To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

tff 2019/20 where are we now?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph (TFF). Please post general messages about players etc that are non-specific to TFF on the 'Team News' Forum.
Dumbledore

tff 2019/20 where are we now?

Post by 12345678 »

i am sure many read the topics i started off last year and the more precise numbers that ffstuff used to quantify the critique.

in reaction having read some of the threads it seems that GFM have reacted primarily by upping the value of defenders.

so where are we now, apart from being restricted to 5 teams playing for £10k instead of £50k in what had become a defensive bore fest?

well to me it is very clear, the raising of defensive prices of the likes of robertson/TAA et al to a level well below the threshold where they have ceased to be 'must haves' has done one thing only........ it has reduced the £££ you have left to spend on the rest of your squad. so laughably the attempt to reduce the defensive bore fest has actually resulted in even more of a defensive bore fest! only GFM could do this really and have taken the former most popular fantasy game on fiso to its knees.

it looks like we still have some random passes from midfield being called key contributions when they clearly are not and gaining +3 compared to the minor incident of a goal scoring +5!!!

we still have no real idea of what constitutes a secondary key contribution leaving it open to fiddling as may have happened with changed scores last year.

we now have incorrectly written t&c as another potential issue as happened in the cricket world cup.

this used to be such a great game until GFM got hold of it completely and turned it into a defensive bore fest instead of the goals we love being rewarded in well run comps like fpl, sdt and ALL pay to play shorter games.

for example a facebook group that i belonged to had a king of kings comp, it was based on sdt, sky, fpl. even before this year tff was dropped as players found it too boring! the demands of tff are also greater with transfer cut offs all over the place.

glad to see the telegraph promoting fantasybet who are better at running games now than GFM in my view and more importantly instead of banning you from their social media when you point out errors and inconsistencies listen and take it on board as do fanteam. unfortunately if GFM continue to be paid however badly they foul up tff i can't see it running much longer (as warned in the past), i don't think that there are too few players prepared to play pay to play games but there are too few who want to hang around for 90 minutes to see if their team gets a clean sheet in fantasy terms.

if this is down to the telegraph i apologise unreservedly to GFM but given they have had plenty of opportunity to set the record straight and that they have also seemingly turned sky into a less painful defensive bore fest it would seem unless told otherwise we can assume the blunders are down to GFM.

it's already bye bye tff as we knew it after years of mismanagement of the game but will it be bye bye completely after the latest set of lash ups?

will i play it? yes, for old times sake but as a low priority fantasy game.

Dumbledore

Re: tff 2019/20 where are we now?

Post by 12345678 »

i should add that the reduced budget once you have picked the 'must have's' will probably result in well managed teams being more similar than they have ever been before, so the winner will likely have to deviate at some point and 'get lucky', such as reducing the pool defence to nil and hitting a dry run of clean sheets for them. picking a budget forward and defender that are not popular could also lead to huge gains compared to the past, with defences & big midfielders likely to be extremely similar.

tamagotchi massacre
Treebeard

Post by tamagotchi massacre »

12345678 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 13:24 i am sure many read the topics i started off last year and the more precise numbers that ffstuff used to quantify the critique
well to me it is very clear, the raising of defensive prices of the likes of robertson/TAA et al to a level well below the threshold where they have ceased to be 'must haves' has done one thing only........ it has reduced the £££ you have left to spend on the rest of your squad. so laughably the attempt to reduce the defensive bore fest has actually resulted in even more of a defensive bore fest! only GFM could do this really and have taken the former most popular fantasy game on fiso to its knees.

If you're going to level this criticism then I think you need to define 'defensive borefest'. For me, a defensive borefest would be packing your team out with defenders for teams like Chelsea under Mourinho (much of the time, but not all). Where by and large the points came from defensive performances, i.e. you're watching a game and hoping that basically nothing happens. This isn't the case with the new breed of defenders, or the clubs they play for. The six biggest defenders last year: Robbo, TAA, VvD, Docherty, Walker, Laporte, these players themselves and their teams are anything but a defensive borefest. The number of goals and in parrticular KCs from these players is staggering. Nobody is watching Liverpool or City and expecting or hoping for nothing to happen. So for me the idea that fielding a 'defensive' team desires or results in a 'defensive borefest' is obsolete.

12345678 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 13:44 I should add that the reduced budget once you have picked the 'must have's' will probably result in well managed teams being more similar than they have ever been before
What's your reasoning for this? So I get the logic that pricing you out of being able to afford all the midfielders means people will have to select from a reduced pool of players, but I see no reason for that to result in more alike teams. Ultimately there's only going to be so many good prospects and it doesn't really matter what price point you are at, everyone has the same budget and everyone who takes a similar approach will be selecting from the best available players, who in most cases will occupy the upper end of that price point. There's maybe a case to be made that since 3x more midfield players exist at the 4-5m price point than in the whole 5-7m, that if people are priced out of acquiring as many premium mids then it's inevitable people will be selecting from a wider pool of players and so we'll see more variation

Personally I think TFF is down the drain. The website is dreadful, hardly anyone plays it and I hate the change to being able to transfer moreorless any time. Football is basically 24/7 now and for me it's just asking too much. But i don't agree with your criticism. I agree that they haven't gone far enough to make owning these defenders a tough choice, but for me the increase in price and knock on changes make this a more exciting game. Goals goals goals has always been overrated in a game where everyone could afford to own most of the premium players.

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

thanks for your reply.

i take your point defenders can get offensive points, look back to harte, riise etc.

what i mean is that goals are reduced in value too much so you have to play 5-3-2 or 4-5-1. therefore the defenders rather than strikers hold sway due to tinkering with the rules by GFM. you don't get many goals playing 4-5-1 in fantasy footy compared to 3-4-3. a random pass from midfield getting +3 depending on which way the wind is blowing compared to +5 for a goal shows just how crass the scoring has become.

re less choices. the budget was always fairly tight in recent times, if we go salah/sterling and a decent defence, with a very tight budget now we are looking for players in the end in midfield around say 3x£3M on a budget of £9M and candidates will be far and few between thus meaning a lot of presence for very few bargains in the better teams. if the budget for 3 midfielders left was say £12M then you can go 3x £4M type or 1x £3M/£4M/£5M if you see what i mean.

maybe you can see where i am coming from and maybe not.

i agree with you re anytime transfers, a daft idea borne from the surveys only a few addicts completed i think, along with a few other dafties. they don't seem to get that most have a life outside of fantasy footy and daily cut off is more than adequate. how many do fpl have for instance ;)

obviously the game has now been pretty much trashed in every way and i can't see it coming back, i think they needed to listen a season or two back to have any chance of saving it.

i fully expect the game to fold completely and the telegraph to take some ca$h from the likes of fantasybet/fanteam to promote them. once done i would imagine they wouldn't pay the same ca$h for a second go at publicity with the same punters.

i'll be almost glad to see the back of GFM tbh having seen them foul up the sky game in a similar fashion.

lots of games have folded but generally after bad issues the season before.

whilst i don't like it i think we have to accept the dailies/weekend games with their seasonal 'promos' have taken over from seasonals now.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football (TFF)”