To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Top Five Books

A forum for discussion on the 'finer' things in life.
uncsimes
Grumpy Old Uncle, smells faintly of wee?

Post by uncsimes »

Pouzar wrote:Every time I tried to make out a top 5 book list it ended up sounding pretentious. So to Hell with Ulysses, Unc, much as I love it. 'History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.' Here's 5 I just plain like.
1. A Walk in the Woods. by Bill Bryson. I still laugh when I think of this book, the story of Bryson's cracked attempt to walk the Applachian Trial with his lunatic companion. The passage on bear attacks is unforgettable.
2. Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer (sp?) - One of the most difficult books to put down even for a minute. He grabbed me by the throat on page 1 and I didn't want him to let go till it was done. I felt like I was in that storm on Everest fighting for my life.
3. Handcarved Coffins - Truman Capote. You know about In Cold Blood. This is Capote's other true crime story. Not book length. You can find it in his collection entitled Songs for Chameleons. You will never forget it.
4. The Maltese Falcon - Dashiel Hammett, and The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. I just love these guys. Hammett stands the test of time better but I still enjoy Chandler's crazed prose more. I have read every word these guys have ever published.
5. A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush - Eric Newby. Great story of quitting a stupid job on a whim and heading off for adventure in the Hindu Kush. It's always been my secret dream although I'd prefer Ladakh.
Quoting Stephen Deadalus eh Pouzar - life doesn't get any more pretentious than that! :wink: Good memory for remembering that I'm a fan of that annoying, difficult but beautiful work of art. Difficult to name Ulysses as a favourite really though - some passages are nigh on impossible to read. It makes up for it with some fantastic sections and the final words of Molly Bloom are just about the best piece of writing I've seen. The final chapter is a triumph, and the final paragraph is the best ending to a book ever. You're right though - naming Ulysses as a favourite book is as pretentious as it gets!

Great choice of books. A Walk in the Woods didn't get as good reviews as some of Brysons other books but I think its great - read it about 7 years ago and bought it for my dad to read last Christmas.

I love Raymond Chandler as well, although haven't read any for probably about 10 years. Read Farewell my lovely and had to go and buy everything else he'd written straight after.

I've not read Into Thin Air but remember the controversy in the climbing press about the 1996 expeditions. The loss of Hall and Fischer was a shock to the climbing world and the debate about bottled oxygen runbled on for a long while. One of the sherpa's who was criticised for not using oxygen wrote and published a different account of the expedition, which is probably worth reading as well. Called The Climb (can't remember the sherpa in question - think the book was probably ghost written though).

'This game of ghosts' is worth a read if you like mountaineering literature as well, although its a bit more parochial, centred around the Sheffield scene - gives a good insight into climbers and what makes the tick.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

A Walk In The Woods is my favourite Bryson book too. Bryson is great at describing idiots, especially himself.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

American Psycho had me gripped too. Quite a good attack on the self righteous American right......... I found it more entertaining than shocking, and it was shocking(ish).

Alice in Wonderland - excellent polemic etc. It is a serious piece of work disguised as a kids story.

Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. Ingenious.

Candide by Voltaire. Hilarious attack on the Nineteeth Century European Right.... (Hum, a theme in this post??)

Radical Joe. Can't remember who wrote it, but it is a biography of Joseph Chamberlain, the father of Neville et al. He was one this country's greatest politicians who hardly anyone has even heard about.

Wyld
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 25th in the old BBC comp, perpetual mini-league champion...er, that is it

Post by Wyld »

Hard to say which books I have enjoyed the most, but ones that spring to mind (other than The Dice Man, Catch 22, and Animal Farm) are:

English Passengers - Matthew Neale
The Affirmation - Christopher Priest
The Leaky Establishment - David Langford*
The French Lieutenant's Woman - John Fowles
The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night Time - Mark Haddon
Revelation Space - Alastair Reynolds
The Last Coyote -Michael Connelly

And the two I just finished, both of which were a hoot:

Skinny Dip - Carl Hiaasen
May Contain Nuts - John O'Farrell

*Probably hard to find this nowadays, but well worth the hunt.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Post by DixieDean »

Wyld wrote:*Probably hard to find this nowadays, but well worth the hunt.
People should check out this site... a friend of mine uses it all the time.

uncsimes
Grumpy Old Uncle, smells faintly of wee?

Post by uncsimes »

DixieDean wrote:
Wyld wrote:*Probably hard to find this nowadays, but well worth the hunt.
People should check out this site... a friend of mine uses it all the time.
what site?

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Post by DixieDean »

Pouzar
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd in TFFO 2005

Post by Pouzar »

Great thread. Lots of good suggestions and observations. That Deadalus quote was just for you Unc. It's always been one of my favorite lines from Ulysses. Kind of sums up the Irish situation. To understand the Irish, you must know the history. To solve their problems they then have to forget it.
I used a variation of it in a story I wrote years ago about a woman who had one kid murdered and another killed in an accident. The lede was something like "The death of two daughters in less than a year is a nightmare from which (whatever ner name is) is unable to awake. " No one caught the reference.
The Sherpa you referred to who wrote The Climb was a world class Russian mountaineer Ivan Bourkiev (something like that). Krakaur criticzed him for largely ignoring and looking down on his clients because they weren't pros. So he climbed without oxygen, descended too early and was unable to help when disaster struck. I read his book and his defence but the weight of the evidence supports Krakeur's account. I also read another book from one of the surviving climbers.
The Game of Ghosts sounds interesting to me. I love climbing books although I'm more of a walker/hiker/trekker/tramper than a climber. I've been hiking in Nepal a couple of times, walked the Inca trail in Peru, the circuit hike of the Ruwenzoris in Uganda, the Mulange Plateau in Malawi, much of the Canadian Rockies and even the Cotswold Way! Would love to do the coast-to-coast walk in England some day.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2nd YTM 09/10; 3 TFFO Top 10 finishes; 6th TFCI 2008.

Post by AkNotSpur »

If you're a keen walker Pouzar (or tramper as they're called in Kiwi), you really must come to NZ some time and do some of the famous trails. The Milford Track is often referred to as the "world's greatest walk"; it's a tad over-subscribed these days, but there are heaps of others in very diverse landscapes and terrains.

On the subject of travel books, have you read any Dervla Murphy? An inspiration for the likes of us in that she's a good example of attitude triumphing over age as she only became a traveller in middle age, after the death of a dependent parent. Full Tilt, her first one in which she travels overland from Europe to India by bicycle, is my favourite.

Pouzar
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd in TFFO 2005

Post by Pouzar »

I read Full Tilt years ago and many of Dervla's other books since. She's not a great writer but has more balls than any three men I know. I liked In Ethiopia with a Mule. She's getting a little cranky as she gets older, but what a traveller! I also liked the John Hillaby series of walking books, if antone's read them.
Yes, I know about tramping in NZ and would love to do some. I've got the relevant LP guide. I may be getting past my totally crazed travelling days, crossing the Sahara on the back of local trucks, hitchhiking through Congo etc, sleeping wild in Mali and Mauritania. I'm still up for NZ however. I'd love to visit sometime. I've always connected with Kiwis and had a few I met in Africa come by for a visit.
As for Gerrard, I've been waiting for that shoe to drop for weeks. Yes, Wednesday sounds like a goal plus kc goodbye Pouzar day. LFC better get a CS so I'm not completely wiped out.

Mark R
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mark R »

cherylhoney wrote:I'm currently reading a book called The Magician. When I've finished that I think I'll give The Dice Man a go.
Think you may need to read Darkness at Sethanon and Silverthorn to complete the trilogy first! :wink:

Mark R
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mark R »

murf wrote:Shake a dice:

1. Lie and pretend I've never actually read it
2. Tell Groomyd he is an ignoramous who obviously didn't get it
3. Pretend to be Luke Rhenhart and challenge Groomyd to a fight
4. Just resort to slagging off Arsenal's season
5. Ignore it
6. Try and shag the next woman I see
Or

1. Try and shag the next woman I see
2. Try and shag the next woman I see
3. Try and shag the next woman I see
4. Try and shag the next woman I see
5. Try and shag the next woman I see

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Mark R wrote:
murf wrote:Shake a dice:

1. Lie and pretend I've never actually read it
2. Tell Groomyd he is an ignoramous who obviously didn't get it
3. Pretend to be Luke Rhenhart and challenge Groomyd to a fight
4. Just resort to slagging off Arsenal's season
5. Ignore it
Or

1. Try and shag the next woman I see
2. Try and shag the next woman I see
3. Try and shag the next woman I see
4. Try and shag the next woman I see
5. Try and shag the next woman I see
Don't think you are quite getting into the spirit of the dice thing......

Mark R
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mark R »

Many a mention for LotR. Many a time have a read a cover of a book with "comparable to Tolkien at his best" on it. Liars! However George R R Martins series "A Song of Ice and Fire" will, imo, achieve the cult status of LotR.

This series of books, the first "A Game of Thrones" will epitomise a new genre in literature. The sheer size and scope are immense. The only comparable series of fantasy books has to be Jordans "Wheel of Time" series. Unlike Jordan however, Martin's characters are fantastic. Best summed up by the cutting from the Guardian:-

'Sheer mind-boggling scope... Its ambition: to construct the Twelve Caesars of fantasy fiction, with characters so venemous they could eat the Borgias' The Guardian

I cannot recommend these books highly enough. Those who have taken on board my recommendation and read these books have enjoyed them as much as I and hold them in the same high esteem.

P.S. These books cannot be read to your children!

Mark R
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mark R »

murf wrote:Don't think you are quite getting into the spirit of the dice thing......
Nope, but am getting into the spirit of the baby making thing! :wink:

May as well be hung for a sheep as hung for a lamb. No offence intended!

hammerddh
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hammerddh »

Wyld wrote:Hard to say which books I have enjoyed the most, but ones that spring to mind (other than The Dice Man, Catch 22, and Animal Farm) are:

English Passengers - Matthew Neale
The Affirmation - Christopher Priest
The Leaky Establishment - David Langford*
The French Lieutenant's Woman - John Fowles
The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night Time - Mark Haddon
Revelation Space - Alastair Reynolds
The Last Coyote -Michael Connelly

And the two I just finished, both of which were a hoot:

Skinny Dip - Carl Hiaasen
May Contain Nuts - John O'Farrell

*Probably hard to find this nowadays, but well worth the hunt.

Just finished "Curious Incident of the Dog n the Night Time" and have to agree with Wyld this is a really good read. Haddon's narration from perspective of the Autisctic boy is very very clever and is both sad and an times funny. I recommend this without a doubt.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Midders & Wyld are the only two who appear to have dabbled in my novels of choice. Im a bib Michael Connelly fan, (Wyld - Try 'The Poet' its probably his best, or 'Angels Flight' if your stuck on Bosch). Midders, Love Reacher - have read all Childs books and look forward to the next.

Really surprised no one has mentioned possibly my favourite author. "Tell No One" by Harlan Coben is one of the best mystery books ever IMHO.

Enjoyed American Psycho, about 10yrs ago (Girlfriend has it at the minute). Explaining why I liked it was odd, it isnt because its good, perhaps its because its so disturbing.

I like the idea of this thread, but perhaps some sort of poll would be useful, I dont see a trend of 'great books' to try.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Beerfuelledman wrote: Really surprised no one has mentioned possibly my favourite author. "Tell No One" by Harlan Coben is one of the best mystery books ever IMHO.
You must have missed this thread then BFM, from last October:

http://fantasyfootballuk.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=coben

... in which I said:
Billy Whiz wrote:Strange how some Iain Banks books really appeal and others don't, and it changes from reader to reader. I enjoyed Walking on Glass (the one with three different stories interlinked) and I think Complicity is one of the best books I've ever read. But I hated the Wasp Factory.

Am currently reading Mark Haddon's Dog in the Night-time, which is astonishingly good; before that I read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, which is a rollercoaster read with an entertaining but absurd plot; and before that I read Sebastian Faulks's haunting Birdsong, set in the WWI trenches. I'd recommend them all.

The best thriller writer I've read recently is Harlan Coben - check out Tell No One and especially Gone for Good. Rattling good reads.
:D

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Nice One :D Ive just finished his latest one "Promise Me" which see's Myron & the psychotic 'Win' return :D Very Good, moreso to a fan of the legacy though.

Guess thats a problem of mine with books, I tend to discover an author I like and read all his books, ignoring others. That was my point about this thread, was hoping to see one or two stand out, from posters with similar tastes to mine.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Well if you haven't read Complicity yet (see above), get on to Amazon now!

jeffersdn
Grumpy Old Pig

Post by jeffersdn »

Foundation series - Issac Asimov

Robot series - Issac Asimov

Gateway series - Fredrick Pohl

The gateway series is my all time favourite set.

Mike_
Dumbledore
FS Record: One half of Double Up And Deal *shades*

Post by Mike_ »

Beerfuelledman wrote:Midders & Wyld are the only two who appear to have dabbled in my novels of choice. Im a bib Michael Connelly fan, (Wyld - Try 'The Poet' its probably his best, or 'Angels Flight' if your stuck on Bosch). Midders, Love Reacher - have read all Childs books and look forward to the next.

Really surprised no one has mentioned possibly my favourite author. "Tell No One" by Harlan Coben is one of the best mystery books ever IMHO.

Enjoyed American Psycho, about 10yrs ago (Girlfriend has it at the minute). Explaining why I liked it was odd, it isnt because its good, perhaps its because its so disturbing.

I like the idea of this thread, but perhaps some sort of poll would be useful, I dont see a trend of 'great books' to try.

Yep I've read all Reacher books, most of Harlan Coben, all Michael Connelly too.

Two others I enjoy - the Inspector Banks novels by Peter Robinson and I've recently discovered the Frank Elder Mysteries written by John Harvey. I''ve only read two - both excellent.

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

X-Man wrote:
cherylhoney wrote:I'm intrigued about this book now (The Dice Man). I'm currently reading a book called The Magician (its very much like Lord of the Rings). When I've finished that I think I'll give The Dice Man a go.
Be warned it's a love it or loathe it sort of book. It's either 'a passionate indictment of psycho-analysis' or 'philosophical drivel'. You pays your money...
Finally got round to reading this - I loved it... Just finishing it in time to pick my teams - I can see some very odd choices coming up... but I'll feel more comfortable about making them knowing its not me who made the decisions :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

cherylhoney wrote:
X-Man wrote:
cherylhoney wrote:I'm intrigued about this book now (The Dice Man). I'm currently reading a book called The Magician (its very much like Lord of the Rings). When I've finished that I think I'll give The Dice Man a go.
Be warned it's a love it or loathe it sort of book. It's either 'a passionate indictment of psycho-analysis' or 'philosophical drivel'. You pays your money...
Finally got round to reading this - I loved it... Just finishing it in time to pick my teams - I can see some very odd choices coming up... but I'll feel more comfortable about making them knowing its not me who made the decisions :wink:
You know you'll be reading "The Search For The Dice Man" next :wink:

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

murf wrote:You know you'll be reading "The Search For The Dice Man" next :wink:
There are another 7 books aren't there? Have you read any of the others? If so are any of them worth reading?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

cherylhoney wrote:
There are another 7 books aren't there? Have you read any of the others? If so are any of them worth reading?
7? I thought there was only 1 more dice man book. It isn't as good but was worth a read.

Buy it if you shake a 4 :wink:

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

murf wrote:
cherylhoney wrote:
7? I thought there was only 1 more dice man book. It isn't as good but was worth a read.

Buy it if you shake a 4 :wink:
There are 7 other books by Luke Rhinehart but 3 of those relate to The Dice Man http://www.lukerhinehart.net. I'll give them all a go... if I shake a 4. (Oh god how long does it take to wear off?)

pwelshman
Grumpy Old Man

Post by pwelshman »

Tropic of Cancer,Tropic of Capricorn,

Hamlet
Treebeard

Post by Hamlet »

Just read this thread, and there are some excellent lists; wanted to make a point vis-a-vis 'Closing Time' (mentioned early on in the thread).

Closing Time always suffers through inevitable comparisons with Catch 22 - and the first time I read it I found it very strange, and pretty sluggish. However, with every subsequent reading it's just got better & better. I dip into it at least as much as I do Catch 22 (and that's a lot); there are sections of absolute genius, not least Yossarian musing on his literary heroes (esp. Thomas Mann).

Everything by Thomas Mann is great, if you invest the hours. Similarly, Kafka. My current favourite book is Demian, by Hermann Hesse - his greatest masterpiece (amongst many).

I agree with an earlier post that Anna Karenina is over-rated - and possibly the most laborious experience available.

Mark1886
Grumpy Old Gooner
FS Record: Tinkerman, average to poor

Post by Mark1886 »

Beerfuelledman wrote: Really surprised no one has mentioned possibly my favourite author. "Tell No One" by Harlan Coben is one of the best mystery books ever IMHO.
you did'nt bother reading my post on page 1, 5 down, then. :(

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Arts, Literature & Cultural Events”