To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Single Entrant

A forum for comment and discussion on Telegraph Fantasy Football (TFF) teams (EPL, Champions League and World Cup), including the 'FISO XI' TFF teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
dustyb
Wideboy

Single Entrant

Post by dustyb »

Single entry, and I find myself going round in circles and trying to avoid the group think. Here's my current team:

Alisson

Van Aanholt
Alexander-Arnold
Coady

Salah
Shaqiri
Fernandinho
Jota

Aguero
Aubameyang
Firminho

Starting with GK, I try to stick with a good keeper season-long. They're usually not subject to rotation, and have comparatively fewer injuries than outfield players. I think the best defences this year will be Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, so out of those, Alisson is cheapest.

I then start with my big hitters, and find players to squeeze around them. Partially because I have no hope of winning money in the overall comp with a single entry, so I like to watch games looking out for goals/assists rather than clean sheets.

With that rationale, Aguero, Aubameyang, Firminho and Salah join the party. Jota is in pretty much everyone's team on here as he's out of position playing up front, and cheap, so seems to be the most obvious enabler.

I was toying with Mane and Sane, but both are expensive. Shaqiri has been having a blinder pre-season, and is likely to come off the bench short term, but I'd be pretty confident he'd bag an assist or goal when he does in a rampaging Liverpool team. Compare that with his cost, and his value and ppm looks very good.

Similarly, Fernandinho has been flying under the radar, but he's one of those least at risk of rotation in the Man City midfield, and scored a respectable 120 points with 5 goals and 10 assists last year. Again, looking at points per million, and finding the best value, he looks to be good value for the cost of just 3.8m.

This leaves 9.5m for my defence. Coady is another enabler, but seems to be nailed on starter as captain, and very cheap. Bearing in mind it's value we're looking for, he's first to make the cut.

7.1m left for two defenders. I could either go premium/cheap, or 2 x middle of the road. I feel Liverpool will start the season all guns blazing, so went for Alexander-Arnold. Van Aanholt offers an attacking threat in a Palace team with easier first fixtures, so he gets the nod too.

Top-heavy, I admit, but that's where I think the points will be, with the value in Mid/Defence. Any thoughts welcome...

alimead650
Cheetah
FS Record: 2000

Re: Single Entrant

Post by alimead650 »

Very interesting ideas and I can see well thought out. As a pointer, have you read an article o the TFF website about stats etc... other than salah it basically indicates that there is more points per million in terms of player values in defence and midfield as opposed to striker. As such in my opinion I would throw in another quality defender for shaquri who will not only start but also collect points in clean sheets and possibly even a goal.

dustyb
Wideboy

Post by dustyb »

Thanks for the feedback. It feels to me that the best value is in mid/def, but you need a combo of value and big points scorers. So if you had 11 of the top value players, you'd still have money left. Adding that excess cash to players to turn them into big hitters would lower their value, but increase their points if that makes sense? That's why I've gone for big hitters up front, but trying to find the value in mid/def.

I think you're right to point out that Shaqiri could be a weak link. He's only 3.9m, and he's firing on all cylinders at the mo. In their last friendly he played centre-forward for a time. I just get a feeling that he'll have a purple patch, but I'm often wrong, hence lurking in these forums!

I usually budget 5 transfers in the first month, try to see who's on form and take the hit to then find a settled team for a couple of months.

Midlander
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Up the Villa

Post by Midlander »

All very well thought out. My only advice would be Shaqiri to someone like Mendy who is nailed, clean sheets and plenty of attacking points.

Swizs
Treebeard

Post by Swizs »

It's solid enough, but Shaqiri is too punty for me, there are better options than Fernandinho and TAA is too much of a rotation risk.

js234
Treebeard

Post by js234 »

Shaqiri i believe will have limited game time only offering cover for Mane and Salah IMO. That in itself means Salah could get rested more around big European games for example but I am not starting without him !

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Speaking as a Liverpool fan, I would say avoid Shaqiri. Liverpool's front 3 is established and the midfield is now overcrowded so I can't see him starting more than the odd game without injuries occurring.

Can be value in expensive defenders so that may be worth rethinking. They are less to upgrade from cheapies than midfield or forwards.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “TFF Teams (e.g. Rate My Team - RMT)”