To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Harry potter

A forum for discussion on the 'finer' things in life.
FingerPass
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Pick Quick Champion 13/14 & 15/16, 5AS Europa League Champion (1. FC Köln) 17/18, 5AS H2H Champion (1. FC Köln) 18/19

Re: Harry potter

Post by FingerPass »

Because the reason Buckbead is never actually killed is due to H&H being told to go back in time... They can't nip upstairs because to get Sirius out, they need Buckbeak right? Except at this point, Buckbeak is with the H&H that time travelled already.

Hence why it's a causal time loop. Event A causes event B which in fact causes event A... ad infinitum. It's like the chicken and the egg scenario, except in this case the answer is both came first because everything has happened. And it works within a 'closed' timeline. We only get problems when we try to work it out from a point within the timeline/think we can change events.
Why would he do this if there is no point?
Ah well now we're getting to one of the real philosophical questions to do with this theory of time. It's the classic problem of fate. Why do anything if everything is determined (and some people actually claim to believe this, though in my opinion they're just fools who haven't bothered to think things through)? This question pops up in other branches of philosophy. I did my dissertation on the topic of whether a belief in God is compatible with a belief in free will, though you don't even need to consider God - you get similar problems by considering the case of causal determinism in itself.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Groomyd wrote:Why did they need to go back in time to do that?

Why would Dumbledore not simply say that buck beak had not actually been killed and that they should nip upstairs and sort it out?
They have to go back in time to create the history that had already been made.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Go to the cover.

Look at author's name

Do you consider her an author with a, intelligence; b integrity; c some mad woman riding the crest of the populist wave and wanting to get enough books out there before the waved died so she never had to write again

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Well it seems that i needed a degree in philosophy and time travel to have a view

So not as simple as some on here would have us believe :wink:

Unless of course the concept of time loops is utter bollix :shock:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Groomyd wrote:Well it seems that i needed a degree in philosophy and time travel to have a view

So not as simple as some on here would have us believe :wink:

Unless of course the concept of time loops is utter bollix :shock:
Or you could just be reading too much into minor plot details of a throwaway kiddies' book :wink:

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Listen, i know a rubbish defence when i see one

(insert your own Arsenal gag here)

FingerPass
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Pick Quick Champion 13/14 & 15/16, 5AS Europa League Champion (1. FC Köln) 17/18, 5AS H2H Champion (1. FC Köln) 18/19

Post by FingerPass »

It's okay Groomyd. I reckon the way Arsene keeps unearthing these gems of a player is that he actually is being fed info from his future self who has already witnessed these players in their prime, and has travelled back in time to help his past self build a team of superstars. Unfortunately, by interacting with his past self, future Arsene has broken Dumbledore's cardinal rule that he mustn't be seen. Hence why he's tried to cover his tracks and fix his mistake by making sure 'past' Arsene keeps telling everyone he hasn't seen anything.

I literally just made this up on the spot so shush if there are inconsistencies.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Are you telling me Arsene knew Arshavin would be great before being weighed down by the size of his arse! :shock:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Groomyd wrote:Are you telling me Arsene knew Arshavin would be great before being weighed down by the size of his arse! :shock:
Arshavin was going to be great but for the butterfly effect caused by future Wenger stopping present day Wenger treading on a cabbage white butterfly. The cabbages were therefore ravished, Arshavin ate less salad and instead went to MacDonalds where he grew a fat arse and hence turned crap.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

There is only 1 "a" in McDonalds :wink:

(The books are a load of drivel - well OK fantasy ramblings........)

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Post by Finsimbo »

A Harry Potter thread of 3 pages........ :shock:
eff me

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Finsimbo wrote:A Harry Potter thread of 3 pages........ :shock:
eff me
I'm going back in time to delete Groomyd's original post. Actually I've already done it so we aren't really here.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Arts, Literature & Cultural Events”