To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Places to eat in New York

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Places to eat in New York

Post by Archy »

Hi all

I’m taking my Mrs to New York next month to celebrate her 40th Birthday. She’s never been before. We have a pretty long list of places to go see, including all the usual sight-seeing highlights.

What I’m really hoping to find is some interesting places to eat while we’re there. So far have just Katz diner and Magnolia bakery on the list, but would really appreciate some other suggestions!

Also if you have any quirky places to see that aren’t in the usual guidebooks that would be cool too. :D

Cheers in advance!

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: Places to eat in New York

Post by bluenosey »

I'm going back to the late 90s/early 00's but Bleeker Street was always the best place to go of a night in my experience. A handful of great pubs (the Peculiar Pub sticks in my mind), restaurants, music venues, all within walking distance.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Not very hidden gems at all, but we went for cocktails in the Rainbow Room (think it used to be an old haunt for the gangster types back in the day).

We also went to eat at the River Cafe (quite a fancy restaurant under the Brooklyn Bridge).

Disclaimer: We were there in 2005

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I always go to somewhere that sells the local food, found one in New York and remember it well because it took me about 3 attempts for them to understand my accent. Can't remember which street/block/corner it was on but I'm sure you can find it if you google "McDonalds".

Also went to a chinese place in China town but no idea what it was called. It was about 15 years ago, christmas, very cold (9 months before 9/11, got up the Twin Towers just in time)

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

Guys - thank you very much for your helpful responses. Murf, thank you for yours too :wink:

So, River Cafe looks fab, we’re going to book ourselves in for an early evening meal there on the day we walk across Brooklyn bridge (Thank you Zim :D )

Also Breecker Street looks worth a visit and have found one of NYs best Pizza places there - Bleecker Street Pizza - so will try that out (Thank you bluenosey :D )

If anybody else has any ideas please keep them coming!

Jagduracell
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd TFF World Cup 2014, 8th in TFF Fantasy Lions and a few TFF and TFC weekly wins

Post by Jagduracell »

A lot depends on your budget. I lived out there for a little while and had some regular favourites like Brother Jimmys BBQ. If you have a massive budget and can get in then I can highly recommend Per Se (Thomas Keller restauarant in the time Warner centre at the corner of Central Park).
For steak either Sparks (an old Mafia hang out) or Smith & Wollensky (I prefer S&W). At Grand Central station go to the Vanderbilt room for a drink. I think the rumour was that it was on old hidden away room that it had been long forgotten and only fairly recently discovered. Also the Michael Jordan steakhouse (more upmarket than the name might suggest) in Grand central is good food with a stunning backdrop.
If ever you venture to the upper west which was where I lived then try and find 5 napkins burger. The name is a bit of a giveaway. If I remember any more I will post.

Been 7 years so a lot may of changed but I’m insanely jealous. Have a great time

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”