To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

A) New series that might be worth watching

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Re: A) New series that might be worth watching

Post by Darbyand »

Anyone been watching After Hours on Sky 1? Seen 2 episodes so far and I think it's worth a look;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... rming.html

I'd agree with the review about it being a bit shy on belly laughs but it's British whimsy at its finest and also has a great soundtrack. Ardal O'Hanlon is criminally wasted mind, he hasn't looked around the room gormlessley once.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

New series starting on Sky Living :shock: that might be ok.

Blindspot IMDB gives it 7.8/10 (yet the average episode rating is 8.2).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4474344/

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

My Netflix home screen is full of Jessica Jones. Anyone seen it? I'm nervous of Marvel adaptations as generally that's something I avoid but from what I've read this one seems more rooted in the real world...albeit she's a retired superhero. Fantastic reviews and a bonus of Jesse's girlfriend from BB in the lead role. She is.....nice.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Zimmerman wrote:New series starting on Sky Living :shock: that might be ok.

Blindspot IMDB gives it 7.8/10 (yet the average episode rating is 8.2).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4474344/
Watched the first 3 episodes, its not bad. The lead male role is a dead ringer for Lucas Hood (Banshee).
I have the first 9 episodes if you get hooked.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Anyone dipped their toe into Jessica Jones on Netflix yet? the baddie is David Tennant, playing a psychotic Derren Brown, heard but not seen in episode 1.
Didnt exactly drag me in, but enough to keep me mildly interested. I'm not a Marvel fanboy, so never heard of her before or what her super powers are or were.
It wavers after the first 10 minutes, but picks up in the latter half.

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

Not sure if it's a series or a one off but I quite like the look of Troll Hunters tonight on BBC Three:

High-profile beauty vlogger Em Ford was a victim of online abuse and fought back. Now she helps victims of online abuse track down and unmask their anonymous trolls.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:Anyone dipped their toe into Jessica Jones on Netflix yet? the baddie is David Tennant, playing a psychotic Derren Brown, heard but not seen in episode 1.
Didnt exactly drag me in, but enough to keep me mildly interested. I'm not a Marvel fanboy, so never heard of her before or what her super powers are or were.
It wavers after the first 10 minutes, but picks up in the latter half.
I've been in the same room when it's been on if that counts! My wife started watching it and I have to admit the acting seemed very flat and the fight scenes looked like they were choreographed by the people that taught Adam West to fight in Batman...

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

Calvin1979 wrote:Not sure if it's a series or a one off but I quite like the look of Troll Hunters tonight on BBC Three:

High-profile beauty vlogger Em Ford was a victim of online abuse and fought back. Now she helps victims of online abuse track down and unmask their anonymous trolls.

Reading your second sentence was a bit of a letdown. Was hoping this was a spin-off from the Norwegian horror movie!

Sounds like it's something that's been done before. I remember Richard Bacon doing a documentary were he confronted people who'd targeted him on the internet.

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Calvin1979 »

moonlightdribbler wrote:
Calvin1979 wrote:Not sure if it's a series or a one off but I quite like the look of Troll Hunters tonight on BBC Three:

Reading your second sentence was a bit of a letdown. Was hoping this was a spin-off from the Norwegian horror movie!

Sounds like it's something that's been done before. I remember Richard Bacon doing a documentary were he confronted people who'd targeted him on the internet.
The title peaked my interest as I thought it was related to the previous Channel 4 doc. However, I'm looking forward to seeing TRSS, Blaze et al getting caught tonight :lol:

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

moonlightdribbler wrote:

You're not the only one!

;)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

From Calvin's post I thought Troll Hunters was a drama series about a vigilante. Sort of a modern, female Deathwish for the interweb age.

Alas, it is just an earnest documentary.....

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Calvin1979 »

I apologise to all the forum geeks for promoting a programme that isn't about mythical trolls and is actually about exposing forum bullies. Get a life, losers. :wink:

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Calvin1979 »

I also apologies for plugging this, looks quite $h1t.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

:lol:

They could make a movie about your promotion then derision of this film!

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Really enjoyed the first episode of The People v OJ Simpson. Strong cast, and very well acted. Will definitely be tuning in again next week.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

it late as it started last weekend (BBC1 9pm Sunday), but the opening episode of The Night Manager was a stormer. Has been given the approval of Le Carre himself and if the quality doesn't dip from just the setup its going to be great. Available on the iplayer.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Starts next week on History2, although series 3 is about to come out in the States. I've seen Series 1 on Amazon Prime recently and despite a bit of a hokey start, I really liked this, will be recording it to view again. The characters from Treasure Island, set 20 years earlier.

Also worth it for one of the finest TV theme tunes played on a Hurdy Gurdy you'll ever hear on a Thursday at 11pm.

clip.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:it late as it started last weekend (BBC1 9pm Sunday), but the opening episode of The Night Manager was a stormer. Has been given the approval of Le Carre himself and if the quality doesn't dip from just the setup its going to be great. Available on the iplayer.
Yes, loved this and really looking forward to the next episode. The only negative for me was Russell Tovey who I like in comedies like Him and Her but just wasn't convincing as a posh former army officer and now ambassador.

The two male leads are great, Coleman's character needs a bit more attention and I'm loving the use of Tom Hollander, I think he's already really threatening.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

DrBunker wrote:
Moist von Lipwig wrote:it late as it started last weekend (BBC1 9pm Sunday), but the opening episode of The Night Manager was a stormer. Has been given the approval of Le Carre himself and if the quality doesn't dip from just the setup its going to be great. Available on the iplayer.
Yes, loved this and really looking forward to the next episode. The only negative for me was Russell Tovey who I like in comedies like Him and Her but just wasn't convincing as a posh former army officer and now ambassador.

The two male leads are great, Coleman's character needs a bit more attention and I'm loving the use of Tom Hollander, I think he's already really threatening.
Totally agree, Hugh Laurie just seems perfect for this and Tom Hollander could be the standout given enough screen time. Even more menacing than his hitman in Hannah

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Managed to watch the first 2 episodes of Making a Murderer.
As I got to the end of Ep 1 (before the twist) my initial thoughts were can they drag this out for 10 instalments? and will it hold my interest for those 10 instalments?
It has so far.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

According to this it should...

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Thirteen. A new 5 part BBC drama, not to be mistaken with the film of the same name. Rather, this one is a harrowing drama about a girl (well, now grown woman) who escapes having being snatched as a child and held captive for thirteen years. Was much better than expected, and I have watched next weeks episode on the Iplayer already. As you might expect from a five part story, there looks to be more to what happened in those thirteen years than meets the eye.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: RE: Re: A) New series that might be worth watching

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
Totally agree, Hugh Laurie just seems perfect for this and Tom Hollander could be the standout given enough screen time. Even more menacing than his hitman in Hannah
Or mild mannered Dr Thorne in Dr Thorne.

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

Not a new one but enjoying Almost Human

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2654580/

In the 1% of wifey TV that isn't utter gollox

No vampires or werewolves :D

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Watched the latest episode of Thirteen earlier today. I'd highly recommend it for anyone yet to see it. Exactly the type of drama the BBC should be making to even begin to justify the licence fee. Looking forward to seeing how it all winds up next week.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Death note ?it's old but good . If into that sort of thing

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

Notned wrote:Really enjoyed the first episode of The People v OJ Simpson. Strong cast, and very well acted. Will definitely be tuning in again next week.
The wife and I have been watching this too, we like it but..... my god Travolta has been shite so far.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Backlash wrote:
Notned wrote:Really enjoyed the first episode of The People v OJ Simpson. Strong cast, and very well acted. Will definitely be tuning in again next week.
The wife and I have been watching this too, we like it but..... my god Travlota has been shite so far.
You know, I haven't actually caught a single episode since the debut! Really need to get caught up on it... has it carried on in a similar vein?

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

It's still worth watching but for me it's going backwards from the 1st episode.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Hmm, maybe one for a rainy day if I'm out of options, then!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”