To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Just Finished it @Jacksosi what a superb finale! Overall really well acted throughout and a very enjoyable series one of the best I’ve watched in recent times.

S2 delayed due to Covid was supposed to be this month but now likely to be early 2021.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Re: Great TV Series

Post by jacksosi »

Glad you liked it

The Undoing is good too, but finding adverts really annoying after having not watched anything on Sky for a while

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Yep we’re enjoying the undoing. But we skip the ads having recorded it.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Is that the only way to watch it? Kidman seems to be looking vaguely normal ie not noticed etc. She is brilliant in superb Paper boy (if you get to the end).

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

blahblah wrote:Is that the only way to watch it? Kidman seems to be looking vaguely normal ie not noticed etc. She is brilliant in superb Paper boy (if you get to the end).
There are other ways ....

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

happyhoppy wrote:Yep we’re enjoying the undoing. But we skip the ads having recorded it.
Yeah, we record it too, but it’s really retro having to FF adverts, it’s just a pain !

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Peaky Blinders to end after upcoming series 6. They had previously said there would be 7, but hints of going Breaking Bad-style with a movie spin-off.

Finished the last series of Vikings the other day... I know it’s perhaps been patchy since the main man departed but thought it was a decent enough send-off, with a surprise reappearance of an old favourite. The remaining main characters seemed to lose interest in the “iron throne” of Kattegat so that was a bit of a damp squib but I guess the theme was end of an era, new worlds and things moving on...

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 12:02 Peaky Blinders to end after upcoming series 6. They had previously said there would be 7, but hints of going Breaking Bad-style with a movie spin-off.
Read that this morning - I could have sworn they had said 5 was going to be the last one. Should have been, had been going downhill for a while.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 12:11
forestfan wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 12:02 Peaky Blinders to end after upcoming series 6. They had previously said there would be 7, but hints of going Breaking Bad-style with a movie spin-off.
Read that this morning - I could have sworn they had said 5 was going to be the last one. Should have been, had been going downhill for a while.
I thought the last one was a bit of a return to form, the convoluted one with the Russian stuff (3 or 4?) was the weakest one.

Seems a fair few long-runners are coming towards the end, but the trend seems to be moving towards “of-the-moment” mini-series rather than long-running epics like those that dominated the last decade. We’ll see if that continues.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

forestfan wrote:Peaky Blinders to end after upcoming series 6. They had previously said there would be 7, but hints of going Breaking Bad-style with a movie spin-off.

Finished the last series of Vikings the other day... I know it’s perhaps been patchy since the main man departed but thought it was a decent enough send-off, with a surprise reappearance of an old favourite. The remaining main characters seemed to lose interest in the “iron throne” of Kattegat so that was a bit of a damp squib but I guess the theme was end of an era, new worlds and things moving on...
Finished this also pleased there are no more! Really lost interest after Ragnar.

Been a bit quiet on here lately.

Got the last episode of the serpent a bbc series to watch. And it’s top notch once you get your around the bouncing back and forth on the different timelines. Based on a true story really quite shocking what went on.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I nearly started Serpent this weekend on IPlayer.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:I nearly started Serpent this weekend on IPlayer.
Watched a couple. Not really got into it and you can't binge to the end yet so no rush!

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

Trying a few older series, and enjoying all 3:

Designated Survivor (Netflix) - Very bingeable, slightly cheesy at times but kept our interest as there are lots of cliffhangers. Recommend it to a few people and they are all hooked too.

House of Cards (Netflix ) - really good, West Wing’esq but darker

Heros (Sky) - Thought it was a bit ‘teen’ to start with, but has a number of threads and I’m enjoying it more than I expected to
Last edited by jacksosi on 25 Jan 2021, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

jacksosi wrote:Trying a few older series, and enjoying all 3:

Designed Survivor (Netflix) - Very bingeable, slightly cheesy at times but kept our interest as there are lots of cliffhangers. Recommend it to a few people and they are all hooked too.

Heros (Sky) - Thought it was a bit ‘teen’ to start with, but has a number of threads and I’m enjoying it more than I expected to
Do NOT watch Series 2 of Heroes. Goes so far downhill....

Could never bring myself to watch the yank House Of Cards. An insult to think they could match the brilliant original.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

happyhoppy wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 20:28
forestfan wrote:Peaky Blinders to end after upcoming series 6. They had previously said there would be 7, but hints of going Breaking Bad-style with a movie spin-off.

Finished this also pleased there are no more! Really lost interest after Ragnar.

Been a bit quiet on here lately.

Got the last episode of the serpent a bbc series to watch. And it’s top notch once you get your around the bouncing back and forth on the different timelines. Based on a true story really quite shocking what went on.
Yeah, thought there would be lots of discussion of series on here, goven the lack of other things to do! I know there’s football saturation at the moment which might mean some people are watching nothing else, but it’s had the opposite effect on me to an extent, with a lot of disappointing matches recently.

Anyway I think where Vikings was perhaps lacking compared to say GoT was in keeping the “peripheral” storylines interesting (in GoT even if the writing wasn’t great for a particular sub-plot sometimes, you always cared about one or more of the characters involved and how it would link up with everything else eventually). I do miss having a multi-thread epic to follow now though, is there anything else that’s in the same ballpark as those two?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

murf wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 23:57
jacksosi wrote:

Could never bring myself to watch the yank House Of Cards. An insult to think they could match the brilliant original.
Few programmes have ever matched the original House of Cards but the American version was really good. Not sure how it would land now once Kevin Spacey was disgraced - in the programme there are already very blurred lines between right, wrong and getting away with it.

Heroes - sadly very true. Great set up, soon got confused by it’s own complexity

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 11:13
murf wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 23:57
jacksosi wrote:

Few programmes have ever matched the original House of Cards but the American version was really good. Not sure how it would land now once Kevin Spacey was disgraced - in the programme there are already very blurred lines between right, wrong and getting away with it.

Heroes - sadly very true. Great set up, soon got confused by it’s own complexity
I wasn't even aware of the original HoC, but it looks like only 4 episodes (?) vs 73 episodes (6 seasons) of the US version, so looks like they took the idea and successfully turned it into a much bigger piece of work...not sure why that would be an insult rather than a compliment?

Does Heros get better again in S3 and S4 though?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Anything superhero-based tends to make me tune out, still, I used to say that about dragons and stuff, and had my mind changed dramatically...

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

HoC
Yes, only a mini-series although there was a spin off a couple of years later called To Play The King. WOuldn’t want to give plot twists away on the original to explain the follow up. Do try to catch the BBC ones though,
Yes, turned it in to a bigger budget success.
Insult/compliment - I’ll leave murf to explain that but I don’t agree. For me it was more that it got cancelled when Spacey got charged with all manner of rape/sexual abuse/child charges. Some were only alleged IIRC.

Heroes - some great stuff throughout. But also some gaping plot holes. See how you get on but if you find yourself drifting away from it, you’ve reached peak-Hero and it doesn’t return to S1 form

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Did they not do a series without Spacey?

It’s always a difficult one in terms of the artistic output of a “disgraced” personality... certain individuals’ music, or TOTP episodes, probably won’t ever be broadcast on TV or radio again, but for example there’s plenty of Harvey Weinstein films that you don’t realise he was involved in until you see the credits, and it probably doesn’t really detract from their legacy or repeatability. With actors it’s probably somewhere in between, I guess, and depends on the nature of the role they played.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 11:55 HoC
Yes, only a mini-series although there was a spin off a couple of years later called To Play The King. WOuldn’t want to give plot twists away on the original to explain the follow up. Do try to catch the BBC ones though,
Think there was also a 3rd book and TV series (The Final Cut)

SORT OF SPOILER ALERT - Michael Dobbs could only write the second book after the first TV series, borrowing its significantly revised ending.

No idea why this isn't regularly repeated on TV. I haven't seen it since it first aired.

jacool
Treebeard

Post by jacool »

Main interests are Scandi-Noir (and heavily Netflix-biased) so in order here are faves from that
1. Bordertown (Sorjonen) Three series
2. Deadwind (Karppi) Two series
3. Borderliner (Grenseland) One series
Outside of that we watched Lupin in 2 nights. Now waiting for the next 5 episodes to land.
Myself I caught up with Life On Mars and now on last series of Ashes To Ashes. Love these (but these are mid 2000 shows)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well it’s an ideal time to catch up with classic stuff you’ve never seen... particularly a viewing “project” a number of series long.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

I was going to say I've just watched Derry Girls and really enjoyed it, but thinking that might be a bit low-brow for this thread after reading the last page or so.

But, I have just watched Derry Girls and did really enjoy it :-)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

and watching a murder thingy series set in Dundee which is quite good. Not sure what its called though (my daughter's in charge of the remote), but some young girl moved back and is trying to work out who killed her mother 18 years ago (seems to be just about the whole town as far as I can make out)

Mind you whenever I hear any of the detectives say 'Murder' in a Scottish accent I can't help thinking of Taggart

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, “Traces” I think it’s called, quite enjoyed that... also features Steve from Line of Duty with his natural Scottish accent!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Watched Traces when it was first on (Alibi) - pretty good although did, at times, smell a bit too much of 'Val McDermid has been reading up on forensics and wants to use what she found out'!

Have wondered whether to dabble in Derry Girls...

One I have finally watched lately is all the This Is England series (film then each series in turn). Loved it.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I haven’t seen that either... Stephen Graham was great in Boardwalk Empire (though I’d love to know who first proposed casting a Scouser as Al Capone!) and Line of Duty and that was seemingly his original big break so one I mean to check out sometime.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I've bern rewatching the Clangers, but it doesn't seem to make much sense this time around 🙈

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

forestfan wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 15:33 Yeah, “Traces” I think it’s called, quite enjoyed that... also features Steve from Line of Duty with his natural Scottish accent!
Thats the one. Yes, was good (watched the last one at teatime tonight)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”