To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

World history

A forum for discussion on the 'finer' things in life.
jeffersdn
Grumpy Old Pig

World history

Post by jeffersdn »

I am looking for a decent world history book with maps etc. I dont mind if it is a volume of books doing each timeline. I have had a look online, but I am a complete beginner when it comes to history and really want an idiots guide.
Any recommendations?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: World history

Post by bluenosey »

Andrew Marr's A History of the World is a nice read.

Plus I'm sure there's a world history for dummies. Or you could just pop into The Works. Bound to be a a good book or two for a bargain price.

I subscribe to BBC History magazine. There's always some quality articles in there.

jeffersdn
Grumpy Old Pig

Post by jeffersdn »

Thanks bluenosey. I will check these out in waterstones on Monday.

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

Maybe going a bit basic you could try EM Gombrich's A Little History of the World. No maps though.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

What sort of history are you interested in?

jeffersdn
Grumpy Old Pig

Post by jeffersdn »

I have never really been interested in history, but I think that in my slightly ripened age I am becoming more inquisitive. I dont know what era I am specifically interested in which is why I wanted a general world history starter to get me on the road.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Thisis actually quite a good overview of the West from before the Romans to recent times in not too many words, and is very readable.

I would get yourself a library ticket, and use it; rather than be buying the books.

You have just asked a similar question to "I want to get into music, which album should I buy?", when the answer is to get a radio, and maybe try youtube to find out what you like......

jeffersdn
Grumpy Old Pig

Post by jeffersdn »

Eh? Where did I ask that music question?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

You didn't: I was using it to show how broad and deep the range of" history" is.

jeffersdn
Grumpy Old Pig

Post by jeffersdn »

Ah I see. Yes I know that it would be impossible to cover all history in just a few books, but I was just after a general overview type of thing to get me started and then see what interested me the most.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The one in my link is really good for that. Although it is not a pure history book, this is actually an advantage as it does not get bogged down in Kings, Queens, Wars etc. It should give you a broad understanding of how the west got to to where it has, and provide some context for further reading. It has a good bibliography for further reading.

jeffersdn
Grumpy Old Pig

Post by jeffersdn »

Ok thanks. I will take a look.

Takeshi Kovacs
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Takeshi Kovacs »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... ld+history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plenty of options here.

The Complete History of the World by Richard Overy looks like it would fit the bill, but quite pricey.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Arts, Literature & Cultural Events”