To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

In Memoriam to TFFO

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Telegraph Fantasy Football Online Squad Manager (TFFOSM) - formerly TTF, TFFO & TPLO. For Telegraph Newspaper games see forums above.
admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

In Memoriam to TFFO

Post by admin »

So, as announced by TFFootball on FISO on 15 July, The Telegraph are not running TFFO this season!

TFFO under its various names (TFFOSM, TTF, TPLO) has been one of the most popular interactive squad-based Fantasy Football games created since time began (time began circa 1991 when FF games started running in the UK). It was also the first FF game won by 'admin' (00/01 season when I believe there were over 60,000 entries). No doubt the incredible growth of the free to play FPL game has impacted on TFFO but its disappearance will leave an enormous gap not only in the marketplace for pay-to-play squad games (with OFL probably the best of the rest) but also in the hearts of many ex-TFFO managers.

Hopefully those that played TFFO agree that tis better to have played TFFO and lost, than never to have played TFFO at all (apologies Tennyson). Please use this topic to record your thoughts and memories on playing TFFO.

To also commemorate the passing of the much loved TFFO and acknowledge its loss to the FF community, there will be a 30 minute period of silence on FISO tomorrow (23rd July) lunchtime.

RIP TFFO.

El Neilio 10
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Banned from telling the truth in the "Elite league - 2011 / 12" thread
FS Record: First Sun Weekly winner of the second decade of the third Millennium

Re: In Memoriam to TFFO

Post by El Neilio 10 »

admin wrote: To also commemorate the passing of the much loved TFFO and acknowledge its loss to the FF community, there will be a 30 minute period of silence on FISO tomorrow (23rd July) lunchtime.

RIP TFFO.
LOL!

:lol:

Edit: Must apologise. Didn't realise above was meant to be taken 100% seriously. And posted before thinking. :oops: Never played the game though hope something similar comes along to take its place (for the benefit of those who enjoyed it over the years)...

Once more, no offence meant. :?
Last edited by El Neilio 10 on 23 Jul 2010, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

What's the punishment for not respecting the 30 minute period of silence tomorrow?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I only played for 3 seasons when, by all accounts, number were on the decline due to mismanagement but it gave me my only season long top 10 spot (OK my only season long top 100 spot...).

07/08- single entrant, started off dreadfully, struggled on to finish in top 1k realising how hard it is to move up with so few transfers against teams who, as they are ahead, must have better players! Discovered the beauty of the great challenge of it compared with the more 'simplistic' TFF.

08/09 - single entrant glory, didn't think I'd done much different to the previos year but somehow found myself in around 30th place and slowly climbing to the top 10. Hovered around 6th-7th for the last month or so, overtaking and being overtaken. Was 7th overall and the 4th placed manager (ignoring Oddsman's multi teams) going into the final weekend with cash prizes for the top 3 managers but never looked like changing either and that is where I finished, 1 spot from glory.

09/10 - single entry + ISO. Never really got it going but came from outside top 1k to about 300th (bad memory). Was looking forward to improving again this year.....

Great camaraderie on FISO amongst TFFOers too.

RIP.

(PS What time are the servers going down for a site update tomorrow? :wink: )

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

murf wrote: (PS What time are the servers going down for a site update tomorrow? :wink: )
No server downtime. Just a mark of respect.

reds363
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 28th 06/07; TFFO 3rd 09/10; TFF 3rd 12/13

Post by reds363 »

TFFO had become my favourite game. Have played it since 06/07 season, entering a steady 3 teams each year.

In my first year my ISO entry was my success story, getting on some good bandwagons in the autumn (Ronaldo, Lescott, Matt Taylor in his days as a Pompey defender :shock: ), edging into the top 10 overall around Christmas. Couldn't convert it into anything better but settled for a respectable top-20 finish and an ISO victory, while my other two teams came in just outside the top 100.

The next two seasons went past with not much going right, no top-100 finishes, and a 1000th+ team in both years. Don't really remember what I did differently, maybe varied my 3 teams too much. :?

Then last season which started off a bit like the previous two, but like in 06/07, one team started to come good around November/December. It jumped from 108th to 18th between Christmas and New Year, and I knew I had a chance of doing well as I still had 8 transfers. Finally broke into the top 10 in February and hit 3rd at the end of March. I used my last two transfers and final-day striker selections as wild gambles to try and catch the top two, unsuccessfully. Meanwhile my ISO team had risen to 15th and taken that title again, and my third team edged into the top 100 in the final weeks too.

The flange-by-flange involvement and enjoyment that I got from TFFO in the second half of last season will never be matched by any other fantasy game, in my opinion. I would have entered more teams in 10/11 but the powers that be decided that was not to be. I hope the game can return in some form somewhere someday.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

admin wrote:
To also commemorate the passing of the much loved TFFO and acknowledge its loss to the FF community, there will be a 30 minute period of silence on FISO tomorrow (23rd July).

RIP TFFO.
As a mark of respect the forum will shortly be offline for 30 mins from 12:30pm to 1pm.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

Seriously?

The Ledge
Dumbledore
FS Record: 6th place TFF finish, MotW winner, Highest Climber and Div 15 champ.

Re: In Memoriam to TFFO - Forum Offline 30 mins at 12:30pm

Post by The Ledge »

Admin - couldn't you wait until 12:00 on the 14th August for the 30 minutes downtime. I think that would make it more significamt :wink:

Great idea by the way :D

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Jonathan wrote:Seriously?
Yes, seriously, TFFOSM is no more. :cry:

unc.si
Grumpy Old Man

Post by unc.si »

TFFOSM RIP

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

A game that I both thoroughly enjoyed and completely hated playing. Enjoyed it most when MotM had a decent pot, hated it most when I missed a weekend's changes and dropped like a stone. Flirted with the top 10 once upon a time, mainly gave up around Xmas, or shortly after the 3 January transfers were used up :-)

Hadn't really got in to it for several years but still enjoyed participating.

Bring it back! NOW!!!

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Thanks for respectfully :wink: observing the 30 mins of silence.

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

admin wrote:
Well I was actually referring to the closing of FISO for 30 mins rather than the game! It was a game I knew nothing about, because I am pretty shocking at fantasy football, but I can understand the disappointment, especially as it was considered a pioneer of fantasy football games. I just thought you were joking about taking FISO offline in respect!

tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

Post by tedbull »

TFFO got 30 minutes silence.

Michael Jackson got two threads. :lol:

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Jonathan wrote:
admin wrote:
Well I was actually referring to the closing of FISO for 30 mins rather than the game!
You don't say? :wink:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

The best fantasy football game ever.
It's the one that got me started with fantasy sports and the one that got me involved with FISO.
Probably the most pioneering fantasy game there is (or was).
The first fantasy game I ever won money from (although there has been only 2 games I have ever won anything from)
The most enjoyable fantasy sports game

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Post by AKNel1 »

Played it once, didn't like it. :twisted: although I did enjoy discussing flanges :shock:

Sad to see it go though - are all pay to play FF games going to die ???

Art Vandelay
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: not bad

Post by Art Vandelay »

TFFO is, of course, the greatest of all Fantasy Football games. I first played TFFO in (I think) its second ever season. After a slow start a Freddie Ljungberg inspired late charge up the table saw me finish around 40th. Although I'd played newspaper games before that was the first time I got really involved in a fantasy football game and my relative success gave me the belief I could one day win one. A belief that was fulfilled a few seasons later 8-)

Over the years I've had 5 or 6 leaderboard finishes (and a couple in the short lived championship version) with the highlight being the 'Total Football' season where I was top 20 for most of the season, eventually finishing 7th. If it wasn't for a very unfortunate Viduka to Yakubu switch halfway through that could have been my season for TFFO glory.

I'd like to dedicate any future Fantasy Football success to TFFO. Much missed, never forgotten.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2nd YTM 09/10; 3 TFFO Top 10 finishes; 6th TFCI 2008.

Post by AkNotSpur »

Played every season as, ironically, the Telegraph advertised Season 1 in their weekly overseas edition stating that this was the game for expats and, consequently, the Regional and Country Leagues were moved from TFF to TFFO. Had a few quiet seasons before a good run at the end of the 2002-03 season (Scholes* hat-trick at Newcastle), together with discovering FISO sparked the start of my (almost) golden run.

I finished 6th in Brogies Season (2003/04), 7th in 04/05 (after leading into the New Year with lots of spare transfers) and 5th in the following (Total Football) season. Thereafter, due to changing personal circumstances and disenchantment with the running of the game (the loss of regional & country prizes, then leagues and then the total exclusion of non-UK residents:( ), I lost a bit of enthusiasm and momentum but managed to finish 30th in the final season.

Without doubt -at it's peak (before the Web Site was ruined), the best FF game that I've played - helped by the banter on the wonderful ('Friendly') FISO Forum.

Thanks for the memories, TFFO. 8-)

STINKYGOLDFISH
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Finished 19th in last years Sun Dream Team, best on FISO

Post by STINKYGOLDFISH »

There's me yesterday thinking one of the regular posters had passed away :shock:

What a ridiculous thread.

Pouzar
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd in TFFO 2005

Post by Pouzar »

Best game, best forum ever. Never did better than my first season when I won the first month without using a transfer and finished third overall when the third prize was bigger. Had a few good years after that but the past 2 years I made some deadly mistakes setting up my teams, lost buckets of points and got discouraged. I will miss it. Hope to see some of those great people here, like AK, Unc, Malrom, Oddsman and so many others. Finally I can play legally again!!!

looneytoon77
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFFO 07/08 15th place, TFF Twitter League 3rd Place 12/13, William Hill MOTM 5 Winner 12/13, William Hill Season Winner 2012/13

Post by looneytoon77 »

Brilliant game & never to be compared to any other I have played for enjoyment & also frustration but that was the beauty of it!

Have played for around 10 seasons, always managing to get at least 1 team in the top 100. Best season was 3 years ago when I finished 15th, highest I ever was dduring anyone time was 4thm 2 seasons ago around November time but then ended up around the 40th mark at the end!

Have enjoyed some great chats & opinions on FISO, debating what to play this season, will avoid TFF just out of principal I think...

I don't think it will ever re-appear despite the dangled carrot by TFF on here when they were trying to justify it's removal, must admit, my enjoyment of the premiership games will be more lacking this season without my treasured TFFO... :cry:

looneytoon77
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFFO 07/08 15th place, TFF Twitter League 3rd Place 12/13, William Hill MOTM 5 Winner 12/13, William Hill Season Winner 2012/13

Post by looneytoon77 »

STINKYGOLDFISH wrote:There's me yesterday thinking one of the regular posters had passed away :shock:

guessing you never played this game stinky?

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

I noticed that friends/relatives of Can-You-Kick-It (CYKI) sneaked in at back of the memorial service as well - our thoughts are with them also on their recent loss :cry:

Oddsman
FISOhead
FS Record: Daily Mail Winner 2014-15 TFFOSM Winner 2007-08 & 2008-09; TFC 5th 2001; TFF 7th 2009-10

Post by Oddsman »

Code: Select all

TFFO HALL OF FAME
00/01 Chris King (admin)
01/02 
02/03
03/04 (Brogie)
04/05
05/06 Neil Carrington (FrankieFrog) - Tedbear
06/07 Zoran (SoccerCaffe) - Sara 6
07/08 Jeff Cole (Oddsman) - Elephant
08/09 Jeff Cole (Oddsman) - Fish
09/10 Graham Batchelor (coldpigeon) - Cold Pigeon
For posterity I thought it might be a good idea for us to work out, and list, all the previous winners.

Feel free to fill in the gaps and repost.

Perhaps TFFootball could help us if we get totally stuck. :wink:
Last edited by Oddsman on 24 Jul 2010, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

STINKYGOLDFISH
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Finished 19th in last years Sun Dream Team, best on FISO

Post by STINKYGOLDFISH »

looneytoon77 wrote:
STINKYGOLDFISH wrote:There's me yesterday thinking one of the regular posters had passed away :shock:

guessing you never played this game stinky?
Never actually played it, so fair enough i cant criticise the game but is there really any need to have 30mins silence 'cos it's gone.

I used to love the 9-ball pool on King.com for years, then as a money-making exercise they decided to change it to a newer 'cartoon' version that everybody knows is shy-hiiiii- teeeee.

The 9-ball community didnt conduct a funeral though :lol:

Oddsman
FISOhead
FS Record: Daily Mail Winner 2014-15 TFFOSM Winner 2007-08 & 2008-09; TFC 5th 2001; TFF 7th 2009-10

Post by Oddsman »

Stinky - we are not just mourning the loss of the best ever fantasy football game (period) - we are also going to miss the banter of arguably the friendliest FISO forum.

Think I started playing in 03/04 and remember getting totally addicted to the game almost from the first flange :shock: After playing TFF since the early 1990's I soon found my feet and finished my first season reasonably well - although I clearly remember missing out on 20 points when I forgot to set up a fllange in which T Henry scored & assisted. Funny how we all remember our mistakes - but it proved to be a good lesson as it was never repeated :shock:

Not sure about the 04/05 (is the old FISO website accessible Chris?) but I do remember reaching the summit in 05/06 only to lose my composure at a vital time and lose out to FrankieFrog in the gruelling TotalFootball season.

The 07/08 was a vintage season - such a rollercoaster with so many FISOers taking their turn at the summit (worm, MV, PG, Greenie, ...) until it all came down to the FA Cup final with Krancjar's failure to score - handing me the title :D Great moment.

I would almost equate winning national Fantasy Football titles to winning golf majors :shock: What I mean is, until you win one, you don't know if you will ever win, but once you have it gives you the confidence to win again.

My confidence going into the 08/09 knew no bounds - and so it proved to be as I reached January with 3 Animals on the podium :shock: No doubt a bit boring for the rest but i doubt I will ever match, in any other comp, my finish of 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th (from 9 teams) :D

And so to the final season - I have to admit that when I hit the summit last November - I felt sure that I was going to pull off the half-a-trillion-to-one treble :shock: But fair play to Graham and MV who had other ideas :wink:

So no more TFFO :( - gonna be a massive loss. Great memories though and fantastic times shared with you all on this forum. Might take a internal Telegraph coup and certainly would be a longshot but maybe, just maybe we will be back in 12 months time 8-)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Oddsman wrote:

Code: Select all

TFFO HALL OF FAME
00/01 Chris King (admin)
01/02 
02/03
03/04 (Brogie)
04/05
05/06 Neil Carrington (FrankieFrog) - Tedbear
06/07 Zoran (SoccerCaffe) - Sara 6
07/08 Jeff Cole (Oddsman) - Elephant
08/09 Jeff Cole (Oddsman) - Fish
09/10 Graham Batchelor (coldpigeon) - Cold Pigeon
For posterity I thought it might be a good idea for us to work out, and list, all the previous winners.

Feel free to fill in the gaps and repost.

Perhaps TFFootball could help us if we get totally stuck. :wink:
I was top for a game week in Dec 2003 i believe :) . Finished 78th in the end so no prize but just being top for a week was an achievement for me

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

RomynPG wrote:I noticed that friends/relatives of Can-You-Kick-It (CYKI) sneaked in at back of the memorial service as well - our thoughts are with them also on their recent loss :cry:
ADMIN is probably planning a separate 30 minutes Fiso shutdown dedicated to CYKI next week Romyn, as CYKI almost certainly had as many Fiso devotees - probably far more.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football Online Squad Manager (TFFOSM)”