To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

NFL chat 2023/24 season

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy National Football League (American Football) games
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: NFL chat 2019/20 season

Post by blahblah »

Fields I think. (Im pants at names lol)

This draft was definitely a punt on a low round QB as the top 2 or 3 have glaring weaknesses. Can the Pack get out of the dead Salary Cap on Rogers? I do like the idea of him in New England, so maybe the question is NE avoiding a Salary Cap hit.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Dalton to Dallas, so obviusly I can't like him now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Newton to the Patriots. Low risk high reward

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

What next Kaep as back up?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Interesting! Belichick could well make a success of this reclamation project if Cam is fully fit...

In other news, more penalties for filming opponents for the Cheatriots.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

That Non-Punishment took ages....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Are Cheetahs Panthers over there?

My guess is that there are a whack of FA WR's from Callaway (dumped by Browns up to Josh Gordon and others).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Mahomes signs a $0.5bn 10-year deal :shock:

Meanwhile, sounds like the Racistskins are finally going to change their name after sponsor pressure.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep, I made it 800k a week for the year. I'm not up with Guaranteed etc bits. It's interesting re Salary Cap and who else they can afford? Oh and how much Dak can get (which will be too much) 😂😂😂

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

I didn't realise you could extend for that long in the NFL. It could be the best deal ever but it could be a disaster if he gets injured or loses his magic.

Cap-wise it can't be good for the Chiefs. They're currently paying him $4million a year. The other 40ish has to come from elsewhere surely,

Backup quarterback must be the best job in the world. Houston's backup gets paid more than Watson. A couple of backups I looked at have $30+ million in career earnings without throwing more than a couple of hundred times in their career

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, I wonder how much journeyman backups like Clipboard Jesus earned in their careers?

KC had to tie up Mahomes to a mega-deal otherwise it they would have been heading towards franchise tag and free agency scenarios in a couple of years. Presumably there are break clauses somewhere along the line? Having an MVP-level QB on a rookie contract is a huge bonus, but one that’s never sustainable, and before long such teams typically have to pay the QB and make cuts elsewhere on the roster. Which is probably why, Brady apart, veteran superstar QBs rarely win Super Bowls.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I started reading up on it, and gave up lol.

It seems to be less money for the first half ie 40m for 6 then 50 for 6 (it is a 10 year extension on his existing 2, but even that may be too simplistic re "new" money) and there may be incentives included in the headline figure. Tbh this sort of stuff is what Florio is really good at explaining.

For me the interesting bit is the Salary Cap and whether it (via new tv deals) goes up as much as people think. Pre Covid it had a far higher ceiling than now with mass global redundancies. Toss in the (unique?) situation of more QB's than teams and his deal could well be OTT and leave him well behind re OL and Weapons...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, they’re best off with a shit defence and just letting him try to outscore everyone. If they neglect the rest of the offense, he will be injured and/or pissed off. The biggest act of negligence in recent NFL history was the Colts’ tissue paper O-line that put a generational talent like Luck out of the league in seven years.

If you’re paying a QB bigly you have to trade and draft well, and move on players when you can’t afford to keep them. But it’s tough to do. The closest thing to an NFC dynasty in recent years was the Seahawks when they had Wilson on a third round rookie deal so could keep the Legion of Boom intact for a number of years.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep to first bit. For the SB I thought, and sure posted, that SF needed over 30 points to win and KC would top that ie 49ers only chance was a low scoring match.... Whether KC can afford an OL and Kelce and Hill to keep them over 30 with no early draft pick is the interesting bit, and why NE were so good.

Seahawks re interesting&confusing for me as they are run and defence first yet have Wilson....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, Carroll still playing his style of football when it no longer suits the personnel. If you have one of the top three passing QBs in the league then you have to let him throw it. Wilson won’t be wanting to run like he did in early career now he’s the other side of 30, and they’ve struggled for durability at RB since Beast Mode (initially) retired. They’ve always remained competitive despite that though...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Shite Conference until last year?

#believeland - thus is the year 😂😂😂

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

So Washington need a new knix name... My best ideas do far:
Whitefaces
Whiteys (from Gil Scott Her on; Whiteys on the Moon)
Winners (after its what I do, Moyes)
W@nkers
Confederates
Klansmen
Washerwomen
Reds

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC 2012 T20 - 3rd in runs league

Post by Rick Spangle »

The Washington Domestic Cats - with an acknowledgement of their toothlessness - with the added advantage of being able to abbreviate it to the Washington DC's.
I always loved Gregg Easterbrook (writer of the column TMQ, Tuesday Morning Quarterback) calling them "the Potomac Drainage Basin Indigineous Persons"

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Will be interesting to see if they go with something in keeping with the “red” theme, or a complete clean break and maybe even new colour scheme.

Chiefs next in the firing line? (Their Exeter rugby namesakes are getting a few questions...)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm really not up on the Native issue\words tbh; but Cleveland Indians are near the top if the hit list.

Tbh I think the Cowboys are going to be in the firing line as part of the genocide, but it might take a while although there is a lot to be said for jumping before being pushed?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Interesting, I hadn’t thought of that one regarding Dallas...

“Indian” still seems to divide opinion, but suspect that team will be forced into a change. Atlanta Braves have stated they will not be changing name.

“Chief” of course is neither an ethnic slur nor specific to Native Americans, but the imagery that typically surrounds it as a sporting nickname is clearly problematic.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

re Chief: it depends where\when the word started? I would assume it is Chief and Indians related, but could be wrong.

re Cowboys: well it was genocide? Then there is the self-proclaimed "America's team", which really doesn't help, imho.

I watch a lot of US Sports News stuff and it is actually very interesting hearing this stuff discussed, and now DeSean Jackson (I think) has weighed in with Anti Semitism and quoting Adolf in Tweets or something. The Eagles have a Jewish GM and Ownership....

Tbh I find BLM, the effects of Social Media etc fascinating and I wish I had done Sociology in the 1st year of my Social Studies Degree lol.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

From Middle English chef, borrowed from Old French chief (“leader”), from Vulgar Latin *capum (from which also captain, chieftain), from Latin caput (“head”) (English cap (“head covering”)), from Proto-Indo-European *kauput- (English head).

So the Native American context is clearly a relatively modern application of the word, even though the one that has inspired the sporting nickname.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

So you are blaming the French in America? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am trying to think if we had Ch(i)efs way back in pre-Roman times....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I always thought the similarity between the words “chef” and “chief” was just coincidence...

They could be the Kansas City Chefs, with a different kind of head-dress :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 18:20 I always thought the similarity between the words “chef” and “chief” was just coincidence...

They could be the Kansas City Chefs, with a different kind of head-dress :wink:
That Doughman bod of adveerts from long ago?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Apparently Redtails is on the table which has something todowith Korean pilots on the Yank's side in WWII. Seriously wot the wotsit.... I genuinely thought a Redtail would be a beautiful Galapagos type of bird :))

Obviously "Reds" is a bit Communist:)) but moving from Native Americans to Koreans is a tad freaking stupid?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Tails

Don’t see any references to Korea... it is also a bird (red-tailed hawk).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 20:31 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Tails

OK, may have been descendents of slaves in US, which kinda makes it worse?

I thought I heard Korean as I have a load of SK films, and some are brilliant - which reminds me whyI went in to local music\film shop toget the 4k of the Oscar Winner....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 20:37
forestfan wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 20:31 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Tails

OK, may have been descendents of slaves in US, which kinda makes it worse?
Or is it considered a bit of proud black American history? You would have to ask a black American I guess (assuming they all agree on the matter, that is...) Sure they will weigh up any potential issues with a new name, they have until the new season starts in September (year to be confirmed...)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy NFL”