To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

World Cup in Qatar

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: World Cup in Qatar

Post by murf »

mikeg13 wrote:
Once its moved, it will set a precedent, at mo it costs the big hitters in European game fair amount as they cant do there commercial games, that each season bring in more and more, a winter break is already in place in most of the relevant leagues and that would suit the Barcas, Reals Bayarn etc clubs very nicely thank you. Would think that most of the TV companies could live with it as well.
Dont think FIFA understand what they stand to lose by going down this route, its giving the power of there flagship comp and major money spinner to UEFA (or at least a few of the clubs in Europe)
Not a 2 month winter break though! That pushes the league further into the summer which becomes stupid in Spain and other Mediterranean countries (though would probably be OK here - works fine in RL).

The Brits won't want a year end comp (xmas fixtures) and the Jan-Feb idea is, I think, when the Winter Olympics are on and the Gridiron rubbish gets near its conclusion to annoy the US TV folks.

PS What has it got to do with UEFA to have this vote today?? It is a FIFA competition....

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

The Plot thickens :wink:

FIFA president, Joseph Blatter, has admitted that there was political pressure from European governments – which expected to gain economic benefits from the decision – to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

"There was direct political pressure. There were European heads of government who recommended that their fellow countrymen with the right to vote should do so for Qatar, because they have strong economic interests in the country," Blatter said in a statement to German weekly 'Die Zeit'.

Blatter's words are a swipe at UEFA president, Michel Platini, who may run against Blatter for the FIFA presidency in 2015.

Platini publicly admitted at the time that he had voted for Qatar and that a few days prior to the decision he had been invited to dinner by the then French president Nicolas Sarkozy. Guests at that dinner also included the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamd al Thani.

from Marca

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

UEFA have a massive influence on decisions related to the master calendar, so it's crucial. I think it'll happen in January 2023, to avoid a clash with the Winter Games, and to allow for a full qualifying competition.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Do expect Platini to win next FIFA vote and then one of the big hitter clubs to get there man to lead UEFA (pos Gill or one of the German guys Hoeness or Beckenbower (sp))
Football is big business sadly getting less and less a sport and the clubs want there share of the money international comps generate, at mo it often goes into corrupt FA's around the world, getting there people into key positions is first step in my view and this gives them an ideal excuse to move on FIFA.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

Just had a pop up in the BBC News app saying the moving of the World Cup has been approved. Is that accurate? I didn't even think they were currently considering it. Let alone deciding.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Defending Qatar this month – European Club Association head Karl Heinz-Rummenigge: "After visiting Qatar for our last general assembly we had a good feeling about a World Cup there."

• Also last week: German tax authorities fine Rummenigge a reported €250,000 for failing to declare two Rolexes received as gifts during the trip.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Would just take the big clubs to say eff off and Blatter and co. to say they will play the World Cup without their players, or make the players choose, and we will perhaps have an irreparable breakaway and the international game reduced to a semi-pro sideshow.

I'd like to see the club competitions continue without their World Cup bound players for a couple of months, as they do in cricket and rugby... commercial reality will make that a non-starter though! Best solution for English football other than moving the venue is probably to scrap the League Cup for a season and have a midweek FA Cup with no replays. Not ideal but would free up plenty of space.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

forestfan wrote:Would just take the big clubs to say eff off and Blatter and co. to say they will play the World Cup without their players, or make the players choose, and we will perhaps have an irreparable breakaway and the international game reduced to a semi-pro sideshow.

I'd like to see the club competitions continue without their World Cup bound players for a couple of months, as they do in cricket and rugby... commercial reality will make that a non-starter though! Best solution for English football other than moving the venue is probably to scrap the League Cup for a season and have a midweek FA Cup with no replays. Not ideal but would free up plenty of space.

The risk is that it doesn't go back to normal the following season.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Replays are an anachronism anyway, in any level of football... with all the fixture congestion I don't see any reason not to decide knockout matches on the day. I know smaller clubs can benefit from gate receipts in getting a big team back to their place but such occasions are fairly rare and how often does the lower league club really gain a long term benefit? I'm sure there's been occasions where pundits have said "this will set them up for years financially" and then the club is in administration a couple of seasons later.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Simple thing would be to play the League Cup during the break.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote:Would just take the big clubs to say eff off and Blatter and co. to say they will play the World Cup without their players, or make the players choose, and we will perhaps have an irreparable breakaway and the international game reduced to a semi-pro sideshow.
I think that those Clubs that want a Euro\World League will be getting ready for the negotiations :idea:
forestfan wrote: I'd like to see the club competitions continue without their World Cup bound players for a couple of months, as they do in cricket and rugby... commercial reality will make that a non-starter though! Best solution for English football other than moving the venue is probably to scrap the League Cup for a season and have a midweek FA Cup with no replays. Not ideal but would free up plenty of space.
The other sports should be moving the other way? What incentive is there for Counties to develop players who rarely play for them when they get good?

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

murf wrote:Simple thing would be to play the League Cup during the break.
I read this elsewhere this week and Makes sense. Long term I'm beginning to come round to the idea of a winter championship to make it a realistic target for those countries that cannot hold a summer one because of climate.

Good decision to decide after Brazil next year otherwise it will overshadow the build-up to the event which is hardly fair.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote:
forestfan wrote: I'd like to see the club competitions continue without their World Cup bound players for a couple of months, as they do in cricket and rugby... commercial reality will make that a non-starter though! Best solution for English football other than moving the venue is probably to scrap the League Cup for a season and have a midweek FA Cup with no replays. Not ideal but would free up plenty of space.
The other sports should be moving the other way? What incentive is there for Counties to develop players who rarely play for them when they get good?
Well, the incentives are financial, as with cricket (other than in India nowadays) the crowds and TV money all come from the international game and that subsidises the domestic game. Counties will receive money for producing England players. As an example, Notts tend to pick off the best of Leicestershire's talent in the knowledge that if they get to be Test regulars they will barely see them.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Zimmerman wrote:Defending Qatar this month – European Club Association head Karl Heinz-Rummenigge: "After visiting Qatar for our last general assembly we had a good feeling about a World Cup there."

• Also last week: German tax authorities fine Rummenigge a reported €250,000 for failing to declare two Rolexes received as gifts during the trip.
I know this is what makes the world go round but surely when it's this blatant about something so obviously dubious it's too much. :?

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

One of the designs for stadiums in Qatar for 2022 is said to be looking like vagina :D - http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/socce ... -1.1522772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just more and more nonsense going on about this World Cup in Qatar.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Not the first thing to look like a t*** in this whole process...

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25653594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Confirmed, this will not be a summer tournament, either November or December 2022.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Well, shit.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

So I guess the club season will begin at the start of July and end early June. I bet it'll be the last time they do this.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Sorry, but I still see this as a move to split seasons.....

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

And a scheduled ACN in January 2023.
It will make a nightmare of the fantasy football comps.
Last edited by foxinthebox2001 on 08 Jan 2014, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Can't wait for the countries that lost in the bidding to sue FIFA's backside off.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

So we get a winter world cup that I've always felt would benefit England but they end up doing it somewhere where the winter benefits will be negated. :?

Also Christmas and New Year just wont be the same. :(

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Clearly a ploy by FIFA to bury the bad news under the Hitzlsperger story.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

blahblah wrote:Sorry, but I still see this as a move to split seasons.....
I just think it's an awful mess created by people who have a blind vested interest. There is no grand plan.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The next step will be the break for the ANC..

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:The next step will be the break for the ANC..
It's only a month after the Qatar WC. That is going to be some break.....

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

They'll have to cancel the ANC, or move it back a year to 2016, the clubs would have a fit if they effectively lost their African players (there may well be more of them by then) for the best part of 3 months. Also, how will this effect qualifying? Sticking by the current timetable, qualifying would be completed a whole 12 months before the finals.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Tacalabala wrote: qualifying would be completed a whole 12 months before the finals.
...and already started for Euro 24!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I mean on a permanent basis.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”