To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP

Post by forestfan »

The Dutch pretty much confirmed as the first big name casualty, they need to put seven past Sweden to make the play-offs...

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Look at that team and you are struck by the lack of creativity in midfield, but it's difficult to suggest any improvement.

Agree with your Hart comment, although I'd tone down awful to very average.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

We don't have a great set of candidates for the creative roles in midfield. That's why it's important Lallana is used in that area rather that stuck out wide or pushed too far forward. Better off taking Dier & Henderson for what they are and work with that, rather than shoehorn some sub standard supposedly creative type in there. You've also got Alli who can create for Kane if we can get him the ball.

I think the last thing I'd describe Hart as is very average. For me, that's a keeper who does the basics fairly well but hasn't got too many of the world class saves in his locker. I think Hart can make the odd very decent save but he is erratic. I do think his personality plays a huge part and that's why I'd call him awful.

If England are to punch above their weight they need that great team spirit that would have been a feature for likes of Leicester, Wales etc. You are not going to get that when people are having to "put up with" likes of Hart, Sturridge, Sterling etc.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

It's all a matter of opinion. The average keeper makes good saves sometimes, otherwise they'd never be picked even for Dover or Barrow, but most of them also make bad errors at times.

Your very average keeper who always does the simple things well but never brings off a great save is a pretty rare animal at any level of football. Not my definition of average. :wink:

Agree with your point about team spirit. So let's hope that Southgate confounds us by being inspirational rather than "sound". But I won't be holding my breathe. Perhaps we should give Pochettino a tenporary summer job. Then maybe at least half the team would know what they were supposed to be doing. :wink:

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

What happened to Jack Wilshire? He was going to be the next big thing apparently. I'm sure somebody on here (probably an Arsenal fan) said he was some sort of creative genius and first on the England team sheet or something like that.

The trouble with the current crop is there are no personalities. They are all, to a man, bland, bland, bland. And the manager, well, he's bland too! They need a bit of 'punk spirit' to liven them all up.

I actually think this is a problem with the game per say. The only character who seems to have an obsessive desire to win is Ronaldo who basically dragged Portugal to Euro victory by the scruffs of their necks and at 25/1 I think they're value to do it again in Russia too (will surely be half that if they qualify by beating the Swiss).

Southgate is right though, we need a superstar to make the world think twice. Could young (old) Jack be the answer? Christ, I really am clutching at straws now.

Gazza, bring your boots, you might get a game, son.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Striker - yes i get your point, the keepers aren't robots who are just set to a level and never go below or above.

I guess if I referenced my point to the good old one on one.

An average keeper could come out, have a good position with his angles, but get done every time by the Henry open the body up and bend in the far corner.

The excellent keeper might be out like Schmeichel making himself bigger than the average guy and pull off some stops, where it looked a certain goal.

Then you have a keeper who might come charging out, could get the ball and be the hero but equally just completely clean the striker out for a penalty. This is where Hart sits.

If it's not Henry bearing down on goal, then maybe Mr Average might actually do the job, as the striker sticks it wide or straight at him.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

What makes a good or great keeper though? Is it one-on-ones and close range reflex saves, or commanding his area, or just lack of mistakes... or even being good with his feet, which seems fashionable right now?

At the very top level it's not the eye-catching save-a-minute type you see playing for lesser nations at World Cups that you need, because you shouldn't be facing that many shots on target. It's the concentration to not make a mistake when you've had little to do for much of the game, and also commanding your penalty area at set pieces.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

forestfan wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 13:37 What makes a good or great keeper though? Is it one-on-ones and close range reflex saves, or commanding his area, or just lack of mistakes... or even being good with his feet, which seems fashionable right now?

At the very top level it's not the eye-catching save-a-minute type you see playing for lesser nations at World Cups that you need, because you shouldn't be facing that many shots on target. It's the concentration to not make a mistake when you've had little to do for much of the game, and also commanding your penalty area at set pieces.
Yes, this.

However, maybe that means we need a different keeper in qualification (Hart) and then a busy shot-stopper type in the finals. After all, our keeper is going to be a lot busier from the 2nd round onwards.

It'll take a very brave Southgate to do that, after all, we could end up with a Rob Green in goal :shock:

One of the biggest issues we have is that we've had a weak bunch to select from in the 15 years since Seaman retired.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, we’re better off than in 2010 when we had the ageing David James, the untried Hart or the sub-standard Green to choose from... at least there’s some promising young contenders now. Hart has lost his way the last couple of years for a few reasons and has a lot to do to hang onto the starting place for Russia.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Scotland haven't turned up today, same old story.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Tacalabala wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 18:30 Scotland haven't turned up today, same old story.
Yeah, looked good for them with the first half goal, but it’s all fallen apart since.

The damage was done early in the campaign though, they did well to recover enough to get to the final game with it in their own hands. That should give them hope for the Euro 2020 campaign.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Snodgrass equaliser....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, was just about to switch over to NFL, and Snodgrass makes it Desmond... not over yet!

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Draw, I don't know why the players are upset, they were ahead and took their foot off the pedal, they only have themselves to blame.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Tacalabala wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 18:53 Draw, I don't know why the players are upset, they were ahead and took their foot off the pedal, they only have themselves to blame.
Yeah, Slovenia were the better side on the whole, they can't have too many complaints.

Meanwhile Poland become the latest European qualifiers with a 4-2 win over Montenegro, Denmark's draw means it was academic anyway. Northern Ireland now guaranteed a play-off place.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Dennisthemenace wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 12:49 What happened to Jack Wilshire? He was going to be the next big thing apparently. I'm sure somebody on here (probably an Arsenal fan) said he was some sort of creative genius and first on the England team sheet or something like that.

He is back in first team squad and fingers crossed sooner rather than later he will be back in team, depends on his avoiding injuries.
Am biased towards him but to me put him in that England mid and suddenly we have a team with potential. There are a couple of available players to pair him with. The front 3 we had today will benefit from his passing range and way he runs at defenders.
If we as seems a poss going for 3 at the back its important that they are given plenty of games together before start of WC, we do have a few contenders for wing back roll. Not saying we will win it but its not as bleak as many think, but to me Jack keeps fit, or if another like him can be found we have chances

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

mikeg13 wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 20:40
Dennisthemenace wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 12:49 What happened to Jack Wilshire? He was going to be the next big thing apparently. I'm sure somebody on here (probably an Arsenal fan) said he was some sort of creative genius and first on the England team sheet or something like that.

He is back in first team squad and fingers crossed sooner rather than later he will be back in team, depends on his avoiding injuries.
Am biased towards him but to me put him in that England mid and suddenly we have a team with potential. There are a couple of available players to pair him with. The front 3 we had today will benefit from his passing range and way he runs at defenders.
If we as seems a poss going for 3 at the back its important that they are given plenty of games together before start of WC, we do have a few contenders for wing back roll. Not saying we will win it but its not as bleak as many think, but to me Jack keeps fit, or if another like him can be found we have chances
He couldn’t even make an impact with Bournemouth last season, apart from proving over a number of years that he’s made of glass... just seems certain to be another wasted talent now.

There don’t seem to be any obvious solutions to the issue of finding a creative central midfielder though. Maybe we just lump it up there and find a big man to knock it down for Kane...

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

forestfan wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 21:43
mikeg13 wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 20:40

He couldn’t even make an impact with Bournemouth last season, apart from proving over a number of years that he’s made of glass... just seems certain to be another wasted talent now.

There don’t seem to be any obvious solutions to the issue of finding a creative central midfielder though. Maybe we just lump it up there and find a big man to knock it down for Kane...
His last appearance for us was very promising, hopefully Wenger will give him some game time in first 11, but as you rightly say its if he can keep fit. He does and in my view he is England's best option, not seen another candidate with his abilities. Way game played at moment made for him at international level, just need to keep him away from making rash tackles, pair him with somebody like Dyer or even Lalana, Kane will fire the bullets we need that final ball to put him in position and Jack can do that.

robot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Winner tff world 2018 knockout 2nd TFF Euro 2012 Group Stage,tff weekly winner 13/14wk25, 14/15wk7&19,16/17wk2,,Winner tff champions league two foot challenge, winner sun Elite league 15/16,winner tff 17/18 chairmen league, week32 weekender joint 1st.

Post by robot »

For Info as it stands, the table for showing the 9th 2nd placed loser!

Teams in bold are confirmed in play-offs

Pos. Grp Team Pld Pts GD Goals
1 B Portugal 7 18 +18 22
2 E Denmark 8 14 +7 13
3 G Italy 7 14 +3 11
4 A Sweden 7 13 +10 17
5 C Northern Ireland 8 13 +4 10
6 H Greece 8 13 +4 9
7 F Slovakia 8 12 +5 10
8 D Wales 7 11 +2 7
9 I Croatia 7 11 +2 6

Other teams that could finish second in their groups
A: France 16pts, GD +9, Goals 13
A: Netherlands 10pts, GD 0, Goals 11
B: Switzerland 21pts, GD +14, Goals 18
D: Serbia 12pts, GD +3, Goals 13
D: Republic of Ireland 10pts, GD 0, Goals 6
H: Bosnia and Herzegovina 8pts, GD +1, Goals 13
I: Iceland (played all eight eligible games) 16pts, GD +6, Goals 12
I: Ukraine 11pts, GD +1, Goals 8

Denmark, Italy and Northern Ireland have all confirmed a place in the play-offs.
Portugal and Switzerland are guaranteed to be the top two in Group B and whoever comes second is assured of a play-off spot.
Whoever out of France, Sweden and the Netherlands finishes second in Group A will reach the play-offs.
Greece will be in the play-offs should they beat Gibraltar to clinch Group H second place.
Slovakia will be in if either Croatia and Ukraine or Wales and the Republic of Ireland draw on Monday, or if Greece do not beat Gibraltar and Bosnia and Herzegovina defeat Estonia to finish second in Group H on Tuesday.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

As much as I'd like to see Ireland do the business, Wales are better and would be a better bet to get through the playoffs as well. This should be a classic encounter....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, more than 20 minutes in, and not a single goal in nine matches!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

10 minutes to half time and still not a goal in sight! That’s pretty much equivalent to four complete goalless draws... don’t a few teams need to win? I know the Spain/Italy group is done and dusted, but teams should be playing with the pressure off in that situation...

Edit: Well done Macedonia :wink:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Iceland ahead as well, I should imagine they are quite nervous given what a big deal it'll be for them to get there. I'd love it if they are drawn to play Russia in the opening game and beat them in front of Putin.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Massive Irish goal ☘️

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Serbia score which would clinch the group. Croatia 2-0 up in Ukraine, so is the current scoreline good enough for the Irish or do they need another goal?

A second Iceland goal surely sending them to Russia.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Slovakia are now the ninth placed second placed team and will miss out.

A Scotland win last night and it would have been Rep of Ireland missing out.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Ashers wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 21:27 Slovakia are now the ninth placed second placed team and will miss out.

Well, unless Greece eff up against Gibraltar and Bosnia leapfrog them (which would grant a reprieve to Slovakia)... pretty unlikely though!

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

forestfan wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 21:37
Ashers wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 21:27 Slovakia are now the ninth placed second placed team and will miss out.

Well, unless Greece eff up against Gibraltar and Bosnia leapfrog them (which would grant a reprieve to Slovakia)... pretty unlikely though!
Greece game is excluded.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Ashers wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 21:40
forestfan wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 21:37

Greece game is excluded.
But if Greece draw or lose and Bosnia win, Bosnia would take second place (but would have a worse record than Slovakia and so miss out).

I doubt many Slovakians are holding their breath though :lol:

robot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Winner tff world 2018 knockout 2nd TFF Euro 2012 Group Stage,tff weekly winner 13/14wk25, 14/15wk7&19,16/17wk2,,Winner tff champions league two foot challenge, winner sun Elite league 15/16,winner tff 17/18 chairmen league, week32 weekender joint 1st.

Post by robot »

Going to be a close call on rankings to decide the 4 seeds.
Northern ireland as it stands seed wise could be in the top 4? and play ROI.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”