To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Travel Systems - Prams

A forum for matters involving finance (incl. business and money issues) and shopping (incl. consumer rights).
Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Travel Systems - Prams

Post by Ashers »

So probably the wrong forum, but let's see the opinion of FISO fathers.

Looking to purchase a travel system for my first child that will be due in August 2015 and it seems like buying a pram / pushchair is more complicated than buying a new car.

So many add-ons, different tyres, different makes, etc

So far I seem to like the Mothercare Xpedior, but have been told that pump up tyres could lead to punctures and that it best to get a car seat that attaches to the travel system.

FISO - Help!

So what would you recommend?

Javahart
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Not troubling the leaders

Re: Travel Systems - Prams

Post by Javahart »

Congrats!

The hard work starts soon :D

My kids are now 9 and 7, so I will give you my experiences.
We started with a bugaboo; not the cheapest but definitely easy to use and the car seat easily pops onto the frame. You can interchange with 'flat' cot or more of push chair look as they grow up. I would look for second hand one of these but get a new car seat, make sure it fits the pram system and is isofix - this saves sooo much hassle.
The car seat stage on the pram is not that long, maybe 5 months or so, so think more about the 6 months to 18 month stage. The bugaboo coped with all this really well.

Pm me for any advice on other stuff. Its easy to get seduced into lots of baby gear but most of it is wasted.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

The amount of time I have spent on this subject recently is ridiculous, I'll give you a full reply later when I have more time.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

If you want to play one upmanship with the other mums and Dads then you'll have to look into all the trends and you deserve all the hassle and expense. If not just get a basic buggy.

Or just get a dog.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

What's wrong with a good old-fashioned cheap pushchair?
Babies are pretty flexible and can sleep anywhere. They don't need comfort.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

Ashers my wife used to work at Mother care and is very passionate about the subject.... also having had 3 kids she's also got hands on experience. PLus we only bought one ourselves about 8 months ago for Casper.

I'll ask her to give you a run down on here a little later.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

Hiya this is Mrs RichT. Right easiest thing to do is pop to Mothercare and chat to them and you need to try them out as that will tell you a lot as to whether you like the different functions, how it goes up and down and the height of it etc..... If you are limited on boot space they will go out with you with the pushchair to make sure it fits. Different pushchairs suit different lifestyles. If you do a lot of walking around parks without pathways etc... then you are best off with a 3 wheeler which you pump the tyres up, if you are about the town couple then either will do really although something more compact is good to get around shops and crowded areas. You can suffer punctures with pump up tyres but they are easily fixed and how often are you fixing bike wheels?? it's the same thing.

Have a think on how you would like the baby to lay more often? It's best for them to be as flat as possible and to face you so that's something to consider.
I'm personally not a fan of travel systems (where the car seat fits on top) couple of reasons. You shouldn't have your baby in a car seat for more than 2 hours at a time as it's very bad for their backs, also I don't like the way the baby is cocooned into a car seat when you have the covers over them, you have this small pathetic plastic window which doesn't actually let you see baby easily or baby see you which I don't like really. At least with a pram they can always see you.

Not all car seats fit in all cars....... please don't think you have a standard family car as that's poop. I had a vectra when my older two were small and one car seat fitted safely. So get them fitted to check (Mothercare can do that). So you could fall in love with a pushchair and find out the seat that matches it doesn't fit anyway. If your car has it and you can afford it then isofix is the safest but if not the seatbelt fitted ones are absolutely fine as along as it fits ok and as long as you make sure you follow the instructions carefully.

It's not as complicated as it sounds honestly, you will go and look at them and instantly not like quite a few for various reasons so it's easy to narrow it all down. Not sure I would ever buy something purely on line without trying it so be aware of that but it's personal choice.

As long as baby is safe in the car and you're doing what's best for baby's back in a pushchair then it's up to you both and don't let people tell you what to have.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Richt wrote: Have a think on how you would like the baby to lay more often? It's best for them to be as flat as possible and to face you so that's something to consider.
I'm personally not a fan of travel systems (where the car seat fits on top) couple of reasons. You shouldn't have your baby in a car seat for more than 2 hours at a time as it's very bad for their backs, also I don't like the way the baby is cocooned into a car seat when you have the covers over them, you have this small pathetic plastic window which doesn't actually let you see baby easily or baby see you which I don't like really. At least with a pram they can always see you.
I agree with the rationale here....but if you're disciplined (and god knows with babies you should be) and ensure they don't stay in too long, this can be a very handy option i.e. pop to supermarket, baby falls asleep in car, you want to nip into the shop for 10 minutes then back to the car all without having to wake them up once or twice in the transfer stage.

Same applies with the flat pram that you can put on the chassis(!) and doubles up as a second handy cot for a nap in a different part of the house.

jpk
Dumbledore

Travel Systems - Prams

Post by jpk »

In my day it was 6 on the back seat baby in the boot in a box with the dog , cars were made of wood and policemen had moustaches

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

A bugaboo has served us well for our two - and that's it for us!

We will be looking to sell in the Summer.

It's the full thing with pram and pushchair + a few other add ons + we have a maxi cosi car seat with bugaboo adapters and a seat base to make life easier. PM me if interested.

The only downside is that 4 years later I am still barely able to assemble it whereas Mrs Knulpuk takes around 8 seconds.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

not much more to add really, good advice there already

First time round we had a mama and papas travel system that tbh, wasn't much cop. The missus (who doesn't drive) walked it into the ground as it didn't hold up too well. It was hard to turn and push on uneven surfaces, (small double wheels front and back are shite) it was killing her back and the car seat weighed a ton as well. I wouldn't touch M&P again.

So this time round we put a shed load of research into it, if you're purchase ultra risk averse as MrsVL is, get a 1 month trial membership of Which for £1 and go through their reviews and best buys, there's hundreds reviewed.

You need to judge on who will be pushing it the majority of the time and for how often, how long, where etc. We came close to a Stokke but ended up with guess what.... I was balking at the cost but after thinking about it, the bugaboo (chameleon) is the only pram that holds its value at all for resale, so looking at it as buying a £450 odd one worth nothing after 3 years or pay the extra and have it worth £450 if we keep it in decent nick. Works out costing around the same overall. I have to admit its way easier to use than anything else we tried out, which is obviously important to the slightly built other half. The 3 year warrenty covers the fabrics as well as the hardware which no one else does.

The downside is the cost and the brand is so strong you'll hardly ever find discounts. I got lucky and picked up one of 25 in the John Lewis xmas sale reduced by £200.

As far as car seats go its Maxi Cosi or nothing. Decent nick isofix bases and car seat adaptors can picked up cheap on gumtree etc. The MC website will tell you what cars each model will fit.

Bascially you can pay as much or as little as you like but you need to try as many as you can out find one that works for you.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Thanks for all your advice.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Too long ago for me to have any useful detailed advice, but just make sure you can put it up / down quickly and easily and it fits into the boot easily. No fun struggling in the rain with a crying baby tying to work out the right buttons to press to get it to fold up so you can get it in the boot.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Financial & Shopping”