To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

COVID - 19

Discussions about the coronavirus - COVID19
SamD
FISO Knight

Vaccine

Post by SamD »

raoul wrote:Wonder when the irreversible stage 4 will get reversed and we get another lockdown...
Antibodies are on the wane
UK scientists have backed proposals for Covid boosters in the autumn after blood tests on hundreds of people revealed that protective antibodies can wane substantially within weeks of second vaccine shots being given.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... antibodies

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: COVID - 19

Post by forestfan »

My AZ/Twente pun a while back might prove to be appropriate…

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

Guy who works along side me gets a text saying that he can bring his second jab forward.
Spends 10 mins on phone explaining that he needs x2 slots as he brings a non driver (same as first jab), gets told there is no available slots :shock:
So why the fk have they wasted time and money texting him & wasting his time :evil:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

SUZYKINS wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 07:19 Guy who works along side me gets a text saying that he can bring his second jab forward.
Spends 10 mins on phone explaining that he needs x2 slots as he brings a non driver (same as first jab), gets told there is no available slots :shock:
So why the fk have they wasted time and money texting him & wasting his time :evil:
Blame Boris 😎

I guess all the earlier spots were booked up before he made contact...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

So not everyone has isolate if they get pinged 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That plan almost lasted 5 days 😎😎😎😎

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Guess they can’t exempt shop floor workers as that would just have the potential of causing mass spread to customers. But tackling the food supply chain is important.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Imagine not having been Pinged by Tuesday of this scorching week....... yep, an easy lie 🤣🤣🤣🤣

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, supermarket workers do get virus-laden air-con instead of baking home offices, I suppose. Definitely don’t envy those in the meat processing industry though…

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 10:25 Definitely don’t envy those in the meat processing industry though…
Refrigerated, shirley?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I like this tweet…
what is up with old rock stars who spent the whole of their 20s, 30s and as often as not 40s & 50s swallowing, snorting and shooting up literally every substance that was offered to them coming over all My Body Is Suddenly A eff Temple when it’s about a life-saving vaccine?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Anyway, my recycling bin wasn’t collected this week… not because of Covid, but because the local recycling plant burnt down. You couldn’t make it up :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:Anyway, my recycling bin wasn’t collected this week… not because of Covid, but because the local recycling plant burnt down. You couldn’t make it up Image
They've stopped collecting our garden waste this week because of covid. I have written to Boris and Neville Southall requesting that binmen (and binwomen) are excused from the pingdemic to prevent the world ending.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

forestfan wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:52 I like this tweet…
what is up with old rock stars who spent the whole of their 20s, 30s and as often as not 40s & 50s swallowing, snorting and shooting up literally every substance that was offered to them coming over all My Body Is Suddenly A effing Temple when it’s about a life-saving vaccine?
:D :D

It is genuinely sad to see how many people get influenced by a relatively small anti-vaxx activist group (a recent study from the CCDH found that 2/3 of anti-vaxx messages came from just 12 people - they then get repeated and 'laundered' through social media, but effectively its a small number of extreme nutcases causing this)

Vaccines are one of the wonders of modern science, and the Covid vaccine in particular. The Jenner institute team had a vaccine candidate actually made in the lab and into prelim tests within 2 weeks of getting the sequence data (thanks in part to many years of research into how to quickly develop coronavirus vaccines based on their vaccine platform).
No shortcuts, just fast recruitment of people for trials, round the clock work to figure out how to scale up production and put the dossiers together and regulators putting their review to the top of the pile.

Its truly astonishing what they have achieved, and still some ungrateful little shits moan that it can't be safe because they developed it so fast, or get scared off because some nut-job persuades them that they'll die of some horrible side effect which, even if there is any causality, which often there isn't, is so vanishingly rare that they're more likely to be struck by lightning on the way to the clinic than die of the side effect

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

murf wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 13:42
forestfan wrote:Anyway, my recycling bin wasn’t collected this week… not because of Covid, but because the local recycling plant burnt down. You couldn’t make it up Image
They've stopped collecting our garden waste this week because of covid. I have written to Boris and Neville Southall requesting that binmen (and binwomen) are excused from the pingdemic to prevent the world ending.
wow from Welsh & Everton number one to bin man, so sad :(

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

forestfan wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 13:27 Anyway, my recycling bin wasn’t collected this week… not because of Covid, but because the local recycling plant burnt down. You couldn’t make it up :lol:
Recycling a recycling plant. Greta would be proud.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Anti-vaccine protesters comparing the NHS to Nazis and calling for the hanging of doctors and nurses.

In the words of Old Farty… Lock. Them. Up.

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

COVID - 19

Post by Moon Knight »

I believe the Mayor of London has reported the incident to the Met. Hopefully the ‘people’ concerned will be charged with hate crimes.

Imagine seeing a movement whose main supporters are David Icke, Piers Corbyn, Katy Hopkins, Lawrence Fox and Right Said Fred and thinking "now that's something I can get behind!"

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Renton wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 16:55 David Icke, Piers Corbyn, Katy Hopkins, Lawrence Fox and Right Said Fred
Sounds like a particularly crap Celebrity Big Brother revival line-up.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I Right said Fred really with those?

I think Ian Brown is.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

They’re too stupid for their shirts. So stupid it hurts.

They have some deeply dippy ideas, anyway…

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Quite ironic that after all the fuss about ending restrictions, cases have gone down ever since. Obviously a bit wary about reading too much into that just yet...

Eldest daughter had her first jab today (couldn't have it when she was first entitled as she had Covid) so thats the whole family now with at least one jab :-)

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

COVID - 19

Post by Moon Knight »

Hospital admissions now edging towards 6k and we’re not at the point where the effects of Freedom Day comes into the reckoning yet.

A better indication of where we’re at will be in 7-10 days?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Renton wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 19:26 Hospital admissions now edging towards 6k and we’re not at the point where the effects of Freedom Day comes into the reckoning yet.

A better indication of where we’re at will be in 7-10 days?
I'd say so, yes.

although its obviously good that we've got this downturn now, its still going to be a tough winter I think

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

There should be a dip in hospital numbers in a week or so’s time based on the case number lag. But probably a temporary dip due to the end of the Euros, schools finishing, hot weather and perhaps reaching something approaching herd immunity among the young in some of the hotspot cities.

I expect we’ll see a “nightclub spike” before too long but hard to judge the longer term trend.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 19:47 There should be a dip in hospital numbers in a week or so’s time based on the case number lag. But probably a temporary dip due to the end of the Euros, schools finishing, hot weather and perhaps reaching something approaching herd immunity among the young in some of the hotspot cities.

I expect we’ll see a “nightclub spike” before too long but hard to judge the longer term trend.
I agree. I think it was right to ease restrictions last Monday, although I actually think the flu could cause more issues than covid this Xmas and we'll all probably need a booster jab at some point over the winter.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 20:46
forestfan wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 19:47 There should be a dip in hospital numbers in a week or so’s time based on the case number lag. But probably a temporary dip due to the end of the Euros, schools finishing, hot weather and perhaps reaching something approaching herd immunity among the young in some of the hotspot cities.

I agree. I think it was right to ease restrictions last Monday, although I actually think the flu could cause more issues than covid this Xmas and we'll all probably need a booster jab at some point over the winter.
I still think nightclubs and big crowd events are going to be an issue, the superspreading potential is massive, and “test events” held at a time when there were virtually no cases were like proving that you don’t get hypothermia in a heatwave.

Flu has a much lower basic R rate but it will be helped by lowered immunity given there’s been none circulating recently. The jabs and continuing caution among older people might help keep it under control but it could spread like wildfire in schools for example. And the issue is that there will be Covid as well as flu and all the other usual seasonal stuff to contend with, it’s not a case of one replacing the other.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

In terms of nightclubs, are there really that many left? Middle aged people making lots of assumptions about clubs but in reality, I reckon about half have closed since the 90s. Just let the kids enjoy themselves. There's a very vocal minority of lockdown lovers on social media, who seem desperate to return to lockdown at every opportunity. They probably forget they were 18 once.....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

There’s minorities at both extremes. I don’t think many people are advocating another full lockdown now, unless we get a “back to square one” vaccine-resistant strain, though there might have been a case for a short “circuit-breaker” if things were getting really out of control.

I think you’re right about the decline of proper nightclubs, there were stories a few years ago about the fall in number and that people now did it more as a special occasion than a weekly thing. Though there’s probably more hybrid pub-bar-club type places, that may have reopened in some form earlier.

I still wouldn’t be desperate to go out and catch this thing even if I was 18, it’s still a bit of ROC roulette whatever age you are… but I guess the combination of those who’ve taken up the jab and those who have been infected will be starting to bring down the level of susceptibility among the younger crowd by now.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

ROC roulette - nice touch :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Mav3rick wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 18:59 ROC roulette - nice touch :lol:
Don't encourage him 🤣🤣🤣

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “COVID-19”