To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Venice

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Venice

Post by unc.si. »

Given the kids a choice of destination for a long weekend on the next Friday inset day (July) and they've come up with Venice

Anyone got any tips - I've never been.

ie best way to get from the airport (water taxi??), good locations to stay in, top things to do (with teenage kids who don't like being indoors, so museums are a challenge). I'm obviously aware of St Marks, Grand Canal, Doges but if there's anywhere great but slightly off the beaten track that would be perfect.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Re: Venice

Post by bspittles »

unc.si. wrote:Given the kids a choice of destination for a long weekend on the next Friday inset day (July) and they've come up with Venice

Anyone got any tips - I've never been.

ie best way to get from the airport (water taxi??), good locations to stay in, top things to do (with teenage kids who don't like being indoors, so museums are a challenge). I'm obviously aware of St Marks, Grand Canal, Doges but if there's anywhere great but slightly off the beaten track that would be perfect.
My favourite city, but not sure I'd have liked it as a teenager! Ask them why they chose it.

Best way onto the island is by train, but that's a bit of a faff from either airport. There are cheap buses (3 euros when I last went), or a land taxi. Water taxi is expensive and depends a bit on the weather.

While you're there, you could visit the glass blowing on Murano. You watch the guys producing stuff, then get a chance to buy it :-) There's the Arsenale with old weaponary. Or catch a vaporetta (water bus) to the Lido which has a bit of a beach. There's also a bit of a park (Giardini) if they need to let off steam.

Climate is pretty similar to the UK.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Not sure why they chose it. Suspect that my elder daughter (she'll be 15 by then) just thinks it's a cool place to hang out and send instagram pictures from :lol:

Why do you say it's not great for teenagers. Can imagine some teenagers (mainly boys - is that really sexist :lol: ) being bored, but the girls do like hanging out at street cafe's and generally like wandering round interesting cities.

Thanks for the info. Glass blowing sounds good if we get a rainy morning.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

unc.si. wrote:Not sure why they chose it. Suspect that my elder daughter (she'll be 15 by then) just thinks it's a cool place to hang out and send instagram pictures from :lol:

Why do you say it's not great for teenagers. Can imagine some teenagers (mainly boys - is that really sexist :lol: ) being bored, but the girls do like hanging out at street cafe's and generally like wandering round interesting cities.

Thanks for the info. Glass blowing sounds good if we get a rainy morning.
That's not the Blow i would prefer on a rainy morning away.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

I would do one of the water tours which takes you up the arsenal (fnaar), up and down the grand canal etc to give yourselves a feel of how things are set up.

The Peggy Guggenheim museum (right on the water) is worth going to if you have any interest in modern art - I really enjoyed it. Nice setting too.

Avoid having food / coffee on St Marks square or be prepared to pay.

It's a good city for wandering around and by getting out a bit you make life cheaper.

Moreno is a nice district and Lido worth a visit as someone has already said.

The only downsides are that it does smell a bit and in July it's gonna be real busy.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

July will be mega-busy and if your kids like hanging around street-cafe's then you are in for a very expensive time :lol: (St Marks Square £3 a cup of coffee back in 1990)

Having said that the place is absolutely unbelievable and you'll remember it forever.

My advice: Have one day where you stay together and just 'get lost' somewhere away from the main centre where you will meet Venetians instead of Americans.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

When we got there (inter-railing) we initially just got lost and wandered round backstreets so I remember it as run down and smelly!

Saw the sights afterwards but it didn't do much for me. Happy to head off after 1 or 2 nights. Maybe being skint meant I didn't get to savour the over priced coffees or gondola trips.

Luckily I have no recall of bumping into Dennis T. Menace :wink:

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Something else I recommend is to buy a three-day vaporetto pass as soon as you arrive. i know they sell them at the railway station, but maybe also at the airport. It really is the best way to get around, and to spot things you might want to take a closer look at.

If you think big ships might be of interest, get the number 2 vaporetta which goes to the South of the island, past the cruise ships that dock each day.

Oh, and eat away from the main waterways - cheaper and better quality.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

They say visit Venice near the full moon. The evenings are simply beautiful.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

You could do a 'Don't Look Now' self-tour. Watch the film, visit the location.

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/d ... Mk9ztJyZjo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take care with the film as it does contain a rather graphic sex scene, although I watched it as a 14 year old and it never did me any harm. Well not apart from a sore right-hand for a month after 8-)

Other ideas for tours here:

http://www.viator.com/Venice-tours/d522 ... wgodGy4A1Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Cheers all.

usually find a cafe somewhere off the main tourist areas to eat. Vaporetto pass sounds like a great idea.

Oh, and Dennis - I've got 2 teenage daughters - every day's an expensive day :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”