A tasty forum for discussion on Food & Drinks topics
ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Re: Food Contamination

Post by ctibbits »

Violin wrote:
ctibbits wrote:
If you have never had a good case of food poisoning trust me when I say you don't want to know how terrible it is.
I can remember being on some course and we were all asked who has had food poisoning? about 3 or 4 people raised their arms. He said well actually you have all had it.

I know you say a good case of it, but I assume we have all had mild cases when we have eaten something that is slightly off. Isn't the shits the body's reaction to poisoning?
"shits" puts it mildly. Pissing out your ass for a few hours is more accurate. Coupled with relentless vomiting, stomach cramps ad even fever.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

ctibbits wrote:This has been a very interesting read for me. I have worked in restaurants for 17 years, from entry level all the way up to multi-unit corporate management. I was just talking to my wife about how food safety that seems cooking knowledge to me is actually not so common. Frankly should be taught in our school systems here and surely would be beneficial for all of you in the UK also. Because of our quick to sue society and overbearing government I would assume our regulations are amongst the most strict in the world but it's still good to know these things.

A few guidelines (just basics to know): Food born bacteria thrives at temperaturs between 40 and 165 Fahrenheit( I think that's 5-75ish Celsius, but google it). You should never keep food in that range for more than 4 hours total. Wiping with a paper towel will do nothing to remove bacteria, I advise against it. A 50ppm bleach solution is sufficient to sanatize a surface. It's a good idea to get different cutting boards for vegetables and raw meats and not at all that hard to accomplish. I personally have 4 cutting boards, they don't take much space and it's worth the safety.

If you have never had a good case of food poisoning trust me when I say you don't want to know how terrible it is.
Will putting the chopping board in the toaster help kill the bugs?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Depends if they like cheese.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I read somewhere that wooden cutting boards are like a wet dream to bacteria. What type is best to keep those bacteria dudes at bay?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Hard plastic. Like Edam.

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

It's all wet dreams and paper towels with you surprised

Henry Chinaski
FISOhead

Post by Henry Chinaski »

Surprised wrote:I read somewhere that wooden cutting boards are like a wet dream to bacteria. What type is best to keep those bacteria dudes at bay?
Here's ours

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-Worktop- ... B000K1XWEA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing survives the dishwasher 8-)

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

jpk wrote:It's all wet dreams and paper towels with you surprised
and lots of cheese

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

jpk wrote:It's all wet dreams and paper towels with you surprised
I genuinely laughed out loud at that :lol:
Or lol'd as the cool kids would say

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Post by AKNel1 »

Surprised wrote:I read somewhere that wooden cutting boards are like a wet dream to bacteria. What type is best to keep those bacteria dudes at bay?
Wooden chopping boards/blocks were removed from all butchers shops/catering facilities approx 20 years ago. However, there is an argument that they are safer surfaces than the plastic chopping boards due to being a 'natural' product - something to do with an ability to breathe, anyway wooden chopping boards are now available in shops and are arguably the safest option.

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Post by AKNel1 »

http://purehealthguide.com/2012/04/hygi ... ing-board/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Used to have a wooden cutting board and cleaned it after use by wiping down with a wet cloth. Not sure it was ever actually washed. It split so I got a plastic one that can go in the dishwasher.

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

Honestly I have always used plastic at home and we were required to in the restaurant. Key is to sanatize and clean them properly and when they get in bad condition to "refinish" them with sandpaper.

I've always had a fear of wooden boards but have used one for fruits and vegetables only in the past.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Food & Drink”