To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

You're Gareth Southgate

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

You're Gareth Southgate

Post by Edmondson »

With exactly 3 months until England kick off their campaign for the World Cup against Tunisia, who is in your starting XI for that game?

Plus who else makes the 23 to be available from the bench.

4-2-3-1

1. Pickford
2. Walker
3. Rose
4. Dier
5. Stones
6. Maguire
7. Sterling
8. Oxlade-Chamberlain
9. Kane (c)
10. Alli
11. Rashford

subs: Butland, Pope, Trippier, Delph, Gomez, Dunk, Henderson, Winks, Lallana, Vardy, Walcott, Welbeck. :oops: :shock: :roll:

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Re: You're Gareth Southgate

Post by CBN »

We know for sure that Southgate is going three at the back don't we?

3-4-3

Hart
Walker
Young
Stones
Maguire
Dier
Henderson
Alli
Sterling
Rashford
Kane

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

If i turn on for the first game and joe hart is in goal then I’m switching off 😂

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

mad dog wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 22:27 If i turn on for the first game and joe hart is in goal then I’m switching off 😂
The alternatives aren’t a lot more reliable though, and a lot less experienced. We’re all set up for the Robert Green scenario again, whoever we go with.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

mad dog wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 22:27 If i turn on for the first game and joe hart is in goal then I’m switching off 😂

I think I'd prefer to Wigan keeper to Hart. :wink:

I'm certainly on the ABH bandwagon.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Also I don’t rate Pickford or Butland. Surely it’s got to be Pope. I know Heaton will probably go back into the Burnley side soon. But Pope has been excellent this season.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

So we are hoping for the 2nd best Burnley keeper to be selected ahead of the 2nd best West Ham keeper.

Let's hope the political situation deteriorates and we can boycott the World Cup to avoid embarrassment.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Has he said we playing 3 at back ? I wouldn't not go 3 at back , it would be one of big blaming points when we lose. I would play city defence if possible walker ,stones delph.

Maguires has fans on here. People say pick players from lower teams like burnley but when they get put in a more attacking side they are not that good . Keane was quite good at burnley went to everton now he's bad . He replacement at Burnley is now a better defender then him? Or burnley are a better defensive team

People said we should call up players like Shawncross once, until he got out class on his only game for england.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, it’s either players who don’t play regularly for “big” teams, or those who do get a game for lesser clubs. Neither is ideal really.

Picking someone who is getting booed by his own fans at a team adrift at the bottom though, apparently due to credit in the bank from cancelling his holiday to accept a late call-up earlier in the season... absolutely indefensible.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

3 at the back it is then . It pointless to predict the formation at international level, theyare always a bit weird and more tatical. Like no one could of predicted Roy's formation with 3 attacking midfielders with one of the being raheem sterling. A LW danny welbeck which was then vardy playing LW and a centre foward playing on the right instead of centre

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Holland look really ordinary (and what’s that kit, it’s not Dutch orange, it’s day-glo red!) They’ve moved from one golden(ish) generation to another the past few decades, but now the talent well seems to have run dry, or at least relocated to Belgium.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

England have passed it well. Does show the value of ditching the donkeys at the back like Smalling & Cahill.

Lingard the only one that’s annoying me. Plenty of endeavour and willing, but just not quite got that bit of class. Sort of player always likely to take on a pot shot.

Pleased Southgate has gone with The Ox in midfield, he’s had to be helped out by Klopp, really he should known this was a better option than Livermore et al.

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

forestfan wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 22:47
The alternatives aren’t a lot more reliable though, and a lot less experienced. We’re all set up for the Robert Green scenario again, whoever we go with.
Joe Hart is a terrible goalkeeper on current form (as outlined by his last rare performance for West Ham). Shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. If you don't play for your club, you shouldn't play for your country. The same goes for Delph, Lallana, Wellbeck etc

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

gazwood wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 09:57
Joe Hart is a terrible goalkeeper on current form (as outlined by his last rare performance for West Ham). Shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. If you don't play for your club, you shouldn't play for your country. The same goes for Delph, Lallana, Wellbeck etc
It’s so difficult though, when the alternatives playing regularly are basically Championship calibre players. Would you really want to face a top quality opponent with Glenn Murray for example as your backup striker, a journeyman player who it was said not so long ago that Brighton would have to replace to stand any chance of staying up, or someone like Welbeck who at least has a reasonable track record at the top level for clubs and country over some years?

Ideally you wouldn’t pick players not getting a regular game and I don’t like “big club bias” at all, but the options are so limited, as there’s so much mediocrity below the big six. Most countries have the same problem these days.

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

forestfan wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 11:21
gazwood wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 09:57
It’s so difficult though, when the alternatives playing regularly are basically Championship calibre players. Would you really want to face a top quality opponent with Glenn Murray for example as your backup striker, a journeyman player who it was said not so long ago that Brighton would have to replace to stand any chance of staying up, or someone like Welbeck who at least has a reasonable track record at the top level for clubs and country over some years?

Ideally you wouldn’t pick players not getting a regular game and I don’t like “big club bias” at all, but the options are so limited, as there’s so much mediocrity below the big six. Most countries have the same problem these days.
Murray or Welbeck? Yawn, but given the argument you've provided maybe I'd agree with Welbeck

Somebody like Sessegnon or Welbeck? Sessegnon. After all it's the 4th place striker who probably won't get much game time so give the future some squad time and let's be honest, he's much more exciting. Not sure if I trust Welbeck to manage 3 weeks injury free (remember Owen in 2006?). Who is more deserving after their retrospective seasons?

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Edmondson wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 20:59 England have passed it well. Does show the value of ditching the donkeys at the back like Smalling & Cahill.

Yep I was suprised by that, played from the back and second we had half long spell of possestion .At start I thought england have so many counter attacking players with pace that the prem league buys players from abroad to help them keep the ball better.

And I think that's england indenty. counter attack with pace

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, someone like Sessegnon would be a brave move. But most likely, a Walcott 2006.

If Southgate liked the look of him for this summer, he should have told him to get a PL move in January. You can’t judge anyone’s international prospects from second tier football. Burton Albion’s defence isn’t quite on a par with Belgium’s.

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

forestfan wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 15:03 Well, someone like Sessegnon would be a brave move. But most likely, a Walcott 2006.

If Southgate liked the look of him for this summer, he should have told him to get a PL move in January. You can’t judge anyone’s international prospects from second tier football. Burton Albion’s defence isn’t quite on a par with Belgium’s.
Im afraid I disagree. He's going to learn and develop a lot more playing as he is in a very decent Fulham team than he would with but part appearances for the likes of West Ham, Stoke and Southampton and he deserves to be commended for that. And if you're going to go down that route then Southgate should tell the likes of the previously mentioned Delph Lallana etc to also move in order to get first team football, how can you judge them on cameo sub and meaningless Cup games?

Not every team in the championship are Burton Albion. John Terry is still and will be better than half the centre backs that will appear at the World Cup and he had the better of him all game earlier this month.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I'm sure this thread is pretty much the same as others before every Tournament for years, but with different names.......

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:08 I'm sure this thread is pretty much the same as others before every Tournament for years, but with different names.......
We’ve got fewer top class players, people playing regularly and in form, than I can ever remember.

Say what you like about the “golden” generation, they were nearly all Champions League players, now we’re considering Championship players.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

gazwood wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 15:38
forestfan wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 15:03 Well, someone like Sessegnon would be a brave move. But most likely, a Walcott 2006.

Im afraid I disagree. He's going to learn and develop a lot more playing as he is in a very decent Fulham team than he would with but part appearances for the likes of West Ham, Stoke and Southampton and he deserves to be commended for that. And if you're going to go down that route then Southgate should tell the likes of the previously mentioned Delph Lallana etc to also move in order to get first team football, how can you judge them on cameo sub and meaningless Cup games?

Not every team in the championship are Burton Albion. John Terry is still and will be better than half the centre backs that will appear at the World Cup and he had the better of him all game earlier this month.
Delph is injured isn't he ? Got red card then got injuryed
And has Lallana just got back from injury too ?

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

I remember klopp saying on Lallana first game back if he doesn't make england squad then england have an amazing team

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:18
blahblah wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:08 I'm sure this thread is pretty much the same as others before every Tournament for years, but with different names.......
We’ve got fewer top class players, people playing regularly and in form, than I can ever remember.

Say what you like about the “golden” generation, they were nearly all Champions League players, now we’re considering Championship players.
Off the top of my head....

...........Erm

Walker... Stones..????...Rose
........Dier....Henderson

Sterling....Lallana(?)...Jesse
..........Kane

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I’d say Kane, Sterling and Walker are the only genuine top drawer players by European standards. If you looked at the squad from say 2002 or 2006, would anyone else from the current squad get in?

The others are mostly either not automatic starting choices for their clubs, or they’re Jordan Henderson :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm not sure that the Golden Generation were.

With more better foreign players, especially at the CL Clubs, they have to be that bit better now than then....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:45 I'm not sure that the Golden Generation were.

With more better foreign players, especially at the CL Clubs, they have to be that bit better now than then....
G Neville v Walker - perhaps a close call, different types of RB
Cashley v Rose/Bertrand/Shaw - no contest, the former Mr Tweedy walks it.
Sol/Rio/Terry/Ledley v any current CB - again, no contest, none of today’s candidates would make the 23.
Beckham/Lampard/Gerrard/Scholes v current midfield options - again, nobody remotely in same class these days. Dier/Henderson would perhaps push Nicky Butt for a squad place.
Keepers - weak in both generations, call it a draw.
Kane/Sterling v peak Owen/young Rooney - again, different types of forward players, maybe about even.

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

buu1333 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:27

Kind of proving my point. Delph is always injured but yet gets selected for his country despite never playing and then as you say Lallana has just got back from injury but is deemed to have performed well enough to have earnt a call up to the national side. A better selection than someone like Shelvey at the current time. Never.

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

forestfan wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:57
blahblah wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:45 I'm not sure that the Golden Generation were.

G Neville v Walker - perhaps a close call, different types of RB
Cashley v Rose/Bertrand/Shaw - no contest, the former Mr Tweedy walks it.
Sol/Rio/Terry/Ledley v any current CB - again, no contest, none of today’s candidates would make the 23.
Beckham/Lampard/Gerrard/Scholes v current midfield options - again, nobody remotely in same class these days. Dier/Henderson would perhaps push Nicky Butt for a squad place.
Keepers - weak in both generations, call it a draw.
Kane/Sterling v peak Owen/young Rooney - again, different types of forward players, maybe about even.
Totally agree

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

gazwood wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 18:39
buu1333 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:27

Kind of proving my point. Delph is always injured but yet gets selected for his country despite never playing and then as you say Lallana has just got back from injury but is deemed to have performed well enough to have earnt a call up to the national side. A better selection than someone like Shelvey at the current time. Never.
Delph was first choice RB for city this season he just got injuryed once and still is out a little longer . By that logic kane is out for england. It's like brazil not putting in jesus from man city in beacuse of injury and playing a bit less cos of it . Southgate put walker in def last night beacuse of chemisty.Shelvey has not played much for england or big games for club, its too soon now

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Left back.

And Mendy was/is first choice.

Danilo, Zinchenko and Delph all filled in.

Other than that....decent post. ;)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”