To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Advice on fitted shirts

A forum for matters involving finance (incl. business and money issues) and shopping (incl. consumer rights).
DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Advice on fitted shirts

Post by DrBunker »

Bit of a specific one this, I'm trying to find somewhere to buy shirts that fit my tall, long-armed frame. The problem I've got is that whilst I can find shirts with longer arms (36") I'm really struggling as they all seem to have far too much fabric in the middle. I used to buy John Francomb shirts but they've really reduced the quality of the material they use and feel much cheaper now. They're also not tailored enough.

I've seen modern style shirts (e.g. Zara) but they seem suited to hipsters whilst I'm looking for a smart, double-cuff, cutaway collar, heavy thread version. At the moment the only option seems to be to buy the best fit then get it taken in. :?

Any suggestions?

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 12th TFFE 09/10

Re: Advice on fitted shirts

Post by rossn13 »

I get mine from TM Lewin whenever they have a sale on. Which just happens to be now :D
http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Slim-Fit-Shirt ... GB,sc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's loads of choice for collars, cuffs, fabric etc.

The slim-fit 36 inch sleeve shirts seem to fit well on me and the quality can't be beaten. I have long arms and legs so there's quite a lot of shirt tucked into my trousers :P

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

DrBunker wrote:Bit of a specific one this, I'm trying to find somewhere to buy shirts that fit my tall, long-armed frame. The problem I've got is that whilst I can find shirts with longer arms (36") I'm really struggling as they all seem to have far too much fabric in the middle. I used to buy John Francomb shirts but they've really reduced the quality of the material they use and feel much cheaper now. They're also not tailored enough.

I've seen modern style shirts (e.g. Zara) but they seem suited to hipsters whilst I'm looking for a smart, double-cuff, cutaway collar, heavy thread version. At the moment the only option seems to be to buy the best fit then get it taken in. :?

Any suggestions?

Try this.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... Rgc7FoOn0w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rite up your straza

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Not an extensive range but Jacamo do some long sleeved shirts.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

WilBert wrote:Not an extensive range but Jacamo do some long sleeved shirts.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

rossn13 wrote:I get mine from TM Lewin whenever they have a sale on. Which just happens to be now
Isn't it always? ;)

I have bought from there before (John Francomb is one of their brands) but the quality is not what it was. As for the other suggestions, they're about what I expected. :)

X-Man
Dumbledore

Post by X-Man »

DrBunker wrote:Bit of a specific one this, I'm trying to find somewhere to buy shirts that fit my tall, long-armed frame. The problem I've got is that whilst I can find shirts with longer arms (36") I'm really struggling as they all seem to have far too much fabric in the middle. I used to buy John Francomb shirts but they've really reduced the quality of the material they use and feel much cheaper now. They're also not tailored enough.

Any suggestions?
Surely you can get a tailor made shirt? Debenhams and M&S do tailor made shirts from £45 and there are lots of different online options. For example, http://www.itailor.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - put your own measurements in, choose style and fabric - £25....

No experience of doing this but must be worth considering.

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by rossn13 »

DrBunker wrote:
rossn13 wrote:I get mine from TM Lewin whenever they have a sale on. Which just happens to be now
Isn't it always? ;)

I have bought from there before (John Francomb is one of their brands) but the quality is not what it was. As for the other suggestions, they're about what I expected. :)
Come to think of it, whenever I need new shirts they always have a sale on :lol:

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

rossn13 wrote:Come to think of it, whenever I need new shirts they always have a sale on :lol:
They're like sofa sales. :)

Cheers X-Man, I'll take a look.

Jagduracell
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd TFF World Cup 2014, 8th in TFF Fantasy Lions and a few TFF and TFC weekly wins

Post by Jagduracell »

Might be worth trying Hawes and Curtis. I'm a short chubby bloke and Lewin shirts normally fit me OK but I found the arms quite long for my body shape at H & C when I gave their shirts a go. May be right up your alley.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Probably not good enough quality for you but Charles Tywritt (sp?) do various degrees of slim fit for those of us with fat necks and skinny waists. Think they do long arms and they always have a sale/offer on too!

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

X-Man wrote:
http://www.itailor.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - put your own measurements in, choose style and fabric - £25....

What a brilliant site!

I've had loads of fun with mrs Sted and the measuring tape.

Not as much fun as our asian friends trying to cut the material into my eclectic body shape.

I'll let you know what the shirt turns out like.

Cheers.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

X-Man wrote:Surely you can get a tailor made shirt? Debenhams and M&S do tailor made shirts from £45 and there are lots of different online options. For example, http://www.itailor.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - put your own measurements in, choose style and fabric - £25....

I'm off to look into the M&S/Debenhams options. There's a long thread on MSE about iTailor so I think I'll give them a miss. Nice site though. :)

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Perhaps try Slater menswear if one close by ?

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

murf wrote:Probably not good enough quality for you but Charles Tywritt (sp?) do various degrees of slim fit for those of us with fat necks and skinny waists. Think they do long arms and they always have a sale/offer on too!
Got a couple of CT shirts earlier in the year and can't complain.

I am about to give up on ever owning M&S work shirts again - seem to fray around the neck and collar points really easily

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

el_pappje wrote:
murf wrote:Probably not good enough quality for you but Charles Tywritt (sp?) do various degrees of slim fit for those of us with fat necks and skinny waists. Think they do long arms and they always have a sale/offer on too!
Got a couple of CT shirts earlier in the year and can't complain.
My CT shirt is a lot better quality than the Francomb one but is not as fitted (despite being their slimmest option). The only M&S shirt I've got is formal and hasn't been worn enough to prove how well it will wear.

The Debenhams option looks interesting but is quite a lot more than iTailor which is a risk without knowing how well it will fit. On the plus side they offer as many adjustments as needed for the first shirt so it could be a goer. Has anyone used this service?

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

Girl at work says her husband can't complain with Next shirts, dunno about fitting options though.

What about looking up Raja fashions and seeing if they are in your area?

Never used them but always wanted to try, heard about them years ago - Indian businessman doing bespoke suits and massively undercutting Savile Row. Go along, get measured up, choose fabric, make it in India and then send it over used to be the gig. Think they do shirts now too.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

I looked them up but there seems to be some confusion over who they are. If it's the original HK one I think I'd need to be in London the weeks/days they were in town.

I'm off to Turkey again in a couple of months and I wondered if there would be anywhere there I could consider. Might be worth a go.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

sted wrote:
X-Man wrote:
http://www.itailor.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - put your own measurements in, choose style and fabric - £25....

What a brilliant site!

I've had loads of fun with mrs Sted and the measuring tape.

Not as much fun as our asian friends trying to cut the material into my eclectic body shape.

I'll let you know what the shirt turns out like.

Cheers.
Just to keep you guys in the loop. My shirt arrived today. Okay, it took a month, but it is hand made.

It seems very well tailored and fits probably better than any shirt I've ever owned.

Closer to £40 with P+P but I will be ordering some more after I've washed it a few times and see what the shrinkage is like.

Cheers X-Man

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by rossn13 »

Picture evidence please! :P

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Shirley this one:

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

rossn13 wrote:Picture evidence please! :P
I would.

But I don't want to end up in your wanc bank :wink:

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

If you want a shirt I think TM Lewin might have a sale on at the moment. Better act fast though as they have their annual 'no sale' day coming up on June 23rd.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote:If you want a shirt I think TM Lewin might have a sale on at the moment. Better act fast though as they have their annual 'no sale' day coming up on June 23rd.
Indeed, that is close to my understanding as well.

Next used to do a proper slim fit shirt.

There is also somewhere else, which I am loathe to recommend. I needed a black shirt for a "do" and being rather svelte (and tight) didn't want to fork out a load of cash on a one-off so stumbled into Primark; and found a true\proper slim fit one for not a lot at all which fitted (ho ho) the bill perfectly.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:If you want a shirt I think TM Lewin might have a sale on at the moment. Better act fast though as they have their annual 'no sale' day coming up on June 23rd.
I passed TM Lewin's shop (nr Liverpool St - they may have others!) a day or two ago and thought of this thread as it had "4 for £100" on offer in t'window.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

They do with the same sign up in all of them (probably) all the time :lol:

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

I noticed that Charles Tyrwhitt have launched a new super slim shirt style. I'm tempted but can't get to a store to test drive one. Has anyone ordered one yet?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

DrBunker wrote:I noticed that Charles Tyrwhitt have launched a new super slim shirt style. I'm tempted but can't get to a store to test drive one. Has anyone ordered one yet?
I bought one about a year ago when they had two levels of slim (beyond normal) - not sure whether that is what you mean.

Was definitely slimmer/fitted and worked Ok for me. All depends on your frame.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-shirts? ... rtBy=Price" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Ascending)

Our friends at HUKD have found this brilliant bargain. I'm tempted, anyone used them?
Edit - found the measurements on the website http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/Sale/men's-sh ... u|||||1861,||||||||" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Credit to pikatchu12 for posting the voucher code here - http://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/10-o ... tt-1992237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Find the shirts sorted by price (£14.95 ones first for this deal) here - http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/mens-shirts?q ... y=Price%20(Ascending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)#

Apply voucher code QWYG for £10 off your order to bring it down to £9.90 delivered.

If you take a look and decide you don't like any of the £14.95 shirts and are looking more at the £19.95 shirts, you might want to consider going for two for £10 each with this Groupon deal posted by arikunto - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/charles ... rs-2008649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - although not completely clear if you'll have to pay postage(?)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Financial & Shopping”