To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

A) New series that might be worth watching

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Re: A) New series that might be worth watching

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Fox are showing a 6 part series of Jack Irish, April 15th at 10pm.

Guy Pearce as a former lawyer turned sometime private Invesitgator/ partime drunk. Based on the Peter Temple books, he's got it nailed down perfectly.

The 3 standalone tv movies that were aired around 12 months ago are currently available on demand.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I thought/think the OJ thing has been ok.
I guess the fact i remember it vividly, but was too young to have bothered paying attention at the time.

So its quite good (obviously not forgetting poetic license i am sure).

As a side note: Travolta; is he acting/in character... or has he got a weird face/mouth thing going on as a result of too much surgery?

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Moist von Lipwig wrote:Fox are showing a 6 part series of Jack Irish, April 15th at 10pm.

Guy Pearce as a former lawyer turned sometime private Invesitgator/ partime drunk. Based on the Peter Temple books, he's got it nailed down perfectly.

The 3 standalone tv movies that were aired around 12 months ago are currently available on demand.
On tonight.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

Stephen King's The Mist picked up by Spike TV: "The network ordered ten one-hour episodes for an adaptation of Stephen King’s novella The Mist. The series is set to premiere next year".

http://www.denofgeek.com/39939/spike-tv ... -to-series

OK, so it's ages off...

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Have you seen the film? Well worth a look.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Moist von Lipwig wrote:Have you seen the film? Well worth a look.

Yep, big fan. That's why I'm so intrigued by this.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

I hope it's better and more accurate than the TV version of Under the Dome. I gave that a series or two but when I read the book afterwards I realised it shared almost nothing with the TV show. Poetic licence is one thing but they took serious liberties.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

DrBunker wrote:I hope it's better and more accurate than the TV version of Under the Dome. I gave that a series or two but when I read the book afterwards I realised it shared almost nothing with the TV show. Poetic licence is one thing but they took serious liberties.
The book was great (I read it first) and the TV series followed it largely to start with but had to digress after a while as the book ending wouldn't have worked well or given them a series 2! Also the producers and Stephen King decide to go all Game Of Thrones and just kill off characters for the fun of it!

Later series were just about watchable but bared no comparison to the book, was a different 'product' by then.

Is 'The Mist' a horror thing? I'm not a horror fan but like some of King's non-horror stuff.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

murf wrote: Is 'The Mist' a horror thing? I'm not a horror fan but like some of King's non-horror stuff.

I'd love to say no as to not put you off, but i'd be fibbing. It's certainly horror, but it's not a full on gorefest or anything.....

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

As 'The Mist' (which is probably my favourite of King's tales) wasn't a full length novel I felt it enabled the movie to do it justice without needing to cut too many corners.

Personally think a ten hour show is going to unnecessarily stretch things out (unless they cover the story in the first half of the season & use new material for the second half) but I'll try to keep an open mind as the core concept of the novel could work very well in an episodic format.

Whatever happens I'm pretty sure that they'll be sticking with the original ending :wink: ...

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Finished tearing through the first season of Power, on Netflix.

"It appears James "Ghost" St. Patrick has it all -- a drop-dead gorgeous wife, a stunning Manhattan penthouse, and the power and success that come with owning hot new nightclub Truth. But a closer look reveals a man living a double life. When Ghost isn't tending to his Fortune 500 business, he's catering to clients of another operation: a drug empire that serves only the rich and influential. While loyal sidekick Tommy protects the cash-cow narcotics venture at all costs, Ghost's new reality is using Truth as more than a front to launder money. It's a way out of the drug game and into a legitimate life with his family, even if everything he loves becomes unknowingly threatened. "Power" is co-executive produced by Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson (who also co-stars) and show creator Courtney Kemp Agboh ("The Good Wife")"

Must admit to never having heard of it until very recently, but glad I did. It's quality.

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

I watched The Jail:60 Days in last night following a recommendation, it's on Sky on one of their Crime channels.
Currently up to episode number 3 with the 4th being aired on Wednesday-Catch up available.

It is about 9 members of the public (American) going into a County Jail with neither the Prison Guards or inmates aware that they're not convicted of any crimes, they are there just to report back to the local Police force on how things can improve within the prison, the 9 have to fabricate a reason why they are there; for some it is proving tricky.
9/10 for me so far

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

Watched all 10 episodes of Wayward Pines Season 1 over the weekend, hard to describe without putting up any Spoilers.

Starring Matt Dillon it's on Sky box sets, I throughly enjoyed it, "If you liked Twin Peaks you'll love this" was mentioned as one review.... but I've not watched Twin Peaks so couldn't say!

Season 2 is coming next month.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Yes, I quite enjoyed it although it started to drag a bit in the middle until the reveal. Will be giving the second series a go.

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

It was a strange show, was really enjoying it until the first big twist was revealed, thought it was stupid & ruined what could have been a good show but then they rescued it by providing a semi acceptable explanation.

Did think the end of the final episode was a disappointingly weak & unimaginative way of paving the way for season 2 but it can't of been that bad as I'll probably end up watching it :wink: ...

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Just watched, well attempted to watch, the opening episode of Spotless on Netflix. Beyond shite.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Was at a loose end, needing a break from Breaking Bad, just done series 3 and prefer a brief interlude before diving into 4.
So looking for an opposite to my other current series, OITNB 4, I have picked up on Stranger Things.
Not taken much notice of any trailers, had no idea what is was about.
Set in the 80's and has a very 80's feel about it, all Dungeons & Dragons, and no mobile phones. Has a bit of E.T. about it too, in the characters.
Hooked after episode one, the next 7 are now lined up before getting back to Walt & Jesse.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:Fox are showing a 6 part series of Jack Irish, April 15th at 10pm.

Did you watch this?

I thought it was ok. A bit too formulaic but it was reasonably well done. Thankfully done over 6 episodes and not milked for more.

I'm not disappointed I watched it, but I'm not chomping at the bit for a second season.

Razorback
FISO Knight

Post by Razorback »

Looking forward to catching this later in the year:

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Re: RE: Re: A) New series that might be worth watching

Zimmerman wrote:

Did you watch this?

I thought it was ok. A bit too formulaic but it was reasonably well done. Thankfully done over 6 episodes and not milked for more.

I'm not disappointed I watched it, but I'm not chomping at the bit for a second season.
I did and I enjoyed it, but tbh it didn't live up to the 3 TV movies that preceded the series.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

if i can ever get my android box working, i will see if i can find/watch them (the films).

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Im on Season 6 of Sons of Anarchy :lol: #Lotsofcatchinguptodo

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Beerfuelledman wrote:Im on Season 6 of Sons of Anarchy :lol: #Lotsofcatchinguptodo
Enjoy! Hands down my favourite TV show of all time.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Just finished smashing through part 1 of The Get Down on Netflix. Eagerly awaiting part 2. Superb.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Luke Cage worth a watch

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Not sure where this sits;

Anybody watched OJ: Made in America?

I'm nearly 3hrs in to the 8hr BBC documentary. It's on iplayer. So far it's been brilliant. A bit slow perhaps, but never dull. Good background on him as a person and player (and also America at the time).

Razorback
FISO Knight

Post by Razorback »

Zimmerman wrote:Not sure where this sits;

Anybody watched OJ: Made in America?

I'm nearly 3hrs in to the 8hr BBC documentary. It's on iplayer. So far it's been brilliant. A bit slow perhaps, but never dull. Good background on him as a person and player (and also America at the time).
Yep, I've seen it & thought that it more than lived up to the hype.

Worthy of a 9/10 but be prepared for some pretty distressing imagery during the latter part of the documentary :( ...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yep, surprised they were allowed some of those images.

It's a great production, and no matter how much you see and learn of the case... the WHOLE thing from the social context, the police, the case itself, the trial, the celebretisation (should be a word if it's not) of the whole case.... all of it is completely staggering. Even by today's social media and reality tv dominance standards.

If it was a movie, you would dismiss it as being completely ridiculous.

Makes you realise the recent TV series was very well done too.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Don't watch The Kettering Incident. Absolute rubbish with a worse finish than Lost.

Almost like a Twin Peaks with zero humour, irony or cherry pie.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Anyone catch this? Started on FX last week... I enjoyed it.

Not sure why, but I'm getting undertones of Flight of the Concordes; maybe it's the hapless and pathetic lead.

Either way, 1 episode in, I'm ready for more.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”