To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How do I cook a fish pie in a microwave oven ?

A tasty forum for discussion on Food & Drinks topics
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: How do I cook a fish pie in a microwave oven ?

Post by blahblah »

Yep.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

grob wrote:
Surprised wrote:If it's a combi microwave the the convector part is just a fan oven. Just set it to 200 degrees but check after 20 mins as fan ovens cook a bit quicker.
It says on the pack 200c/Fan 180c to oven cook from chilled. So from what you've said and Vid has described below,it seems to me that the microwave+convector setting is the wrong one to use,and I should use the convector button instead,setting the temp to 180c and checking after 20 minutes.
Yep, presumably the microwave+ whatever has it's uses but I only use microwave to microwave things and only use convection to do the main oven's job.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Vid wrote:He'd still need to know how to work the oven BFM!
Guess I got a little sidetracked by the whole living alone, hurt, cant fend for himself needing to microwave some dinner bit.

Maybe a formerly fit grob could share some recipes :D for a living alone, hurt, cant fend for himself needing some dinner instead of some Vodka BFM....

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

My main living alone meals were frying up some mince, chucking either a bolgnaise or a chili sauce on it and boiling up rice or pasta to go with it, or chicken in some sauce or other or of course the best of the lot, a fry up!

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

grob wrote:
Surprised wrote:If it's a combi microwave the the convector part is just a fan oven. Just set it to 200 degrees but check after 20 mins as fan ovens cook a bit quicker.
It says on the pack 200c/Fan 180c to oven cook from chilled. So from what you've said and Vid has described below,it seems to me that the microwave+convector setting is the wrong one to use,and I should use the convector button instead,setting the temp to 180c and checking after 20 minutes.
Yes.
I've never seen the point in the microwave+convector combined cooking

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

grob wrote:
Beerfuelledman wrote:You're going to need some toast soon Graham :lol:
I'm not hungry now,as among the meals my brother brought me were 2 x spagetti meals. I groaned when I saw them,but he said perhaps I'd get to like them. I said that when asked,I say I eat everything,except chicken's eyes,Marmite and spagetti. :wink:

However,I felt I should punish myself for my incompetence in using a microwave combi,so as I was very hungry(as everyone reading this thread will be by now),I blindfolded myself and pretended I was on Celebrity Big Brother eating worms for a £100k prize,and eat one of the spagetti meals :wink:
I once ate monkey brains. Never, ever again

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Vid wrote:My main living alone meals were frying up some mince, chucking either a bolgnaise or a chili sauce on it and boiling up rice or pasta to go with it, or chicken in some sauce or other or of course the best of the lot, a fry up!
Tell me you did the mince & bolognaise with rice. Thats a single mans meal :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Beerfuelledman wrote:
Vid wrote:My main living alone meals were frying up some mince, chucking either a bolgnaise or a chili sauce on it and boiling up rice or pasta to go with it, or chicken in some sauce or other or of course the best of the lot, a fry up!
Tell me you did the mince & bolognaise with rice. Thats a single mans meal :lol:
What's wrong with home made chicken and mushroom pie or a lasagne?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

New thread?

Cooking for One.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Beerfuelledman wrote:
Much prefer pasta to rice, chicken curry (homepride sauce) with the butterfly shaped pasta is excellent!

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Surprised wrote:
Beerfuelledman wrote:
What's wrong with home made chicken and mushroom pie or a lasagne?
From my perspective - nothing. It seemed (rightly or wrongly) the thread began in a panic to get some Sainsburys fish pie heated. I guess we extrapolated from there...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Processed food is a cop out. Same basic core ingredients, and not much longer to cook, if at all.....

El Neilio 10
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Banned from telling the truth in the "Elite league - 2011 / 12" thread
FS Record: First Sun Weekly winner of the second decade of the third Millennium

Post by El Neilio 10 »

First Grob, hope the leg's mends quick and fully. Anti DVT drug? - sounds scary!

Having lived without a cooker for quite a while now, I must say I love my microwaves.

Sainsbury fish pie too sounds delicious. So, whatever you do, don't throw it. At least , have a play with it! ;)

Obviously, we can't all live like kings all of the time , so you might have to lower your hopes / standards a little. It won't kill you to do so on occasion, though, saying that, with a dodgy fish pie, who knows?

So you've got to err on the side of overcooking it. Stinking your pinkie in (as it's just for you) should tell you when it's hot enough. You want it scolding hot inside. Be ready to cool that finger!

As we all seem to agree, metallic containers are not good in microwaves. So, you're going to have to transfer it to a more suitable receptacle.

I think you could be about to reinvent the fish pie upside down cake! ;) :lol:

Good luck and get well soon.

Should you accept the mission, be sure to take some snaps of it! I'm sure we'd all like to see how it turns out! ;)

:)

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Get well and eat well soon Grob :)

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Is there a chip shop around the corner?

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

grob wrote:I'm not hungry now,as among the meals my brother brought me were 2 x spagetti meals. I groaned when I saw them,but he said perhaps I'd get to like them. I said that when asked,I say I eat everything,except chicken's eyes,Marmite and spagetti. :wink:

However,I felt I should punish myself for my incompetence in using a microwave combi,so as I was very hungry(as everyone reading this thread will be by now),I blindfolded myself and pretended I was on Celebrity Big Brother eating worms for a £100k prize,and eat one of the spagetti meals :wink:
At least you didnt have to go hungry.

For todays meal - how are you going to cook the fish pie in your microwave oven ?

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Tonight's the night ! it's going in the combi oven on convector setting @ 180c for 20 minutes. I'll file a report on the outcome in due course.

Opinion here seems to be divided as to whether it's Ok to leave the pie in it's aluminium container,but Surprised and blahblah say it is,and if it explodes I'll let you know from my hospital bed.

Meanwhile,if they could both let me have the contact details of their lawyers,that could save time in the event that I need to sue them.

I'll remove the plastic film covering though,just to be on the safe side.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

grob wrote:Tonight's the night ! it's going in the combi oven on convector setting @ 180c for 20 minutes. I'll file a report on the outcome in due course.

Opinion here seems to be divided as to whether it's Ok to leave the pie in it's aluminium container,but Surprised and blahblah say it is,and if it explodes I'll let you know from my hospital bed.

Meanwhile,if they could both let me have the contact details of their lawyers,that could save time in the event that I need to sue them.

I'll remove the plastic film covering though,just to be on the safe side.
If you don't use the microwave part it will be fine.
Show photos if it goes wrong though. :)

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Surprised wrote: Show photos if it goes wrong though. :)
I do have a camera,still unused in it's original box,but that's another story for the Fiso photography forum !

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Can I firstly thank all of you who came to my assistance so promptly,helpfully, and patiently.
It proved yet again that Fiso is full of community spirit and expertise on a wide range of subjects,not just the merits of footballers.

OK,feedback time. Unusually,I had a cooked breakfast this morning (some bacon 2 days past it's use by date needed using) so I didn't bother with lunch.
That was my first mistake : I should have had a go at cooking the fish pie for lunch,and then I could've had a decent dinner.
As it was, I was quite hungry by the time I came to cook the pie tonight.

It was a disaster,due to my own lack of culinary experience. + the fact that such fish pies should clearly only be cooked in a conventional oven,as stated on the pack.

So where did I go wrong ? Mainly by cooking it for far too long I think. I found the manual and pressed the convection button 4 times to set the temperature to 185c.
The manual said aluminium trays were fine when used in convection mode,but within minutes,lightening like flashes commenced, with a little smoke plume to emphasise something was not right.
I thought at first it might be due to a sliver of the plastic film I found on the tray,but the flashes continued after I'd removed that, so I played safe and transferred the pie to a microwaveable bowl.

I set the timer for 20 minutes(conventional oven cooking time 25 minutes) and after 18 minutes took it out of the oven to inspect it - at least 3 minutes too late probably.
It looked ok in the oven. The potato crust was rock hard and inedible,though the fish in the centre of the pie was just about palatable.

It's not surprising that there are no combi oven cooking instructions on the pack,as no doubt they've had no success experimenting either.

Unless I find time to enrol for cookery evening classes at some future date,I'll probably stick to using my microwave oven for that purpose alone.
Last edited by grob on 19 Feb 2011, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

grob wrote:within minutes,lightening like flashes commenced, with a little smoke plume to emphasise something was not right.
The northern lights?

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

sssh murf,or Surprised will be asking me for a photo of the display !

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

grob wrote:sssh murf,or Surprised will be asking me for a photo of the display !
You owe us the photo :)
I think the northern lights display was due to the combi part of the oven operating and not just the convection oven.

elizabeth120

Post by elizabeth120 »

1. Place the cod in a shallow ovenproof dish, dot with 25 g (1 oz) of the butter, add 150 ml (1/4 pint) of the milk and season well with salt and pepper. Cover with cling film, pulling back one corner to vent, and microwave on HIGH for 5-6 minutes until the cod is white and flakes easily, turning the dish two or three times during cooking. Stand for 5 minutes.
2. Strain the juices from the cod into a measuring jug and make up to 300 ml (1/2 pint) with milk. Remove all the bones and skin from the cod, then flake the flesh. Set aside.
3. Put the potatoes in a large ovenproof bowl with 90 ml (6 tbsp) water and three-quarters cover it with cling film. Microwave on HIGH for 12-15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked, stirring two or three times during cooking.
4. Drain any excess water from the potatoes. Mash and cream the potatoes with 25 g (1 oz) butter and the beaten egg.
5. Put the remaining 25 g (1 oz) butter in an ovenproof bowl and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds until the butter melts, stir in the flour and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Gradually stir in the measured milk. Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds, then whisk well. Microwave on HIGH for 154-2 minutes until boiling, whisking every 30 seconds. Season well with salt and pepper.
6. Fold the flaked cod, prawns and eggs into the sauce, then pour into a large ovenproof serving dish, or pie dish.
7. Spoon or pipe the cooked potatoes over the fish mixture. Microwave on HIGH for 5-6 minutes until the pie is well heated through.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

elizabeth120 wrote:1. Place the cod in a shallow ovenproof dish, dot with 25 g (1 oz) of the butter, add 150 ml (1/4 pint) of the milk and season well with salt and pepper. Cover with cling film, pulling back one corner to vent, and microwave on HIGH for 5-6 minutes until the cod is white and flakes easily, turning the dish two or three times during cooking. Stand for 5 minutes.
2. Strain the juices from the cod into a measuring jug and make up to 300 ml (1/2 pint) with milk. Remove all the bones and skin from the cod, then flake the flesh. Set aside.
3. Put the potatoes in a large ovenproof bowl with 90 ml (6 tbsp) water and three-quarters cover it with cling film. Microwave on HIGH for 12-15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked, stirring two or three times during cooking.
4. Drain any excess water from the potatoes. Mash and cream the potatoes with 25 g (1 oz) butter and the beaten egg.
5. Put the remaining 25 g (1 oz) butter in an ovenproof bowl and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds until the butter melts, stir in the flour and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Gradually stir in the measured milk. Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds, then whisk well. Microwave on HIGH for 154-2 minutes until boiling, whisking every 30 seconds. Season well with salt and pepper.
6. Fold the flaked cod, prawns and eggs into the sauce, then pour into a large ovenproof serving dish, or pie dish.
7. Spoon or pipe the cooked potatoes over the fish mixture. Microwave on HIGH for 5-6 minutes until the pie is well heated through.

Welcome to the Forum, and an excellent post.

I look forward to Grob's posting his efforts, particularly the piping, in full on youtube 8-)

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I assumed this would be a post wondering why grob hadn't posted since 2012 :-)

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

I didn't think grob was with us any longer?

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Thats one of the most helpful posts I've seen on FISO for a long time.

The only thing that could make it more useful is if it was posted 6 years ago.

Adelia

Post by Adelia »

I'll throw in my $.02, and I apologize for bumping...

I just made this dish and I love it!

3 C mashed potatoes
2 T butter
1 T olive oil
1 Egg
1 Green bell pepper chopped up
1 Red bell pepper chopped up (not the hot red pepper)
4 Cloves garlic
2 Cans no-salt added stewed or crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C black olives
1 Pound Cod Fillets (I used Talapia)
1/3 C chopped, unblanched almonds

Combine potatoes/butter/egg, spread over bottom and sides of 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 400 degrees, uncovered, for 15 minutes.

Saute peppers/garlic about 7-8 minutes.

Add tomatoes/salt/olives and cook uncovered until the flavors meld and the juices are reduced by half, about 7 minutes.

Spoon 1/3 of tomato mixture into the potato crust, lay 1/2 of the fish on top, cover with 1/2 of the tomato mixture, lay other half of fish on top, and then the remainder of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle the almonds over all and bake, uncovered for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

This is easily my favourite ever FISO thread. Period.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Food & Drink”