To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Championship Manager memories

A forum for discussions on Games such as Xbox, Playstation, Su Doku, Crosswords, Wordle, Quordle, Centordle & Board Games
First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

Digging out CM03-04 tonight to reinstall and waste my life on for a few hours a week. 03-04 was the best of the series in my opinion and the 2D was certainly better than the '3D' attempts afterwards.

What are your best memories of the game? Did you sign any cheap 'wonderkids' that powered you through successful promotions?

My 30+ goal a season man with Hull City was Orri Freyr Oskarsson who you could pick up for £22,000 at the start of the game 8-)

hornet
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Championship Manager memories

Post by hornet »

Up until a few seasons ago I had played every version since 1993's first release on the Amiga. Moving on to the superior Football Manager after the split about 10 years ago.

Spent sooo many hours playing this series! The only reason I dont play it anymore is that its too addictive - so many times in the past i've been sat at my pc at 2am saying to myself 'Just one more game' !!

Going further back does anyone remember Football Manager on the speccy?
Then there was Player Manager on the Amiga, which combined Kick off with a football manager aspect - anyone remember playing as the legendary Alex Reeves ?
After that came The Manager on the Amiga - the first in depth manager game where you could change the training, choose sponsors and extend your stadium. Quality.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

This has reminded me I've got a skinned down version someone wrote on on excel 2004, not played it in years. Handy for wasting plenty of time at work, just dug it out and I think thats lunchtime sorted.

Just too big to upload but if anyone wants it PM me your details.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Moist von Lipwig wrote:This has reminded me I've got a skinned down version someone wrote on on excel 2004, not played it in years. Handy for wasting plenty of time at work, just dug it out and I think thats lunchtime sorted.

Just too big to upload but if anyone wants it PM me your details.
I was lost at skinned down version?

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

hornet wrote:
Spent sooo many hours playing this series! The only reason I dont play it anymore is that its too addictive - so many times in the past i've been sat at my pc at 2am saying to myself 'Just one more game' !!

Know the feeling :lol:

You must have some recommended players from all those hours?

hornet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hornet »

Cant remember any from the version you are going to play - too far back!

One that sticks in my mind is from a few years back - I bought Lewandowski as a teenager, made me millions when I sold him. Guess he sticks in my mind as he actually turned out good in real life.
I bought a kid called Bruno something once for a couple of hundred grand - sold him to Barca for £22m.

I also once bought my mates brother who played for Colchester, but he was rubbish.

Best memory is winning the Champions League final with Watford a year after losing the final.

I got really geeky at this for a while too - I remember researching the best coaches and training schedule combinations to get full stars on all your staff - essential if you wanted your players to improve. Getting too deep into tactics/formations. Downloading the logo/badge/kit packs so the game looked better - much better to have the real club logos etc rather than the generic ones it came with. Dont know if it is still like that but it looked much better after doing that.
Also used to 'trade' finds with a mate at work - we would swop names of quality youngsters we had found and compare how they developed.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

wow does bring back memories

a couple that spring to my mind

Cherno Samba - he rocked in every game I played
Chucks Nwokwo (spelling might be a bit off here!)

I also signed some brazillian striker called Tulio for Wigan (back in the day) - he got me all the way to the top - then was rubbish lol

Ill keep thinking.........

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Supat Rungratsamee from Portsmouth
Daniel Braathen from somewhere in Norway

but the king for me was Orri Freyr Oskarsson signed from a team called Por in Iceland.

Who did you always start with in the lowest league?

I'm going to try climb the leagues with team which has lowest budget on the game.

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

I remember winning the treble with Portsmouth. I think I retired after that.

Shame Championship Manager have never released a decent app. I thought there would have been great potential on the iPad. The versions I have played didn't seem anywhere near as good as the old PC version.

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

I always thought the games were a con, you could play a match - then if you lost, crash it and then replay it without changing anything and the score would be completely different, indicating a random element to the gameplay which negated the point in trying to be skillful

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

I remember always buying Ibrahima Bakayoko - Attacking Midfielder/Forward (centre) - in his pre-Everton days. Think it was from Montpellier, which would make it CM 97/98? He was absolute mustard. What do the CM researchers know, eh?

If only I'd have put as much effort into my schoolwork as I did trying to guide Wigan Athletic from the lower leagues to being European giants. Those games ruined my life!

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

moonlightdribbler wrote:I remember always buying Ibrahima Bakayoko - Attacking Midfielder/Forward (centre) - in his pre-Everton days. Think it was from Montpellier, which would make it CM 97/98? He was absolute mustard. What do the CM researchers know, eh?

If only I'd have put as much effort into my schoolwork as I did trying to guide Wigan Athletic from the lower leagues to being European giants. Those games ruined my life!
I used to sign him as well and was dead exited when we signed him in real life.......mine was Carlisle (as well as wigan :lol: )

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

CM99 was the first to feature Leek Town. God, I hated the way researchers had to submit the data!

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

hornet wrote:Up until a few seasons ago I had played every version since 1993's first release on the Amiga. Moving on to the superior Football Manager after the split about 10 years ago.

Going further back does anyone remember Football Manager on the speccy?
Then there was Player Manager on the Amiga, which combined Kick off with a football manager aspect - anyone remember playing as the legendary Alex Reeves ?
After that came The Manager on the Amiga - the first in depth manager game where you could change the training, choose sponsors and extend your stadium. Quality.
I had all of these versions and Player Manager was my favourite.

Championship Manager 93 provided me with many sleepless nights. Highlights include Nii Lamptey being the new messiah alongside Chris Bart-Williams and Giggs. A killer frontline of Giggs, Baggio, Vialli and erm Duncan Ferguson won me lots in Champ Man Italia which was out at the same time.

I did control 4 teams in the 93 version which took ages. I used Huddersfield as my feeder team to Man Utd and won the European Cup with them.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Bunners wrote: I used to sign him as well and was dead exited when we signed him in real life.......mine was Carlisle (as well as wigan :lol: )
I used to go Everton a lot obviously, and you could always tell the creators were Evertonians as they always seems to make our crap teams from the 90s much better on the game than they really should have been. They even managed to make Slaven Bilic half decent.

Mo Bot wrote: Championship Manager 93 provided me with many sleepless nights. Highlights include Nii Lamptey being the new messiah alongside Chris Bart-Williams and Giggs. A killer frontline of Giggs, Baggio, Vialli and erm Duncan Ferguson won me lots in Champ Man Italia which was out at the same time.
CM '93. Chris Bart-Williams. Now there's a shout. He really was ace!

Another name from a later game in the series - Tommy Svindal Larsen (Stabæk). A left-footed midfield wizard from Norway. on the cheap! I wonder if he realises how great he was on a computer game?

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

Over a dozen posts and not one mention of Tonton Zola Moukoko

the Chris Bart Williams post also brought back many memories

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

Tonton Zola Moukoko - what alegend. Even got him in some publicity for an anniversary didn't they?

In an early version of the game, a mate discovered Natipong Sritong-In as a star striker at Thai Farmers. Some years later in a cab in Thailand he had a chat with the driver about the Thai legend that was Natipong :lol:

Karrde
Sir Stormtrooper
FS Record: Profitable

Post by Karrde »

I have a copy of this book and its well worth it. Sections on legendary players - some of the real versions give interviews too. Other stories. Havent read it in ages, I think I will have to dig it out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Manage ... 0956497179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

I won everything with Newcastle when I got to 2009 on 2003 game

Jagduracell
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd TFF World Cup 2014, 8th in TFF Fantasy Lions and a few TFF and TFC weekly wins

Post by Jagduracell »

Steve Bruce obviously plays the ios version from last season because Abel Hernandez is an absolute legend on it. I've often wondered if lower league managers use it as a scouting tool?

I seem to recall Robert Pires in his pre-arsenal days (Metz?) being both expensive and awesome!

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

I think Bruno Cheyrou was half decent in the olden days. Great game. I remember there was a Millwall teenager I had to pick up early on who always became implausibility good.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Mystery wrote:I think Bruno Cheyrou was half decent in the olden days. Great game. I remember there was a Millwall teenager I had to pick up early on who always became implausibility good.
The great, Cherno Samba 8-)

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Jagduracell wrote:Steve Bruce obviously plays the ios version from last season because Abel Hernandez is an absolute legend on it. I've often wondered if lower league managers use it as a scouting tool?

It ain't just the lower league managers!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ports.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MDrec
Kevin and Perry

Post by MDrec »

Maxim Tsigalko on 01/02. Legend.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

The Toon Man wrote:
Mystery wrote:I think Bruno Cheyrou was half decent in the olden days. Great game. I remember there was a Millwall teenager I had to pick up early on who always became implausibility good.
The great, Cherno Samba 8-)
That's the fella. Awesome :D

mike_d99
Grumpy Old Man
Location: cut down like a vegetable by your hard kickin mother who's an animal
FS Record: 269th TFF 08/09, 11th TFFO 08/09, 49th TFFE 08/09, 50th Elephant 10/11, 92nd Sky Sports 10/11

Post by mike_d99 »

Kennedy Bakiroglu, Kim Kallstrom and Tonton Zola Moukoko were three players I always tried to sign as soon as I started the game as they always turned into superstars. Javier Saviola was amazing too but I could never sign him as I always started in Division 4. There's loads more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I was really surprised/disappointed when Kim Kallstrom turned out to be just a decent player in real life.

I used to be so addicted that I preferred staying in playing it to seeing my girlfriend :lol: Used to spend entire weekends playing it.

Lost interest when CM4 came out. I had a close to top-spec PC but it ran so slowly it was unbearable.

Toyed with the idea of playing it again for years but always held off as I remembered how much it swallowed my life. Finally caved with FM2011 and lo and behold, I'm currently on Season 2030/31 with Crewe Alexandra in a save that's been going on for three years :lol:

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Javier Saviola my main forward for a while with Newcastle, signed him from riverplate

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

hornet wrote:Going further back does anyone remember Football Manager on the speccy?
Lost most of my youth to this game. On more than one occasion my dad flicked the fuse out downstairs because i wouldnt respond to their calls.

I think i progressed on to Football Director (also on the spectrum) as the next phase. Again ploughed plenty of time in to that.

I also remember a game where you combined the computer with playing cards (players and their ratings on them) c1986? Im thinking that as i seem to have memories of Nico Claesen (sp) and also loving the Danish Hummels kit. Not sure the two memories are linked (only in terms of time)

10Hughes
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 10Hughes »

Back in the Amiga days (around 1994) I always started in the lower leagues. If you could get Andy (Andrew) Booth from Huddersfield or Danny Carter from Leyton Orient you were always on to a winner.

I also remember winning the FA Cup with Preston who were then in the 4th tier, with Gareth Ainsworth scoring 46 in 47. (It's amazing how these stats stick in your head for 20 years). Easily my best achievement that!

Ardrageen
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Retired from FPL. Used to be ok at it. 120th FPL. 1st FFS HOF.

Post by Ardrageen »

hornet wrote:Going further back does anyone remember Football Manager on the speccy?
Football Manager on Spectrum was amazing. Those graphics and the sound effects!

I spent most of my teenage years playing Multi-Player Soccer Manager and Emlyn Hughes International Soccer. Happy days.

I played Championship Manager 2008 up to last year. I had to stop and delete it from the computer. Loved it but it took over my life once I discovered you could edit all the player's skills and club's finances etc.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Games incl. Video Games”