To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How can we trust Covid related information found online?

Discussions about the coronavirus - COVID19
Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

How can we trust Covid related information found online?

Post by Mav3rick »

Dot wrote: 03 May 2020, 21:09 The blame doesn't live with a few thousand drinkers it lies with China and the Bent, Bought WHO for the cover up for so long.
Jesus Dot, how many 5G masts have you burned down this week :lol: The Trump style conspiracy theories are just a distraction, we have problems to face not boogeymen to fashion.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: COVID - 19

Post by Dot »

Mav3rick wrote: 03 May 2020, 21:43
Dot wrote: 03 May 2020, 21:09 The blame doesn't live with a few thousand drinkers it lies with China and the Bent, Bought WHO for the cover up for so long.
Jesus Dot, how many 5G masts have you burned down this week :lol: The Trump style conspiracy theories are just a distraction, we have problems to face not boogeymen to fashion.

really :lol: :lol:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=va ... ORM=VDRVRV

https://celebpie.com/danielle-dimartino-booth/

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

I'm not clicking either of those links. I would expect that at best it's party political material for Trump 2020 and at worst its conspiracy theory nonsense, neither of which deserves any airtime here.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Mav3rick wrote: 03 May 2020, 22:33 I'm not clicking either of those links. I would expect that at best it's party political material for Trump 2020 and at worst its conspiracy theory nonsense, neither of which deserves any airtime here.
Click the 2nd link to show you how credible the speaker is and you can judge for yourself as its just her wiki page

If you wish to bury you head in the stand and not listen to some clear evidence then that's your perogative

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Dot wrote: 03 May 2020, 22:38
Mav3rick wrote: 03 May 2020, 22:33 I'm not clicking either of those links. I would expect that at best it's party political material for Trump 2020 and at worst its conspiracy theory nonsense, neither of which deserves any airtime here.
Click the 2nd link to show you how credible the speaker is and you can judge for yourself as its just her wiki page

If you wish to bury you head in the stand and not listen to some clear evidence then that's your perogative
Trump gets a kicking in the interview too abit like 911. The CIA don't divulge information yet again.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Dot wrote: 03 May 2020, 22:38 If you wish to bury you head in the stand and not listen to some clear evidence then that's your perogative
It's not evidence in the scientific sense, it's not peer reviewed or published in a journal for sceptics to analyse. It's a random person on the Internet publishing a polished video designed to appeal to a very specific non scientific audience (who are not sceptical enough for their own good) for a specific political aim.

I can guarantee you that the video is utter nonsense without even looking at it.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

That's a very shallow take. Wouldn't get you far in a court of law.
I'm not going to view it as I have already formed the opinion its bollocks.

Its funny how Germany and their leading paper The Bild go along with the same lines as the UK france as well as America in their attack on China, which basically is what the interview is stating.

But you go along with the view that's its rubbish without even viewing..

strange

very strange

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

The bloke down the pub and the expert witness on ballistics are not equal in opinion on gunshot wounds in a court of law.

I don't need to watch it to know that its comes from a thoroughly untrustworthy place. Even if it backed up my beliefs, I would know its utter rubbish and carries no more weight than me stating my opinion right here.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Mav3rick wrote: 03 May 2020, 23:00 The bloke down the pub and the expert witness on ballistics are not equal in opinion on gunshot wounds in a court of law.

I don't need to watch it to know that its comes from a thoroughly untrustworthy place. Even if it backed up my beliefs, I would know its utter rubbish and carries no more weight than me stating my opinion right here.
I'm the bloke down the pub. The video is something different and carries a helluva lot more credence as they say in the states.

You sound like a remainer Maverick from the Brexit debates. They didn't wanna believe anything either.

I always found the best solution is to listen to all sides and then form one's opinion.

I'll tell you a little story Maverick its an analogy.

Before I turned 18 I was not allowed into the adult bar in an Ex-servicemens club ( they were scattered all over the country and probably still are back in the 70's) and I use to watch my dad play cards. snooker, Darts in the mens only bar thru the windows of the general bar where women and children in the main remained. My dad told me his opinion of anyone I asked over and he had formed an opinion on certain people being rite wink or chap on occasion.

Come the time I was allowed to go into bar and I met these people properly overtime I had the exact opposite opinion on those individuals. It comes down to not everyone is going to be your best friend. Your best friend could be my worst enemy and vice versa. I did tell my father as much too not that I think he gave a flying eff. It's probably sad to say why I've never had much respect for my father as he nears his exit.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

We're going pretty off topic now so I think if you want to discuss this further then I'll split the thread, but just to reply to your point...
Dot wrote: 03 May 2020, 23:26 The video is something different and carries a helluva lot more credence as they say in the states.
I always found the best solution is to listen to all sides and then form one's opinion.
It's hard to know how much weight to give a particular person or source, which is why we often defer this decision to an authority such as a scientific consensus or body, a trusted news source or even a government. If you don't have trust in the authority then you have to do lots of due diligence on the sources you look to or you risk just disseminating harmful misinformation among your peer group.

I get that it's hard to tell fake from fact these days, especially when there are there are active attempts to confuse and bamboozle by even the US president for political gain, but the BBC publish some guidelines of what to look out for when you're considering the validity of a source and the information it provides:

The seven types of people who start and spread viral misinformation
Here's how you can stop bad information from going viral

Both guidelines are worth a read the next time you are evaluating a source you find with no authoritative weight behind it, especially so if you are thinking about passing the information on.
Dot wrote: 03 May 2020, 23:26 I'll tell you a little story Maverick its an analogy.
...My dad told me his opinion of anyone I asked over and he had formed an opinion on certain people
...I had the exact opposite opinion on those individuals.
This is a great analogy that demonstrates my point. If I wanted to know the truth about "who Dot likes down the pub" would I ask the expert (i.e. you) who you like or do I ask the non-expert by-stander (i.e. your father) "who would Dot like in here"? Obviously my best route is to ask the expert as you are the global authority on "who Dot likes", but if you're in the bog how can I get an accurate answer when I can't ask you directly?

If I ask your father, then how do I evaluate all his ulterior motives and biases, how can I tell if he's giving me false information either maliciously or just through ignorance. I have no idea who this man is or how trustworthy he is so I have to be careful making decisions on his information or passing it on to other people since I cannot be sure of its validity.

I need to do some due diligence on this opinion, so I could spend months or years getting to know your father to decide if he's trustworthy, or if the barman is known to be trustworthy, truthful and knowledgeable about his regulars then I could ask him if your father has biases against people in the pub (i.e. deferring to the authority).

Without either due diligence being performed it really just one man's word and nothing else.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Mav3rick wrote: 04 May 2020, 06:44 We're going pretty off topic now so I think if you want to discuss this further then I'll split the thread, but just to reply to your point...
Dot wrote: 03 May 2020, 23:26 The video is something different and carries a helluva lot more credence as they say in the states.
It's hard to know how much weight to give a particular person or source, which is why we often defer this decision to an authority such as a scientific consensus or body, a trusted news source or even a government. If you don't have trust in the authority then you have to do lots of due diligence on the sources you look to or you risk just disseminating harmful misinformation among your peer group.

I get that it's hard to tell fake from fact these days, especially when there are there are active attempts to confuse and bamboozle by even the US president for political gain, but the BBC publish some guidelines of what to look out for when you're considering the validity of a source and the information it provides:

Is that same BBC that covered up for Jimmy Saville for years and the same BBC that's bias toward remain was puke-worthy in the extreme. Surely you could use a more trustworthy source

The seven types of people who start and spread viral misinformation
Here's how you can stop bad information from going viral

Both guidelines are worth a read the next time you are evaluating a source you find with no authoritative weight behind it, especially so if you are thinking about passing the information on.

I'm not passing information on, i'm saying its better to form your opinion when you have some FACTS, rather than take somebodys else opinion as vebatim
Dot wrote: 03 May 2020, 23:26 I'll tell you a little story Maverick its an analogy.
...My dad told me his opinion of anyone I asked over and he had formed an opinion on certain people
...I had the exact opposite opinion on those individuals.
This is a great analogy that demonstrates my point. If I wanted to know the truth about "who Dot likes down the pub" would I ask the expert (i.e. you) who you like or do I ask the non-expert by-stander (i.e. your father) "who would Dot like in here"? Obviously my best route is to ask the expert as you are the global authority on "who Dot likes", but if you're in the bog how can I get an accurate answer when I can't ask you directly?

Firstly I don't sit in any toilet for longer than a couple of minutes so I would be out shortly. More importantly your missing the point. Its not finding out who I like at all. The global authority is yourself. I asked a question, whats he like. I got an answer. If I never found out for myself am I to assume that person is a chap? I said quite clearly, who I was told to being a chap in his eyes, was not a chap in mine. Why because I found out , personally.

If I ask your father, then how do I evaluate all his ulterior motives and biases, how can I tell if he's giving me false information either maliciously or just through ignorance. I have no idea who this man is or how trustworthy he is so I have to be careful making decisions on his information or passing it on to other people since I cannot be sure of its validity.

I need to do some due diligence on this opinion, so I could spend months or years getting to know your father to decide if he's trustworthy, or if the barman is known to be trustworthy, truthful and knowledgeable about his regulars then I could ask him if your father has biases against people in the pub (i.e. deferring to the authority).

Without either due diligence being performed it really just one man's word and nothing else.
It comes down to you you refuse to watch a video( although you have i would guess) because you have formed the opinion its nonsense and misleading.

You have basically contradicted yourself.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: How can we trust Covid related information found online?

Post by Dot »

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to completely diss the information given out by China so far - regarding cases/deaths when they suppress everything in a country containing 1.4 billion

Comparisons are no longer compared with the numbers China decided to give out because basically they are not even laughable

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “COVID-19”