To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Family summer holiday

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Family summer holiday

Post by unc.si. »

Since having kids we've have had some fantastic summer holidays in the UK.

Under pressure now to go abroad this year, but not really got a clue where to go in August.

I've never really done package holidays. Always pretty much just got a flight out, booked a flight back from somewhere different and sorted everything else out on the hoof.
Teenage daughters' not all that keen on the ad hoc approach though.

So looking for some help from the FISO community:

Elder daughter likes sun
Younger daughter doesn't like it too hot
Both love water, watersports and generally 'doing stuff' although elder daughter also happy just people watching / sunbathing.
I hate mega crowded beaches and pools (but also love swimming/ watersports) and don't do sunbathing. I pretty much need to be doing something.
Kids don't like being stuck in cars for too long (which effs up my original plan of driving Route 66)
Love Disney, but no way I'm going to Florida in August and bizarrely they don't fancy my second choice of San Francisco, LA and San Diego (stopping off at Anaheim of course to see Mickey)

So, looking for somewhere that's good weather in August without being scorchio, nice beaches but also things to do and where you don't feel like your trying to get on the Central line at 8.30 every time you go to the beach/ pool. Probably Europe. £1k per person for 4 of us? (no idea if that's realistic?)

Does such a place exist??

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Re: Family summer holiday

Post by Achiles74 »

Malta, nice beaches, historical buildings, lots of water parks, plus you have Popeyes village to visit.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

Gran Canaria

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I'll have a look at Malta, cheers. Dad was stationed there in the RAF as it happens but I'd never thought of it. Only place I'd come up with was Portugal tbh.

Popeyes village is putting me off a bit though tbh.
Last edited by unc.si. on 07 Jan 2014, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Richt wrote:Gran Canaria
Cheers Rich.

Is that not going to be mega hot and packed in August though?

Always thought the Canaries were a bit chavvy and wall to wall towels on the beach, but is that just Tenerife?

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

What sort of board are you thinking Si?

I went self catering in Greece a couple of years ago. A lovely little apartment about 5 minute walk from the town centre and the beach.

(Or you could always contact Admin about his Apartment in Espana?)

Tim Bisley
FISOhead
FS Record: TFF MOTM - January 2012, TFF Tinkerman weekly winner, TFF MOTW - May 2013, Fantasy Race To Dubai 2012 - 4th

Post by Tim Bisley »

We're looking at Croatia this summer. Looks absolutely beautiful.

Pretty sure it'll be low on the chav count too.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

unc.si. wrote:
Richt wrote:Gran Canaria
Cheers Rich.

Is that not going to be mega hot and packed in August though?

Always thought the Canaries were a bit chavvy and wall to wall towels on the beach, but is that just Tenerife?
Actually, thinking about it, when I went to Gran Canaria, it was around the time of the FA Cup final, remember it being Portsmouth v Chelsea that year I think. So it would have been much earlier than August. It wasn't too hot or too chavvy but then it wouldn't be in April/May would it..... Forget that option :evil:

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

I can reccomend Popeye's village was excellent

Lots of museums in Valletta on WWII, and catacombs to explore plus Gozo is very near via boat.

Depending on what time of year you go it will either be very hot or just warm.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Achiles74 wrote:
Thanks for the insight

Have you ever heard of Mark Twain btw?

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Mexico. Best of both on the Mayan Riviera. Historical ruins. Wonderful beaches. Water sports at Tulum is stunningly tropical. 10 hr flight or I'd be there every year.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

I'd recommend Croatia, we stayed in Dubrovnik in April last year, at this place:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/hr/villa-a ... ity_target" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a superior 2 bed apartment, would set you back £1,500-£2,000 for August, and flights from Gatwick with easyjet would be about £250 each. The place has use of the facilities of a bigger hotel complex just up the road if someone does want to just sit by a massive pool, but this way you are shielded from the hoards at the breakfast buffet :roll:

Dubrovnik was stunning, plenty to do out on the water, around the old town.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

unc.si. wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:
Thanks for the insight

No, but I have heard of Thomas Jefferson Snodgrass.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Richt wrote:What sort of board are you thinking Si?

I went self catering in Greece a couple of years ago. A lovely little apartment about 5 minute walk from the town centre and the beach.

(Or you could always contact Admin about his Apartment in Espana?)
Self catering or maybe B&B. Not overly keen on being stuck in a hotel where you're forced to eat in the same place with the same people all the time.

I have actually been to Greece (Rhodes, Santorini, another island that escapes me and Athens en route from Israel back to the UK). Loved Santorini and Rhodes old town. Athens makes it on to my worlds great shitholes list :lol:

Surely we're talking mega hot though in summer? Rhodes was getting on for 30 deg in June when I was last there.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Edmondson wrote:I'd recommend Croatia, we stayed in Dubrovnik in April last year, at this place:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/hr/villa-a ... ity_target" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a superior 2 bed apartment, would set you back £1,500-£2,000 for August, and flights from Gatwick with easyjet would be about £250 each. The place has use of the facilities of a bigger hotel complex just up the road if someone does want to just sit by a massive pool, but this way you are shielded from the hoards at the breakfast buffet :roll:

Tempted, sorry to go off topic but the Mrs has a bit of a hang up about healthcare at the moment which limits where we can choose. Any view on the healthcare in Croatia Edmondson?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Edmondson wrote:I'd recommend Croatia, we stayed in Dubrovnik in April last year, at this place:

Cheers (Tim bisley as well)

Sounds worth a bit of digging around. Have heard that Dubrovnik is a nice place.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

It's been a long day Si. I meant Cyprus not Greece........

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Mark1886
Grumpy Old Gooner
FS Record: Tinkerman, average to poor

Post by Mark1886 »

If I may interrupt Edmondson;

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare ... oatia.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Achiles74 wrote:
unc.si. wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:
Thanks for the insight

No, but I have heard of Thomas Jefferson Snodgrass.
You should look up some of his quotes.

Seriously though, I am actually interested in what people have to say about this so if you don't have anything intelligent to say then on balance I'd probably prefer it if you you just effed off back to the MTIBTYT threads.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Richt wrote:It's been a long day Si. I meant Cyprus not Greece........

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Cheers Rich. Cyprus was another place that my Dad was stationed at as it happens. I've actually been there for about an hour (Larnaca) changing ferries. Da speaks highly of the place though (Cyprus, not Larnaca, which is as much as a shithole as any port town).

Close to Rhodes though,so still mega got in August surely?

(Sorry Rich, really do appreciate the input and not trying to be awkward,but greater than 30 odd degrees is a real issue for daughter2)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

WilBert wrote:Mexico. Best of both on the Mayan Riviera. Historical ruins. Wonderful beaches. Water sports at Tulum is stunningly tropical. 10 hr flight or I'd be there every year.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

cyprus temp wise is allegedly ok - http://www.holiday-weather.com/paphos/averages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but ive never found anywhere particularly nice, and with all due respect to achilles I think Malta is a good shout max temp of 31 - http://www.holiday-weather.com/malta/averages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and as a bit of everything

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

unc.si. wrote:
WilBert wrote:Mexico. Best of both on the Mayan Riviera. Historical ruins. Wonderful beaches. Water sports at Tulum is stunningly tropical. 10 hr flight or I'd be there every year.
Mexican beaches do appeal tbh, but maybe again too hot and humid in August? Leaving that aside though, is it costa del sol packed or a bit more laid back (in mid-summer)?

Been to Mexico once. Tijuana :lol: On the 'Ankora scale' of shitness it registers about 20 Ankora's. Possibly the worst place I've ever been to :lol:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Bunners wrote:cyprus temp wise is allegedly ok - http://www.holiday-weather.com/paphos/averages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but ive never found anywhere particularly nice, and with all due respect to achilles I think Malta is a good shout max temp of 31 - http://www.holiday-weather.com/malta/averages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and as a bit of everything
Cheers,

Malta does sound promising tbh.

Not sure if I might be being unrealistic thinking any holiday destination would be a 'comfortable' temperature in August, but thought (hoped) that the collective FISO experience might throw up the perfect destination.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Malta is a good call although I did lose my camera at the Popeye set.

Gozo has some nice quiet beaches.

Not sure how much choice you would have if looking for watersports etc but it was over 10 years ago that we went.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Majorca all day long.

You cannot possibly go wrong

2 hours
Best Sandy Beaches in europe
Warm seas
shallow for a 100 metres from beach
Great nightlife
Loads of families all ages
Loads to do
eff cheap
Lots of Brits

only had about 30 holidays there mostly with the kids when they grew up

Canary islands will be cooler buts its twice the distance, beaches aint a patch in comparison and sea is colder with more old gits out there like you

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

sleuth wrote:Majorca all day long.

You cannot possibly go wrong

2 hours
Best Sandy Beaches in europe
Warm seas
shallow for a 100 metres from beach
Great nightlife
Loads of families all ages
Loads to do
eff cheap
Lots of Brits

only had about 30 holidays there mostly with the kids when they grew up

Canary islands will be cooler buts its twice the distance, beaches aint a patch in comparison and sea is colder with more old gits out there like you
Blimey I agree with Dot (short haul).

We have "settled" on Pollensa old town in the North East - it has a lot a charm and quieter than Porta Pollensa just down the road. the port has lots of watersports activities and a fine beach (bit close to road). A 20 min drive though up to Formentor takes you to one of the most child friendly accessible and beautiful beaches I have come across. Some nice walks in the hills too and some nice drives in the North. It's developed in places but not hard to get away from it with a relatively short drive.

I think though the Island has pretty much anything you want. We always get a villa (I say always we have only been 3 times). £4k will get you flights and villa in August but not much else but again there are other options of course (and other villas!)

If you are interested I can dig out some more stuff just PM me.

Med in August is always going to be hot but NE is a bit cooler.

Bert.
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bert. »

unc.si. wrote:Love Disney, but no way I'm going to Florida in August and bizarrely they don't fancy my second choice of San Francisco, LA and San Diego (stopping off at Anaheim of course to see Mickey)
Anaheim is the proper Disneyland, none of the copycat Florida crap :!:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Knulpuk wrote:Med in August is always going to be hot
That would always put me off. We also avoided the school holidays for various reasons, the places we fancied were far better in June or September. It was late May when we went to Malta and that was fine (for us).

Not sure why you need a package holiday. We would often book flights and hotel separately and also hire a car from the airport. All booked in advance on t'web.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

murf wrote:
Knulpuk wrote:Med in August is always going to be hot
That would always put me off. We also avoided the school holidays for various reasons, the places we fancied were far better in June or September. It was late May when we went to Malta and that was fine (for us).

Not sure why you need a package holiday. We would often book flights and hotel separately and also hire a car from the airport. All booked in advance on t'web.
Suppose I mean a resort holiday rather than travelling around. Would probably book separately if it worked out better.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”