To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How do I cook a fish pie in a microwave oven ?

A tasty forum for discussion on Food & Drinks topics
grob
Dumbledore

How do I cook a fish pie in a microwave oven ?

Post by grob »

My conventional oven is presently caput,and I've only ever used my microwave oven to microwave food.
I've recently come out of hospital and as I live alone,my brother made an 8 hour round trip to give me a hand and brought me a supply of chilled microwaveable readymeals which are very welcome.
However,among these is a Sainsbury "Taste the Difference" fish pie, to be oven cooked from chilled @ 200c for 25 minutes,with no mention it can be microwaved.
Not wanting to throw it away,I phoned Sainsbury's$4$5 Careline yesterday lunchtime to see if they could advise me if and how the pie can be cooked in a microwave; they promised to call me back and even though I told them I was starving,they only did so this afternoon very apologetically to say that no-one could answer my Q,although they'd tried looking at forums,which I'd already done myself.

I've 2 microwaves,one's an old 650w suitable for grilling and microwaving only,so I wouldn't try to cook it in this.
The other is a 1000w(I think) combi with a convector setting and a microwave-convector combination setting,and it's the latter I was going to try using,but for how many minutes given the 25 minutes stipulated for conventional oven cooking ?
Typically,the instruction booklet that came with my combi microwave is useless - probably written by someone in a country unfamiliar with the concept of fish pies !

It occurred to me that there are probably a few Fisoers who depend on their microwaves to survive,like I'm having to at present.

edit: I didn't type in the link to Sainsbury's,nor the $4$5 either, and note this is "a shopping link provided by skimlink",so this must be an example of "viral marketing" presumably.
Last edited by grob on 18 Feb 2011, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: How do I cook a fish pie in a microwave oven ?

Post by murf »

just do it for a few minutes and see how it looks?

Grilling it slowly might also cook it through a bit and give you a crispy topping!

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

If it's a combi microwave the the convector part is just a fan oven. Just set it to 200 degrees but check after 20 mins as fan ovens cook a bit quicker.

Five long bones
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Five long bones »

Hi Grob, is it possible to lift the potato topping off of the fish and sauce, if it is chilled it should be possible, if you can, heat the fish and sauce in a small pan and heat the potato in the micro and just place them together on the plate, there will be no health risk as long as both are thoroughly heated through, microwaving fish pie often results in a soggy potato topping as it is a fairly wet dish, heating them separately should prevent this.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

If it is in a metal container, you will pi55 all over the sun thing tonight :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote:If it's a combi microwave the the convector part is just a fan oven. Just set it to 200 degrees but check after 20 mins as fan ovens cook a bit quicker.
And metal container, would be fine in this.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

I tried on a previous occasion to cook something in the convector setting and about 58 minutes later,feeling rather peckish,went to get it from the oven only to discover it was stone cold uncooked !
So,I then cooked it under the microwave-convector setting, which produced something hot but shrunken considerably and hardly edible. I suspect that I cooked it for much longer than I should've done.
If there's no-one with microwave cooking expertise on here before tomorrow's "use by" deadline,I'll probably have another go under the microwave-convector setting for about 12 minutes and see what happens.
I'm also unsure if I should remove the pie from it's aluminium tray before cooking and transfer it to a microwaveable dish,as I think I read somewhere that such trays assist with the baking process.

It really surprises me that with microwave cooking being so popular nowadays,with most people leading such busy lives,that food suppliers haven't cottoned on to this - no doubt the pie will taste best when conventionally oven cooked,but they could still emphasise that when providing microwave cooking guidance on the packs.

Incidentally I see that the link in red to Sainsbury's$4$5 website had disappeared when I next looked at my post - viral marketing experimentation ?

edit : I'm not the fastest typist in the West,so I've only just seen the posts by Surprised,5LB,and blahblah - many thanks guys.
Last edited by grob on 18 Feb 2011, 18:55, edited 6 times in total.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

The microwave will probably have buttons/knobs to press that make the microwave, convector and combi function. They will just be meaningless little pictures so the manual will tell you which is which

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

If only the forum had an agony uncle...

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Beerfuelledman wrote:If only the forum had an agony uncle...
Would said agony uncle know the answer though?

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Who could say? Has he been beaten yet?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Maybe post a pic of the front of it, or post the name, so we can see if the convector thing is a "real" oven.

Ex put metal in microwave :roll:

Awesome shite was going on inside, as I had to turn it off, as if she could not turn the plug switch off :evil:

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

If you're still struggling grob, post the name of the combi model that you have then someone may be able to tell you exactly which buttons need pushing.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Ok :roll: I dug him out of retirement, since no-one else could be arsed....

Unc BFM says;

Fish Pie is not a dish that tastes good reheated. It just isn't. Microwave 'Ovens' are no substitute for a real oven. By definition, they work with micro 'waves' & not heat.

Ergo - your dinner will taste shit.

To make the best of a bad situation, as has been alluded to, nuke it for 4.5 mins & throw it under the grill to crisp the top. If you can get drunk first to null the taste - good.

Once your oven is working again - Unc BFM has a recipe for one of the best fish pie's in the UK. And as you know, Unc BFM does not make these claims lightly. 8-)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Beerfuelledman wrote:Ok :roll: I dug him out of retirement, since no-one else could be arsed....

Unc BFM says;

Fish Pie is not a dish that tastes good reheated. It just isn't. Microwave 'Ovens' are no substitute for a real oven. By definition, they work with micro 'waves' & not heat.
But it's a combi so the oven part is a real oven.
Possibly.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Not into Fish Pie: the whole fish, cream, potato thing is just wrong.

But not the point for Grb, I think.

He could not get the conventional bit of it to work last time :wink:

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Surprised wrote:
Beerfuelledman wrote:Ok :roll: I dug him out of retirement, since no-one else could be arsed....

Unc BFM says;

But it's a combi so the oven part is a real oven.
Possibly.
Like saying Groomyd is a real authority on Football.
Possibly.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Sorry,I went to self inject myself against DVT while I remembered and came back and typed several replies to the above helpful posts but for some inexplicable reason(IE9 beta ?) every time I pressed submit,my posts evaporated just like my fish pie will if I'm not careful !

BlahBlah & BFM,this is no ordinary fish pie or I'd have given it to my cat(if I had a cat),it's a Sainsbury's$4$5 Taste the Difference pie, "the ultimate comfort food, succulent, responsibly sourced Scottish salmon, milk simmered smoked haddock and juicy king prawns in a creamy mature Cheddar sauce. Served on a bed of spinach and finished with a golden layer of buttery Maris Piper mash.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

grob wrote:Sorry,I went to self inject myself against DVT while I remembered and came back and typed several replies to the above helpful posts but for some inexplicable reason(IE9 beta ?) every time I pressed submit,my posts evaporated just like my fish pie will if I'm not careful !

BlahBlah & BFM,this is no ordinary fish pie or I'd have given it to my cat(if I had a cat),it's a Sainsbury's$4$5 Taste the Difference pie, "the ultimate comfort food, succulent, responsibly sourced Scottish salmon, milk simmered smoked haddock and juicy king prawns in a creamy mature Cheddar sauce. Served on a bed of spinach and finished with a golden layer of buttery Maris Piper mash.
Its a Sainsbury's microwavable pish that allegedly tastes better that other microwavable pish? My word. Its a crisis.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

blahblah wrote: He could not get the conventional bit of it to work last time :wink:
No,that's my main oven that's not working,not my microwave combi oven,which I'm sure works but I'm not sure how.
It might be easier to fix my main oven - the separate grill works,but the oven buzzer comes on immediately and won't stop buzzing and the oven doesn't heat up at all - one snag is that there's a lot of stuff preventing easy access and I'm on crutches and unable to bend or stretch for a few weeks.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

grob wrote:
blahblah wrote: He could not get the conventional bit of it to work last time :wink:
No,that's my main oven that's not working,not my microwave combi oven,which I'm sure works but I'm not sure how.
It might be easier to fix my main oven - the separate grill works,but the oven buzzer comes on immediately and won't stop buzzing and the oven doesn't heat up at all - one snag is that there's a lot of stuff preventing easy access and I'm on crutches and unable to bend or stretch for a few weeks.
Just tell us make and model and someone should be able to walk you through.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Beerfuelledman wrote:Its a Sainsbury's$4$5 microwavable pish that allegedly tastes better that other microwavable pish? My word. Its a crisis.
No,you arrived late on the scene,BFM. If it was microwavable pish,this thread would not have appeared !
btw,I don't know where that $4$5 keeps coming from,I never typed it.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

You're going to need some toast soon Graham :lol:

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Vid wrote:
Just tell us make and model and someone should be able to walk you through.
3 times I've posted replies to you Vid,and every time they've disappeared ! it's a DELTA,bought from Aldi
Among the buttons which of these 2 should I use: convector or microwave+convector ?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

http://kitchen.manualsonline.com/mdownl ... 5f2c3f.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To Cook with Convection
To cook with convection, press CONVECTION
button once and then press the number pads to
enter the desired convection temperature.
Suppose you want to cook at 180℃ for 40
minutes.
1. Press CONVECTION button.
2. Press number pad 8 to set 180℃.
3. Use the number pads to enter cooking time.
4. Press START button.
NOTE:
1. The maximum convection cooking time is
9 hours, 99 minutes. After time has
elapsed four beeps sound and END
appears in display. Press CANCEL button
or open door to clear END before starting
another cooking function.
2. You can check the convection
temperature while cooking is in progress
by pressing the CONVECTION button.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Beerfuelledman wrote:You're going to need some toast soon Graham :lol:
I'm not hungry now,as among the meals my brother brought me were 2 x spagetti meals. I groaned when I saw them,but he said perhaps I'd get to like them. I said that when asked,I say I eat everything,except chicken's eyes,Marmite and spagetti. :wink:

However,I felt I should punish myself for my incompetence in using a microwave combi,so as I was very hungry(as everyone reading this thread will be by now),I blindfolded myself and pretended I was on Celebrity Big Brother eating worms for a £100k prize,and eat one of the spagetti meals :wink:

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

My Man, I also am a man alone. Ahead in the cookings stakes only because when I married my then wife was similarly incompetent & one of us had to learn. I promise you, a fish pie above all fish pies you can easily cook yourself is very easily attainable.

Use a wok/large saucepan & another large saucepan.
Boil an egg or two. Peel & quarter & set aside.
Chop a half an onion. Brown in the wok.
Add whatever veg you like (Mushroom, peas's, etc)
Cook.
In the other saucepan use some milk, butter & a colemans (or other) white sauce sachet.
Add your fish. I like white fish/salmon.
Add a tin of tuna drained.
Poach the fish in the white sauce as it heats/cooks.
Add your poached fish, white sauce, cooked onions & veg to an oven dish.
Add your quartered egg
Cover in breadcrumbs/torn up loaf.
Grate some cheese over it if you like.
Oven bake.

Never buy Fish pie in Sainsburys again.

Easy peasy lemon squeasy. If I can do it anyone can.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

He'd still need to know how to work the oven BFM!

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Surprised wrote:If it's a combi microwave the the convector part is just a fan oven. Just set it to 200 degrees but check after 20 mins as fan ovens cook a bit quicker.
It says on the pack 200c/Fan 180c to oven cook from chilled. So from what you've said and Vid has described below,it seems to me that the microwave+convector setting is the wrong one to use,and I should use the convector button instead,setting the temp to 180c and checking after 20 minutes.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Food & Drink”