To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Book or Film

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Re: Book or Film

Post by fancy dan »

Pouzar wrote:I also love both Chandler's The Big Sleep and Altman's film version which uses Eliot Gould to hilariously deconstruct the private eye film, although they are almost totally different. Another tie.
Think that last one should be The Long Goodbye, pouzar. Some great films in there (and books!)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

fancy dan wrote:
Pouzar wrote:I also love both Chandler's The Big Sleep and Altman's film version which uses Eliot Gould to hilariously deconstruct the private eye film, although they are almost totally different. Another tie.
Think that last one should be The Long Goodbye

Perhaps that's why they're almost totally different...

:wink:

Pouzar
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd in TFFO 2005

Post by Pouzar »

Absolutely right FD. I re-read my post, caught that and changed it just before before I read your post, but long after you had made it. Altman uses the book as the spine of his film and the ending is totally different but his portrait of Marlowe as a bumbling sucker is hysterically funny. That unforgettable opening scene with Eliot Gould and his cat sets the tone. Do you remember the scene where the thug breaks a coke bottle over the face of his young girlfriend for no apparent reason, then turns to Marlowe and says, I did that to her and I love her. You I don't even like?

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

unc.si. wrote:
fancy dan wrote:
Think that last one should be The Long Goodbye
Perhaps that's why they're almost totally different... :wink:
Very smart, unc :lol:
(And he's Elliott Gould, not Eliot. A great actor, and a real survivor. Every time he appears in Friends - as Ross and Monica's Dad - he just creases me up.)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

I'm a massive fan of Chandler but the only film version that I've seen is Bogie's 'Big Sleep'.

Thinking now I should maybe try the others.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I see they've made High-Rise (JG Ballard) in to a movie.

IMDB rating isn't great, but I'm crossing my fingers the film does the book justice.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Zimmerman wrote:I see they've made High-Rise (JG Ballard) in to a movie.

IMDB rating isn't great, but I'm crossing my fingers the film does the book justice.
Its been directed by Ben Wheatley (Kill List, Sightseerers), which gives you hope, but sadly its not been getting very good early reviews.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”