To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

No need to apologise I’d seen your spoilers and ignored the posts, when I catch up I’ll take a look then.

The only character change I can really think of in S1 was Genny coming back from South America a changed man after having had to chop some dude up.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Great TV Series

Post by Zimmerman »

that was the main/obvious one.

but not only did he come back mentally tougher... he ditched Ciro (who he'd previously idolised).
Lady Imma went from seemingly liking Ciro (giving him the settee for example) to treating him like a dog.

At the end, it all became more apparent and/or justified - just seemed a bit hamfisted to me in getting there.

Cant really recall the others now.

One thing i would say (and this is something Sopranos portrayed too)... what a bleak and miserable life it is being in the mob.
Aside from the boss - they are all as skint as you or me.
Even when they climb the ladder (and get beyond merely being a soldier) - they are still leaving bleak and miserable lives.
They all live in $hitty apartments in the worst possible part of town.

Throw in the fact they are permanently looking over their shoulder or worried about being asked to meet someone or to take a car ride. F that!!! Do one big job/deal and take off with the proceeds.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Very true ZM. I'm now 3 episodes in to S2, not as good so far, much slower pace althugh end of last episode had great twist and another eff bites the dust. :P

Completely missed that the second series of The Sinner started on Netflix, done the first two of 8 pretty good so far watching with the Mrs.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Finished Sinners not bad.
8 done on S2 of Gomorrah.

Edit finished S2. So addictive just had to get to the end. And what an end. Superb.
Last edited by happyhoppy on 16 Nov 2018, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Ooooooo Narcos Mexico added to Netflix.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Okay, I expect to take some flak for this but i'm enjoying watching The Good Place.
Always liked Kristen Bell, since her Veronica Mars days, and she plays a lowlife very well.
Ted Danson is brilliant in this as a stand out, but one of the appeals of this series is all the characters have prominent parts, and some great storylines.
In some ways the first series has a bit of The Prisoner vibe about it.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

happyhoppy wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 14:39 Ooooooo Narcos Mexico added to Netflix. Image
Just as i was welcoming not having any football to distract me this weekend...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

foxinthebox2001 wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 16:28 Okay, I expect to take some flak for this but i'm enjoying watching The Good Place.
Always liked Kristen Bell, since her Veronica Mars days, and she plays a lowlife very well.
Ted Danson is brilliant in this as a stand out, but one of the appeals of this series is all the characters have prominent parts, and some great storylines.
Synopsis makes it sound a bit like My Name is Earl.
Sounds like a bit of light/humourous viewing. Might suggest it as something to watch with Ms Zimm (she always bemoans my choice of dark and depressing or violent offerings).

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Zimmerman wrote:
happyhoppy wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 14:39 Ooooooo Narcos Mexico added to Netflix. Image
Just as i was welcoming not having any football to distract me this weekend...
Now have to decide whether to watch that or S3 of Gomorrah. Loved S2 great end in case you missed my edit above. Very well set up, “blood”!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Finish Gomorrah :)

Then you can start Narcos with no distraction!
Is the whole series available (they haven’t done a Better Call Saul with it)?

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

It’s all released so gorge time for you this weekend! Will be interesting to see how it compares.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Zimmerman wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 18:01
foxinthebox2001 wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 16:28 Okay, I expect to take some flak for this but i'm enjoying watching The Good Place.
Synopsis makes it sound a bit like My Name is Earl.
Sounds like a bit of light/humourous viewing. Might suggest it as something to watch with Ms Zimm (she always bemoans my choice of dark and depressing or violent offerings).
Exactly what I thought but I gave a try anyway, bottom line is it entertained me with the clever sub plots and witty one liners, along with a few running jokes.
The character Janet steals it for me.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Arch Stanton wrote:
Zimmerman wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 07:17 Yep, up to date now and waiting for S4.

You sum it all up perfectly. Yes, the ending was slightly ‘meh’ but was offset by being semi unexpected. What was unexpected was Ciro taking one for the team so to speak... but then again, he believed in the cause so much and some mental loyalty thing that he’d previously killed his own wife!

Be interesting to see where they take it from here.
No finger twitch.
Spoiler Alert

No finger twitch indeed. Image

Edit just looked on a reddit and someone said they saw air bubbles.....

Loved it all. Gripped from start to finish. Yes it maybe was a bit rushed here and there but it keeps it fast paced rather than spending a series waiting for example Genny to get back on his feet again. A bit like when Ciro was in Sofia? all done and dusted in an episode.

I’m assuming Gennys father in law was killed by Ciro in that car bomb? It was not entirely clear maybe leaving it open although I guess the fact they had peace talks thereafter means there was barely anyone left.

Can’t wait for S4 and where they take it from here. Reddit has March as likely return.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yes whilst not 100% confirmed... I’d be amazed if his father in law isn’t brown bread.

Genny
Blue Blood and his boys
The two brothers
Patrizia
Is that it in Napoli?

Will it bring the Romans more in to it?

On a slight tangent... how come it all went nicknames in S3 (I only noticed the odd nickname in the first two series; but S3 they all seemed to have them.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Now into Vikings S4... think I know what happens at the end but a lot of episodes to go before that! Recent highlights and lowlights (most spoilery bits minimised):

* Paris raid at end of S3 was a great battle episode. Looking forward to when they go back there and face off against Rollo...
* Not sure how much I care about the stuff going on in England when the Vikings haven’t been there for quite a while though... obviously it will intersect with the main storyline again at some point, and King Ecbert is a good “calm reasonable man unmasked as ruthless psycho”... but the rest is a bit meh.
* Floki mentoring Ivar is an interesting one... I wonder how he will turn out, I believe he becomes a major character in future series.
* I like the look of the newcomers with the facial tattoos, King Harald(?) and his brother... think they will cause plenty of carnage.
* Can’t believe Lagertha’s a granny :lol: She’s certainly not to be messed with, as her treatment of Kalf shows...

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Aaaarrrr Vikings. New season starts Nov 28 so crack on FF lol

Yeah the sons become very important in the latter series. And Ivar especially.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Is the new one 5b or 6? Not planning on trying to catch up by then anyway, don’t quite have time for such binge-watching :lol:

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

forestfan wrote:Is the new one 5b or 6? Not planning on trying to catch up by then anyway, don’t quite have time for such binge-watching :lol:
Lol
5b

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Finished Narcos Mexico and very enjoyable it was too. Explosive end! Still has much the same feel as the Escobar series but lacks the shock value, it's pretty tame in comparison.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Roots seems to be on iPlayer

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

happyhoppy wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 20:42
forestfan wrote:Is the new one 5b or 6? Not planning on trying to catch up by then anyway, don’t quite have time for such binge-watching :lol:
Lol
5b
Have got to the end of 4a, anyway... some great stuff and some less good bits. The parts involving the main characters maintained the quality, the peripheral storylines less so. All the stuff in Wessex seems pretty pointless since they massacred the Viking settlement, which was a season and a half ago... and they keep cutting back there in the middle of major events such as the Paris battles. It had better be worth it when Ragnar and co. eventually return there.

The big time jumps sometimes happen when you don’t expect them, they must be 20 years on from episode 1 now... obviously they have to recast the youngest characters, but ageing the rest evenly must be a challenge (I think Bjorn looks older than his mother now!)

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

I think it's brilliant. Not remotely a guilty pleasure for me. All the stuff you mention above, it's genuinely funny and sneaks in some thought provoking philosophical stuff while you're not looking. Am now off to look up Veronica Mars...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Have stuck this on the iPad for my trip to London... so might give this a whirl on the way back tonight (instead of Making a Murderer that I watched on the way down).

Some episodes aren’t much more than 20mins so I can get through most of a series by the time I get back.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Rattled through six episodes and i thought it’s ok.

A bit cheesy at times, but I’ve quite enjoyed it.

Making me laugh (which is no mean feat).

Fox - I can see similarities with iZombie in terms of style, which I’m guessing is what appeals to you. Fact that it’s a cheeky young blonde as the lead is purely incidental I’m sure.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Zimmerman wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 13:34 Rattled through six episodes and i thought it’s ok.

A bit cheesy at times, but I’ve quite enjoyed it.

Making me laugh (which is no mean feat).

Fox - I can see similarities with iZombie in terms of style, which I’m guessing is what appeals to you. Fact that it’s a cheeky young blonde as the lead is purely incidental I’m sure.
Could be, but the character that drew me in most (not just for the humour) was Janet. I would marry Janet in a heartbeat.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Ok ok I’m on it

I’ve done 3 so far.

I’m enjoying it but I’m wondering how it’s going to keep fresh and not be repetitive.
Eleanor is very good.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I’m six episodes in, Not got tired yet.

Still chuckling at the stunted swearing... sure that will wear thin eventually, but they haven’t overdone it so it’s ok still.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Where do I find it?

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Netflix

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

happyhoppy wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 16:41 Ok ok I’m on it Image

I’ve done 3 so far.

I’m enjoying it but I’m wondering how it’s going to keep fresh and not be repetitive.
Eleanor is very good.
End of series 1 there is a big twist, and the finale of series 2 will really get your mind spinning.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”