To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Holiday Suggestions

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Holiday Suggestions

Post by Zimmerman »

Where to go (and when)
Looking for suggestions for a family holiday (me, mrs and a 3 year old). She’s 2.5 at the moment, so will be 3 or thereabouts by the time we go.

Neither of us are particularly good at doing nothing.
Have never been one for beach holidays either.
But now we have the little one, going on 2000 mile road trip across America isnt an option either.
Due to flight times, we are thinking it has to be Europe.
Wouldn’t want somewhere blisteringly hot either… but we are flexible with when we go, so shouldn’t be an issue.

Torn between needing an apartment/villa…. versus a hotel.

We’re both very fussy/snobby about our food.
So one of the main criteria is access to decent food.
I know that’s hard to quantify.
As a bench mark – somewhere like Jamie’s Italian is a decent enough “lets go for some lunch” sort of place. Pizza Express is ok [trying to think of nationally known places].
So Im not necessarily talking high end (although partial to a top end meal now and again). I’m just a bit of a soft arse who likes things to be clean and ‘safe’. Somewhere like Morocco would possibly be my worse nightmare.

In my head, I’m thinking a golf complex (neither of us play golf) or even a ski resort. But I am thinking these sorts of gaffs, will have good facilities and provide decent food.
Open to going anywhere whether its Croatia, Switzerland or Spain etc.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Holiday Suggestions

Post by Surprised »

Admins apartment?

holiday-apartment-south-east-spain-disc ... 83754.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Also see here

post2427799.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Switzerland is fantastic... and not just for the skiing. The trains are particularly enjoyable and the clean air and open green spaces are ideal with young kids.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Apart from afew 'no's and restaurants, we need a bit more guidance on what you do want to do!

Sightseeing? shops? "culture"?

Go in June/July so there are no (school age) kids is my tip for anyone, except those with kids so please go in August in case I am there in June/July! :wink: (actually got my hol planned so feel free to go abroad with your kid in June/July next year!)

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Don't like beaches/lying there.
Don't mind a bit of culture... But I'm more of a "oooohhhh there's the Gaudi. Right where next" than "let's stay here for three hours soaking it in".

Food is a big thing.
Scenery is a plus.
Some culture.
Some history.
Like a bit of atmosphere... But can happily do secluded.
Mrs loves shopping

Liked:
Germany cities
Madrid
Barcelona
LOVED California and Vegas (everywhere from Yosemite to San Diego)
Normandy

Not liked
Malta
Bulgaria
Pisa
Athens
Ayos Nickalous (sp)

As I mentioned, with the child, probably need to consider her being entertained. But I'm sure a pool and a park will suffice!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

South of France, somewhere near Marseilles or Nice?

Can get into Provence or the southern alps.

Loads of French holiday type towns that nobody English has hard of with parks etc for the kids.

Loads of good driving for days out.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

How about a mini European tour?
Paris-Bruges-Amsterdam-Munich-Prague

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

Agree with Murf, The French Riviera.

Great train and bus links, with loads to see such as Monaco, Cannes, St.Tropez, Nice, and if you stay in somewhere like Juan Les Pins, you can alternate it with a relaxing time on the beach if you and the Mrs just want to chill out for the day

Here's a nice little hotel: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... ml#REVIEWS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g1 ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Just got back from 5 days in Reykjavik and reckon Iceland is worth looking into.

Very clean, mega friendly atmosphere. Reykjavik's not what you'd call a spectacular city in the sense of a Barcelona, Florence, Paris etc, but I really liked it there. Plus there's plenty to keep you occupied if you like getting out and about.

Less expensive than Oslo or Stockholm. Food still a bit pricey but not too bad. Lovely fish and lamb. Just don't eat the Hákarl.
Tough to find somewhere for a 3yo though without going on a beach holiday I guess.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Surprised wrote:How about a mini European tour?
At one stage considering that.
Base ourselves in Dusseldorf I think it was and then do day trips on the train to Amsterdam, Bruge, Munich etc.

Lot of places are 2-3hrs on the train from there.
Just whether we could fashion a holiday out of it.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Surprised wrote:Admis apartment?
Will be looking in to that.

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

It doesn't tick any of your boxes...but if you can take a 4 hour flight I recommend Club Magic Life Fuerteventura. There are lots of fitness and sporting activities done to an intermediate/advanced standard: cycling, walking, tennis, archery, spinning, gym classes.

There is a creche with activities. Personally I wouldn't leave a 3 year old but it's there if you want it. We went with our grandaughter who was 20 months. She loved the tame scrounging chipmunks on the beach, and was ok climbing the many steps. The beach is great for sandcastles/scupltures. Watch out for the stone circle residents. We named the boldest "The Lion King" :|
nudist-beaches-t108837.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you don't want fancy nouvelle cuisine, there is a vast choice of reasonable quality food. The bookable Argentinian restaurant is a must...ask for your steak done minimum medium/well.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Murf/Dennis - cheers, will look into it. Only ever been to Paris and Normandy. So south of France appeals.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Brightwater wrote:It doesn't tick any of your boxes...but if you can take a 4 hour flight I recommend Club Magic Life Fuerteventura. There are lots of fitness and sporting activities done to an intermediate/advanced standard: cycling, walking, tennis, archery, spinning, gym classes.

There is a creche with activities. Personally I wouldn't leave a 3 year old but it's there if you want it. We went with our grandaughter who was 20 months. She loved the tame scrounging chipmunks on the beach, and was ok climbing the many steps. The beach is great for sandcastles/scupltures. Watch out for the stone circle residents. We named the boldest "The Lion King" :|
nudist-beaches-t108837.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you don't want fancy nouvelle cuisine, there is a vast choice of reasonable quality food. The bookable Argentinian restaurant is a must...ask for your steak done minimum medium/well.
An Argentinian steak house is a deal clincher in itself!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:Murf/Dennis - cheers, will look into it. Only ever been to Paris and Normandy. So south of France appeals.
I hate Paris and thought most of northern France like Normandy just seemed a bit dull (and looked like Southern England but not as green and rolling as our good bits) as I drove through it as quickly as possible. Would thoroughly recommend driving to the south of France via the Alps, especially if the wife will do a shift, but maybe not with a kid.

We did it one Easter. Leaving Grenoble I think it was, drove through snow in the morning and spent the afternoon on the sunny prom in Cannes! Great motorway back through Central Massif over the Millau Viaduct, sidestepping the alps - possibly best motorway drive I've ever been on. Just don't look down.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Zimmerman wrote:
Surprised wrote:How about a mini European tour?
At one stage considering that.
Base ourselves in Dusseldorf I think it was and then do day trips on the train to Amsterdam, Bruge, Munich etc.

Lot of places are 2-3hrs on the train from there.
Just whether we could fashion a holiday out of it.

Trains are pretty good but not sure how a 3yo would enjoy travelling for 4-6 hours a day. It would ensure they slept well every night though!

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Does it have to be abroad?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I managed to last 13 years before I took mine abroad :D

Devon, Cornwall, S Wales, Yorkshire, Abersoch and Cromer mainly. Had some great holidays, although we always seemed exceptionally lucky with the weather.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

unc.si. wrote:I managed to last 13 years before I took mine abroad :D

Devon, Cornwall, S Wales, Yorkshire, Abersoch and Cromer mainly. Had some great holidays, although we always seemed exceptionally lucky with the weather.
Before kids I wouldn't have dreamt of staying in UK but now we have, have done that the last three holidays (Abersoch, North Yorks Coast and Cromer funnily enough) and it's been great. Predictable travel times you can break up at your leisure and the ability to take all your, well, the kids' "stuff" are major plus points and maybe lessens some of your food worries too.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Darbyand wrote:

Before kids I wouldn't have dreamt of staying in UK but now we have, have done that the last three holidays (Abersoch, North Yorks Coast and Cromer funnily enough) and it's been great. Predictable travel times you can break up at your leisure and the ability to take all your, well, the kids' "stuff" are major plus points and maybe lessens some of your food worries too.
Partly why I recommend France is that you can drive there and don't have up suffer Squeazyjet and awful luggage restrictions.

Having said that, for the last 3 years we have only had UK holidays with our dog (though intend to go back to France) - including Norfolk (just along from Cromer!) a couple of times.

I really don't miss foreign fields. Been there, done that, don't need or particularly want to do it again - and Britain is beautiful.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Used to go to Abersoch as a small kid. Used to have great fun there

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Anyone reading this thread who wants a child-friendly place near Abersoch, this place is fantastic:

http://gwynfrynfarm.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spent a very happy week here. It's in the sticks so you need a car to get around but brilliant for kids. We went just out of season before my eldest started school and often had the pool to ourselves every evening.

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

Zimmerman wrote:Where to go (and when)
Looking for suggestions for a family holiday (me, mrs and a 3 year old). She’s 2.5 at the moment, so will be 3 or thereabouts by the time we go.

or Spain etc.
If you do decide to go to Spain then bear in mind that if you're going outside of July to September you'll need a heated pool to really enjoy family time in the water.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Cheers Admin. Had naively assumed May/June would be sufficiently hot.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Darbyand wrote:

Yeh, doesn't seem like a holiday unless I get on a plane.

Did Cornwall this year. Was ok.
Did a tour of Scotland a few years ago (pre baby), again it was ok/good.

But doesn't seem like a proper holiday staying in the UK.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I just love going anywhere really. Love the UK, and love going abroad as well.

Been to Center Parcs, Barcelona, Edinburgh, Ypres, Gower, Edale and the Pyrenees this year on holidays / long weekends, plus Galway, Ardnamurchan, Inverness, Bergen and Reykjavik with work, and loved all of them (I even enjoy the work trips :D )

So many places still to see though

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

Zimmerman wrote:Cheers Admin. Had naively assumed May/June would be sufficiently hot.
I went to Menorca in early June with a 5 and 3 year old and there was no need for a heated pool.

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

golden bear wrote:
Zimmerman wrote:Cheers Admin. Had naively assumed May/June would be sufficiently hot.
I went to Menorca in early June with a 5 and 3 year old and there was no need for a heated pool.
Unless the night-time temps are unusually warm or the pool is very shallow or covered at night then normally swimming in an outdoor pool in South of Spain in June will still feel quite cool. Doesn't put some children (or adults) off though.

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

I've still got an apartment in the French Alps if that's something that appeals. Plenty to do in the summer but not sure just how suitable it is for a 3 year old. Also the journey there is a fairly arduous one (not selling it very well, I know!)

Let me know if you want any further details or visit http://www.tigneslove.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never plugged my apartments on FISO before and I didn't ask admin first, so feel free to remove the link if need be...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”