To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Dual Nationality

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Dual Nationality

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Does anyone on FISO have dual nationality?

I wondered about leaving to travel on one passport and then subsequently returning on another one. I'm not actively seeing to do it I just wondered if it was possible or what would happen if I did - say for example if one were to return home and the passport control EU queue was much shorter than the non EU (post Brexit) queue but Id left on my non EU passport.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Dual Nationality

Post by Zimmerman »

I like your angle. I think I have a mate that is. I will see if he knows.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

I work with several people with dual (or triple) nationalities.

Guy that I work with regularly travels on his Italian passport in Europe, Canadian passport in N America and Chilean passport in S America. Pretty sure he's told me that he always boards the plane and enters a foreign country with the same passport (eg if going to Mexico he'll board and enter Mexico with the Canadian passport, then leave with the Canadian passport (so the entry and exit stamps are in the same passport) but if he's returning to Chile he'll always actually enter Chile with his Chilean passport. Whilst this is partly to avoid the long extranjeros line at SCL airport, its also a bit of a no-no entering your own country with a foreign passport.

Guess it depends on the countries concerned, plus also we've got no idea what the border entry requirements might be post brexit. British and EU passports might end up going through the same line anyway

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I was thinking, down the line that travelling within the EU might be easier on my Irish (EU) passport, though if I went to see my buddy in Canada that travelling on my British (Commonwealth?) passport might be easier... I really have no idea - and as you say we dont know what post Brexit may look like passport wise yet.

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

I hold NZ and British passports but I would only take one if I was traveling overseas as it takes too much explaining if you fly out of a country and have no stamp in your passport showing legal entry in . the last time I traveled to England to visit family we flew on the NZ passport and went through the non EU immigration gate with no problems when entering England. I was born in England, have a national insurance number and have paid tax and national insurance contributions there in the 70's. but they stamped my passport as holiday only and I could not work.

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

Beerfuelledman wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 20:32 I was thinking, down the line that travelling within the EU might be easier on my Irish (EU) passport, though if I went to see my buddy in Canada that travelling on my British (Commonwealth?) passport might be easier... I really have no idea - and as you say we dont know what post Brexit may look like passport wise yet.
If I had your choice I would travel on the Irish EU passport, only because the "British " ( English) have "upset" more nations around the world over the centuries. Don't get me wrong I am proud of my English heritage, but as a traveling Kiwi I get a better reception in some countries.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

If I was Kane and wanted to play for Real Madrid, I'd do it on an Irish Passport. :wink:
Choose the passport depending on which countries your visiting or working in..

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Oxford NZ wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 08:24
Beerfuelledman wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 20:32 I was thinking, down the line that travelling within the EU might be easier on my Irish (EU) passport, though if I went to see my buddy in Canada that travelling on my British (Commonwealth?) passport might be easier... I really have no idea - and as you say we dont know what post Brexit may look like passport wise yet.
If I had your choice I would travel on the Irish EU passport, only because the "British " ( English) have "upset" more nations around the world over the centuries. Don't get me wrong I am proud of my English heritage, but as a traveling Kiwi I get a better reception in some countries.
Understand your point, but brother has no trouble going anywhere on his Brit passport but his wife has been refused entry to some with a passport of a country that would amaze me if they had offended anybody.
Am waiting to see out come of EU talks to see if worthwhile for son to get an Irish passport, do feel a hypocrite but if it is worth the trouble will do it for him.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 17:17 I work with several people with dual (or triple) nationalities.
For some reason I thought 2 was the maximum.

Did Rupe Murdoch have to give one up?

Why not use the one you want to, but have the others ready in case they ask?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 16:07
unc.si. wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 17:17 I work with several people with dual (or triple) nationalities.
For some reason I thought 2 was the maximum.

Did Rupe Murdoch have to give one up?

Why not use the one you want to, but have the others ready in case they ask?
Can't be limited - I know one guy with Chilean + Italian + Canadian and another with Mexican + El Salvadorian + Japanese (and he's currently applying for a Green Card for the US, but Trump has effectively slowed down all Green Card applications, at least for Latino's anyway). Actually went with both of those two to open a bank account in the US. All needed 2 pieces of id. They looked in complete disbelief at my tatty paper UK drivers licence (they didn't accept it - I had to apply for a photo one and go back. They couldn't believe that we were so primitive - this from a country that still uses cheques and hardly had a chip and pin service in shops worth speaking of). They weren't overly happy when one of the other guys was trying to use two passports from different countries either (didn't accept it - he had to go back as well). To be honest I felt a bit inadequate only having one nationality :D

One of my mates at home has Australian and UK, but had to give up (or couldn't renew - can't remember which) his South African passport. His parents were from Zimbabwe, so couldn't get it through the parent route. He has UK by residence, but I'm pretty sure that as long as he renews his Australian one each time he can keep it. His kids have Australian passports by birth and UK by residence.

Maybe different countries have different rules?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 16:55 Maybe different countries have different rules?
Maybe, without Googling I think Rupes had to give up UK or Aus to get US.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

unc.si. wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 16:55 One of my mates at home has Australian and UK, but had to give up (or couldn't renew - can't remember which) his South African passport. His parents were from Zimbabwe, so couldn't get it through the parent route. He has UK by residence, but I'm pretty sure that as long as he renews his Australian one each time he can keep it. His kids have Australian passports by birth and UK by residence.

Maybe different countries have different rules?
My brother in law was born in Rhodesia (i.e. Zimbabwe) to an English father and still carries his South African passport in addition to his British one. So as you say, may be the born rather than parental route.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Surely the answer is 'use the blue one' ;-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 20:10 Surely the answer is 'use the blue one' ;-)
Is that the French one?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

My son can apply for a French passport when he's a little older. As things stand, since he was born after, Jan 1st 2005, he is only allowed the nationality of his parents, even though he was born in an EU country. This law applies EU wide.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I was working with someone who has a Brazilian and US passport earlier this week so I asked him about it. He lives in the US and has to enter the US on his US passport, so if he uses his Brazilian passport to travel somewhere he has to check in for the return flight on his US passport. His wife didn't do that one time and when returning to the US they had no record of her being on the plane when she went to clear immigration. They let her back in but it was a load of hassle (it seems that when you enter the country the immigration officials systems are linked to the flight manifests so they know who was on which flight. He generally only uses his Brazilian one when he goes to Brazil though.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”