To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How accurate are the stats and who supplies them?

A forum for Fantasy Football games run by Fanball (via the Sky Sports website).
Merlins_Apprentice
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

How accurate are the stats and who supplies them?

Post by Merlins_Apprentice »

On another thread i make the point that on the update tonight Leighton Baines started off with 6 clearances aganst him only for it to end up with being 1 at the end of the update..This made me wonder why it could change in the update and also is it right? Not many other sites provide stats, but i know sky do provide some opta stats on their game by game coverage

If you look at his fanball stats it says he won 1 Free kick, conceded 1 , made 1 clearance and 1 cross. Just taking the free kicks and looking at the sky opta stats we get the following from the event tracking

45'+1' Leighton Baines (Wigan Athletic) wins a free kick.
42' Leighton Baines (Wigan Athletic) wins a free kick.
21' Leighton Baines (Wigan Athletic) wins a free kick.

And on the player stats for him it says 3 times (adds up to event track), fouled, 0 fouls conceded..

Doesnt really stack up with fanballs stats in the free kick department for winning or conceding does it?. I know there will always be some disagreement on stats, but surely whether free kicks have been won or conceded by someone is easy? And this then makes you wonder just how accurate the rest of the stats are...

Totally disinterested with this game now, i'll carry on my freebie team, but suspect today is the last time i spend any money on transfers for the pay game...

CBB
Grumpy Old Mackem
FS Record: SKY Sports 2007 Manager of the Month

Post by CBB »

Actually went to OPTA a few weeks back after thinking the same. The guy was helpful but said that they only provide to companies. Did give me the stats for Bocanegra which didn't add up with the fanball rating. Don't know if there's much we can do though. What update are you referring to regarding Baines and where do you find it?

Merlins_Apprentice
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Merlins_Apprentice »

Well you cant find it anymore, i was just hitting refresh as they were doing the update on the stats page and saw 6 cl appear for him, also sure a few other numbers were different on his line, then hit refresh again about 1 minute later and the points were there as 2, looked across and saw the cl were now 1 for him ? ? ?..Ryan Taylor was also missing at that point, then appeared from no where, so it was obviously mid update, just cant see why it would change....no proof as ever...but cant see him not winning 1 single tackle or more than 1 clearance....and the free kick stuff completely not adding up...the whole thing is just a complete mess...and getting right up my nose at how incompetent they are and yet i'm still buying transfers!!!...my own fault i suppose, but f*ck em...i just cant be assed with the pay version of this game anymore..at least freebie will keep me interested till end of season..

no doubt i'll calm down and pay em more dosh for doing eff all in the coming weeks! :oops:

CBB
Grumpy Old Mackem
FS Record: SKY Sports 2007 Manager of the Month

Post by CBB »

I'll be moving back to the Telegraph next year most probably. This has given me greater returns than any game so far but think it'll change next year. I prefer that I know where I stand and don't have to refrain from doing transfers as I don't trust them to include games. Problem is if you've come this far then you may as well complete the game. Still not convinced they'll pay out right at the end though. Hope fror Minor's sake they do though.

Jeberdy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Jeberdy »

I saw the original stats and they were different, but they weren't accurate either.
It had Ashley Young down with stats as well as a goal for Emile Heskey.

Minor
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Minor »

I think they were the stats from the game that got abandoned and they actually moved it in their database to Round 24!

STM's Viking Warriors
Wideboy

Post by STM's Viking Warriors »

Statistics are very complicated and have varied outcomes. For example, there are two updates made to Fanball every match day to upload the stats from OPTA. This means that the live stats you see during the game could actually be changed post-match. Not only that but OPTA can change stats even further down the line which leads to discrepancies. The Sky stats you refer to Merlin are in actual fact PA stats. OPTA are not allowed to display their own in house stats for non-live Premiership games this is because of a legal contract with dataco. What happens is that PA supply OPTA with a Premiership feed which OPTA then supplies to its clients but OPTA branded. The fantasy games that OPTA supplies aren't powered by the PA feed but the OPTA feed so you will see many discrepancies between the live and fantasy stats. Stats are fundamentally a matter of interpretation so no one can EVER be a 100%. Did Ronaldinho really mean to take that shot in the 2002 World Cup for example, was it a cross? You can't tell unless you can read players minds....

You will see that Fanball, Yahoo and ESPN have vastly different stats for players even though they are all supplied by OPTA.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fanball Sky Sports (Game ceased)”