To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

England's next Euro Qualifier XI

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

England's next Euro Qualifier XI

Post by Edmondson »

Can't ever remember a more bizarre time for the make up of England's next competitive XI.....

This was the squad from last game:

England
01 Hart
02 Clyne Booked
05 Cahill
06 Jagielka Booked (Smalling - 89' )
03 Gibbs Booked
07 Wilshere
04 Henderson
08 Lallana (Milner - 80' )
11 Sterling Booked (Oxlade-Chamberlain - 85' )
10 Rooney
09 Welbeck
Substitutes
12 Smalling
13 Foster
14 Chambers
15 Barkley
16 Milner
17 Oxlade-Chamberlain
18 Walcott
19 Downing
20 Berahino
21 Lambert
22 Forster

Several areas where it has gone strange:

1. Main striker - surely Kane is now the number one, yet he hasn't even made the squad before :o Sturridge was the main man, but then Welbeck took his chance in last few internationals. You'd have to put Kane in though?

2. Rooney - been quiet again recently in deep role for struggling United. Captain so has to go in, 2 goals in the friendly v scots :roll:

3. Central midfield - who have we actually got to play there :?: :!: :?: where we had Scholes / Gerrard / Lampard and then Barry started getting a game in there, we now have Jordan Henderson :P I'd love to see The Ox given a run in there, but he doesn't get to play in the middle for his club, in fact he rarely gets a game. Milner could do a job, Delph? With Wilshere injured again who after a rocky patch did find a bit of form for England, and now a fall back option Carrick also out...just seems odd that such a key part of any side, we have no recognised, experienced go to man. Guess it is Hendo.

4. Centre back - are Jags and Cahill still the pairing? Stones looks better than Jags these days, and Cahill suffered a recent dropping. Jones has yet to really re establish himself. Again a worrying area, crying out for someone like Stones to take one of the slots and make it his.

5. Right back - who is first choice these days, is it now Clyne?

6. Sterling - where does he play now? Shunted out wide because Rooney is skipper :evil:

7. Wide man - who is our main wide man, is Lallana now nailed on for a start, despite being in and out at his club? Does Welbeck revert to doing a job out wide having just nailed down his centre forward role?

What will the England XI be for next Euro Qualifier - assuming no fresh injuries?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: England's next Euro Qualifier XI

Post by murf »

Don't care any more . Just want my TFF and LFC players to come back unharmed for once....

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

They have Lithuania at home on a Friday night before a friendly in Italy the following Tuesday, should be able to win both I reckon.

As for XI:

Hart

Clyne
Cahill
Jagielka
Cresswell

Lallana
Henderson
Rooney
Sterling

Welbeck
Kane

Clearly the defence is not good enough, but really where are the options?

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

If only Kane had been given a real chance last season for Spurs, then he could have made the squad for Brazil.

Isn't he a classic example? 20 years ago he would have (probably) been consistently in a premier league first team at age 18-19.
Last edited by tommymooney on 11 Feb 2015, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Tacalabala wrote:They have Lithuania at home on a Friday night before a friendly in Italy the following Tuesday, should be able to win both I reckon.

As for XI:

Hart

Clyne
Cahill
Jagielka
Cresswell

Lallana
Henderson
Rooney
Sterling

Welbeck
Kane

Clearly the defence is not good enough, but really where are the options?
I think John Stones will challenge Jagielka at centre-back before the finals and Phil Jones could easily be another.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

I know it's "only" Lithuania at home, but not keen on a central midfield pairing of Henderson and Rooney. Henderson normally plays as the box-to-box man for his club, and Rooney at the tip of the diamond.

It's fitting square pegs in round holes based on their names / status.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

tommymooney wrote:If only Kane had been given a real chance last season for Spurs, then he could have made the squad for Brazil.

Isn't he a classic example? 20 years ago he would have (probably) been consistently in a premier league first team at age 18-19.
He went to Championship/League One clubs on loan a couple of years ago and didn't stand out. Seems exactly the sort that being thrown in early wouldn't have done much for.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

-------------Hart------------
Clyne-Stones-Cahill-Baines
---Milner--Hendo--Lallana--
-----------Sterling-----------
-------Rooney--Kane--------

Think I'd be looking for something like that XI. Would like to see Kane thrown in, he deserves it, plus Welbeck and Sturridge coming back from injuries. Milner in some form now, so deserves to start and will help to give us a bit more solidity in midfield.

Walcott on bench to come on, with Sturridge / Welbeck.

Also get Stones in as well.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Has Sturridge played a full game yet since he returned from injury?
Home to lowly Lithuania would be an ideal opportunity to try an alternative like Danny Ings, or Charlie Austin, and ease Sturridge's comeback.
Or maybe go really wild and have a look at Troy Deeney.
Obviously, being a bit daring has never been Woy's way.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:Has Sturridge played a full game yet since he returned from injury?
Home to lowly Lithuania would be an ideal opportunity to try an alternative like Danny Ings, or Charlie Austin, and ease Sturridge's comeback.
Or maybe go really wild and have a look at Troy Deeney.
Obviously, being a bit daring has never been Woy's way.
I was also a bit disappointed by the forwards chosen my Roy. I totally agree with Fox and think Roy shouldn't have picked Sturridge and Welbeck for the friendlies but taken Ings and Austin instead.

And surely there are better English defenders out there rather than selecting Jones and Smalling?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”