To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

London Underground

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

London Underground

Post by Jester »

Simple question.... Can I pay to travel using my Visa debit contact less card?
If so, do I just flash it at the reader on my way through or do I need to register it for use in advance?
Reading up it sounds like I can just start using it, but hopefully someone can confirm before I hold up the waiting public! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Re: London Underground

Post by jimmy ching »

You bustard. Why can't they take just money :D

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

The London underground map is so easy to understand. I've found the other capital cities don't use it. A map is an interpretation of what you should expect. It works for me

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

jimmy ching wrote:The London underground map is so easy to understand. I've found the other capital cities don't use it.
There's one very good reason for that....

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Cash price of a single trip zones 1-2 is 4.80. Cashless it is only 2.30 - I've no issue with the map.......

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

I have to leave in an hour, if anyone can actually help...?!!! ;-)

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Ps and don't need to register it, just tap in and out

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

If you ever plan to go again wouldn't it be easier just to get an Oyster Card?

muldoon
FISOhead
FS Record: many years playing TFF, still learning the FPL ropes

Post by muldoon »

I vaguely recall a report on the news some months ago that said if you paid contactless over longer periods you paid more than other methods of payment, but I can't remember the exact details.....

And I love the Underground map, its a design classic. Last year I cycled every Underground, Overground and DLR line from end to end GPS tracking on my phone in an attempt to make my own version. It was over 900 miles in total, I finished the riding but the map remains unfinished. I need a 3m by 2m piece of plastic/acetate to draw it up on, and I'd love to make a mini version with using the GPX traces and have them all coloured to match the original map but don't have the technological know or a decent puter to make it happen.

If anyone has half an hour or their life spare you can read of the adventure here, and any tips on making the puterised version using the GPX's gratefully received:

http://www.lfgss.com/conversations/242671/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RowdyRaver
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RowdyRaver »

I found out my bog-standard visa card works on these the other day.

Unfortunately it was by accident as I already had a travelcard :x

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

muldoon wrote:I vaguely recall a report on the news some months ago that said if you paid contactless over longer periods you paid more than other methods of payment, but I can't remember the exact details.....

And I love the Underground map, its a design classic. Last year I cycled every Underground, Overground and DLR line from end to end GPS tracking on my phone in an attempt to make my own version. It was over 900 miles in total, I finished the riding but the map remains unfinished. I need a 3m by 2m piece of plastic/acetate to draw it up on, and I'd love to make a mini version with using the GPX traces and have them all coloured to match the original map but don't have the technological know or a decent puter to make it happen.

If anyone has half an hour or their life spare you can read of the adventure here, and any tips on making the puterised version using the GPX's gratefully received:

http://www.lfgss.com/conversations/242671/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That was a interesting read!
There are graphic designers on FISO so maybe one of them can help

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

Contact less card worked a treat, unfortunately MrsJ didn't have one so we had to use both of mine...... :?

The payment isn't showing online yet so I don't know how much has been taken.
Much better than queuing for a ticket machine though!

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Might try it next time. I've got an Oyster card but contactless might be easier than carrying yet another card around.

I know that Oyster is cheaper than PAYG and will only charge a max of a travelcard equivalent in any one day (I tend to travel between several meetings when I'm there so can rack up 8-10 tube trips in a day). Anyone know if contactless does the same?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I used 'my' credit card these last two days (instead of my oyster), so would be interested to know (I'd assumed it would work in the same way).

SamD
FISO Knight

London transport

Post by SamD »

Yes, daily fares cap is applied in same manner on both contactless and Oyster card usage.

For details see
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment ... is-capping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bramernic
Dumbledore
FS Record: Plenty of super league prizes, nothing from the organisers.

Re: London transport

Post by Bramernic »

SamD wrote:Yes, daily fares cap is applied in same manner on both contactless and Oyster card usage.

For details see
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment ... is-capping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well sort of, but not quite. Contactless won't be more than Oyster, but capping works differently and can result in lower daily charges. There's quite a helpful guy runs http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and explains things in a slightly different way to TfL. Might also explain why he doesn't post on here so much. :wink:

Jester: If you register the CPC with TfL then you can see same day journey history (about 15 mins delayed). I'd definitely recommend it.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

Thanks for the tip Bram - have now registered my cards :-)

My trip today doesn't show in the history but I didn't expect it would really.
It's still not showing in online banking either, which is more surprising.....

Bramernic
Dumbledore
FS Record: Plenty of super league prizes, nothing from the organisers.

Post by Bramernic »

Jester wrote:Thanks for the tip Bram - have now registered my cards :-)

My trip today doesn't show in the history but I didn't expect it would really.
It's still not showing in online banking either, which is more surprising.....
Today's travel is on the dashboard rather than with the other history. It *should* show because there is no danger that the card might have been used by someone else (the reason you don't get Oyster history before the date you link the card to your online account). Let me know if you can't see it.

Online banking won't show anything until the charge is made. That may be tomorrow or the next day depending on how quick your bank shows these things. TfL process the days travel during the next day, once they are reasonably sure that all the touches up to 0430 have been received by the central system.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

I see it now :-)

Real time saver this as the ticket machines don't list tickets incl underground.
Thanks all for your help!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”