To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

World Cup in Qatar

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: World Cup in Qatar

Post by Surprised »

Tacalabala wrote:I'm still struggling to understand exactly why all the games can't be played at night, which I'm led to believe is far easier to deal with? Also, people are acting as though nobody in Qatar does anything during the day, it's ridiculous.

Their football season has just started and Sept temps are only a degree or 2 below summer temps

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

Tacalabala wrote:I'm still struggling to understand exactly why all the games can't be played at night, which I'm led to believe is far easier to deal with? Also, people are acting as though nobody in Qatar does anything during the day, it's ridiculous.
Because TV companies wouldn't like it and they can upset teams and players all they like but there's no way they'll upset TV.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Surprised wrote:Without wanting to tag FIFA as useless shits, didn't they know it was hot in Qatar before the awarded the World Cup? It can't be as though they have just realised.
They we too busy looking at the size of the backhanders they were getting

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Mystery wrote:
Because TV companies wouldn't like it and they can upset teams and players all they like but there's no way they'll upset TV.
But surely the European broadcasters would prefer all the games to be at night in Qatar, remembering that Qatar is an hour ahead of Europe? I've had a look, and the sun sets in Doha before 18:30 through June. Why aren't KO times of 18:30, 20:45 and 23:15 in Qatar viable?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:FIFA can only be accused of allowing the bid, surely.
I wonder if FIFA will be sneaky and sue Qatar for saying/lying it would be OK to play in summer and now they have proved it isn't.....

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

The clause in the bid says it will be played in June/July "in principle"

Blatter has been keen to head off any idea of legal action by highlighting this

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

@murf: Genius :shock: :lol: :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Groomyd wrote:The clause in the bid says it will be played in June/July "in principle"

Blatter has been keen to head off any idea of legal action by highlighting this
It doesn't apparently....

Just some on the spot bullshitting by Blatter. The tender docs were supposedly quite specific re dates.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Are they OK with the year?

I thought the main selling point of the bid, was shipping most of the stadia to Africa, but I believe that has been dropped.

Regarding the heat etc, I believe they were going to be closed roof and air conditioned, I assume that has been shelved with the winter idea?

Maybe they should bid for the Winter Olympics :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Funny you should mention the Winter Olympics. Guess which year they are in....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Dunno, but I know the Russians have stock-piled the snow for it :lol:

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

murf wrote:
I wonder if FIFA will be sneaky and sue Qatar for saying/lying it would be OK to play in summer and now they have proved it isn't.....
[/humour] Based on the links you posted in the OP there's no scope for them to do that as the heat was always factored in, hence why the Qataris are (pretending to be) annoyed at the idea of moving it.

Alternatively this is a very clever ploy by FIFA - take backhanders for awarding the games to Qatar and then sue them for lying about the heat for a little more cash.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Not sure if this is old "news" but it looks like FIFA telling Qatar to move it, and Qatar resisting...

I still think this is the step towards a global season, with summer and winter breaks; and a world club league to bring the US and Far East tv revenue into the "club" game with a US style franchise format for the clubs.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

DrBunker wrote:
murf wrote:
[/humour] Based on the links you posted in the OP there's no scope for them to do that as the heat was always factored in, hence why the Qataris are (pretending to be) annoyed at the idea of moving it.

Alternatively this is a very clever ploy by FIFA - take backhanders for awarding the games to Qatar and then sue them for lying about the heat for a little more cash.

Although a quick google search by FIFA would have told them how hot it can get in Quatar.
If it is moved then would FIFA delegates have to repay the huge bribes they got?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It will be in Qatar, but it will be moved to January\February - imho.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Surprised wrote:Although a quick google search by FIFA would have told them how hot it can get in Quatar.
If it is moved then would FIFA delegates have to repay the huge bribes they got?
They knew that, that's the point. Hence why their bid included air conditioned facilities.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:It will be in Qatar, but it will be moved to January\February - imho.
Clashing with the Winter Olympics and the gridiron season... not to mention CL and European leagues... or opening them up to legal challenges from the losing bidders as the tender docs said it had to be in the summer

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

CL and EL will also be on a break and FIFA are too arrogant to consider the Ironing relevant, which is nearing the end in Jan? The IOC can put the Winter Olympics back in sync with the Summer one? Besides, this clash isn't a problem for the Euros.....

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

DrBunker wrote:
Surprised wrote:Although a quick google search by FIFA would have told them how hot it can get in Quatar.
They knew that, that's the point. Hence why their bid included air conditioned facilities.
I'm getting more hard line on this by the week - it was Qatar that said they could host this is the summer, it was Qatar that said they could build air con stadium. They should be made to do exactly what they said they would do. If they can't deliver on their big promises, surely FIFA would have the legal right to take away the tournament from them.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Indeed, but FIFA are now saying that it will be too hot (50C) for the "fans": I have forgotten what happened about alcohol, but Qatar is dry? Or was that just a myth?

Sowenna
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14

Post by Sowenna »

Tacalabala wrote:
DrBunker wrote:
I'm getting more hard line on this by the week - it was Qatar that said they could host this is the summer, it was Qatar that said they could build air con stadium. They should be made to do exactly what they said they would do. If they can't deliver on their big promises, surely FIFA would have the legal right to take away the tournament from them.
I agree perhaps that was why they awarded the bid so early, so if there was a problem it could be given to someone else, and this winter issue as reared its ugly head because the Qataris believed they can get/bribe people on side and thus save them a fortune in building new stadiums

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:Indeed, but FIFA are now saying that it will be too hot (50C) for the "fans": I have forgotten what happened about alcohol, but Qatar is dry? Or was that just a myth?
Alcohol is available apparently (although I don't think they exactly have a pub on every corner) - I saw the Qatari ambassador bloke being interviewed at the weekend as part of their "everything will be fine" charm offensive. They are not the ones looking to move it (or so they say on the surface...)

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

murf wrote:opening them up to legal challenges from the losing bidders as the tender docs said it had to be in the summer
I think this is the only bit they're exposed to. Moving the tournament would surely make any previous tender agreement null and void and therefore require a secondary period of bribes, hotel stays and backhanders*.

*my opinion and not that of FISO or its owners/operators :roll:
Tacalabala wrote:
DrBunker wrote:
I'm pretty hard line too as previously mentioned but I don't know what was said about the fans during the original tender process. FIFA seem to have alighted on this medical issue as a nice way of bypassing the criticism about the timing. The playing/training conditions were clearly discussed at the time and I've heard nothing to suggest that this would be an issue.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

murf wrote:
blahblah wrote:Indeed, but FIFA are now saying that it will be too hot (50C) for the "fans": I have forgotten what happened about alcohol, but Qatar is dry? Or was that just a myth?
Alcohol is available apparently (although I don't think they exactly have a pub on every corner) - I saw the Qatari ambassador bloke being interviewed at the weekend as part of their "everything will be fine" charm offensive. They are not the ones looking to move it (or so they say on the surface...)
Alcohol is fine so everything will be ok. Unless you're gay* or an immigrant helping to build the facilities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar#Law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... egislation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*lesbians are fine apparently though.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

DrBunker wrote:
murf wrote:opening them up to legal challenges from the losing bidders as the tender docs said it had to be in the summer
I think this is the only bit they're exposed to.
And so it begins...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Me and Spiny, like Liverpool, are top of the top flight.

Who'd have predicted that for 3 points??

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

DrBunker wrote:
I think this is the only bit they're exposed to. Moving the tournament would surely make any previous tender agreement null and void and therefore require a secondary period of bribes, hotel stays and backhanders*.

*my opinion and not that of FISO or its owners/operators :roll:
Tacalabala wrote:
DrBunker wrote:
I'm pretty hard line too as previously mentioned but I don't know what was said about the fans during the original tender process. FIFA seem to have alighted on this medical issue as a nice way of bypassing the criticism about the timing. The playing/training conditions were clearly discussed at the time and I've heard nothing to suggest that this would be an issue.
The problem being, of course, is that it is utter crock. I very much doubt residents of Qatar hide in the freezers during the day. I'm not saying it won't be hot for you're average European and North American, but they need not insult our intelligence. If the cost of the air con technology is the real issue, why don't they just come out with it?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Once its moved, it will set a precedent, at mo it costs the big hitters in European game fair amount as they cant do there commercial games, that each season bring in more and more, a winter break is already in place in most of the relevant leagues and that would suit the Barcas, Reals Bayarn etc clubs very nicely thank you. Would think that most of the TV companies could live with it as well.
Dont think FIFA understand what they stand to lose by going down this route, its giving the power of there flagship comp and major money spinner to UEFA (or at least a few of the clubs in Europe)

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Unleash the legal challenges!!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”