FISO ESPN NFL Season 10

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy National Football League (American Football) games
Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC 2012 T20 - 3rd in runs league

FISO ESPN NFL Season 10

Post by Rick Spangle »

FISO ESPN NFL celebrates it's 10th birthday :D
I've just re-activated the league - keepers to be selected by 5pm 21st August (must select two keepers), and hoping to have the draft on our traditional 9pm Sunday night slot, preferably for me on the 4th September, but 28th August would be OK at a pinch.
Draft order is set, depending on the success, or otherwise, in last year's competition.
And a note that Sport Billy is 1st reserve, having got his application in nice and early :D

Sport Billy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 1st 2014 ESPN 6 Nations, 2nd 2015 Shaggy World Snooker: FPL Pontoon Champion 2014/15, 1st Euro 2016 Qualifiers predictor, 2nd 2015 FISO Superbru Golf Predictor

Re: FISO ESPN NFL Season 10

Post by Sport Billy »

Don't forget me.......oh, well played!

crystal tips
Red & Blue Braces

Post by crystal tips »

Yes please.

Asdral225
Treebeard

Post by Asdral225 »

I'm in again thanks

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Thanks for all your quick, affirmative, replies - just waiting for Bruschi 54s.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Bruschi 54s are back, so it's an unchanged league again :D

Everyone happy with 9pm 4th September as draft time? I'll put a poll up on the ESPN site - if 3 or more people object, I'll look at changing it.
As everyone's now confirmed, there seems no reason why keepers have to be selected so relatively early, so I'm pushing the keeper date back a week to 28th August so people aren't stuck with a Jordy Nelson type situation from last year.

Sorry Sport Billy - maybe next year?

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Poll has now closed, and there were only two people against the 9pm 4th September draft spot - so, that's when it will be. Sorry to the two who weren't happy with it, but obviously it's going to be very difficult to please everyone. If the two against could reassure me that they'll go along with it, or at the worst autodraft, that would be appreciated, thanks.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Keepers have now been locked in, and are as below:

BRUSCHI 54'S
Jamaal Charles, KC RB
Julio Jones, Atl WR

CARACAS FIRECRACKERS
T.Y. Hilton, Ind WR
Russell Wilson, Sea QB

FOREST TIGERS
Brandin Cooks, NO WR
Blake Bortles, Jax QB

BARRY CROCKERS
Rob Gronkowski, NE TE
Allen Robinson, Jax WR

PUTNEY GOONERS
Adrian Peterson, Min RB
Le'Veon Bell, Pit RB

FULCHESTER FISH
Aaron Rodgers, GB QB
Alshon Jeffery, Chi WR

GET IT RIGHT NEXT TIME
Drew Brees, NO QB
Todd Gurley, LA RB

CORNISH TINNERS
Antonio Brown, Pit WR
Devonta Freeman, Atl RB

CHINGFORD GINGERS
Sammy Watkins, Buf WR
Carlos Hyde, SF RB

PORTSMOUTH PIRATES
A.J. Green, Cin WR
David Johnson, Ari RB

CRYSTAL TIPPS
Andrew Luck, Ind QB
Charles Clay, Buf TE

X - MEN
Odell Beckham Jr., NYG WR
Greg Olsen, Car TE

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Thanks to all of you for the draft last night - sorry I was a bit quiet in the chatroom, concentrating on two drafts at the same time. Anyhow, seemed to go without a hitch, unlike both drafts on the NFL.com website which was not behaving itself by randomly putting all owners on autodraft and dropping them out :(
And we start on Thursday - almost there...!

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

I'm just putting a few thoughts down for next year and hopefully beyond - I'll bounce this nearer the time.

1) I would like to revert to the 1st tiebreak being total points scored rather than head-to-head.

2) I would like to alter the scoring for kickers. Since the extra-point try was moved back to the 15 yard line with the obvious increase in difficulty, it seems bizarre that 3 points are awarded for a 20 yard field goal and 1 point for a 33 yard PAT. I propose a flat scoring rate of 2 points per succesful kick, with 1 point loss for a missed kick under 40 yards and a bonus 1 point of successful kicks of 50 yards or more.

3) A maximum length of time for keepers (maybe 3 seasons?)

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

SEASON 10 REVIEW

Congratulations to Alan Loveridge and Get It Right Next Time (formerly Pictures of Home) on their first ESPN superbowl victory :D And I guess a team name change is now in order? :lol:
1st Get It Right Next Time 10-4 - will draft #12 next year 2nd Bruschi 54s 10-4 - will draft #11 next year 3rd Chingford Gingers 8-6 - will draft #10 next year 4th X-Men 9-5 - will draft #9 next year 5th Cornish Tinners 7-7 - will draft #1 next year 6th Caracas Firecrackers 8-6 - will draft #2 next year 7th Portsmouth Pirates 7-7 - will draft #3 next year 8th Fulchester Fish 6-8 - will draft #4 next year 9th Putney Gooners 7-7 - will draft #5 next year 10th Crystal Tipps 4-10 - will draft #6 next year 11th Forest Tigers 3-11 - will draft #7 next year 12th Barry Crockers 5-9 - will draft #8 next year
Team reviews

1st Get It Right Next Time
Definite stars of the year, always at or near the top of their division and heaviest scorers of the league by quite a margin. Split their first four games but almost continual success after that with only two more losses for the whole of the rest of the year, and one of those was only by two points. Shows the value of playing out losing seasons - GIRNT won both consolation ladder games last year to secure the top draft spot for this year and thus were able to grab star free agent Ezekiel Elliott.

2nd Bruschi 54s
10 wins in a season is always a good year and almost guaranteed playoff games - semi-final duly won, but unfortunately the 54s saved probably their worst performance of the year for the championship game, certainly their worst loss of the year margin-wise. So close for the founder and chairman of this esteemed league!

3rd Chingford Gingers
Alternated wins and losses for the first 12 games, then just rousing themselves at the last with two wins in the final two games of the regular season to grab the division title. It always looked a tough semifinal against the 54s but a good last week gave them 3rd place overall.

4th X-Men
A nice 7-3 record after 10 weeks in what turned out to be the best division in the league but going 2-2 in the last 4 saw them fall behind Get It Right Next Time in the division race - still, a good enough record to secure them the wildcard, finalised by a win against the ultimate champions in week 14. This turned out to mean a rematch against the same opponents in the first semi (Get It Right Next Time), where the number one seeds reasserted their overall strength and handed X-Men a bit of a pounding. A much better showing in the 3rd/4th game, but final results meant that the 3 division winners finished 1,2 and 3 while the wildcard ended up 4th. Order is restored!

5th Cornish Tinners
Started 4-1 and things were looking good, but then hit a 3 game losing skid, whereafter they bumped along at a .500 rate to end up 7-7 on the season. Two wins in the consolation ladder games meant the season ended on a high as they secured the coveted number one draft spot in next year's league.

6th Caracas Firecrackers
6th again for the FIrecrackers! A very streaky season, starting with two losses, then five wins on the bounce, followed by a three game losing run. Then three wins in the last four games ensured a winning record, just a record not quite good enough for the wildcard spot. And a loss in the final game of the year pushed them out of the top draft spot and the chance of nabbing next year's version of Zeke Elliott. Winning season, not too shabby though.

7th Portsmouth Pirates
A much better showing this year following 2015's disastrous campaign. In fact, 6-2 through 8 weeks was I think the joint best record at that point. From there though, the wheels fell off with only one more win in the regular season. At least managed to beat the Fish in the last game of the year to lift them a place up the draft order.

8th Fulchester Fish
A poor year for the Fish this time around. It started OK with 3 wins in the first four weeks but that was really the highpoint of the season. Too many low weekly scores (only the Tigers ended up with fewer total points). Due to the anaemic nature of the Eastern division, they were still in the hunt for the title until late on but not to be.

9th Putney Gooners
A bit of a comedown from last year for the Gooners as well, 3rd last year, 9th this. And the season started really badly with a nasty looking 2-7 record after 9 weeks. 5 wins in the last 5 games then took them to within an inch of the division title but that start was too much to overcome. Not a completely barren season though - they did manage the high score of the year, 133 points in week 12.

10th Crystal Tipps
A second consecutive rough season for the Tipps, off to a horrible start losing the first five matches. Coupled with finding themselves in the tough Central Division, their year was over rather too quickly.

11th Forest Tigers
If the Fish and the Gooners were disappointed in their campaigns, the Tigers must be desolated - last year's champs falling almost as far as it is possible to fall. 2-2 after 4 weeks, they then went 1-9 for the rest of the year - only a last ditch win against the Crockers saving them from the ultimate first -to-worst season. Unfortunately, it looks a rather thin roster for keeper purposes next year as well.

12th Barry Crockers
Bringing up the rear, the Crockers. A false dawn - they won the first two games, but only three after that for the rest of the year, culminating in two losses in the consolation ladder games to send them to the bottom of the pack.

Highs - and lows...

Best team weekly score - 133 - Putney Gooners, week 12
Worst team weekly score - 44 - Barry Crockers, week 4
Biggest margin of victory - 63 - Portsmouth Pirates over Barry Crockers, week 4 and Bruschi 54s over Crystal Tipps, week 7
Best individual weekly score - 47 - LeVeon Bell, week 14
Worst individual weekly score - -4 - LA Rams DST, week 12

Thanks to everyone again for continuing to play hard to the end, setting rosters week after week, it makes it so much better when there are no dead teams. Enjoy the rest of the holiday season, and wishing everyone a happy 2017. Hope to see you all again in August.
Last edited by Rick Spangle on 07 Jan 2017, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

Sport Billy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 1st 2014 ESPN 6 Nations, 2nd 2015 Shaggy World Snooker: FPL Pontoon Champion 2014/15, 1st Euro 2016 Qualifiers predictor, 2nd 2015 FISO Superbru Golf Predictor

Post by Sport Billy »

Lock me in for first reserve again Rick!....

X-Man
Dumbledore

Post by X-Man »

Thanks for running this again Rick - it's very competitive but enjoyable league.

I seem to recall that you suggested some rule changes somewhere (I though they were in this forum but I can't find them). One was to do with the tie-breaker and another was the points for kickers. I think the final one was about keepers. Have you deleted it?

Happy with anything really although my preference would always be for total points scored for the tie-breaker. Not too fussed about kickers points because other than the outliers they always seem to score between 7-12 points.

On the keepers, I would prefer to have only one keeper than 2. I'm not bothered whether it's for a fixed period but I'd like to see more availability in the draft (and this is from someone who missed the draft this year).

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Thanks Stuart, it's a good league to run - always fair, always competitive - if a little quiet!
Regarding rule changes - you're right, I did have some suggestions. You're also correct in thinking they were somewhere on the forum - well, they're not only on the forum, they're on this actual thread about 4 posts up :wink:

I think I'll leave any polls until much later, say around 4 weeks before next season. Your comment about 1 keeper rather than 2 has been mentioned to me before by someone else, can't remember who - definitely another poll option.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

@Sport Billy - will do.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy NFL”