To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

A) New series that might be worth watching

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: A) New series that might be worth watching

Post by murf »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
moonlightdribbler wrote:
Moist von Lipwig wrote:
jacksosi wrote:Catastrophe

Just watched the first two episodes, and really enjoying it. A comedy about a couple having a 6 night stand and her getting pregnant, she's Irish, he's American. 8/10 so far...
yes its been very good - a friend told me about it and have just caught up this week with the first two.
I'm enjoying it too, thought the 1st had more laughs than the 2nd episode, but it's a very likeable series so far. Don't know much about Rob Delaney but I'm a bit of a Sharon Horgan fan. The sitcom she starred in and co-wrote with Dennis Kelly (he of Utopia) called Pulling was/is badly underrated.

THAT'S Carrie Fisher playing his mum. Blimey...
I think the c**** husband is in it again in ep.3 one of the highlights of the opener for me. :lol:
Semi-binge watched the first 4 episodes so far. Loving it. Not laugh out loud funny throughout but certainly has it's moments with great supporting characters and is indeed 'very likeable'.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

There was a line in the final episode last night (by the lap dancer) that I'm still laughing at now.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:There was a line in the final episode last night (by the lap dancer) that I'm still laughing at now.

What an image!

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

I don't think there is an official UK release date for this but anyone else managed to catch iZombie?
An insane concept of a zombie having to eat the brains of dead crime victims to help solve the case, she inherits their memories.
Watched the opener, 2 more lined up, I am hooked.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Sounds outrageously ridiculous :)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Sounds like Pushing Up Daisies (or whatever it was called with Anna Friel) except with added brain eating and she wasn't entirely a zombie just sort of half undead.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

A) New series that might be worth watching

Post by jacksosi »

moonlightdribbler wrote:
jacksosi wrote:12 Monkeys, a tv show based on the film
9pm Friday Syfy HD (114)

I'm very interested! Big fan of the film, and it'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

You wait ages for one of your favourite science fiction movies to be made into a series, and then two come along at once. The Westworld series should be hitting our screens in 2015, but still no dates as to when.

http://www.filmdivider.com/3911/jj-abra ... westworld/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ed Harris as the gunslinger. 8-)
I've been quite enjoying this, a bit daft as expected, but it's easy watching.

Also enjoying Travel Man with Richard Ayoade, amusing half hour city break reviews

Liked Fortitude up until the last episode which I thought was weakest of the lot Image

Shane H
Kevin and Perry

Post by Shane H »

Not a new series but is anyone watching Bates Motel?

On season 3 now and feels like it's the last one as it's building to a climax, it's well worth a watch.

Javahart
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Not troubling the leaders

Post by Javahart »

Started watching "The 100", it wont win any awards but interesting view on what happens when you let teenagers make the rules in a post apocalyptic world.
The lead, Eliza Taylor, is another Neighbours export and easy on the eye. I'm hooked :D

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

I'm up to date with The 100 - love it!!

Although I'm brunette man, so Marie Avergopoulos (sp?) is more my cup of tea...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:I don't think there is an official UK release date for this but anyone else managed to catch iZombie?
An insane concept of a zombie having to eat the brains of dead crime victims to help solve the case, she inherits their memories.
Was surprisingly ok.
Cheesy, corny, ridiculous... but ok.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Zimmerman wrote:
foxinthebox2001 wrote:I don't think there is an official UK release date for this but anyone else managed to catch iZombie?
Was surprisingly ok.
Cheesy, corny, ridiculous... but ok.
Just downloaded ep. 7, its the Wednesday highlight of the day.
*Banshee potential spoiler*
Almost through with series 3 of Banshee, just about hanging on in there, got this far might as well see it through.
Dissapointed with the repeated plot, one person at a time discovers who he is...... and dies!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

izombie has hints of Heroes in terms of style.

I did actually like that at the time (although just stopped watching for no conscious reason around the third series). I am much more miserable and cynical now though, so whether I can stick with zombie, we'll see (subject to getting hold if it for a kick off).

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

Did anybody else stumble across Murder In Successville on BBC Three? Think this run has finished, but last night they repeated all 6 episodes back to back. I caught the final 2.

"Each week D.I. Sleet is partnered by a celebrity guest as they investigate a murder in the titular town, which is in turn seemingly peopled entirely by 'celebrities'." - Sleet is played by Tom Davis, how he keeps a straight face (most of the time!) I don't know. It's maybe a bit silly, It's a bit Stella Street with a twist, but I do know I pissed myself laughing a fair few times.

Dunno if the channel is going to continue repeating them, but all 6 episodes are available here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05tv211/episodes/guide

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

Had my doubts about this show when it was first announced but have to say that my expectations are now much, much higher:

Groovy 8-)

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Nice, watched that with a fixed stupid grin on my face. :P

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

New French series coming to C4 next week.

Witnesses.

Only 7.2/10 on IMDB but I'm a sucker for foreign TV/film.

Is it me... Or is this Liam Neeson?

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Looks more like the one from Dragons' Den...

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

I was quite impressed by The Outcast (BBC1) by Sadie Jones serialized in two parts and started last Sunday.

The first episode was the first half of a story set after the Second World War, about a young boy called Lewis whose doting mother drowned in a river despite his frantic efforts to save her. The tragedy haunted Lewis and made his relationship with his cold, remote father even more distant

It had a period setting, a country house, old-fashioned cars, a small boy in short trousers, a dislikeable father and it was blessed with a starry cast, including Jessica Brown Findlay, Lady Sybil from Downton Abbey. It ticked every box on the checklist for Sunday night TV.

Some of its attempts at moving the audience were a bit clumsy and obvious, it's relentlessly emotional, heart-tugging story of tragedy and gushing orchestral music. camera shots were held for ever and lines of dialogue left hanging in silences.

Despite the criticisms i found it quite enjoyable but possibly because I tend to like period dramas. I thought the kid who played the boy at the centre of the story bore a striking resemblance to Joe Root the hero of the hour in the first Ashes test.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/j ... in-softley

yorkyowl
Wideboy
FS Record: John Morrison Elite League Runner Up 14/15, John Morrison Elite Europa League Winner 13/14

Post by yorkyowl »

Anyone watch Ray Donovan?

Series 3 starts tonight 9pm on Sky Atlantic :D

Ian McShane and Katie Holmes joined for this series. Really enjoyed first two seasons.

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

yorkyowl wrote:Anyone watch Ray Donovan?

Series 3 starts tonight 9pm on Sky Atlantic :D

Ian McShane and Katie Holmes joined for this series. Really enjoyed first two seasons.
I really enjoyed the first two seasons and am looking forward to season three. I've started downloading and will probably watch in one go.

Has anyone seen Mr Robot? It's only aired in the US to date but is available through most download apps. Very, very good so far.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

liquidfootball2 wrote:I was quite impressed by The Outcast (BBC1) by Sadie Jones serialized in two parts and started last Sunday.

The first episode was the first half of a story set after the Second World War, about a young boy called Lewis whose doting mother drowned in a river despite his frantic efforts to save her. The tragedy haunted Lewis and made his relationship with his cold, remote father even more distant

It had a period setting, a country house, old-fashioned cars, a small boy in short trousers, a dislikeable father and it was blessed with a starry cast, including Jessica Brown Findlay, Lady Sybil from Downton Abbey. It ticked every box on the checklist for Sunday night TV.

Some of its attempts at moving the audience were a bit clumsy and obvious, it's relentlessly emotional, heart-tugging story of tragedy and gushing orchestral music. camera shots were held for ever and lines of dialogue left hanging in silences.

Despite the criticisms i found it quite enjoyable but possibly because I tend to like period dramas. I thought the kid who played the boy at the centre of the story bore a striking resemblance to Joe Root the hero of the hour in the first Ashes test.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/j ... in-softley
I watched the first half but haven't got round to the final part yet - mainly because it was pretty damn depressing!! It was well made and kept me watching - concentration only drifting when it got a tad slow at times.

Not sure about ticking sunday night boxes - think it was mainly being criticised for being the antithesis of sunday night telly (usually cheery, warm Heartbeat type tosh) :lol:

I thought the kid looked like someone off Eastenders (Jay? don't watch it these days) and Lady Sybil didn't look like Lady Sybil, seemed to have lost all her on-screen 'charisma' :(

----------

My latest binge-watch is Odyssey (watched 3, has been 5 shown of 13), with Anna Friel as the US soldier on the run after her squadron were wiped out by their own side after stumbling on a conspiracy about the yanks funding Al Qaeda type terrorism. Two other tandem storylines about people looking into it Stateside too. All pretty good but I'd watch Anna Friel in anything! Still a solid recommendation.

AMc
Grumpy Old Iggy

Post by AMc »

Last edited by AMc on 03 May 2018, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Bollocks!

Have been seeing tweets about its run in the States, didn't occur to me it would be on in the UK so soon.

Hopefully in true Sky Atlantic style it will be repeated this week.

AMc
Grumpy Old Iggy

Post by AMc »

Last edited by AMc on 03 May 2018, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Cheers.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Strange that this thread has been silent for 2 months.
Anyone read Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories?
The Last Kingdom, tonight BBC2 9pm is an adaptation.
9th century anglo saxon/viking drama, comparisons with Game of Thrones (without the dragons) are inevitable.
The first 2 episodes are on showbox, just about to watch the opener.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

I'd wasn't aware of it until about an hour ago, when I stumbled across a preview - have sent the record request to the box.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Moist von Lipwig wrote:I'd wasn't aware of it until about an hour ago, when I stumbled across a preview - have sent the record request to the box.
Not the most exhilarating of opening episodes, a couple battle scenes but its still not quite enough to get the blood rate pumping.
Storyline has developed quickly but nicely though, so hopeful it will turn out a decent watch.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Love the books. Hope it is on iPlayer as it looks like I might be without Sky for up to 2 weeks....
Also new series of Big Bang Theory, Detectorists and Catastrophe starting this week. Bad timing.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”