To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Harry potter

A forum for discussion on the 'finer' things in life.
Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Harry potter

Post by Groomyd »

Just started reading these to my daughter who is 8

The whole Harry Potter thing passed me by before so its all new to me

We have now read the first three books

Problem is I don't understand something about the Prisoner of Azkaban :?

At the end of the book Harry, Hermione and sirius Black are approached by dementors which are about to suck out their souls with a dementors kiss. Harry attempts a spell to repel them but it fails. As he slips from consciousness he thinks he sees his father on the far side of a lake create the spell and the dementors leave.

Later he goes back in time and witnesses the events again. But the spell does not come and he has to do the spell himself to save himself ad his friends.
:?

This is the bit I don't get. How did it happen the first time around?

Any potterfisoers explain?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Harry potter

Post by Surprised »

The spell did not come from his father in the first place. Before he fainted he though it was his fathers spell but when he goes back in time he realised it was himself and his patronus had taken the form his father's had.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

From book 4 onwards it might be a bit much for an 8 year old. Good luck though.

Start of book 4 drags a bit and is uneccesary (IMO when Rowling got too big for her boots and her editors didn't rein her in)

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Surprised wrote:The spell did not come from his father in the first place. Before he fainted he though it was his fathers spell but when he goes back in time he realised it was himself and his patronus had taken the form his father's had.
Yes, I get that. But why didn't it happen the second time round when the "back in time" Harry had to step in and make it happen?

He was watching himself behind the bush hoping to see his Dad - but nothing happened. So he had to do it himself the second time around.

The "back in time" Harry wasn't there the first time and yet it happened the first time, but not the second :?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Groomyd wrote:The "back in time" Harry wasn't there the first time and yet it happened. :?
He was - it was the back in time Harry every time (easy trick used a lot in Doctor Who and probably Back To the Future)

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

So at one time they all had their souls sucked out?

I still don't get the chronology :?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

The first time ,when Harry fainted, the person he saw was his future self. It was not his father.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

It was device for the plot!

Most books have them - they are called plot lines.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Maybe your daughter could explain it to you? :lol:

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Groomyd wrote:
Surprised wrote:
Yes, I get that. But why didn't it happen the second time round when the "back in time" Harry had to step in and make it happen?

He was watching himself behind the bush hoping to see his Dad - but nothing happened. So he had to do it himself the second time around.

The "back in time" Harry wasn't there the first time and yet it happened the first time, but not the second :?
Its a paradox, practically every time travel based tale has one in somewhere.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Surprised wrote:The first time ,when Harry fainted, the person he saw was his future self. It was not his father.
Nope, still don't get it.

In real time Harry from the future is not there. But the spell works with Harry thinking he saw his father. This later turns out to be him as he resembles his father.

But it does not explain how it happened the first time.

In fact Harry goes back in time to change the past (releasing the hypogryff) and changing the past.

But he didn't have to change the past with the dementors. Yet he appeared to have to do so.

So what was the the chronology? :?

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Groomyd wrote:
Surprised wrote:
again, its a paradox. linear in time, there couldn't have been a harry to cast the petronas to save the 'dementored harry' the very first time this happened, there is no explanation.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
Groomyd wrote:
Surprised wrote:

Its a paradox, practically every time travel based tale has one in somewhere.
the Star Trek film didnt

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

As others have said, you're arguiing semantics of time travel and paradoxes, rather than a specific point in a book

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Achiles74 wrote:
the Star Trek film didnt

which one? there are 11

Actually, the most recent star trek film itself creates a paradox for a lot of preceding star trek stories

http://www.tunequest.org/star-trek-2009 ... /20090604/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but we're getting way too nerdy now.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:
the Star Trek film didnt

which one? there are 11

Actually, the most recent star trek film itself creates a paradox for a lot of preceding star trek stories

http://www.tunequest.org/star-trek-2009 ... /20090604/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but we're getting way too nerdy now.

Not a expert on Trek but the film with Kirk where they came back to modern age earth and rescued some Whales to take to the future.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Groomyd wrote:
Surprised wrote:The first time ,when Harry fainted, the person he saw was his future self. It was not his father.
Nope, still don't get it.

In real time Harry from the future is not there. But the spell works with Harry thinking he saw his father. This later turns out to be him as he resembles his father.

But it does not explain how it happened the first time.

In fact Harry goes back in time to change the past (releasing the hypogryff) and changing the past.

But he didn't have to change the past with the dementors. Yet he appeared to have to do so.

Predestination paradox.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Thanks

So it couldn't have happened - thought I might have been missing something.

How rather disappointing! I find that a really lazy story mechanism :?

Zoolander
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Yahoo Fantasy Golf FISO Champion 2009 & 2012, TFF MOTM winner Jan 2012, Tinkerman weekly winner, OFL Golf 2012 - 8th, Fantasy Race To Dubai 2012 - 4th,

Post by Zoolander »

Groomyd wrote:Thanks

So it couldn't have happened - thought I might have been missing something.

How rather disappointing! I find that a really lazy story mechanism :?

:shock: it's a children's book about wizards and witches :lol:

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Zoolander wrote:

Yes, I'm reading the series to my daughter who loves them :?

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

I always felt that incorporating a time travel element into the third book was a mistake, if such a thing was possible then why couldn't others do the same thing to right past wrongs (or vice versa) :?: .

As for the execution of the time travel concept, I don't think there's anything particularly difficult to understand regarding how events in the third book play out :? .

I can only suggest to those that do experience problems getting their heads around what happens that it may be better for them to stay the hell away from 'Triangle' :lol: ...

Zoolander
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Yahoo Fantasy Golf FISO Champion 2009 & 2012, TFF MOTM winner Jan 2012, Tinkerman weekly winner, OFL Golf 2012 - 8th, Fantasy Race To Dubai 2012 - 4th,

Post by Zoolander »

Groomyd wrote:
Zoolander wrote:

Yes, I'm reading the series to my daughter who loves them :?

Sorry, you've misunderstood. I wasn't ridiculing you for reading the Harry Potter books (admittedly, that's what it reads like).

I found your comment about it being a lazy story mechanism amusing given the books are full of them.

I've read all of them myself and the story is enjoyable but full of lazy cliches and 'mechanisms'.

As you were...

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Razorback wrote:
As for the execution of the time travel concept, I don't think there's anything particularly difficult to understand regarding how events in the third book play out :? .
Sorry to come back to it then but could you explain it? :?

Because it was not possible for Harry to witness anything different happening to the first time things happened when he went back in time.

Change them yes, but not witness them differently and then intervene.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Groomyd wrote:
Razorback wrote:

Because it was not possible for Harry to witness anything different happening to the first time things happened when he went back in time.

But nothing different happened.
A time traveller attempting to alter the past, intentionally or not, would only be fulfilling their role in creating history as we know it, not changing it.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Yes but "Back in time" Harry wasnt there the first time around ..........but it happened and it happened without a back in time Harry

In the same plot line they DO change the past by releasing Buckbeak .........

I understand the concept of the predestination paradox - but it's essentially sic fi bull isn't it? It's not internally coherent and as moist says, there is no explanation.

That's fine, but it devalues the plot and is up there with "it was all a dream"

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

It's a kids book about wizards ffs :lol:

Poor 8 year old not even being allowed to enjoy a bedtime story. Seriously though, throw it in the bin with Goldilocks because bears don't sleep in beds.

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

Groomyd wrote:
Razorback wrote:

He didn't witness anything different, he (like the reader/viewer) just didn't see who cast the protronus and therefore didn't realize at that time he was saving himself.

Same thing as the werewolf running towards the howl of another werewolf, at the time it happened they didn't realize that it was Hermoine imitating a werewolf howl.

I'm pretty sure that this thread is a bit of a wind up to be honest :roll: ...

Razorback
FISO Knight

Post by Razorback »

Groomyd wrote:Yes but "Back in time" Harry wasnt there the first time around.
Yes he was :roll: ...

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Why the :roll:

How could he have been there?

Does it mean that we as readers experience the journey back in time in two separate ways?

The first time we witness harry back in time but NOT the release of buck beak, then we witness it again but with the release of buck beak.

Because that's the issue isn't it?

They go back and do TWO things, but the patronus is witnessed by the reader the first time and the release of buck beak only the second time?

Razorback
FISO Knight

Post by Razorback »

Bored now :roll: ...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Arts, Literature & Cultural Events”