To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

And the Euro 2020 host is...

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

And the Euro 2020 host is...

Post by forestfan »

Nobody! Or perhaps we should say everyone!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20631963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, let's make everyone spend a month long tournament flying from London to Moscow to Madrid to Istanbul etc... makes perfect sense! If Platini hadn't decided to expand it so that every country whose population doesn't fit inside Wembley Stadium qualifies, there might have actually been some credible bidders...

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 12th TFFE 09/10

Re: And the Euro 2020 host is...

Post by rossn13 »

I wonder how many brown envelopes this decision took :roll:

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

So 32 members of UEFA have stated their interest.
http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/orga ... +2020+bids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I understand they are planning to hold it in 13 cities (!!), hopefully those won't be 13 different countries, but still, I really don't like that they are going through with this plan, because:

1) 27 out of 32 countries presented just one city, Spain - 4 cities, and the rest - 2 cities. So the best option here (in my opinion) would be Spain+ 4 countries with 2 cities presented, and one country with 1. Still, those are 6 countries - and they qualify automatically then, don't they? If they do, 6 is too much in my opinion, I get it if you qualify for hosting the whole tournament, or half of it, but for one group phase.. Also - if they don't qualify, if that would be my country I wouldn't be that happy then too. SO why complicate things?
Plus - 6 countries is the least there, what if they take more countries??
2) My second flaw with it is about the case where there would be >6 countries. If I recall correctly, in that tournament there will be 24 teams. So for example, if there would be 8 countries hosting - few groups would need to travel between two countries right? (I guess immediately both countries which host also would be in the same group, so each playing home - except, what about the match between them?) It just seems too much. Hopefully they are at least neighbouring countries, but still..
3) Before it was said that such events really boost the economy of the country which is hosting it etc. Now I dont see it like that, as much, really. Also, for example, let's take France, if they host just the group phase, they win it and then go through to playoffs, but playoffs are in Russia - would their fans be that happy about having to travel that far etc?
4) I dont know about this one - but will the country or countries which host the playoff phase, will host group phase also (I mean one group or whatever)? If not, then, for example, if that same France(just an example) would be meant to host just playoff phase and wouldnt qualify for them?!

I havent been reading too much into this, so maybe Im wrong about some of that, but still.. What do other people in FISO community think - is it better than before??

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I thought the cities would all be in different countries.

I think the countries have until April to finalise their city choice. Why does England have to be ****ing London?

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight

Post by Ralfbergs »

murf wrote:I thought the cities would all be in different countries.

I think the countries have until April to finalise their city choice. Why does England have to be ****ing London?
If all in different countries, then it would mean 13 different ones. Then also I can go back to my 4th point in the previous comment - that how they will pick who hosts playoff phase?
Also and more importantly - 13 different countries? That's more than half of countries playing there (if it will be 24 there) - so what, they will pick 13 lucky ones and others will be fighting for even less spots than before (14-15 before, when there were 16 teams, 11 now). Also then, the travelling factor comes even more into play - also too many countries will gain home advantage(ok maybe that's not the biggest factor there, but still). Also if someone is a supporter of a team which doesnt host , but qualifies - and he has to travel between two countries and also if his team gets into playoffs, maybe even to 3 - that instantly makes it more expensive, because before, mostly, people had to travel between cities not countries (except for playoff phase), and Im guessing that cities werent allocated too far away.

I could go on, but the question is - how much football in Europe gains from all that? Yeah ok, some smaller countries would get in there etc. But I see only small number of good things about it and a lot of questionable, bad things there. I just really would like to hear from someone who wants this to happen, besides some money hungry officials there in UEFA. Or maybe it's just me and other people do like this change>?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I think this is the blue print for the future, however they work it re hosts eg only 8 groups so only 8 hosts, but some daft number of cities holding games?

There are also some weird applications, well OK not necessarily weird after the Qatar debacle: Cardiff have applied even though their airport isn't good enough; and Glasgow despite not having enough Corporate suite things.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

As I understand it, each country can only have one city, though I should imagine they'll aim to organise it in regional clusters.

The big arguments were that countries can't afford to build the new stadiums and infrastructure needed at the moment, which is fair enough, and that Platini particularly wanted countries that won't normally be able to host a Euros being able to host games, which bodes well for Dublin and Cardiff.

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight

Post by Ralfbergs »

Tacalabala wrote:As I understand it, each country can only have one city, though I should imagine they'll aim to organise it in regional clusters.

The big arguments were that countries can't afford to build the new stadiums and infrastructure needed at the moment, which is fair enough, and that Platini particularly wanted countries that won't normally be able to host a Euros being able to host games, which bodes well for Dublin and Cardiff.
Ok I get it that the countries who can now hope to host it, wouldn't be able to before - but does the tournament really gain more from that than it loses? I'm not saying that there are only bad side about this, but I see more bad than good there. Also, I still think 13 different countries is too much - ok, do it the way they propose, but take one country per group.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

The basic idea is growing on me but I agree that:
Ralfbergs wrote:Also, I still think 13 different countries is too much - ok, do it the way they propose, but take one country per group.
Maybe they should name 13 countries and only include them if they actually qualify (i.e. have 8 first choice picks and a list of reserves). Couple of drawbacks are that the draw will be less fair if host countries are kept apart and lesser countries will be less likely to qualify/host - but why should they if they aren't good enough to be in the comp????

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Because London gets you the votes from Europe

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Judio wrote:

Because London gets you the votes from Europe
Not to mention that it's the biggest city in Europe IIRC.

France better not get any games, now that would be unfair.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Have Gibraltar applied? :idea:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Just to flesh out what I was saying earlier, this might be how it works out:

Group A: Dublin & Cardiff
Group B: London & Amsterdam
Group C: Helsinki & Solna
Group D: Bucharest & Budapest
Group E: Barcelona & Porto
Group F: Munich & Milan

Round of 16: Dublin, Cardiff, Amsterdam, Helsinki, Solna, Bucharest, Porto, Milan

Quarter Finals: London, Budapest, Barcelona, Munich

Final and Semi Finals: Istanbul

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

If we talking about ease of all fans to get to, then it should not Wembley, for England it should be somewhere in the middle of country, Villa Park or failing that Old Trafford.

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight

Post by Ralfbergs »

Tacalabala wrote:Just to flesh out what I was saying earlier, this might be how it works out:

Group A: Dublin & Cardiff
Group B: London & Amsterdam
Group C: Helsinki & Solna
Group D: Bucharest & Budapest
Group E: Barcelona & Porto
Group F: Munich & Milan

Round of 16: Dublin, Cardiff, Amsterdam, Helsinki, Solna, Bucharest, Porto, Milan

Quarter Finals: London, Budapest, Barcelona, Munich

Final and Semi Finals: Istanbul
So Turkey qualifies for the tournament automatically but the Turkish fans only get to see their team playing at home if they get to semis??

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Seems a tad harsh on Gibraltar, Liechenstein, Luxemburg and the Faroe's?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Nobody is qualifying automatically.

The "Tournament Requirements" document explains all this: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Dow ... WNLOAD.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Because under the terms of the agreement when it was built, Wembley is guaranteed every major match in this country for the next 2563748 years...

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight

Post by Ralfbergs »

Tacalabala wrote:Nobody is qualifying automatically.

The "Tournament Requirements" document explains all this: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Dow ... WNLOAD.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So, for example, if , country A, decides to host it, but their team (let's say one of the bigger/stronger ones, not the ones where it wouldn't be a big surprise) doesn't qualify - for me, if I would be the supporter of that particular country, I wouldnt be happy that we can't even participate when the tournament is happenning in my country.
Anyway, will have to wait when it gets closer to see how it will pan out. Especially after they choose those cities/countries.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The way England are then it is quite possible that they do not qualify, or if they do they might not be top seeds - so would the draw be rigged to have their group games at Wembley?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

If England can't qualify as one of 32 European countries then they should disband other than an annual friendly with Gibraltar.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

24 are qualifying now, 32 is the WC. Still nearly half of all the teams in Europe.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Tacalabala wrote:24 are qualifying now, 32 is the WC. Still nearly half of all the teams in Europe.
Thought the Euros was going up to 32? I'll happily admit to being wrong.....

24 is still comfortably more European teams than get in the World Cup so is the easiest qualification to date.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote:
Tacalabala wrote:24 are qualifying now, 32 is the WC. Still nearly half of all the teams in Europe.
Thought the Euros was going up to 32? I'll happily admit to being wrong.....

24 is still comfortably more European teams than get in the World Cup so is the easiest qualification to date.
Yeah, it is 24 teams... if you take out the micro-states and other perennial minnows then there's maybe 40 with a realistic chance. Equivalently, finishing third in your group will just about get you in depending on format, and England have surely never failed to do that - even Scotland, Wales and NI might have a chance!

Of course, it may be that the big clubs have broken away from FIFA/UEFA by then over Qatar 2022, and international football becomes a semi-professional or youth competition...

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

UEFA have confirmed the bids for the 13 slots available, including two bids for the "Final" package from London and Munich.

Standard and Finals:
London - Wembley Stadium - 90,000
Munich - Allianz Arena - 67,812

Standard only:
Cardiff - Millennium Stadium - 74,500
Rome - Stadio Olimpico - 72,698
Saint Petersburg - New Zenit Stadium (under construction for WC2018) - 69,500
Baku - Olympic Stadium (under construction) - 68,000
Budapest - Puskas Ferenc (proposed reconstruction) - 65,000
Brussels - New National Stadium (proposed) - 60,000
Amsterdam - Amsterdam Arena (expansion) - 56,000
Bucharest - National Arena - 55,600
Bilbao - San Mames - 53,332
Glasgow - Hampden Park - 52,063
Dublin - Aviva Stadium - 51,700
Jerusalem - Teddy Stadium (expansion) - 50,000
Stockholm - Friends Arena - 50,000
Sofia - Levski National - 43,230
Copenhagen - Parken Stadion - 38,065
Skopje - National - 33,460
Minsk - Traktar Stadium (renovation) - 33,000

Can't help but suspect that Bilbao, and thus Spain, won't get games now that Portugal have decided not to put a bid forward. Turkey have decided to pull out as they want to host Euro 2024 on their own, so I wonder whether we'll see Spain v Turkey in the bidding for that?

My own choice, very much based on ease of travel for everyone in Europe, would be as follows:

Finals (1):
London

Standard (12):
Munich & Rome
Dublin & Cardiff
Copenhagen & Stockholm
Bucharest & Budapest
Brussels & Amsterdam
Sofia & Skopje

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Should just wait and see who qualifies then kick out the failures (and the dodgy non-European one....)

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

murf wrote:Should just wait and see who qualifies then kick out the failures (and the dodgy non-European one....)
Once you read the bid requirements, you'll understand why they have to do this so far in advance. I might have misinterpreted, but I'm sure that one of the requirements is that a suitable mini-stadium must be nearby, and that there is a overlay that every city will need to adopt, in effect being a shit load of concessions and sponsors' guff as well as a media centre.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

WEMBLEY TO HOST FINAL AND SEMI FINALS

Glasgow and Dublin also get a yes vote for group stage and R16 games, Cardiff miss out. Rome, Munich, Saint Petersburg and Baku awarded one quarter final each.
Last edited by Tacalabala on 19 Sep 2014, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Tacalabala wrote:WEMBLEY TO HOST FINAL AND SEMI FINAL

Glasgow and Dublin also get a yes vote for group stage and R16 games, Cardiff miss out. Rome, Munich, Saint Petersburg and Baku awarded one quarter final each.
Wembley gets both semis I think but no earlier/group games by my maths (12 cities have 3 group games. 8 then get a last 16 and 4 get a QF). Assume there are 6 groups, 24 teams.

The quarter-finals and three group matches will be held in Munich (Germany), Baku (Azerbaijan), Rome (Italy) and St Petersburg (Russia).

The other host cities that will hold three group games and a last 16 game are Copenhagen (Denmark), Bucharest (Romania), Amsterdam (Netherlands), Bilbao (Spain), Budapest (Hungary) and Brussels (Belgium) (+ Glasgno and Dublin)

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

So will the Groups be split geographically then

Amsterdam + Brussels
Glasgow + Dublin
Copenhagen + Munich
Bucharest + Budapest
Bilbao + Rome
St Petersburg and Baku

Or will they try and put Spain playing all 3 matches in Bilbao and Italy all 3 matches in Rome ??

Just seems to give a huge advantage in your group if two sides are hosts ???

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”