To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

itslikebrandnew TFF World Cup Blog

A Fantasy Football forum for news on World Cup (TFFWC), European Championships (TFFEC) and Champions League, Europe (TFFE) Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph.
itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

itslikebrandnew TFF World Cup Blog

Post by itslikebrandnew »

I've really been struggling to get my head around why blocks seem to be so favoured on here.

My way of thinking, we pick 11 players to start with and we get 26 transfers so 37 players in total. The target figure taken from another thread is 350 points after the group stage. So with 37 players and 350 points needed that's 9.45 points per player. I think that's achievable so i'm going to have a go.

Here's my team :-

Muslera 3.3m Uruguay
Meunier 3.7m Belgium
Kimmich 4.1m Germany
Hakimi 2.9m Morocco
Kolarov 3.7m Serbia
Ziyech 4.5m Morocco
Isco 4.9m Spain
Muller 5.4m Germany
Smolov 3.7m Russia
Cavani 6m Uruguay
Suarez 6.2m Uruguay

Total 48.4m

Muslera - Clean sheet in the first 2 games?

Meunier - Clean sheet in the first 2 games?

Kimmich - Clean sheet in the first 2 games, maybe an assist?

Hakimi - Bit of a gamble this one as i needed a low value player, hopeful of a clean sheet against Iran? Will have to find another low value player to swap in before they play Portugal. A clean sheet and getting to see maybe a cheap Brazilian/German/Belgium player getting a game would be useful.

Kolarov - Clean sheet in the first game? maybe an assist and will probably swap him out.

Ziyech - Goal against Iran? although will be swapped out before the Portugal game

Isco - Might get lucky with something against Portugal, but hoping for a goal against Iran.

Muller - Must get a goal in his first 2 games?

Smolov - Goal against Saudi Arabia ?

Cavani - Goal / assist at worst in the first 2 games?

Suarez - Goal / assist at worst in the first 2 games?

Any player that hits their target in the first game i'll swap them out and back in before their 2nd game (that's when it might all go wrong as i'll need the player i swap in to get 9.45 points) and any player that has a bad game will go as well if i think i can make the points up elsewhere.For example Suarez has a bad game, i'd take him out and put Messi in as he could get a couple of goals against Iceland. At least if i make a mistake it won't cost 25 points......although 3 mistakes will :lol:

Clueless65
Treebeard

Re: itslikebrandnew TFF World Cup Blog

Post by Clueless65 »

I'll look forward to reading about your progress.

I'm not sure about getting rid of Achraf before Morocco play Portugal though. If he starts then he fits into a well organised defence full of players from the giants of European football - Juventus, Fenerbahce, Real Madrid.......and Wolves. They haven't conceded many goals recently and Portugal are too reliant on Ronaldo, although Bernardo Silva can play a bit. A clean sheet there is not beyond the realms of possibility.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Thanks, i'll keep it updated as it should be interesting to see if i can get anywhere near those with a block defence.

I was assuming Hakimi would play as he's the 3rd highest value defender and looks good value. I need a player that must start that's low value and the idea is to get a clean sheet and then maybe pick up a surprise low value player from one of the bigger teams once i see the team news. It might make more sense for me to for a Russian guaranteed starter but i have very little confidence in the Russian defence.

BLOCKHEAD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

Don't worry - my latest research strongly suggests Hakimi will play. Are we really expecting both Suarez and Cavani to score against Egypt though? Otherwise, surely Griezmann is a better option from the off - not sure which one you would ditch though.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Thanks, don't want to start the game off by picking players that don't play :lol:

The idea behind playing both is that one will score and whichever one does i can take out but also in the hope that both score. I can then go Greizmann - Messi - Muller / Werner - Lukaku - Kans. However if both were to score as soon as this striker sequence fails i could then take out the other Urugian striker to carry this on and won't be playing catch up with points.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Swapping out Kimmich for Sidibe and that will give me an extra .2m to play with. Can always swap to Kimmich after France have played.

Muslera 3.3m Uruguay
Meunier 3.7m Belgium
Sidibe 3.9m France
Hakimi 2.9m Morocco
Kolarov 3.7m Serbia
Ziyech 4.5m Morocco
Isco 4.9m Spain
Muller 5.4m Germany
Smolov 3.7m Russia
Cavani 6m Uruguay
Suarez 6.2m Uruguay

Total 48.2m
Last edited by itslikebrandnew on 03 Jun 2018, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

I'm not understanding your logic on pinning hopes on a Moroccan midfielder for one game.
With the amount of cash in the bank wouldn't it be better to put somebody like Hazard in who will play all three games against three rubbish opponents.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Giggs11 wrote: 29 May 2018, 09:45 I'm not understanding your logic on pinning hopes on a Moroccan midfielder for one game.
With the amount of cash in the bank wouldn't it be better to put somebody like Hazard in who will play all three games against three rubbish opponents.
Because it's just one game, and a game against a very poor Iran side. Look at his stats :- his career average is .34 goals a game, he's the penalty taker, and has 9 goals this season, has created 133 chances and has 13 assists. He'll be a guaranteed starter and i think he can get me the 9 points i need to swap him out for another player straight after game 1.

I might well go with Hazard later, but in from the start and for "three" games....no chance. Belgium will likely have qualified after game 2 so it's by no means guaranteed he'll get 3 games. If i go with Hazard he will go in on the 18th June, and because of his cost probably swapped out and back in again if i want him for 2 games.

The player i'm more concerned about is Muller @ 5.4m....... he's not on penalties and the Mexico game will probably be a low scoring game so i'm looking for alternatives for him from the first few fixtures.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 29 May 2018, 10:01
Giggs11 wrote: 29 May 2018, 09:45 I'm not understanding your logic on pinning hopes on a Moroccan midfielder for one game.
Because it's just one game, and a game against a very poor Iran side. Look at his stats :- his career average is .34 goals a game, he's the penalty taker, and has 9 goals this season, has created 133 chances and has 13 assists. He'll be a guaranteed starter and i think he can get me the 9 points i need to swap him out for another player straight after game 1.

I might well go with Hazard later, but in from the start and for "three" games....no chance. Belgium will likely have qualified after game 2 so it's by no means guaranteed he'll get 3 games. If i go with Hazard he will go in on the 18th June, and because of his cost probably swapped out and back in again if i want him for 2 games.

The player i'm more concerned about is Muller @ 5.4m....... he's not on penalties and the Mexico game will probably be a low scoring game so i'm looking for alternatives for him from the first few fixtures.
This is where I'm baffled by your logic I'm afraid.

A Moroccan midfielder for which you are basing your tactics on stats to get you a goal & I would guess that you've never seen him, Morocco or Iran play so really have no knowledge about the player apart from reading stats.
Versus
Hazard who is one of the best midfielders in the world and playing for one of the tournament favourites in an absolutely toss group.
Belgium may well have qualified by game two but they will still want top spot in the group so I would say that Hazard will play all three games.

By putting him in from the start you have saved a transfer unless of course you think that Morocco will do more damage against Iran than Belgium will against Panama.

littlefeller
Treebeard
FS Record: Sportsbox World Cup winner 2010
7th place TFF 2017

Post by littlefeller »

Belgium will rest players in the second match.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

littlefeller wrote: 29 May 2018, 13:07 Belgium will rest players in the second match.
Interesting theory

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Giggs11 wrote: 29 May 2018, 11:38
itslikebrandnew wrote: 29 May 2018, 10:01

This is where I'm baffled by your logic I'm afraid.

A Moroccan midfielder for which you are basing your tactics on stats to get you a goal & I would guess that you've never seen him, Morocco or Iran play so really have no knowledge about the player apart from reading stats.
Versus
Hazard who is one of the best midfielders in the world and playing for one of the tournament favourites in an absolutely toss group.
Belgium may well have qualified by game two but they will still want top spot in the group so I would say that Hazard will play all three games.

By putting him in from the start you have saved a transfer unless of course you think that Morocco will do more damage against Iran than Belgium will against Panama.
This strategy isn't about saving transfers it's about using them all and getting an average of just over 9pts per player. For all we know Belgium might rotate players in their first 2 games.........it's why i am also thinking of taking out Meuiner and go 3-4-3 with a Russia mid. Some of these David and Goliath games i really want to see the team news first as i've a feeling i could come unstuck if i put players in before seeing the team news.

If you can find me a better alternative than Ziyech that's a guaranteed starter from the opening 2 fixtures then i'm all ears.......otherwise you're going to be wasting your time trying to get me to change from him :lol:

But even if you do, after that player has played, i'd change to Ziyech anyway :mrgreen:

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

If Salah doesnt play in the Egypt v Uruguay game, i'll probably put Godin in, hope for a clean sheet and then transfer him out to Sidibe.

Biddles32
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2020/21 national finishing positions:

Sun dreamteam - 17th

SKy sports - 865th

TFF - 46th

Fanteam - 489th

Fanteam euros - TBC

Sun dream team euros - probable winner 😬

Post by Biddles32 »

Ziyech is a great pick mate 👍🏻 Only for the first game for me though. Will be getting rid straight after. Loads of transfers to burn so might aswell when Morocco playing such a weak team.

He’s even better value in the sun.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Biddles32 wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 16:48 Ziyech is a great pick mate 👍🏻 Only for the first game for me though. Will be getting rid straight after. Loads of transfers to burn so might aswell when Morocco playing such a weak team.

He’s even better value in the sun.
Cheers, glad he only got an assist last night because if he got a 2 goals everyone would be getting him. Just looking to see if i can do any other alterations by getting a player that plays earlier in the competition, but don't want lots of players from the same teams.

I've gone for him in a few of my sun teams as well.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Just changed Isco out for De Maria. Figure he's got more chance of getting me a few points against Iceland than Isco has against Portugal.

Fairly happy with the team now.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

1 more change and put in Hernandez in place of Sidibe. The way today has gone i expect i've got this one wrong as well :lol:

Day 1 Smolov - 2 points for playing and did nothing else. Didn't think much to him so i either have to stick with him to and try to get 7 points out of him or transfer him out and try to get 16 points from whoever i transfer in. Will wait and see what Cavani and Suarez do tomorrow before planning anything.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Muslera 3.3m Uruguay 7pts
Cavani 6m Uruguay 2pts
Suarez 6.2m Uruguay 2pts

Hakimi & Ziyech up next.

Disaster with my strikers in that i've snookered myself with none of them scoring. If i transfer one out i'll need 17 pts from them to catch up.

AdrianJH1984
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: Newbie

Post by AdrianJH1984 »

Hi im a newbie

In the same situation as yourself i had Suarez and Cavani and both drew blanks :shock: just wondering if i transferred them out would I lose my 4 points for them and would i also lose points for using a transfer? Or do i keep my 4 points and then get points for the 2 new strikers i transfer in?

robot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Winner tff world 2018 knockout 2nd TFF Euro 2012 Group Stage,tff weekly winner 13/14wk25, 14/15wk7&19,16/17wk2,,Winner tff champions league two foot challenge, winner sun Elite league 15/16,winner tff 17/18 chairmen league, week32 weekender joint 1st.

Post by robot »

You wont lose the points.

AdrianJH1984
Kevin and Perry

Post by AdrianJH1984 »

robot wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 16:56 You wont lose the points.
Ok fair enough but I dont understand what he meant by he would need to have his striker who replaced his original striker to score 17 points. If your striker gets 2 points for an appearance and if you transfer him out for a lad whos playing tomorrow you get to keep your 2 points for the original striker plus whatever points his replacement gets?

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

AdrianJH1984 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 17:44
robot wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 16:56 You wont lose the points.
Ok fair enough but I dont understand what he meant by he would need to have his striker who replaced his original striker to score 17 points. If your striker gets 2 points for an appearance and if you transfer him out for a lad whos playing tomorrow you get to keep your 2 points for the original striker plus whatever points his replacement gets?
It's my strategy, i need 9.5pts per player and use all 26 transfers. If I transfer out a player who hasn't hit 9.5pts then the next player has to make up the difference.

Suarez out Ronaldo in for tonight.

That late morocco own goal has caused me a big issue now with Hakimi who'll have to go but i have to find a cheap replacement

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Anyway i shouldn't worry about this strategy, it sucks.....or my team selection does. Probably both :lol:

AdrianJH1984
Kevin and Perry

Post by AdrianJH1984 »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 18:52 Anyway i shouldn't worry about this strategy, it sucks.....or my team selection does. Probably both :lol:
I went with a major Uruguay team today had Godin, Gimenez, Muslera and the 2 strikers. Defence was good a bonus that Gimenez scored. The 2 lads didnt score so they only got 4 points so il have to get rid of them and hope there replacements score basically. Just wondering if I transfer out the Moroccan lad and put in Varela will i get Varelas points or am i stuck with Benatia?

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

AdrianJH1984 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 19:07
itslikebrandnew wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 18:52 Anyway i shouldn't worry about this strategy, it sucks.....or my team selection does. Probably both :lol:
I went with a major Uruguay team today had Godin, Gimenez, Muslera and the 2 strikers. Defence was good a bonus that Gimenez scored. The 2 lads didnt score so they only got 4 points so il have to get rid of them and hope there replacements score basically. Just wondering if I transfer out the Moroccan lad and put in Varela will i get Varelas points or am i stuck with Benatia?
You'll get Benatia's points in game 1, and Varelas points in g2 and g3. If you can you're better off transferring in a player that hasnt played yet then you get an extra game out of them if you keep them in.

AdrianJH1984
Kevin and Perry

Post by AdrianJH1984 »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 19:52
You'll get Benatia's points in game 1, and Varelas points in g2 and g3. If you can you're better off transferring in a player that hasnt played yet then you get an extra game out of them if you keep them in.
In the process of getting a cheap defender :lol: Tbh i dont know who France will play at LB they have 3 options :roll: so its either Zanka who doesnt play much for Denmark , Olsson for Sweden or else Mina who we wont know will even play 50/50 not great options :mrgreen:

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

AdrianJH1984 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 20:07
itslikebrandnew wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 19:52
In the process of getting a cheap defender :lol: Tbh i dont know who France will play at LB they have 3 options :roll: so its either Zanka who doesnt play much for Denmark , Olsson for Sweden or else Mina who we wont know will even play 50/50 not great options :mrgreen:
Wait until the team news comes in.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Thanks Ronaldo, he's made up the points with his hat-trick so i can transfer him out tomorrow.

Number of things to look at with a clear head in the morning.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Current team :-

GK Muslera Uruguay 3.3 7pts
DEF Meunier Belgium 3.7
DEF Hernandez France 2.4
DEF Hakimi Morocco 2.9 2pts
DEF Kolarov Serbia 3.7
MID Di Maria Argentina 5
MID Ziyech Morocco 4.5 2pts
MID Muller Germany 5.4
F Smolov Russia 3.7 2pts
F Cavani Uruguay 6 2pts
F Ronaldo Portugal 7 17pts

Just waiting on team news before doing transfers. 2 issues today, 1) keeping within the budget, 2) transferring out underperforming players before their 2nd game will make it extremely tough for the next player to make up the points. any transfers i do today i'll have to take into account worst case scenario of having to keep players for the 2nd game. If i transfer out a player who scored 2 pts for another who then scores 2pts, and i do it again thats 24 pts they have to make up and it's just not realistically achievable.

I'm hoping the 350 target i was told is well off :lol:

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Todays transfers :-

DEF Hakimi Morocco 2.9 2pts - Pavard France 2.7m
MID Ziyech Morocco 4.5 2pts - Tolisso France 2.9m
F Smolov Russia 3.7 2pts - Griezmann France 6.6m

A cheap French def and mid that i'll keep for 2 games and cross my fingers that they get a 2nd game. This gives me a bigger budget so i can be more flexible with my more expensive players

Griezmann in as he could quite easily score big today.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “International Telegraph Fantasy Football Games”