To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

World Cup in Qatar

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

World Cup in Qatar

Post by murf »

Interesting series of articles on the issues surrounding the World Cup in Qatar, summer or winter...

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3 to come.

genevapics
Treebeard

Re: World Cup in Qatar

Post by genevapics »

Thanks for the links. Blatter is an arrogant ass whose time has come to step down. He knew damn well that Qatar hosting the WC in the summer was not feasible! Now he wants to move it to the winter? FIFA is a mess and needs fresh, young thinkers. The problem is Blatter (and others) have lined their pockets with cash and don't give a damn about the sanctity of the game.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

You seem to be underestimating him. There have been plans to have a winter break to allow the ANC etc to not interfere with European Leagues and as part of a move to a global season. This merely forces the issue by making Leagues have the break for Qatar and for it to stay in place.

Roll on the World Super League and mega bucks for the privileged few...

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

I've not read the articles thoroughly but wouldve thought that the votes that Qatar won during the ballet were for its proposal of a World Cup in June/July, meaning should a proposal be made to move it to the winter months then voting should be carried out again to reflect this.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

gazwood wrote:I've not read the articles thoroughly but wouldve thought that the votes that Qatar won during the ballet were for its proposal of a World Cup in June/July, meaning should a proposal be made to move it to the winter months then voting should be carried out again to reflect this.
Yep. I find myself overwhelmingly irate about this. I never understand why, when I hear Blatter talk so nonchalantly about the fact it has to be moved, there isn't more open criticism.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

DrBunker wrote:
gazwood wrote:I've not read the articles thoroughly but wouldve thought that the votes that Qatar won during the ballet were for its proposal of a World Cup in June/July, meaning should a proposal be made to move it to the winter months then voting should be carried out again to reflect this.
Yep. I find myself overwhelmingly irate about this. I never understand why, when I hear Blatter talk so nonchalantly about the fact it has to be moved, there isn't more open criticism.
Think for the moment UEFA are keeping quiet about it, slowly a few of the big hitters (Bayern, Real, United etc) are moving there people into UEFA, cant make up me mind if its a good thing or not.
Expect them to wait till decision is made by FIFA, will depend very much what part of winter it is, most European leagues have a break, that may be accepted, but if its in season and Germany Spain England say no then it will get interesting.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Germany already has a break?

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

blahblah wrote:Germany already has a break?
As do most European leagues, if its proposed in that segment it might just be accepted interesting though is if its proposed out side of that, it then not only interferes with league games, but Champ league and thats UEFA's golden egg as well as poss effecting games relating to European championship participation.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It won't be, imho.

A nice break in winter for Qatar, and South American countries, and a summer one of Europe etc. (Meaning July and January will be clear for International Tournies.) Football or soccer is going global, and Europe isn't that relevant any more.

Has anyone wondered what has happened in Brazil and Argentinia when WC's happen? Or is football a summer sport there?

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

blahblah wrote:It won't be, imho.

A nice break in winter for Qatar, and South American countries, and a summer one of Europe etc. (Meaning July and January will be clear for International Tournies.) Football or soccer is going global, and Europe isn't that relevant any more.

Has anyone wondered what has happened in Brazil and Argentinia when WC's happen? Or is football a summer sport there?
Brazil rare for them to play there first team in S. America other than in there version of European,they play fair few of there friendlies in Europe. Europe in football calls the tune and that will be get even more.
Brazilian and Argentinean league football set up very different to European model below from wicky pretty good explanation

"Around 450 registered football clubs play in the Argentine Football Association (AFA) league system, which is organized into a pyramid of eight leagues, divided at the third tier between the Greater Buenos Aires conurbation and the rest of the country (Interior). Below the fifth level there are a further 250 regional leagues which are affiliated with AFA and compete for the right to enter the league system at the lowest tier."

The Primera División uses the Apertura and Clausura format, which is the standard in Latin American football, consisting of two championships or tournaments per season (seasons are one-year long): Apertura is the name of the championship or tournament that opens the season, Clausura is the championship or tournament that closes it, and relegations and promotions from the lower tiers are defined at (or just after) the ending of each Clausura. In the particular case of Argentina, the Apertura is contested in the second half of the calendar year, and the Clausura is played in the first half of the following year (in order to synchronize the seasons with those of the European football).

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

If people had actually read the links....

Blatter doesn't say it has to be in winter. He has carefully just said it can't be in Qatar in summer. A subtle but big difference. It is Platini who is keen on winter.

The tender process was clear that it had to be in summer. A winter WC could open up big lawsuits from countries who lost. ...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote:A winter WC could open up big lawsuits from countries who lost. ...
Like who? And you think they could\would not be bought out?

Dyke has(in)advertently opened the gates(\dyke ho ho) for a January Qatar WC, imho.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

blahblah wrote:
murf wrote:A winter WC could open up big lawsuits from countries who lost. ...
Like who? And you think they could\would not be bought out?

Dyke has(in)advertently opened the gates(\dyke ho ho) for a January Qatar WC, imho.
Perhaps Dyke sees a winter WC as favouring English players, given that the players be at an ideal stage of the season.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Our piss heads won't be able to move in the "summer" temps :lol:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Does Platinis son have links to the Qarari king or something (PSG link as well)?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

They'll just haggle until its too late to move it: still wrankles me that the national stadium got placed at Wembley "oooo we'll use the towers".... "Actually, can't do that, but we've spent x amount now, so %^*+ it".

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 12th TFFE 09/10

Post by rossn13 »

Zimmerman wrote:Does Platinis son have links to the Qarari king or something (PSG link as well)?
He works as a lawyer for QIA, which is an investment fund for the Qatar government/royal family. Oh, and they own PSG. All a little dodgy if you ask me.

Charade
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Charade »

Real question is what can possibly be done about it? If this was a public entity I have a feeling it would have been absolutely wrecked by probes. A boycott would be a mess logistically and would probably ruin WCs for years.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Hasn't any body thought that having World Cups in winter might benefit England in the long run. They may have more chance of winning it. It's always been too hot, when the excuses start rolling out.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Nope, England are too shite to win a WC :roll: :lol:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I have a feeling this is a backhand attack by UEFA on the Premier League. Playing the League games through the winter has always benefited the English League. With my personal experience of being abroad in the winter, all the football crazy fans have a tradition of following the Premiership when their own leagues go in to hibernation. It's their tradition as much as ours. Just in my village we have Chelsea Arsenal West Ham Spurs Liverpool, the Manchesters, Newcastle and Portsmouth fans. SAY NO to the winter break.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

jimmy ching wrote:I have a feeling this is a backhand attack by UEFA on the Premier League. Playing the League games through the winter has always benefited the English League. With my personal experience of being abroad in the winter, all the football crazy fans have a tradition of following the Premiership when their own leagues go in to hibernation. It's their tradition as much as ours. Just in my village we have Chelsea Arsenal West Ham Spurs Liverpool, the Manchesters, Newcastle and Portsmouth fans. SAY NO to the winter break.
If you change UEFA to Plattini you may have a point :wink: It has put him in a very difficult position though, as it seems Blatter is trying to distance himself from it and it seems one of the major backers of the winning bid was Plattini, he has to be very careful how he deals with this problem it could cost him his job and Dyke did not make it easy for him to make us the scapegoat in his reaction to a winter World Cup as in reality probably easier for Prem to rearrange its self than most other countries main leagues. The author of those articles is correct this could have huge impact on who runs world game and that has in my view got Blatter running scared.

bigsheff
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bigsheff »

jimmy ching wrote:SAY NO to the winter break.
Nothing wrong with the winter break idea, as long as it's not over the festive holiday period. Half the country would be walking around lost with no football.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Ah, but there would not really be a break :lol:

There would be WC's in the southern hemisphere etc...

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Any truth in the rumour that Qatar are just going to buy Spain and hold the World Cup there...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

...and now FIFA's medical chief says it has to be moved to winter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24114961" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there were recent reports that the US TV folks (who have paid a fortune) are very much against a winter move as it will clash with their own gridiron nonsense.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

It clashes with my hibernation. I'm going to have to gradually adapt by moving to Australia.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Without wanting to tag FIFA as useless shits, didn't they know it was hot in Qatar before the awarded the World Cup? It can't be as though they have just realised.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

FIFA can only be accused of allowing the bid, surely.

Pinnocchio why so many countries\associations voted for it. Maybe the answer lies somewhere here?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I'm still struggling to understand exactly why all the games can't be played at night, which I'm led to believe is far easier to deal with? Also, people are acting as though nobody in Qatar does anything during the day, it's ridiculous.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”