To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

TFF World Cup 2018

A Fantasy Football forum for news on World Cup (TFFWC), European Championships (TFFEC) and Champions League, Europe (TFFE) Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph.
itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

Re: TFF World Cup 2018

Post by itslikebrandnew »

I've not done blocks and have a team just outside the top 100. Bearing in mind about 10 of my transfers were poor choices, with a bit of luck i could have been right up challenging. I still believe it's possible to challenge without going block defences.

chaser2k4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 1 Motw in 2006 tffe, top 500 finish in euro 2008 tff! trying to break into that top 1000 in tff. much better at shorter games.

Post by chaser2k4 »

36 with 5 to play so far and cavani has now scored. :)
Over 300 now.

tommygun25
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tommygun25 »

I'm on 307 and just floating outside the top 1000 didn't go for any blocks except for the first game.

ChrisD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ChrisD »

Hopefully stolen a march with a Croatia block then (just you wait) shame Spain went out (in a TFF sense) as it makes it more likely people will jump on Croatia (and Brazil/Belgium tomorrow) which negates my strategy to some extent (rather than being tempted to keep them)..

ChrisD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ChrisD »

Well that clean sheet didn't last long :roll:

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

Clean sheets don't seem likely in the knockout rounds. I'm happy to stick with the Uruguay block until they get knocked out

Might be holding for a while yet ☺

ChrisD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ChrisD »

I'd agree, they seem much harder to come by for some reason. I was looking at the last major tournament euro 2016 for inspiration, there were 5 clean sheets in the 8 games at this stage. Maybe the art of defending is being lost. In that case I'd happily stick with your Uruguay as one of the few teams able to still do it!

Matt70
Treebeard

Post by Matt70 »

Those with the Belgium block have the consolation of Vertonghen Goal and Meunier Assist

uncle onion
FISOhead
FS Record: nothing of note

Post by uncle onion »

went belgium rather than brazil. not seeing a way back from this. and only 11 subs left. also got a stack of croatia. so other than a belgium v croatia final i think my goose is cooked.

mindcrush
Kevin and Perry

Post by mindcrush »

Apologies ahead of time for the long post. Need a little advice. My current team is:

GK - De Gea (SPA)
DF - Strinic (CRO)
DF - Lovren (CRO)
DF - Perreira (POR)
MF - Modric (CRO)
MF - Perisic (CRO)
MF - Coutinho (BRA)
MF - Hazard (BEL)
FW - Lukaku (BEL)
FW - Mertens (BEL)
FW - Rebic (CRO)

Now, I still have 10 transfers (which is less than I had wanted to at this stage) but I know my main rival only has 6 but is 29 points ahead of me.

At this stage I have 1 guaranteed semi-finalist, so I can field a full team for the semis and final. I am just concerned with how far behind I have already fallen and am trying to see ways to utilize my extra transfers to gain some ground. I have four scenarios in mind but I really cannot decide which of them I should enact:

1) Put in Kane for Mertens - This is probably the most high risk as it is taking a guaranteed quarter-finalist out of my line up for the hope of England getting through and Kane getting two games.

2) Swap out Perreira for a player in the SWI/SWE game - This is a little safer in that it is taking out a dead player but still runs the risk of the player being one and done. Main contenders are Granqvist or Rodriguez as they both take penalties for their respective teams. The fact that the Swiss miss two of their regular back four and couldn't keep a clean sheet in the group stage even with them leads me to side with Granqvist.

3) Put in Mpabbe for the Uruguay game - Especially if Cavani is out, I would expect France to beat Uruguay but it is far from guaranteed and I would be moving out Mertens before he plays again to do this with no guarantee of getting multiple games out of Mpabbe.

4) Grit my teeth and ride it out until the end of the quarters - This gives me the most information but I fear falling too far behind to ever catch the 1st place team. Once I know the results of BRA/BEL and especially CRO/RUS it could allow me to sneak a few players in from the last quarter-final or (if Croatia continue on) put in a full semi-final team and still have transfers to swap out players after the third place playoff.

If it effects anyone's thinking, I know my opponent has Courtois, Meunier, DeBruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens, probably Fagner and potentially Neymar or Suarez.

Any advice would be very welcome.

jjmatadormc
FISOhead
FS Record: Euro 2016 TFF Predictor Winner

Post by jjmatadormc »

I had one last stab at this by putting all my teams to an England defensive block, how I laughed when that goal went in.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

mindcrush wrote: Apologies ahead of time for the long post. Need a little advice. My current team is:

GK - De Gea (SPA)
DF - Strinic (CRO)
DF - Lovren (CRO)
DF - Perreira (POR)
MF - Modric (CRO)
MF - Perisic (CRO)
MF - Coutinho (BRA)
MF - Hazard (BEL)
FW - Lukaku (BEL)
FW - Mertens (BEL)
FW - Rebic (CRO)

Now, I still have 10 transfers (which is less than I had wanted to at this stage) but I know my main rival only has 6 but is 29 points ahead of me.

If it effects anyone's thinking, I know my opponent has Courtois, Meunier, DeBruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens, probably Fagner and potentially Neymar or Suarez.

Just play solid. Don't take any risks quite yet. He may hang himself and information is everything imo. If you were 40-50 behind I'd say you need to take more chances. If the Croatia - Russia game goes your way, it's looking very good. If he has Suarez though, I'd be tempted by Lloris for De Gea. There's some gains to be made with clever transfers just before the semis. Note the order of teams from the 3rd place playoff to final as well and make sure you have 2-3 swaps available for that or take a big risk if needed at that point. (either of those 2 games)
Also if Brazil beat Belgium (not 0-0 and pens), Courtois and Meunier clean sheets are ruined along with all those extra Belgians he has. That could be devastating for him so I'd be cheering Brazil. It's the first time I've played this game but I feel you're in a strong position. Although don't know what you did already!

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

jjmatadormc wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 22:33 I had one last stab at this by putting all my teams to an England defensive block, how I laughed when that goal went in.

I did a semi block too and predicted the late goal! Might have cost me the ML. (along with the ridiculous ref)

I'm in real trouble with 9 transfers to the leader's 11. He's keeping his transfers I'm fairly sure with a 32 points lead.

My team: Muslera, Trip, Maguire, Hernandez, Haz, Cout, Paulinho, Lingard, Neymar, Jesus, Kane
His team: Subisic, Trip, TSilva, Hernandez, Meunier, Haz, Cout, Lingard, Griezmann, Suarez, Kane

As I write, I feel more doomed! I feel I have to hope he makes some transfers in the quarters and they all flop (although he would be 40 odd ahead at that point), and I get a more favourable run of results than him (e.g. France/Uruguay is 0-0 and Uruguay win on pens and Brazil go a bit goal crazy) and then try and do something extreme near the end but any advice is welcome. I think that if I go for it during the quarters, he can react to that defensively after the quarters and then nail me with the extra transfers at the end.

CptPugwash
Grumpy Old Man

Post by CptPugwash »

Sutter Kane wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 12:33
jjmatadormc wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 22:33 I had one last stab at this by putting all my teams to an England defensive block, how I laughed when that goal went in.

I did a semi block too and predicted the late goal! Might have cost me the ML. (along with the ridiculous ref)

I'm in real trouble with 9 transfers to the leader's 11. He's keeping his transfers I'm fairly sure with a 32 points lead.

My team: Muslera, Trip, Maguire, Hernandez, Haz, Cout, Paulinho, Lingard, Neymar, Jesus, Kane
His team: Subisic, Trip, TSilva, Hernandez, Meunier, Haz, Cout, Lingard, Griezmann, Suarez, Kane

As I write, I feel more doomed! I feel I have to hope he makes some transfers in the quarters and they all flop (although he would be 40 odd ahead at that point), and I get a more favourable run of results than him (e.g. France/Uruguay is 0-0 and Uruguay win on pens and Brazil go a bit goal crazy) and then try and do something extreme near the end but any advice is welcome. I think that if I go for it during the quarters, he can react to that defensively after the quarters and then nail me with the extra transfers at the end.
I would very rarely suggest using transfers before a team plays at this stage, but you look dead & buried without a Uruguay clean sheet.
He is 100% certain to cover Neymar with Griezmann/Suarez :arrow: Neymarr.
He is 90% certain to cover Maguire with Silva/Meunier :arrow: Maguire.
Given that, I think you should put your last egg in 1 basket and go Hernadez :arrow: Uruguay defender. (Preferably at the last minute, as it's a waste of time if your rival responds with a Uruguay defender). Possibly Haz :arrow: Uruguay defender too - as he has 2 Belgium coverage to your 1.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

He will 100% cover Neymar yes. I would need Jesus and Paulinho to do well which is why I brought them in for Mexico (I knew he wouldn't copy).

There is a 'curveball' here I should have mentioned though. There are 2 other managers around me on points and he may have to defend against them too. I hope they start making lots of moves soon (one of them has 17 transfers left but is 10pts behind me and isn't very good and the other has 8 but is about level with me) and force him to spend some swaps and defend against them and I can maybe swoop in near the end, perhaps just b4 the semis (if not right before the 3rd place playoff, if that's Uruguay vs someone, I could clean up on a Uruguay back 6 but if I start to build my Uruguay defence now, he'll cover it if they get past France. So I need to shock him at some point with a gamble on or after the semis - it would be too damaging to shock him now as I don't fancy Uruguay against France for a CS and it would be too damaging to remove any of my others right now imo). My hope is he starts to worry about the other two so I kind of just want to save my transfers I think. Perhaps this curveball has changed your opinion but thanks for your advice anyway Captain...

Overall I think the leader has played this particular world cup game well by picking/covering only a small number of key players from each team and not going for block defences which has worked this tournament because none of the usually solid favourited teams have looked solid (bar maybe Brazil :? ). I've relied too much on bookies odds and ordering my transfers to not make the dreaded 'backward' ones, when I should have perhaps hedged my bets a little like him.

CptPugwash
Grumpy Old Man

Post by CptPugwash »

It does change things slightly.

However, 39pts is a sh!tload to make up in basically a 3 man game, with him having 2 extra appearances (Mus, Paulinho & Jesus vs Sub, Meunier, Griezmann/Suarez). At some point you are going to need a Uruguay cleanie (probably 2). I presume it's a winner take all league. So either way Uruguay MUST beat France for you to have a hope. At least switching Hernadez (&possibly) Hazard increases the differentials

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

32 points. So not a 'shitload' just a massive gulf!! :lol:

I take your point and will mull over the permutations that could see me win and Uruguay may well be the key. Is the idea about 3rd place playoff (whoever plays England/Croatia/Sweden/Russia) 6 man defensive block a potential winning idea though??

Yeah winner take all. I don't like these winner takes all leagues as I think it produces less strategy at the end but it is what it is.

mindcrush
Kevin and Perry

Post by mindcrush »

Sutter Kane wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 12:20
mindcrush wrote: Apologies ahead of time for the long post. Need a little advice. My current team is:

GK - De Gea (SPA)
DF - Strinic (CRO)
DF - Lovren (CRO)
DF - Perreira (POR)
MF - Modric (CRO)
MF - Perisic (CRO)
MF - Coutinho (BRA)
MF - Hazard (BEL)
FW - Lukaku (BEL)
FW - Mertens (BEL)
FW - Rebic (CRO)

Just play solid. Don't take any risks quite yet. He may hang himself and information is everything imo. If you were 40-50 behind I'd say you need to take more chances. If the Croatia - Russia game goes your way, it's looking very good. If he has Suarez though, I'd be tempted by Lloris for De Gea. There's some gains to be made with clever transfers just before the semis. Note the order of teams from the 3rd place playoff to final as well and make sure you have 2-3 swaps available for that or take a big risk if needed at that point. (either of those 2 games)
Also if Brazil beat Belgium (not 0-0 and pens), Courtois and Meunier clean sheets are ruined along with all those extra Belgians he has. That could be devastating for him so I'd be cheering Brazil. It's the first time I've played this game but I feel you're in a strong position. Although don't know what you did already!
Appreciate the thoughts. I did very little in the end and just bided my time. I put Kane in leaving me at nine transfers but as it turns out my rival made three moves, for Kane, Sterling and Lingard. The fact that he is down to 3 transfers gives me some hope so I am again going to play it safe and see how the dust settles after the quarter-finals.

The only potential move I see is to put in Neymar or Willian to help with the differential if Belgium go out. William for Perisic appeals to me after seeing how much space Inui was afforded.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

With only three transfers left for him, you are in a great position now; information is more key than ever for you (and him tbh though it's a bit late now). I wish my rival had 3 transfers rather than 11!

mindcrush
Kevin and Perry

Post by mindcrush »

Sutter Kane wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 18:25 With only three transfers left for him, you are in a great position now; information is more key than ever for you (and him tbh though it's a bit late now). I wish my rival had 3 transfers rather than 11!
I do feel like him using those transfers has potentially really strengthened my position. It's just whether I can make the right picks and capitalise. I now know his full lineup too which helps:

GK - Courtois
DF - Boyata
DF - Meunier
DF - Trippier
MF - Hazard
MF - DeBruyne
MF - Pogba
MF - Sterling
MF - Lingard
FW - Lukaku
FW - Kane

So obviously we have some that will cancel out each other in Lukaku, Kane and Hazard but a big Belgian performance could really hurt me. I guess I'd need Croatia to match them.

Any changes anyone would make at this point is should I just stand pat completely until the semis are decided?

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Even if you think Belgium will win, you have to think Brazil will score surely. Therefore, I'd not worry about that. If Belgium do keep a clean sheet, then yes he is huge favourite. But you can't cover that in your position. If Belgium concede, you're favourite, if Belgium go out, you're probably home and dry.

mindcrush
Kevin and Perry

Post by mindcrush »

Sutter Kane wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 19:28 Even if you think Belgium will win, you have to think Brazil will score surely. Therefore, I'd not worry about that. If Belgium do keep a clean sheet, then yes he is huge favourite. But you can't cover that in your position. If Belgium concede, you're favourite, if Belgium go out, you're probably home and dry.
Yeah I do think Brazil will get at least one goal, probably more. So much depends on that one game. Is it worth sneaking in Willian?

JamieGNo1
Kevin and Perry

Post by JamieGNo1 »

Wonder if anyone wants to opine about my situation;

Part 1: My Scenario

I’m currently leading my mini league but only by a few points
I’m just outside top 100 - I was in there but lost ground
Chasing glory has left me with just 6 transfers
But I actually think my team is in decent shape...

2 Uruguay def (1gk), 3 English def
Countino, Hazard, Lingard, Suarez, Mbappe. Kane

I’m planning Neymar for Suarez or Mbappe
If Uruguay go out I’ll move their defenders to... Full England block? Croatia? Make one of them a midfielder...? If they don’t go out I might still be tempted to rotate them??
Seems obvious to move loser of Hazard/Coutinho to Modric
If Brazil lose I’ll have Neymar to move on...

The above is Upto 5 transfers, esp if Uruguay and Brazil go out
It’s likely I’ll use 3 through choice even if they both go through

Obviously if England go out I’m a bit shafted for transfers but it seems self defeating to plan for that?

Can anyone spot any flaws in my plans??

I’m trying to work out where the big opportunities are to gain from transfers but there doesn’t seem to be much to shoot at...
Last edited by JamieGNo1 on 04 Jul 2018, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.

JamieGNo1
Kevin and Perry

Post by JamieGNo1 »

Part 2: The Way I See It

France v Uruguay
France will struggle against Uruguay. I’m sad and worried that Cavani is probably out for Uruguay sake but I think they will play a very robust contain + break game anyway. France haven’t done so well when they’ve been up against that kind of team. Could be low scoring 2-1 or 1-0 but not sure which way.
I feel I have coverage of the better defence along the best two attacking threats in Suarez in Mbappe.

The main reason I have a niggle to move on the Uruguay defenders after is I don’t think they’ll get a CS in the SF and so happy to explore other options...

Brazil v Belgium
I see goals from both teams, could even be a few and it could go either way! Brazil seem the more defensively robust of the two and that might see them through, and possibly even with a CS. Think Lukaku will struggle - as he tends to in big matches against quality opposition! Sort of wish I had DeBruyne tho, who seems to the better in big games. Obvious problem for all of us though - can’t go too heavy on both sides unless you have transfers to burn. Happy id have the best likelyhood of the attacking points covered with Neymar, Coutinho and Hazard. Tempted by Meunier... Also tempted to go Allison and Marcelo or Danilo could give a slight differential to Brazilian blocks from last round (or at least they would have to burn an inefficient transfer to match). Obv if I go with 2 at the back and Neymar along with Coutinho I’m taking a risk and need Brazil to go through, a scenario rendering Hazard to the role of a flimsy hedge bet.

Sweden v England
Will be low goals - I simply need it to be a routine 2-0 England win. But that does seem likely. I liked the English defenders because they have decent attacking potential too (Maguire, Trippier, Young). They will also still have a decent game the following round (on paper). Not sure i have quite the faith to go full England block. I’m out of contention overall so I feel a full block with low transfers is unnecessarily risky. But I could absolutely see it paying off with English clean sheets.

Russia v Croatia
It seems natural to want to cover Modric. I am however also tempted by Croat defence. By then I’ll know if it’s sweden or England in the Semo and if it’s Sweden I’ll prob transfer out my losing English players for some coverage. Big spanner in the works is - I have a sneaky feeling it’ll be Russia going through and they have some tempting attacking options to back. Feels like I’ll have scope to bring in 2 or 3 players from this game - just no idea who and from what side!

Don’t see much value in using transfers for SF and 3P and Final
They will be cagey game and I’ll likely have reasonable coverage from all 4 teams. Pretty much guaranteed to have the best attackers from SF1, if only 2-3. Will likely have defence and and attackers from SF2 - the one more likely to have a clean sheet??

The only issue is Brazil. They certainly could win this tourney without conceding another goal. And that makes me want to cover their defence a little, a major gamble in the short term.

How would you play it...???

mindcrush
Kevin and Perry

Post by mindcrush »

Sutter Kane wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 19:28 Even if you think Belgium will win, you have to think Brazil will score surely. Therefore, I'd not worry about that. If Belgium do keep a clean sheet, then yes he is huge favourite. But you can't cover that in your position. If Belgium concede, you're favourite, if Belgium go out, you're probably home and dry.
Looking through the scenarios, you're quite right in that if Belgium go through the tournament is likely his, especially with a clean sheet. If Belgium go out then I still have a lot of points to catch up in not a lot of games. The team I put together in the even of Belgium going through would still have to go pretty much all in on France or Uruguay just so that my points are not being cancelled out.

With that in mind, I am wondering if it is worth making a move now. I would need to move out Lukaku for Suarez/Griezmann/Mpabbe even if Belgium beat Brazil so I am wondering if it is worth doing it now. Putting in Neymar would seem to make the most sense, as it is a huge swing towards me should Brazil make the semis. Any thoughts?

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Well I haven't done all the calcs but if Belgium go out, he won't have many players left to play so he'd have to swap out 3 Belgians (and then he'd be taking a huge risk if he spent them during the QFs as the remaining games could go either way). If you're intent on taking some risk then I agree, why not do De Gea to Alisson and Lukaku to Neymar as you specified? Throw a lot of eggs into that game against his players (so making the points swing huge as you said).

Overall you currently have enough transfers to react to certain teams exiting, whereas he doesn't. If Croatia exit now, you're also probably screwed but if you had 7 transfers remaining going into the semis then you could remove the 2 Belgians you have remaining along with the Croats and then take some last gasp risks. There's big swings just in who stays in and who gets knocked out, the England game could be an important one but information is again, key. It could be nearly yours by the end of QF games if some fairly likely things go your way.

mindcrush
Kevin and Perry

Post by mindcrush »

Sutter Kane wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 13:43 Well I haven't done all the calcs but if Belgium go out, he won't have many players left to play so he'd have to swap out 3 Belgians (and then he'd be taking a huge risk if he spent them during the QFs as the remaining games could go either way). If you're intent on taking some risk then I agree, why not do De Gea to Alisson and Lukaku to Neymar as you specified? Throw a lot of eggs into that game against his players (so making the points swing huge as you said).

Overall you currently have enough transfers to react to certain teams exiting, whereas he doesn't. If Croatia exit now, you're also probably screwed but if you had 7 transfers remaining going into the semis then you could remove the 2 Belgians you have remaining along with the Croats and then take some last gasp risks. There's big swings just in who stays in and who gets knocked out, the England game could be an important one but information is again, key. It could be nearly yours by the end of QF games if some fairly likely things go your way.
I'm not necessarily intent on gambling, I just wonder if it advantageous to do so. As I said, Lukaku is going to come out of my team either way because we would both have Kane and Lukaku and that means I'll never gain any ground.

I think I will put Neymar but I'll see how I feel about it come kickoff tomorrow.

EDIT

Looking at his team, I figure his best moves in the event that Belgium go out would be to bring in Pickford, Greizmann and Neymar for Courtois, Hazard and Lukaku. I still think at that point he has a good chance to win because he'll have around a 30 point start on me and can cover the main striking options, making it very hard to gain enough ground in only four games.

Realistically, I think I need to play like Belgium are going out and try to maximise on it with Neymar. Even if he can cut 5-10 points off that lead and still give me two more games then that puts me in much better stead than doing what I am already doing.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Yes agreed. I do think if Belgium exit, he's had it though. You will have a lot of points to come in the semis and final two games where he'll have a maximum of 8 to play, probably less. He should, if he's any good, look to cover you which means holding transfers back that he simply can't cover later is the approach I'm taking with my league (albeit you are in a far superior position). He's bound to cover Neymar if Belgium go out yes. He'll surely select Pickford before England's QF if Courtois is out so he can get maximum possible games though he'd surely be more likely to go for Croatians with your Croat lot. There's a lot to play for but you'll know what you have to do after the QFs have played out I reckon. The longer you wait, yes there's less games for you to catch him but also less chance for him to cover your players and the more information you'll have with options.

mindcrush
Kevin and Perry

Post by mindcrush »

Sutter Kane wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 19:01 Yes agreed. I do think if Belgium exit, he's had it though. You will have a lot of points to come in the semis and final two games where he'll have a maximum of 8 to play, probably less. He should, if he's any good, look to cover you which means holding transfers back that he simply can't cover later is the approach I'm taking with my league (albeit you are in a far superior position). He's bound to cover Neymar if Belgium go out yes. He'll surely select Pickford before England's QF if Courtois is out so he can get maximum possible games though he'd surely be more likely to go for Croatians with your Croat lot. There's a lot to play for but you'll know what you have to do after the QFs have played out I reckon. The longer you wait, yes there's less games for you to catch him but also less chance for him to cover your players and the more information you'll have with options.
Very true which is why, despite my temptation, I won't fiddle too much. Neymar only and then hold back 8 transfers for the semis and finals. Thanks for your help. I know I have a tendency to over analyse and want to tinker (hence Perreira ending up in my team) and sometimes I just need to be reminded that the best action can be to do nothing.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Well I can't remember if Cpt P or anyone with more experience than me has given advice because you should analyse that as well! This is my first time playing TFF of any kind so can't say how many transfers you should leave for the semis/final. Neymar sounds good for now though, then analyse again tomorrow night.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “International Telegraph Fantasy Football Games”