To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Penalty Shoot Out's

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Penalty Shoot Out's

Post by Rick »

I don't know how many saw the fantasy Football TV program a month or so ago when Le Tissier revealed the secrets to his very impressive penalty record.

It is so simple I don't know why every professional footballer doesn't know it. (but they don't seem to).

Basically if you are right footed you run up from the left and stick it in the side netting to the keepers left, the natural curve of the flight of the ball actually takes it away from the keeper making it almost impossible for the keeper to save if hit properly. The only way the keeper would have a chance is if he went early. Then you simply side foot it into the other side, which is simple as your body shape would be perfect to just tap it the other way (wouldn't even have to go in the other corner if has has already gone the other way).

Obviously if you are left footed, then you just do everything the same but the opposite side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujRImS-UgoY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They should sit the England team down, show then that clip, then go and practice it.

It's so simple, but it works.

Backlash
Dumbledore

Re: Penalty Shoot Out's

Post by Backlash »

Let's hope they do not send Merson if Le Tissier is busy going by that video!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Lambert has never missed one as a pro has he? (Still, unlike his Southampton predecessor he never had to face Mark Crossley...) Anyway, make sure we have a substitution left if penalties are approaching!

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Baines also has a 100% record.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Actually, Lambert could well have faced Crossley during the former Forest keeper's later career spell at League One Oldham... can anyone confirm whether they ever went head to head from the penalty spot?

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

Pathetic attitude from all the English commentators on the penalty shoot out today. You can see why we always lose.

All they could talk about was the pressure. And to hear Shearer say never change your mind, you can see why his record was no where near that of Le Tiss.

Neymar takes his the Le Tiss way, was he worried? no.

Why the Le Tissier way of taking penalties isn't written to every coaching hand book I don't know. If carried out by anybody with Sunday League ability of higher it almost guarantees a goal no matter how good the keeper. The only way a miss would happen is if the penalty taker missed.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

Aye, I don't know what all the fuss is about either. Should be a piece of piss.

Kinell, it's only the World Cup and the hopes of a nation riding on one kick of a football ...

:D

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

MLT has reduced the penalty to a science and a rational decision, thereby taking all the emotion/pressure out. It's perfect.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

I have written about this before the English have no idea when it comes to tactics in or out of a penalty shoot out, first of all nearly every country or top club team put their best penalty taker last when the pressure is greatest, who took Brazils last pen last night - Neymar, I remember English commentators laughing when Portuguese Ronaldo was saved for the 5th pen and his team lost before it reached him, they have no idea in England, none at all.

As regards Le Tissier pens they were excellent, England should have built their team around the likes of him and Hoddle before him but they seem to have a liking for hard working less creative players like Peter Storey, David Batty, Paul Ince, Gareth Barry, James Milner types.
Le Tissier needs to teach them pens and a top goalie needs to teach them that a right footer taking a straight run up particularly a long fast straight run up can only blast it straight or put it to the goalies right, same for the left footer but opposite as those penalty takers are unable to open their body up and put it in the other corner.

Its not rocket science, I know England didn't get to the penalty stage this world cup but if Wales ever make it again to a World Cup I hope they would be better clued than England have been over the years if it ever came down to pens.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

Tacalabala wrote:MLT has reduced the penalty to a science and a rational decision, thereby taking all the emotion/pressure out. It's perfect.
You mean the guy who stayed at Southampton thereby refusing to ever play under any real pressure?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

One shoot-out doesn't prove you put your best player last, though I saw one article suggesting that 1, 4 and 5 are the key slots, and perhaps hide your weaker ones away at 2 and 3? And also that the "superstars" tend to miss more than the "ordinary" players as the pressure is greater on them.

When I see a centre-back step up I nearly always expect him to miss though. I'd say the key thing is having players who take them regularly under match pressure. As a manager have your order of takers, 1-23 from your squad, then the top five on the list who are on the pitch at 120 minutes take them, no "who fancies it" crap...

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

forestfan wrote:One shoot-out doesn't prove you put your best player last, though I saw one article suggesting that 1, 4 and 5 are the key slots, and perhaps hide your weaker ones away at 2 and 3? And also that the "superstars" tend to miss more than the "ordinary" players as the pressure is greater on them.

When I see a centre-back step up I nearly always expect him to miss though. I'd say the key thing is having players who take them regularly under match pressure. As a manager have your order of takers, 1-23 from your squad, then the top five on the list who are on the pitch at 120 minutes take them, no "who fancies it" crap...
Yeah, makes me laugh when they say this, as if any manager worth his salt these dyas hasn't already got the order in his mind. Still, it surprises me how few GKs go up to take pens in a shoot-out, surely they'd be better than most at it since they know what it looks like from the other end?

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

forestfan wrote:One shoot-out doesn't prove you put your best player last, though I saw one article suggesting that 1, 4 and 5 are the key slots, and perhaps hide your weaker ones away at 2 and 3? And also that the "superstars" tend to miss more than the "ordinary" players as the pressure is greater on them.

Most of the top 'foreign' teams put their best penalty taker to take the fifth penalty .
The order often being 2-3-4-5-1 or 2-4-5-3-1 [in order of best].

SamD
FISO Knight

Shootout

Post by SamD »

There's more pressure on the team going second.

Simple strategy: win the coin toss and take the first penalty. Last eight World Cup shootouts have been won this way.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Shootout

Post by murf »

SamD wrote:There's more pressure on the team going second.

Simple strategy: win the coin toss and take the first penalty.
Just like Eggheads! they always choose to go first.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

trampie wrote:

Most of the top 'foreign' teams put their best penalty taker to take the fifth penalty .
I wouldn't want a weak one up fourth, I'd say that's most commonly the decisive one, it's rarely done and dusted before that but miss that one and it can be all over.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

forestfan wrote:
trampie wrote:

I wouldn't want a weak one up fourth, I'd say that's most commonly the decisive one, it's rarely done and dusted before that but miss that one and it can be all over.

And Greece miss their 4th pen, and go out. Presumably Samaras was being saved as the 5th, but he never got to take it..

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

I think it is interesting that CR-GRE had so much more quality pens than did BRA-CHI. Even the made pens in BRA-CHI were fairly poorly taken (well, except this rocket which is the best penalty I have ever seen https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/369DDDC5 ... 8I8TlvxLRt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Must be do to pressure.

Joe Kerr
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Joe Kerr »

This boy knows how to take a penalty

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”