To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

COVID - 19

Discussions about the coronavirus - COVID19
Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

COVID - 19

Post by Stu255 »

Errr...

This is a real thing, the stock market is fully crashing and that means crazy policy stuff is going to happen. Central Banks can't stop a virus, so governments are going to start experimenting with crazy laws.

For example...

Switzerland (a proper country that does boring sensible stuff) just banned any event that has more than 1,000 people attending... If that kind of policy becomes common, European football might not finish the season.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: COVID - 19

Post by forestfan »

And Liverpool’s title drought goes on ;)

More likely I suspect is use of a closed-doors policy for big games, and if the situation worsens then Euro 2020 and next season may not start at all (giving everyone a nice long break in the run-up to the Qatar farce).

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

I suspect having 100,000’s people move up and down the country every Saturday afternoon to sit together in tight groups of 20,000 is quite high on the list of things the government will ban should the virus take hold here.

Can the season finish before the inevitable ban?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, as I said, they could play matches behind closed doors, at least then they can still be televised and the season potentially completed.

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

forestfan wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 10:29 And Liverpool’s title drought goes on ;)

More likely I suspect is use of a closed-doors policy for big games, and if the situation worsens then Euro 2020 and next season may not start at all (giving everyone a nice long break in the run-up to the Qatar farce).
How many clubs would actually survive that?

Financially ruinous.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

😂😂😂😂

#drinkSolinstead

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Stu255 wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 10:26 Errr...

This is a real thing, the stock market is fully crashing and that means crazy policy stuff is going to happen. Central Banks can't stop a virus, so governments are going to start experimenting with crazy laws.

For example...

Switzerland (a proper country that does boring sensible stuff) just banned any event that has more than 1,000 people attending... If that kind of policy becomes common, European football might not finish the season.
Might have to re think the FISO 20th birthday celebrations, given the size of crowd likely to accumulate.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

on a more serious note, the Stock Market falls imply we might get closed borders for a while. Maybe even 2 weeks shutdown of everything, and we all self-isolate, a 24 hr curfew, the Army patrol the streets to enforce it.

Sounds over the top. And yet...

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

already happening

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51631954

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Japanese authorities have announced that all schools in the country will be closed until 8 April in an effort to stem the spread of the virus.

Stormrider
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner Fantasy Football Scotland 2021/22

Post by Stormrider »

Swiss Football league just announced thst the games of the highest two leagues are cancelled this weekend. That went fast now

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Stu255 wrote:

Financially ruinous.
TV money is better than no money (no games)... and all our foreign players going home to potentially spread/catch the virus (also Brit players going back to family in ither regions / on holiday etc).

Tighten borders and restrict travel sensibly.

People moan about Chinese dictators controlling the people but they are containing it well (now) and reducing the numbers contracting the virus.

Turning a blind eye or covering up (China early days, Iran) doesn't work. Open information and strict controls are the way forward.

Just hope they don't stop parkruns....

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Switzerland borders hotspot Northern Italy. Clearly the situation in SE Asia is more problematic than here at present (I heard a dog has caught it from its owner...).

But. If Italy can get a problem then so can anywhere else.

As someone who works in a University with a very large proportion of overseas students, and who has the joy of travelling on the London transport system on a line that serves City Airport, I am finding myself touching nothing and trying to avoid the rush hour. Probably too cautious, but ...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Stu255 wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 10:34

Financially ruinous.
They’d be bailed out, if necessary, either by Boris and Dom or the FA/sponsors.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

raoul wrote:Switzerland borders hotspot Northern Italy. Clearly the situation in SE Asia is more problematic than here at present (I heard a dog has caught it from its owner...).

But. If Italy can get a problem then so can anywhere else.

As someone who works in a University with a very large proportion of overseas students, and who has the joy of travelling on the London transport system on a line that serves City Airport, I am finding myself touching nothing and trying to avoid the rush hour. Probably too cautious, but ...
Get out of London!

(But don't come here unless you've been through 24 days of quarantine and testing Image)

3 more UK cases today - all had been to Italy or Iran.
2 cases on Cycling's UAE tour yesterday. Both Italians.

Identifying hotspots and bringing in serious travel restrictions is the answer.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

https://www.lse.co.uk/news/london-marke ... 4yji6.html

that was just 2 months ago.

Current price is down 1000 PTS to 6600

gonna affect everyone

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

I hope my posting won't get quarantined
although I'm already self-restricting since long :innocent:

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

On the football front, Serie A will give us an indication.
They had 4 games postponed last weekend (due to virus) and 5 games in empty stadia this weekend.

Torino postponed just 3 hours before KO.

I expect Ben Crellin will be bald by June and the FPL season turns into a lottery.

But serious countries like Switzerland and Japan are making very big policy decisions such as blanket banning public events and closing schools for months on end.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Suspect CL & EL will suffer postponements before PL and given the tight timescales I'm not sure what happens. We also have an international break coming up - let's cancel that and put domestic games in there :)

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

North Korea 'shoots dead coronavirus patient' after he's 'seen at public baths'

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un quickly placed those returning from China in a quarantine. But according to reports an official was spotted breaching the order

A North Korean official has reportedly been executed after breaching the country's strict rules surrounding coronavirus.
Maniac leader Kim Jong-un had set the rules surrounding those who had returned from China, according to reports.

He then ordered them into a quarantine.
But according to Korean news outlet Wikitree and other outlets in the region, an official was executed after he was spotted at public baths.
The method of execution was by shooting, the report adds.
And the quarantine applied to individuals who had visited China in the past 30 days after the outbreak started there.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

Feels like strange times we are living in at the moment, on one hand everything I am doing is perfectly normal; going to work, played football last night, going out for a meal tomorrow, etc. And yet I'm doing all this with the awareness that life could become very weird/restricted/just plain different at any point soon, and I'm watching the slow creep of a (hopefully temporary) different way of life sweeping its way across the world on a day by day basis.

Anyway, regarding FPL, I can see games being played behind closed doors as they are doing in Italy. I guess we can view whats going on in Serie A this weekend as a test bed for the PL. If it works out ok I don't see why they wouldn't bring that in here. The second more draconian step would be to postpone or cancel fixtures, I can only really see this happening if a match is scheduled in a city in lockdown/quarantine due to particulary prevalent amounts of the virus found within that city. Either that or a club itself finds itself with a positive test for Coronavirus within its playing staff.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Aldershot Rejects wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:07 Suspect CL & EL will suffer postponements before PL and given the tight timescales I'm not sure what happens. We also have an international break coming up - let's cancel that and put domestic games in there :)
It would seem MADNESS not to cancel the upcoming international break they are only poxy friendlies anyway.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

for once I ain't booked a holiday abroad this year and certainly have no intention to do so now. Good luck to any unfortunate soul who has a suspected case and goes into a hospital abroad.

Good luck on seeing your insurance cover this... Jet2 and Tui haven't even fulfilled their contractual obligations to the recent sand storms victims in the Canarys for thousands of holidaymakers stranded at various airports.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Dot wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:11
Aldershot Rejects wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:07 Suspect CL & EL will suffer postponements before PL and given the tight timescales I'm not sure what happens. We also have an international break coming up - let's cancel that and put domestic games in there :)
It would seem MADNESS not to cancel the upcoming international break they are only poxy friendlies anyway.
completely agree. An obvious thing to do, but whoever loses out financially will no doubt delay/block the decision.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

TheRumourMill wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:09 Feels like strange times we are living in at the moment, on one hand everything I am doing is perfectly normal; going to work, played football last night, going out for a meal tomorrow, etc. And yet I'm doing all this with the awareness that life could become very weird/restricted/just plain different at any point soon, and I'm watching the slow creep of a (hopefully temporary) different way of life sweeping its way across the world on a day by day basis.

Anyway, regarding FPL, I can see games being played behind closed doors as they are doing in Italy. I guess we can view whats going on in Serie A this weekend as a test bed for the PL. If it works out ok I don't see why they wouldn't bring that in here. The second more draconian step would be to postpone or cancel fixtures, I can only really see this happening if a match is scheduled in a city in lockdown/quarantine due to particulary prevalent amounts of the virus found within that city. Either that or a club itself finds itself with a positive test for Coronavirus within its playing staff.
If/when it becomes widespread there’s a question of whether there are more general cancellations or if it’s just a case of let it burn itself out and try to carry on more or less as normal. Something like cancelling top level sporting events sends out a message that normal life is on hold, and will have an effect on public morale. The knock-on risk of those sort of measures is that that would lead to more economic damage, and perhaps more lives lost to things like food and medicine shortages than to the illness itself.

Trying to remember what happened with swine flu in 2009 - clearly that was a less deadly virus (perhaps to an extent because old people weren’t very susceptible to it) and seemed to take hold pretty quickly once it was known about, beyond the stage of trying to contain it.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Don't forget it was all prophesised nearly 40 years ago

Written by Dean Koontz, “The Eyes of Darkness” is a story about a mother who discovers her son Danny is being kept in a military facility after being infected with a man-made microorganism called “Wuhan-400”.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/12 ... weapon-spt

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Dot wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:34 Don't forget it was all prophesised nearly 40 years ago

Written by Dean Koontz, “The Eyes of Darkness” is a story about a mother who discovers her son Danny is being kept in a military facility after being infected with a man-made microorganism called “Wuhan-400”.

Here’s what the books that “predicted” the Covid-19 coronavirus actually say

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

RomynPG wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 13:45
Dot wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 12:34 Don't forget it was all prophesised nearly 40 years ago

Can I be the psychic one? 😎

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

RomynPG wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 13:45

But of course, but there is no denying that something that was written about back in 1981 has a hell of alot of similarities as to what is happening now, and to actually get the City of Wuhan correct is spooky.

Btw it wasnt just reported by the Daily Star, the net is awash with it. I got it on a watsapp a few weeks back.

Christ some people dont even believe that planes went into the twin towers. :?

Another extract from the book that I have on my original watsapp.

In around 2020 a severe pneumonia-like illness will spread throughout the globe, attacking the lungs and the bronchial tubes and resisting all known treatments.

Fortunately the treatments today are treating this with a good degree of success, but for some people it ain't.

Theres no denying at all that this book got a helluva lot right.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “COVID-19”