To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

UK Board Games Championships

A forum for discussions on Games such as Xbox, Playstation, Su Doku, Crosswords, Wordle, Quordle, Centordle & Board Games
Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Re: UK Board Games Championships

Post by Vid »

Do you have a FISO t-shirt to wear? If not, why not???

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Vid wrote:Do you have a FISO t-shirt to wear? If not, why not???

And a FISO mug to drink from during the games

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

WHATEVER or whoever :) which game would you recommend for kids aged 10 or under ? I'm thinking of getting them interested in something a bit different. They've had the usual monopoly, junior scrabble stuff.

Key points would be one of them is ten, one is eight. Both have been able to learn scrabble/monopoly with no probs (obviously needed an adult to do the banking) and they can hold the interest ok.

I'd like it to be for the family to play over Christmas, but also something that they will play themselves with their friends in holidays

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Poker. Hold 'em, or Omaha. :D

WHATEVER
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Under construction

Post by WHATEVER »

Dennisthemenace wrote:WHATEVER or whoever :) which game would you recommend for kids aged 10 or under ?
Ironicly my reccomendation would be Carcassonne and not because I came ninth in the world championships. :shock: :D

You can pick up the base set for £12 to £15. It has easy rules and scales well from 2 to 5 players. And if they really get into it you can purchase expansions for under £10. (Most of the expansions are not very good, but I would reccomend "Inns and Cathedrals", "Traders and Builders" and "Abbey and Mayor" but as I say try the base game out first.) Plays in about 30-40 minutes.

Another game that works well is Settlers of Catan. This game is only for three or four players. It has a lot of player interaction and a clever catch the leader mechanism. The rules are more complicated that Carcassonne but much simpler than Monopoly. I have known 8 year olds to play it fine. A modular board makes sure that every game is different. Plays in 60-90 minutes.

Ticket to Ride (I think the Europe edition is best for family play) is another excellent choice. Very simple rules but elegant fast moving gameplay. This games takes 20-30 minutes per player to complete.

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

Ticket to ride is a great game. good for the kids too

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Many thanks to WHATEVER and everyone else for the advice on here. I googled the games that have been recommended which led me to Boardgamegeek and of course Amazon. Through the reviews I decided on two 'co-operation' games that could be played as a family versus the game. I never knew such games existed ! But they both look like great family fun and will help introduce the joys of board games to the family and get them away from the Playstation for a while.

I think they will love the first one I chose:
Forbidden Island - http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6524 ... den-island" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reviews were good and it looks a bargain for under £15 on Amazon

I thought they could progress from that one to something a little more taxing and therefore chose:
Pandemic - http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549/pandemic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I felt they would appreciate this once they got a bit bored of the other.

I think next year will be the time to introduce them to the more individually competitive games and basically I have their Christmas presents tied up for a few years :D until they're in their teens :( (one is currently 10, the other is 8). They will know me as the board game uncle 8-)

Carcassone is first on the list for next year and probably Ticket to Ride: Europe.

Once again many thanks everyone and I will let you know how we all get on :D

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan »

Cooperative games can be fun, I've heard good things about Pandemic but don't know Forbidden Island. If you want a coop game with a twist, Saboteur is fun: you're dwarves digging to find gold, but one of you is actually a saboteur trying to stop the others - but you don't know who. I've had good experiences playing this with the kids:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9220/saboteur" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WHATEVER
Grumpy Old Man

Post by WHATEVER »

Good choices - both well regarded. As I understand it Forbidden Island is a light version of Pandemic, although I have not played Pandemic as I dislike co-operative games.

WHATEVER
Grumpy Old Man

Post by WHATEVER »

Having said I dislike co-operative games I have now order a Pandemic clone on kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/113 ... board-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

How did you do in this years Championship?

WHATEVER
Grumpy Old Man

Post by WHATEVER »

Surprised wrote:How did you do in this years Championship?
Did I forget to say :oops:

I came 9th out of 36, the best ever performance by a UK representative. :D

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

WHATEVER wrote:

Well done! Top 5 next year!!!

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

WHATEVER wrote:

Excellent!

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

You mean I've been listening to advice from a bloke who can only finish 9th ? :shock:

:D :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

No idea what it is all about or even if it is a good price but I noticed a Carcassone game expansion kit thingy in today's Amazon Xmas deals and thought of you lot...

Deal ends at NOON UK time

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BJLUGNK/r ... =451354907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£10.39

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Games incl. Video Games”