To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Pro Cycling Chit Chat

A forum for fans of Fantasy Cycling games (including Fantasy Tour de France)
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Pro Cycling Chit Chat

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, the barrier security was very poor, with pieces flung across into the approaching peloton which could have caused further serious injuries. Presumably such safety standards are higher at the Grand Tours?

Sounds like the official/photographer (accounts vary) will be reasonably OK, and no other riders received critical injuries though a couple of race-ending ones.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

not sure its perfect at the GT's (there have been plenty of incidents), but yes, I'm sure its better.

did see one comment that not having crowds against the barriers meant that they didn't stay in place, which does sort of make sense. I guess if there were a few tonnes of spectators holding the barriers in place they wouldn't have come apart so easily and he may have stayed on the road.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

It’s quite possible to clip a spectator’s bag or similar though, Lance famously did it on a mountain stage that he got up and went on to “win”, but sure it’s happened on a sprint finish at some stage as well. So it maybe both adds and removes risk to take them away. Sure the TdF will be looking at the issue anyway.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Didn't they change the barriers a few years back to stop their bases sticking into the road?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

murf wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 17:55 Didn't they change the barriers a few years back to stop their bases sticking into the road?
Yes, although the ones in Poland look more like the old style, Abdou era...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Jakobsen reported to be awake and recovering.

Hopefully this was a wake-up call for sprinters and race organisers alike, anyway.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

got round to watching MSR last night (well, from the Cipressa onwards anyway - obviously not the first 6 hours!)

Fantastic race. For what should be the dullest of the Monuments, it always comes up with drama. Whilst no-one has won off the Cipressa for a long time, its perfect to string things out a bit and drop legs with 270km in them, then the Poggio is just the perfect length and difficulty to make for a classic finish.

if the Cipressa and Poggio were at the end of the 200km race they wouldn't be hard enough to be selective, but after 300km...

Great to see some racing again. to be honest I'm really looking forward to seeing the Spring Classics in September / October. De Ronde and P-R at the end of October.... Can't wait - not sure the riders will agree if we get a wet Belgian autumn though :-)

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Post by sibrown4 »

unc.si. wrote:got round to watching MSR last night (well, from the Cipressa onwards anyway - obviously not the first 6 hours!)

Fantastic race. For what should be the dullest of the Monuments, it always comes up with drama. Whilst no-one has won off the Cipressa for a long time, its perfect to string things out a bit and drop legs with 270km in them, then the Poggio is just the perfect length and difficulty to make for a classic finish.

if the Cipressa and Poggio were at the end of the 200km race they wouldn't be hard enough to be selective, but after 300km...

Great to see some racing again. to be honest I'm really looking forward to seeing the Spring Classics in September / October. De Ronde and P-R at the end of October.... Can't wait - not sure the riders will agree if we get a wet Belgian autumn though :-)
Not sure whether they would,prefer a 280 kms ride in 32 degree heat or wet Belgium downpours!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Jakobson back in the Netherlands. Seems to have been incredibly lucky. Walked himself from the ambulance to the plane. Going to need a lot of work on his face but no apparent brain injuries and he can walk. Incredible after the crash that he had.

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Post by sibrown4 »

unc.si. wrote:Jakobson back in the Netherlands. Seems to have been incredibly lucky. Walked himself from the ambulance to the plane. Going to need a lot of work on his face but no apparent brain injuries and he can walk. Incredible after the crash that he had.
Which is very encouraging news. Good luck with the recovery young man.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Froome well off the pace in the Dauphine, as per the two previous warm-up events.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Is he so far off the pace that he’ll get in the Ineos TdF team as a non-threatening super domestique?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 22:14 Froome well off the pace in the Dauphine, as per the two previous warm-up events.
If this was a Grand Tour I'd assume he sat up so as to be so far back the pack let him go for breaks and stage wins.

I reckon he'll (be dropped for/)skip Le Tour and go for the Vuelta and give some excuse about still building fitness.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Bit strange really. Froome looked like he just sat up and took the end of the stage easy, rather than being dropped. Saving himself to be fresh for the Col du Porte today maybe?

guess we'll know more in the next few days of proper climbing, but yeah, can't see him going to the Tour at the moment.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Maybe he is trying to get the Contract terminated early so he can swap teams....

Geoffv
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 301st overall FPL 2013-14

Post by Geoffv »

Loved today’s stage. INEOS went out to make a statement. Sepp Kuss was awesome as Roglic last bagman and boy did Roglic shoot off at the end. Interesting to see Bernal tire at the end with Froome
and Thomas unable to take much of a turn at the front.

3 more climbing stages. Great stuff

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

No way Froome makes the Tour team. He looked over his shoulder at G and basically said I can't do a turn, its down to you to get on the front earlier.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Geoffv wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 20:46 Loved today’s stage. INEOS went out to make a statement. Sepp Kuss was awesome as Roglic last bagman and boy did Roglic shoot off at the end. Interesting to see Bernal tire at the end with Froome
and Thomas unable to take much of a turn at the front.

3 more climbing stages. Great stuff
Only shame was Yates folding....

I think G was there for a while, but yes - Ineos got battered, which I kinda like.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Well it’s clearly just a training ride for Froome but for him to drop off before he even took his turn at the front isn’t a great sign. Castro and Kwiat did some fantastic work but Froome went missing and G could only manage about 400m.
Set it up nicely for Kuss to launch Roglic. Kuss looked very very good to be honest.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

All of Jumbo have since the restart.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:All of Jumbo have since the restart.
Roglic for the Tour?

Or are Ineos that bit more shrewd and scientific so will peak for the end of the Tour?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I probably still slightly favour Bernal to be honest, although I'd love to see Pinot win it.

Heart says Pinot, head says Bernal or Roglic

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

has anyone seen the pictures of yesterdays hailstorm by the way :shock:

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sibrown4 »

unc.si. wrote:has anyone seen the pictures of yesterdays hailstorm by the way :shock:
And the bodily damage from the falling hailstones! Tim Declercq had some battle scars.

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sibrown4 »

murf wrote:
Roglic for the Tour?

Or are Ineos that bit more shrewd and scientific so will peak for the end of the Tour?
As has been noted this years Dauphine may not be as a good a thermometer to what will happen in the Tour given the early date it has been run from the restart. But INEOS look well off LJV and Roglic will go in as a firm favourite. That said 21 stages and anything could happen.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I saw those pictures of Declercq and to be honest the first thing I thought was how unhealthy his skin looks (ignoring the welts from the hail).
Why is he so green?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Looks like he’s in poor light on the team bus but I know what you mean

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

sibrown4 wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 14:45
murf wrote:
Roglic for the Tour?

As has been noted this years Dauphine may not be as a good a thermometer to what will happen in the Tour given the early date it has been run from the restart. But INEOS look well off LJV and Roglic will go in as a firm favourite. That said 21 stages and anything could happen.

Once the Froome decision has been made INEOS will pull together, is my suspicion. They can’t maintain their usual unity of purpose when it is effectively an internal playoff for supremacy. They were off the pace again today though.

Re Froome and Bernal I started to write this in Gladiatorial terms (‘He must kill your name’) but it’s not even that close and actually quite sad to see a once dominant big beast of the sport having to state that he’s ‘optimistic of a place’. Is it age? Fitness? After effects of the injury? A bit of each?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 16:55 Re Froome and Bernal I started to write this in Gladiatorial terms (‘He must kill your name’) but it’s not even that close and actually quite sad to see a once dominant big beast of the sport having to state that he’s ‘optimistic of a place’. Is it age? Fitness? After effects of the injury? A bit of each?
I just don’t think you come back from an injury like that, certainly not at 36. I previously referenced Beloki and Schleck who were probably no older than 30 at the time of their serious injuries and never contended at the top level again.

Still expect Bernal and Ineos to walk it, warm-up races often mean little once the dominant team/rider arrive at the big one.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Apparently the Ineos who ride TdF are all getting new Ferraris, or something like that....

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Cycling”