To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Miami and Florida.....who's been?

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
gazwood
Dumbledore

Miami and Florida.....who's been?

Post by gazwood »

gazwood is of to sunny Miami on April 12th.

3 of my mates booked it on a whim about a week back and now i've jumped on board. The first 3 nights are booked and paid for in South Beach with the RV being picked up after this for the trips to the Everglades and the drive to Key West. That's about as far as the plans have reached.

Anything recommendations on places and activities we should'nt be missing out on during our fortnight out in the US of A?

Pincher
Grumpy Old Crab
FS Record: Allys Tartan Army

Re: Miami and Florida.....who's been?

Post by Pincher »

No tips as it was a few years back now and I can't remember any of the places we went too, but of all the cities I have visited, and I have visited a few, Miami is by far the one that is straight off the TV - just a hedonistic wee paradise for the well-to-heel - lots of sportsters, girls and gangsters. Trip to the Keys, Everglades, and hanging out on South Beach sound like you have it covered more or less. A boat trip around the Keys would probably make for a nice day out - they have spontaneous parties where boats just randomly meet up in some shallows and people drink, eat and swim - do be careful mixing the former with the latter though! Might be a bit pricey - fortunately I had a mate with a boat. :wink:

I am sure you will have a great time!

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Went to Miami a couple of years back and a few of us paid for a helicopter ride were they take you over the city then do a flyover of South Beach as low as they're allowed to fly. Very exciting and I defy anyone to do that and not have the theme tune to Miami Vice in their head.

South Beach is great and you can have a good laugh there but make sure you get over to Lincoln Road which is a bit more chilled out. Many of the bar/restaurant workers there - in fact many of the population - appear to be frustrated models/actresses so you can have a great time "people spotting".

If you can be arsed with the longish drive to central Florida then Orlando has loads of touristy stuff i.e. theme parks and Wet'n'Wild was good when I went there. The stuff you've mentioned in the south sounds a lot more relaxed though.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Went in 2002. Four of us flew to Orlando. Worked our way down, stopping in Daytona, Fort Lauderdale (maybe Palm Beach ?), Key West and finally, back to Miami. Driving through the keys was excellent and I loved Key West - sort of anything goes. We didn't do much of the touristy stuff (apart from the Evergaldes - bloody hot, but I did find a croc :D and Hemingway's House), just drinking and lounging by the pool during the day. Would kill me now but great at the time. You'll have a ball. Cheap hotels, just buy the usual and essential "Rough Guide to... ".

Miami beach is cool. The question is, do you have the physique to blend in with the locals ? (I didn't)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

For those that have been - if you had half a day plus an evening to kill in Miami, with access to a car, what would you do? Drive to Key Largo? half day on the outskirts of the Everglades? South beach?

Seriously tempted to hire a Mustang convertible rather than a bog standard Honda-a-like :D

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Thanks for the help everyone :D

Wrong time of year to be asking non-footie related questions though really.

My free half a day has now been take up with more meetings though now. Best I can hope for is a meal and a quick wander round South Beach at night. Next board meeting is in Mexico so will have to try and plan a bit better and get a free day to hit the beach.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Pity, would have re-recommended that helicopter :D

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Been in South Miami for 2 days now and still yet to interact with anyone who speaks English as a first language - it's more like Cuba than America. Luckily here with 3 'locals' (from Chile, El Salvador and Colombia) but even they struggled to translate some of the stuff that the waitress in the Peruvian restaurant that we've just been to was saying :D

I guess they speak more English downtown, but down here its Spanish all the way.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”