To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FISO's WC2014 Thread

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: FISO's WC2014 Thread

Post by blahblah »

liquidfootball2 wrote:At the of the match someone pulled off Vincente del Bosque's mask to reveal David Moyes..Scooby Doo style
That would make some sense.

This has been quite an impressive implosion: having practically dominated the first half of the Dutch game, until a lucky\brilliant RvP special, to being worse than pants, and worthy of the Moyes Award for turning Water into Pi55.

There was a theory that Koke should start as he (proverbially) loaded Costa's gun at Madrid. Koke starts on the bench, appears at half-time for Costa to then be taken off 15 mins later in a manner akin to olde England playing tall blokes up front without wingers only to drop them off when picking wingers :lol:

Years of success with false number 9's gets changed almost overnight with a few dodgy friendlies for Costa to start, rather be in control of matches and bring him on for 20 mins......

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

To me it just seemed they were a bit flat. When you look at the way Chile hunted the ball - that's what Spain used to do to the point where you struggled to get out of your own half. They didn't look like they had the energy or even desire so I'm not sure what Del Bosque could have done apart from make more wholesale changes, but it's understandable he would show faith in his players.

Also think confidence is probably a factor - there was a while there when Barca were almost invincible, but they have lost that and they still make up a good chuck of the Spain team.

On that performance I wouldn't bet against Chile either (a) topping their group or (b) beating Brazil if they don't. That would be a very dangerous match for Brazil if they don't find some rhythm/form. Problem with Chile is their style is so all-action they must surely get tired as the tournament goes on. The Holland game will be interesting, not least the team selections.

Great team to watch though and plenty of entertainment all-round so far. :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Some of the passing resembled a snooker player on a break struggling for position - whereas before it looked effortless etc it all seemed a strain etc. The almost total loss of confidence obviously played a part as they did look panicky, but starting Costa, rather than bringing him on must have played a part as for the last three halves they never looked dangerous on the attack, let alone Casillas looking calamatous.

The rationale in the BBC studio for Fab coming on was interesting, but then maybe they don't know that he is pants after Xmas :wink:

Anyhow I am sure Villa, Mata and Fab enjoyed watching the implosion.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: The World Cup - BBC v ITV coverage

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Poor refereeing from Webb as he awarded an IC free kick for a dive but it's game over now anyway.

or maybe not

Webb's made a few errors here

Joe Kerr
Grumpy Old Man

Re: The World Cup - BBC v ITV coverage

Post by Joe Kerr »

Gervinho!

What potential that guy has. He's got to be in the premier league of most frustrating players. Bags of skill, but so unbelieveably inconsistent with it. Not a patch on Nani though.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

I'm changing my mind every day on who's going to win this, has to be at least 10 teams with a realistic chance.

gilva18
Red & Blue Braces

Post by gilva18 »

Can anybody explain why Luiz was awarded 5 pts for the first goal tonight when it was clearly an own goal???

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

gilva18 wrote:Can anybody explain why Luiz was awarded 5 pts for the first goal tonight when it was clearly an own goal???
Because FIFA awarded it to him.

If you are talking TFF they always go with the officially named goalscorer.

bigsheff
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bigsheff »

i thought it brushed his midriff on the way in, you can see his shirt move as it catches him

gilva18
Red & Blue Braces

Post by gilva18 »

Ive watched it many times and am convinced its an OG. Good old Fifa

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

gilva18 wrote:Ive watched it many times and am convinced its an OG. Good old Fifa
The defender definitely got the last 'significant' touch but I think bigsheff is right in that it brushed Luiz's shirt on the way in.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

FIFA seem less keen on giving OGs than the Premier League. Remember Rio Ferdinand's "goal" in 2002, I think his only one for England? A header going away from goal that was bundled in by the keeper.

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

Watching Ned vs Mex and can't get over how many empty seats there are. Are people hiding below the stands due to the sun being too strong or is this just another over priced game that locals can't afford to go to?

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

stuboy wrote:Watching Ned vs Mex and can't get over how many empty seats there are. Are people hiding below the stands due to the sun being too strong or is this just another over priced game that locals can't afford to go to?
It's primarily the heat. This slow turgid stuff is exactly what a Qatar World Cup would give us and makes it even more peculiar why Platini is so high profile in his support.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
stuboy wrote:Watching Ned vs Mex and can't get over how many empty seats there are. Are people hiding below the stands due to the sun being too strong or is this just another over priced game that locals can't afford to go to?
It's primarily the heat. This slow turgid stuff is exactly what a Qatar World Cup would give us and makes it even more peculiar why Platini is so high profile in his support.
They'll basically have to play the whole thing at night, 19:00 21:15 and 23:30 kos local time.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Still on for an all-European final as Holland are now effectively one massive hurdle away now. Must be favourites to beat Greece/Costa Rica and then the big one with Brazil or Colombia.

While Germany have a good chance in the other half of the draw.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Holland are in Argentina's half, not Brazil's... so they will have to overcome Messi and co, or perhaps the Belgians or Yanks in the last four if they progress. While Brazil or Colombia have perhaps the French or Germans standing in their way.

Costa Rica and Greece would have been hoping for extra time in that one...

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

forestfan wrote:Holland are in Argentina's half, not Brazil's... so they will have to overcome Messi and co, or perhaps the Belgians or Yanks in the last four if they progress. While Brazil or Colombia have perhaps the French or Germans standing in their way.

Costa Rica and Greece would have been hoping for extra time in that one...
Thanks forestfan had that totally the wrong way. I can't see Belgium or the USA being good enough to beat Holland or Argentina although the Belgians have been well below par.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 29 Jun 2014, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I think it was just 2002 where they kept the two halves apart, so A-B-C-D didn't play E-F-G-H until the final, I guess due to the Japan/South Korea logistics. It's better to mix it up at an earlier stage though, as well as keeping all potential final match-ups possible when the tournament kicks off.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
Radio said all the fans in the sunny bit had to leave their seats and stand in the shade. Must have been very hot so everyone chose to do that.

Qatar....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, these Costa Ricans have yet another string to their bow... even the Germans wouldn't fancy facing them on penalties on this evidence! I thought after all that they'd struggle to even walk to the spot and their keeper would need to save two or three for them to be in it.

They say red cards ruin games, well the red card made this one, playing against 10 men is about the only thing that can force Greece onto the attack. You have to admire their resilience but they didn't deserve to go any further in the tournament.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

liquidfootball2 wrote:Still on for an all-European final as Holland are now effectively one massive hurdle away now. Must be favourites to beat Greece/Costa Rica and then the big one with Brazil or Colombia.

You have your bracket all wrong.

Dutch looking at Argentina in the semis. Dutch are way overrated (as shown today) but should be able to muddle through Costa Rica. Argentia might be in same boat but surely can advance in a quad with Swiss, US, and Belgium. On the other side, you are looking at probably the four best teams in the tournament in Brazil-Colombia-France-Germany. For my money, France has been the best team so far, but they are looking at a gauntlet to advance.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

SuperGrover wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote:Still on for an all-European final as Holland are now effectively one massive hurdle away now. Must be favourites to beat Greece/Costa Rica and then the big one with Brazil or Colombia.

You have your bracket all wrong.

Dutch looking at Argentina in the semis. Dutch are way overrated (as shown today) but should be able to muddle through Costa Rica. Argentia might be in same boat but surely can advance in a quad with Swiss, US, and Belgium. On the other side, you are looking at probably the four best teams in the tournament in Brazil-Colombia-France-Germany. For my money, France has been the best team so far, but they are looking at a gauntlet to advance.
Yep SuperGrover forestfan had already pointed out i'd got it completely the wrong way round but thanks also.

I think France have been pretty much untested so far and so are not so easy to judge, although you can't do more than beat the opposition you're drawn against.

I also expect them to comfortably beat Nigeria who have were given a big helping hand from the officials to even get this far.

Germany have beaten a below par Portugal and a tough USA and with their past tournament record, (although granted not so much recently), I'd fancy to progress and meet Brazil in the semi.

The Dutch looked extremely impressive when demolishing Spain and managed to cope with playing in a furnace to eventually scrape past Mexico, who themselves had been impressive in drawing with Brazil and hammering Cameroon (The officials chalking two goals off).

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Working tonight so can't search. Does anyone know why Hummel is absent?

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Flu

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Ta, wondered if his thigh problem had returned.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Poorest game of the tournament? Hard to pick the finalist from this half now.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

forestfan wrote:Poorest game of the tournament? Hard to pick the finalist from this half now.
Yes, but I'll have a go, Holland.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

So who do folks fancy? After watching both games on ESPN3's tactical cam I foresee and low scoring affair, but ultimately expect Germany to win. I just don't see the counter threat from Argentina with Di Maria hurt.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

I think Germany will win relatively comfortably by two or more goals. Argentina will provide a far sterner test than Brazil but that's not saying much.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”