To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Jet Lag

A forum for discussion on Travel, Holiday & Leisure subjects.
Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Jet Lag

Post by Beerfuelledman »

So Im planning in advance of next month the best & quickest way to combat Jet lag.

I leave London at about 12 midday, arriving in Vancouver at 6pm local time (2am my time). Go to bed at 7-8pm you'll be grand I hear you cry - isn't going to happen. I'll be up until prob 2am their time - 10am next day my time. Might as well plan for it.

I'm thinking a few hrs sleep on the plane on the way over would be a good way to fuel the tank a little. But Im terrible at sleeping in a seated position. Honestly - I cod sleep the whole journey on the floor, but sit me upright and U can't get over. So maybe a couple sleeping tablets at takeoff would help?

Interested in your thoughts fellow travellers!!

Thanks

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Jet Lag

Post by Surprised »

I've always planned to arrive evening time for where I'm going. Then just have some food, a couple of beers and aim to go to bed at the same time I would if home. You will be tired so will sleep easily. When i wake in the morning then I'm on local time but I have never suffered from jet lag.
Might be useful to grab some sleep on the plane but I've never managed to do that and it hasn't really mattered.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

Have a couple of beers in London to aid sleep on the plane??

I didn't really suffer when I was working in the caribbean in the summer. My trip out involved four flights so it was just a very long day. I was up at 5am and wasn't really headed for sleep until after I'd grabbed a meal in the hotel about 10-11pm and even then wasn't really sleepy despite being up something like 23 hours.

Do you tend to suffer from jet lag?

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Whenever I have travelled East whether it be Australia or the Far East I have never suffered at all from Jet Lag.

Whenever I have travelled West, US / Mexico etc it's like I have been hit by a bus.

My tip is to go via Australia

(worst tip ever)

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

I've never had a problem with Jet lag for a 6hr ish distance, only with far east/Oz, I've found its easier going west as well, you just have to fix your head on the destination time as soon as you step on the plane and blank out what time it actually is. If you're up to 2am their time with no bother just make sure you're up at a normal rising (local) time the next morning. You'll be tired but its just like the day after doing a long day anyway.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Knulpuk wrote:Whenever I have travelled East whether it be Australia or the Far East I have never suffered at all from Jet Lag.

Whenever I have travelled West, US / Mexico etc it's like I have been hit by a bus.

My tip is to go via Australia

(worst tip ever)
:D

complete opposite for me. First time to Oz I felt like I'd been turned inside out by the time I was in HK. Didn't eat for 3 days once I got to Melbourne (I just drank :wink: - I was there for the Melbourne Cup). Once I'd done the trip a couple of times it was no real bother though, think it was just the shock of the first one.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

It is t lime I have the freedom to do bed at a time most conducive to overcoming jet lag is the big issue, or I'd be be 9pm & up and done when I woke next day. It'll be a big reunion with friends not seen in a while. Guess Im glad to be travelling Thurs, gives me a couple days before the weekend!

Dixon
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Current 4 x FISO TFF Champion - Egg Cup League 3, Block League, Super6 League and Open XI League

Post by Dixon »

I'm sure I read (was it on here?) or saw on TV that the very best way to beat Jet lag is to not eat.

here you go. Fasting is apparently the best thing to do.

http://harpers.org/blog/2012/03/the-emp ... t-jet-lag/

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Wow Chuck, I was just about to suggest the opposite - eat when the locals eat and drink plenty. Another topic I know nowt about then :oops:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Dixon wrote:I'm sure I read (was it on here?) or saw on TV that the very best way to beat Jet lag is to not eat.

here you go. Fasting is apparently the best thing to do.

http://harpers.org/blog/2012/03/the-emp ... t-jet-lag/
I fasted on a trip to NZ once. Also didn't drink anything. I then felt a lot better when I got there :D

Mainly because I was ill when I left, hence not consuming anything.

Does that help???? :lol:

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

I'm not going to be very helpful, but I'm not sure that there is a single answer.

I've sometimes taken many days to be rid of jet lag whereas on other occasions I hardly had any problem at all. I couldn't ever work out the factors which seem to affect the outcome. It seemed to be a matter of luck.

I've read the odd article but nothing that has converted me to any mode of behaviour.

But sleep is a funny thing. There have been periods of weeks in the last couple of years when I've woken regularly at 6 am irrespective of when I've gone to sleep. But that can suddenly change and I sleep until 8 am for weeks on end. The seasons are a factor but there are certainly others though goodness knows what they are.

Age is obviously a factor in sleeping but some people can sleep whenever they want to. Miss Striker due to our overseas lifestyle often had to travel long distances, in the back of the car from a baby until early teens. She could simply fall asleep for most of the journey and not bother us with plaintif cries of "are we nearly there" which some parents have to put up with even on relatively short (3-4 hr) journeys.

This apparent diversion is because she seems to adjust to any jet lag and time differences far better than anyone else I know. So perhaps there is a link between the ability to sleep well and not to be bothered by jet lag.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

I do an on-call shift about once a week after my normal day.

9am start, 9am finish. No sleep.

Usually I work through the tiredness the next day, do some jobs, keep myself busy, couple of beers early doors, and bed by 10pm. No problems.

Occasionally, I'm too shagged out and go to bed when I get home. Wake about 3pm and feel like shit for the rest of the afternoon. Can't sleep that night and am therefore knackered the next day.

Is this the same as jet lag?

btw. I was on-call last night. :evil:

(but did some plumbing today :wink: )

(now I'm having a beer :D )

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

I think there's some sense to that actually.

No really....

My original answer was going to be - just be stubborn and go to bed and wake up when you choose. We're tired at home from time to time and we operate pretty normally. Your body knows what it needs so work with the time zone you're in and you'll be grand.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Take some DMT. :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Isn't the issue with jet-lag that it is easier to stay up ie flying West, than it is to go to sleep early ie flying East - and as shown by Sted staying awake the next day...........

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Could be but on the way back from the Caribbean I had maybe two hours sleep on an overnight flight and aside from being a wee bit tired I was sound. Helped by having a shorter day due to the time difference I'd imagine.

Not that I didn't try to sleep since the in flight "entertainment" was shockingly piss poor.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

blahblah wrote:Isn't the issue with jet-lag that it is easier to stay up ie flying West, than it is to go to sleep early ie flying East - and as shown by Sted staying awake the next day...........
I could Google it, but I'm off to bed.

Good point though. Makes sense.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Direction of travel

North-south flights that do not cross time zones do not cause jet lag. Adjustment to the new time zone is easier for east-to-west travel than west-to-east. Adjusting to the new time zone takes, in days, approximately two-thirds the number of time zones crossed for eastward travel. A westward flight takes, in days, approximately half the number of time zones crossed

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Dunno about that. I travel N/S to Guernsey a lot and feel very different there. Maybe the locals having six fingers on each hand disturbs me

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Travelling can tire you out but it's not always jet lag. I used to travel to South Africa a lot for work and I was tired after a long flight but it was same time zone so no jet lag.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Last time I went to Australia I just had a couple of glasses of champagne and a lovely meal and then flattened out the bed and slept for hours.
Felt great when we landed at Sydney early in the morning. :D

Did the same coming back but still felt like crap for a week so think it all about the direction you travel .

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

How can direction affect you if travelling to Oz or anywhere 12 hrs out? It is still noon when it should be midnight. Doesn't matter if it is yesterday's noon or tomorrow's noon to your body clock.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Vancouver is almost as far west as you can go surely? Unless you're for Alaska or French Polynesia. Perhaps its that people only go 8hrs behind compared to 12hrs forward that gives the illusion that travelling East is worst.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Beerfuelledman wrote: 25 Jan 2013, 12:55 So Im planning in advance of next month the best & quickest way to combat Jet lag.

I leave London at about 12 midday, arriving in Vancouver at 6pm local time (2am my time). Go to bed at 7-8pm you'll be grand I hear you cry - isn't going to happen. I'll be up until prob 2am their time - 10am next day my time. Might as well plan for it.

I'm thinking a few hrs sleep on the plane on the way over would be a good way to fuel the tank a little. But Im terrible at sleeping in a seated position. Honestly - I cod sleep the whole journey on the floor, but sit me upright and U can't get over. So maybe a couple sleeping tablets at takeoff would help?

Interested in your thoughts fellow travellers!!

Thanks
So any tips for combatting jet lag when flying to Vancouver??

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

unc.si. wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 17:02 So any tips for combatting jet lag when flying to Vancouver??
When I and head to my pals we get the beers in and I try and last as long as I can. Even making it to 10pm in Vancouver is still 6am GMT. Then I go to bed and get up when I wake and that seems to do the trick. Ive never tried a sober variant :lol:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Just seems random to me. Sometimes suffer, sometimes it’s fine and never really work out a pattern. Main thing seems to be time of landing. If I land in the evening it’s normally ok. Early morning landings (usually flying east) are normally worse.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 21:02 Early morning landings (usually flying east) are normally worse.
Yep. The "sleep on the plane" never worked for me.....

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 21:34
unc.si. wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 21:02 Early morning landings (usually flying east) are normally worse.
Yep. The "sleep on the plane" never worked for me.....
I'm really good at falling asleep just before we land, shortly followed by a slightly startled waking up as we hit the runway.

Flying West is often a night flight for me, so I can sleep, flying back is usually a daytime flight, so I'm landing at 6.00am local time but with my body just thinking its time to go to sleep.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Travel, Holidays & Leisure”