To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Official Sligorover Wildcard Proposal

A forum for historic posts on the Poll Team (La Republica del FISO) created by some of the users of the PremierLeague.com Forum.

Wildcard during GW33 for GW34

Poll ended at 11 Apr 2007, 15:29

Play
91%
Stay
9%

Total votes: 11

sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

The Official Sligorover Wildcard Proposal

Post by sligorover »

Hello and Happy Easter lassies and chaps

This proposal is to play the republica wildcard at the end of GW33 for the start of double GW 34.

The vote to play or stay will be open for 5 days (until next wed afternoon GMT). The vote is to play the wildcard on GW33 for GW34 (TheDoubler).

It is not a vote for the team set out below. This will be tweeked, tossed & turned based on your feedback and critique.
If we decide to "play" a further 2 day poll will be set to decide on alternative wildcard team selections/lineups etc. (Wed until Fri)

Here it goes - starting 11 and subs
Kenny SU
Ball MC
Agger LIV
Taylor MID
Ronaldo MU
Fabregas ARS
Gilberto ARS
Gerrard LIV
Ireland MC
Adebayor ARS
Tevez WHM

Subs
Filan WIG
Johnson MC
Drogba CHE
DeMerit WAT

EDIT: I can confirm that the remaining funds are 0.5 million with the above lineup.

Notes:
1. 3-5-2 formation. Starting 11 are all double gameweekers except ronaldo who is at home to sheff utd. Johnson MC is first sub and also a double gameweeker.
2. Team is setup solely to take advantage of GW34. However i feel we have an alright team to carry us to the finish line.

All feedback welcome

VIVA LA REPUBLICA
Last edited by sligorover on 06 Apr 2007, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

Stick
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Completely private

Post by Stick »

I would agree with the wildcaaaaard proposal, I believe the time is right.

Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Post by Flyman »

Me, too!

PM sent.

Great to see Tevez in there. I think he'll fight for WH to the bitter end! Bit worried by our GKs though, if Kirkland comes back then we only have Kenny.
Hopefully we'll know a bit more in a couple of days.
Also ..... Taylor (MI)? :shock:
I'll be arguing against that one when the time comes, too! :lol:

Good luck with your proposal!

reds363
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 28th 06/07; TFFO 3rd 09/10; TFF 3rd 12/13

Post by reds363 »

I'm definitely in support of playing it next week.

I've checked out that proposed squad and it leaves us 0.5m spare (at current prices).

The things that jump out at me are the two MC defenders, Taylor and Filan (with Kirkland possibly returning). But I agree with getting Gerrard who has 2 easy GWs, then possibly swapping to Lamps for GW36 after which he has the better fixtures. However I don't see the need for 2 ARS midfielders though, I think we could sacrifice Fabregas (burnt-out) for a cheaper option, and upgrade in defence.

But all in all, a great base squad to work from sligorover!!

sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sligorover »

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I have had another look based on your feedback and have come up with draft 2. (lets call original draft 1 and this one draft 2 in case we need to vote next week).

Summary of change:
Based on Reds and Flymans feedback I have downgraded Fabergas for a potential gem Liverpools clever aqusition Mascherano. (could be making the same xfer in my own team soon). This allows upgrade of Taylor (Mid) for Clichy (Ars). Then money left to upgrade Filan to Hahnemanann.
This leaves us with 1.2 million cash remaining

We can easily upgrade Ball, johnson, Ireland or non doublers like demerit or anyone really ?

Draft 2 Starting 11 and Subs
Kenny SU
Ball MC
Agger LIV
Clichy ARS
Ronaldo MU
Mascherano LIV
Gerrard LIV
Gilberto ARS
Ireland MC
Adebayor ARS
Tevez WHM

Subs
Hahnemamann READ
Johnson MC
Drogba CHE
DeMerit WAT

Keep the feedback and fine tuning coming 8-)

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

Interesting stuff, sligorover! :D

I really dont think that we need two playing goalies in the end of season run-up. To lose one at this stage would be dashed bad luck! I suggest we save money and just buy one good one, one dirt cheap non-player.
Kenny has had 1 c.s. this year. I can't see that improving, 2xgw or not.

Hahnemann v FU in GW 34 could very well score more than Kenny v WH & MU put together.
I suggest we buy Crossley (FU) at 3.4 instead of Kenny = 0.5m saved and go with just one active goalie.

This would leave a Bank of 1.7m,

What are our thoughts on Mascherano? My concern is not over his ability, but his rota-ing.

Just a thought .... but if, instead of Ireland, we took WH PAD, Noble (4.3!), who faces SU & CH in GW 34 (i.e. 4+ points relatively assured) and is on fire right now, our bank would be 2.0 m - sufficient to 'upgrade' Mascherino -> Arteta for GW 35 if we see fit - and leave 0.1 in the bank!

I wonder whether Onouha (MC) 3.7 is a better bet than Johnson as our misclassed MC defender. Any thoughts, fellow members? There was talk of Hamann's impending return displacing Johnson on the FPL forum.

flyingkillercob
Dumbledore
FS Record: murf’s African Nations Cup 2012 Winner. FISO Goals 15/16 & 17/18 Winner.

Post by flyingkillercob »

My £0.02 -

I agree with the non-playing goalie plan - go for Hahnemann!

I can't see any point in getting Mascherano in at all - in 9 games he has zero goals, zero assists and zero boni! Two yellow cards means he is barely averaging 2 points per game!

Also, Tevez is a bit pricey compared to Zamora - 2.5 mil difference :shock:

So I would propose Mascherano :arrow: Arteta right away (soaking up all that 2.0 mil that Flyman mentioned as he's going to rise tonight), Tevez :arrow: Zamora (saving 2.5), and Ball :arrow: Hyypia. This would leave 0.1 in the bank I think.

So, my team would be

Hahnemann

Agger
Hyypia
Clichy

Ronaldo
Arteta
Gerrard
Gilberto
Noble

Adebayor
Zamora

Subs:
Crossley
Johnson/Onouha
Drogba
DeMerit

Needs a price confirmation and also some info on whether Hyypia will be a regular or not.

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

Hyypia can not be relied upon, I'm afraid.

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

It is my opinion that the current 10 - 1 vote in favour of using the Wildcard this week will not be overturned betwen today and tomorrow.

I therefore think it expedient that, for the time being, members continue to contribute to this thread on the basis that we will be playing the card this week.

This will give us all a little extra time to buy the best squad for the job!

uppompei
Red & Blue Braces

Post by uppompei »

Looks good to me.

1 thing -

Why pay to put Drogba on the bench? We could upgrade and use a nice double week player and transfer drogba in as next weeks substitution.

MD

sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sligorover »

Flyman wrote:Interesting stuff, sligorover! :D

I really dont think that we need two playing goalies in the end of season run-up. To lose one at this stage would be dashed bad luck! I suggest we save money and just buy one good one, one dirt cheap non-player.
Kenny has had 1 c.s. this year. I can't see that improving, 2xgw or not.

Hahnemann v FU in GW 34 could very well score more than Kenny v WH & MU put together.
I suggest we buy Crossley (FU) at 3.4 instead of Kenny = 0.5m saved and go with just one active goalie.

This would leave a Bank of 1.7m,

What are our thoughts on Mascherano? My concern is not over his ability, but his rota-ing.

Just a thought .... but if, instead of Ireland, we took WH PAD, Noble (4.3!), who faces SU & CH in GW 34 (i.e. 4+ points relatively assured) and is on fire right now, our bank would be 2.0 m - sufficient to 'upgrade' Mascherino -> Arteta for GW 35 if we see fit - and leave 0.1 in the bank!

I wonder whether Onouha (MC) 3.7 is a better bet than Johnson as our misclassed MC defender. Any thoughts, fellow members? There was talk of Hamann's impending return displacing Johnson on the FPL forum.
Draft 3 based on Flymans suggestions above leaves 1.9 in the bank but at present will be .1 million short to swap Mascarano for Arteta in GW35.
(due to price changes in last few days)

Draft 3
Hahnemann
Ball
Clichy
Agger
Gerrard
Gilberto
Ronaldo
Noble
Mascherano
Adebayor
Tevez

Subs
Crossley
Johnson
Drogba
DeMerit

sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sligorover »

flyingkillercob wrote:My £0.02 -

I agree with the non-playing goalie plan - go for Hahnemann!

I can't see any point in getting Mascherano in at all - in 9 games he has zero goals, zero assists and zero boni! Two yellow cards means he is barely averaging 2 points per game!

Also, Tevez is a bit pricey compared to Zamora - 2.5 mil difference :shock:

So I would propose Mascherano :arrow: Arteta right away (soaking up all that 2.0 mil that Flyman mentioned as he's going to rise tonight), Tevez :arrow: Zamora (saving 2.5), and Ball :arrow: Hyypia. This would leave 0.1 in the bank I think.

Needs a price confirmation and also some info on whether Hyypia will be a regular or not.
Draft 4 - Flyingkillercob's variation leaves .3 million in the bank (at present)

Hahnemann

Agger
Hyypia
Clichy

Ronaldo
Arteta
Gerrard
Gilberto
Noble

Adebayor
Zamora

Subs:
Crossley
Johnson/Onouha
Drogba
DeMerit

Hyypia played in the last game for 90 but needs confirming for republica
My only question is will Zamora be rotated ?
flyingkillercob wrote: I can't see any point in getting Mascherano in at all - in 9 games he has zero goals, zero assists and zero boni! Two yellow cards means he is barely averaging 2 points per game!
You are correct but hes a double weeker from a big4 club thats cheap as chips. I think hes settling in nicely at anfield and was worth a flutter for the double GW. Noble looks to be getting the nod since.

sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sligorover »

uppompei wrote:Looks good to me.

1 thing -

Why pay to put Drogba on the bench? We could upgrade and use a nice double week player and transfer drogba in as next weeks substitution.

MD
I wanted to keep Drogba and Ronaldo for the long run as they would be very expensive to buy back if we sold for a double game weeker now.
(Drogba sell 11.7 Buy 12 at present)
A kind of balancing act. Also we are playing 9 to 10 double weekers in GW34 based on drafts above as it stands.

Having said that if you had anybody in mind to replace drogba let us know. But i would be reluctant to let him go at the moment as we need to hit the ground running in GW 35.

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

Excellent work, sligo!
Just to clarify ....

You must propose the team that you are happy with. If you like others' suggestions then by all means incorperate them into your proposal (in the hope you'll get their vote).

All other members are equally entitled to profer their own proposals, if they differ from sligorover's.

When the final poll is constructed it will include both sligo's final draft and any other members' final proposals.
If no one else makes a proposal, sligo's final draft will go through uncontested.

I.e. sligo is under no pressure to accomodate other's views if he does not want to!

Hope that is clear! :D

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

Why DeMerit, sligo?
At 3.9 can't we do better than a WA defender?

sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sligorover »

Based on the feedback and 4 drafts above i think we have a consistent spine of sacred cows with the other positions up for debate.

Summary of GW34 team (hope i haven't missed anyone)

Spine players in bold and are 100% in the squad.

Hahnemann
Kenny or Crossley or Filan

Agger
Clichy
Johnson
Onocha

Ball or Hyppia or Taylor (mid) or DeMerit

Gilberto
Gerrard
Ronaldo

Mascerano or Ireland or Noble or Arteta

Adebayor
Drogba

Tevez or Zamora

As Flyman says we need proposals that add up money wise for the new poll. The poll to play or stay ends today but it looks like play at this stage.

All feedback welcome.
Lets get the new poll on the road !
Last edited by sligorover on 11 Apr 2007, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sligorover »

Flyman wrote:Why DeMerit, sligo?
At 3.9 can't we do better than a WA defender?
We can of course. I just stuck him in and forgot about him. He used to be the cheapest CRD until man city open up a pound shop of players.

Also i'm a Watford fan :lol: (did you see them against pompey just like watching Brazil) (and Pompey bet man utd who bet roma so if watford play roma it should be 11:2 :P )

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

I've just remembered ..... You're a Watford fan, aren't you? :wink:

Just a thought ....
But instead of DeMerit we could have Onouha, but always play one of Ball Johnson oor Onouha on the bench. Then, should all play, fine. But if one is rested the other may step up for us. Just a thought! :D

sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sligorover »

Flyman wrote:I've just remembered ..... You're a Watford fan, aren't you? :wink:

Just a thought ....
But instead of DeMerit we could have Onouha, but always play one of Ball Johnson oor Onouha on the bench. Then, should all play, fine. But if one is rested the other may step up for us. Just a thought! :D
Your right. At Onouhas price we can't go wrong. I have just edited post above to make Onouha a sacred cow.

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

I thought members might like to see a screenshot of sligo's latest proposal, for the sake of clarity?

Some may feel that the 3 MC defenders unbalances us. I'd like to hear other suggestions there.

Also, with this squad we will probably end up with a (MC?) 2xgwer on the bench, which is a curious luxury! :lol:

But the 2.1 kitty means that the Mascherano -> Arteta transfer for GW35 is back on.

May I suggest members bear this in mind when suggesting changes to any of the MC lads - or anyone at all!? :wink:

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

Viva La Pub! :D

Firstly, full steam ahead with the wildcard - the time is now! :P

Liverpool have a great chance of a double CS. Any rotation will be between Agger and Hypia and I don't see any advantage in having both. I would still consider Arbeloa - big risk of a no show but has impressed on every outing so far.

I am also a little wary of three MC defenders. Ok very wary. I can't see much of a return against Liverpool/Arsenal - could easily be as little as 2pts each for a double :roll:

I'm also going to question our intention of boomeranging Arteta back in for the season run in. I can see him getting points in GW34/35 but then Everton face Man U, Pompey, Chelsea. Keep him for a fortnight before bringing in someone for GW37 ie Giggs.

I agree in keeping hold of both Ronaldo and Drogba but will also raise the case for McCarthy over Tevez/Zamora. West Ham are like a wounded dog and there's no knowing what they'll do in a fight. This good run could just as easily come to an end. Half of their double is against Chelsea and is a likely shut out. They also have Man U and Everton to come. Blackburn, however, have Watford and Charlton on the way plus double GW37. I'd recommend keeping hold of Benni as he'll be consistant to the end.

To make best use of our WC we also need to plan for the upcoming gameweeks. It would be a good idea to discuss ideas for GW37 at the same time. Spurs have perhaps the most attractive double so a return Bayo :arrow: Berb looks on the cards. Apart from Brown (MU) 5.4, we should be concentrating on midfield/attack as I'm not sure CS's are on the cards for the top two.

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

Fair enough, Krispdafunk.

I think you are suggesting sufficient changes there to warrant a counter-proposal, should you wish to make one, which would then enter a poll against sligorover's final Proposal.

If you want to pm me for the username/password to aid you in balancing the budget, feel free to. :)

grob
Dumbledore

GW34 wildcard proposals

Post by grob »

Keep up the good work chaps ! Just one observation re our goalies :

Although Wigan had hoped that KIRKLAND would have been able to resume in goal last Monday,this morning's papers suggest that his season may be over,as his thumb injury which has kept him out for 2 months,and would have meant him playing with special protection,apparently needs further treatment.
With FILAN therefore likely to remain Wigan's 1st choice keeper, at 3.7, I would have thought it false economy to settle for non playing CROSSLEY at 3.4,who is only 3rd choice GK for FULHAM,after Niemi and Lastuvka.

Apart from the possibility of injury to our regular keeper, is it not useful to have some flexibility for just 0.3 cost ? -make that 0.4, as FILAN's price will probably rise this week - still worth it,I feel.

reds363
Dumbledore

Post by reds363 »

Flyman wrote:Some may feel that the 3 MC defenders unbalances us. I'd like to hear other suggestions there.
Sorry but I just have to comment about this change - are you guys out of your minds? :lol:
I was horrified at the prospect of having two MC defenders, but three??? :shock: (PS. Oh yeah - and Onuoha has only been playing in Richards' absence I believe?)

Other things I'd like to say - I agree with the Hahnemann/Crossley combo - if Hahne gets injured we could swap him out (at worst for -4 points IF necessary) - or we could buy his understudy Federici (instead of Crossley) at just 3.5.

Hyypia - NO NO NO NO! He's by far the lowest-rated of Rafa's three CBs, don't go there!
McCarthy - good shout. BLA have WAT this week which is almost a banker, and a double later.
Mascherano - don't think he's worth it, even if he plays both games it's a likely return of just 4-6 points which could be matched by a better long-term prospect (eg. McCulloch)

I'll get my thinking cap on and get a full squad proposal out shortly - when does the final poll start?

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

Yeah, I think you are right about the three MC boys being a bad idea, reds, hence the post you quote.

The deadline for counterproposals is midnight tonight!

reds363
Dumbledore

Post by reds363 »

Better get thinking then hadn't I? :)

Some more thoughts:

With Rafa as he is, I'm even a little uncertain about Agger, I'd rate him at about 85% likely to start any given game. But I really value the importance of having 95%+ guaranteed starters so that worries me. So instead of the pair Hahnemann/Agger I'm going to suggest Reina/Ingimarsson, which is in fact 0.2 cheaper.

I'm also going to nominate a total cheapie defender at 3.5 max, in the expectation we will never have to play him. I'm right now looking at Lucketti (3.4, SU).

more to come...

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

Must say I like the Reina not Agger choice, but RE are v. leaky and have no 2xgw ....

reds363
Dumbledore

Post by reds363 »

But we were happy with Hahnemann...? If that was just for his save points, Reina will get those too! Ok maybe not quite as many, but he'll make up for that with the 6 he gains in the match Agger is rested for.

Hmmm maybe ditch RE altogether, I'll have a look at other 4.6ish defenders...

EDIT: Bingo! CHA! Bang in-form. Young 4.4/El Karkouri 4.6/Hreidarsson 4.5, take your pick! Ok we may be benching that pick this week but they then have SU(h).
Last edited by reds363 on 11 Apr 2007, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

Flyman
FISO Knight

Post by Flyman »

reds363 wrote:But we were happy with Hahnemann...?

Hmmm maybe ditch RE altogether, I'll have a look at 4.6ish defenders...
I think he was there as the cheapest available 'decent' keeper, but there is more scope within our budget in Defenders.
Also, we may have made a penny or two on him which we would lose if he's sold.

reds363
Dumbledore

Post by reds363 »

Thinking again, RE have home games against FUL, NEW and WAT coming up, I like Ingi's chances of at least 2 CSs from those games.

You're right about losing a little on selling Hahne, but we'd sell him at 4.3 for Reina 6.2 (-1.9m), while getting Ingi 4.6 instead of Agger 6.7 (+2.1m).

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “La Republica del FISO Club History”