To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: Great TV Series

Post by unc.si. »

murf wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 17:30

Have wondered whether to dabble in Derry Girls...
Was expecting Derry Girls to be shite, but it was great. Funny plus good music, so whats not to like

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

For those that want to watch all series of Derry Girls is on 4OD so can be streamed there for nowt.

Also I see people talking about Heroes a few pages back and I finally finished the spin off HEROES REBORN last year and before that the online only webisodes called HEROES DARK MATTERS but also finished HEROES the original 4 season series back in 2017 and did review it then in my FB TV & Box Set Review Group so will copy and paste all 3 reviews here in case anyone is interested and helps them to decide to watch or not watch the shows:

HEROES (2006–2010) - 4/10 (If You Have Nothing Better To Do)

4 Seasons / 77 Episodes / USA

Finally finished the last few episodes of this series and to say the grande finale (S4 E19) was anti-climatic is a giant understatement. I thought Lost was a complete head scratcher come the end and waste of my life but this even though shorter I have come to view in the same vain - plus think why has taken me so long to actually finish the show off. For as time went on I became less and less into it yet didn't want to just quit due to all the hours spent watching it from the start.

I recall fondly over the course of that first season where I found I could scarcely wait to watch the next episode as the mystery of the villanous Sylar and his role in destroying New York City unfolded. The show seemed to have everything it needed: an engrossing plot, a frighteningly powerful villain with a plan, a cute girl, comic relief, political tension, the mysterious Mr. Linderman, and of course, a character with the proper soul of a Hero, Peter Petrelli.

Sadly the later seasons never lived up to the first with new characters being introduced, old characters that were supposedly killed off coming back to life with lots of new stand alone story arcs going off here and there to explain all manner of new charters back stories or how and why supposedly killed off characters have come back or not really dead - jumping forwards and backwards through time not to mention episodes going off on separate story arcs - with many back in the day episodes to explain each character and how they got to where they are now or set up how they meet in the future and how they would know each other or explain how they intertwine with one another. It just became messy and and a whole scrambled mess that never went anywhere but round in circles. Lastly Samuel in season 4 just wasn't a shadow of the scary Sylar villain from season 1.

I guess many a viewer at the time felt the same way I do right now and is the reason why Hereos did not get renewed for a fifth season - as I suspect audience figures by this point had fallen through the floor. It's by no means a bad show but equally nowhere near a top notch TV series either - somewhere in the middle.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0813715/reference

HEROES REBORN: DARK MATTERS (2015) - 6/10 (Good)

This was a webisode series consisting of 6 episodes each between 5 - 13 mins long.

It sets up the new TV spin of series Heroes Reborn from Heroes.

It wasn't widely publicised and I didn't find out about it until I was 1 episode away from finishing Heroes Reborn and then went back and watched this - it made much more sense setting up the new characters seeing this first and explained some things that were missing going straight in to Heroes Reborn from Heroes.

Synopsis: It's been five years since the public became aware of the existence of evolved humans or "EVOs" who possess incredible, supernatural abilities. In that time, the public has grown to either fear or revere EVOs. An online community forms around the rallying cry of the anonymous Hero_Truther, who seeks to humanize EVOs in the wake of lies, slander and fear mongering. Among those posting their personal stories is Phoebe Frady, who is encouraged to document her origin story by her brother, Quentin. But as Phoebe struggles to control her power, she attracts unwanted attention from a mysterious new company.

I really enjoyed these shorts and recommend watching them before going into Heroes Reborn but to truly understand the show you should have finished Heroes (2006-2010 / 4 seasons) first.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4850642/reference

I know how frustrating it can be to find things that are web only so will post a link to each of the 6 Episodes with a synopsis about each one. However I can make no promises how long said links will last (work) as with anything online sites get shut down and links break...

E1. Where Are the Heroes?
As the mysterious Hero_Truther puts out a rallying cry for EVOs to declare themselves by telling personal stories in the wake of fear mongering. This prompts Phoebe to reveal to her brother, Quentin, that she can manipulate shadows.
https://vimeo.com/167358249

E2. Phoebe
Quentin encourages Phoebe to continue documenting her story when she begins college. As Phoebe's power grows, she discovers that there's much more to her ability than she initially realized.
https://vimeo.com/167358250

E3. Registered
After a pro-EVO demonstration at the college gets out of hand, Phoebe is arrested and forced to register in a national database. When Phoebe is approached by Harris with a job offer at the fast-growing tech company named Renautas.
https://vimeo.com/167358252

E4. June 13th
Phoebe goes missing after an argument with Quentin over her ongoing nightmares.
https://vimeo.com/167358251

E5. Renautas
In the wake of tragic events on June 13th, Quentin refuses to believe his sister was involved in the attacks and believes Renautas was behind Phoebe's abduction.
https://vimeo.com/167366764

E6. Where the Truth Lies
Hero_Truther's true identity is revealed when Quentin brings him evidence that connects Renautas to the Primatech Paper Company, leading Quentin to track down a former Primatech employee: Noah Bennet aka HRG (Jack Coleman).
https://vimeo.com/retrofitfilms/darkmatters06

HEROES REBORN (2015 - 2016) - 6/10 (Good)

1 Season / 13 Episodes / USA

Synopsis: The Supernatural phenomenon begins again with a fresh crop of inspiring heroes who take on the ultimate struggle between those with extraordinary abilities and those with nefarious motives to hunt and harness their powers.

A year after the terrorist attack in Odessa, Texas which left the city decimated - the blame for that tragic event fell on those with extraordinary abilities (EVO's for short), who are now either in hiding or on the run from those with nefarious motives towards them. They include vigilantes Luke and Joanne, who are seeking to avenge a tragic loss. This 13-episode event series chronicles the lives of a new group of ordinary people who discover they possess extraordinary abilities. They are fated to cross paths with heroes of the past, including Hiro Nakamura, Matt Parkman, Mohinder Suresh, and the Haitian, among others. Yet together, their ultimate destiny is nothing less than saving the world and mankind all over again.

I actually enjoyed this series I think more than the original Heroes - maybe because it seemed to move faster and tie things up at the end of the season rather than always leaving open endings. I was dismayed to find it was not renewed for a second season. If you liked Heroes then your like this - maybe not so much the ending and weird computer parallel universe but overall it continues and ties up better the Heroes universe.

PS Not really relevant but I thought Kiki Sukezane as Miko Otomo / Katana Girl was super hot in a cos play way! :wink:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3556944/reference

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Call My Agent (Netflix) is quite fun, and not heavy.

I sense that it was a grower as the big stars turn up later - Dalle, Binoche, Huppert et al in cameo send up of themselves ....

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

PRISON BREAK (2005-2009 + 2017) - 5/10 (Worth Watching)

Seasons 5 / Episodes 90 / USA

Finally finished this show - I thought I had done so years ago but never knew it was brought back for a 9 Episode 5th series in 2017 (until a friend mentioned stuff I could not recall at all about PB in the middle east).

I have to say back at the very begining I thought the show was superb - fresh and new. Great storylines and what have you - easy a 7 out of 10. But after 2 seasons it became a bit samey and far to far fetched with the company aspects. Breaking out of yet another prison in another country then being on the run and dodgy FBI agents promissing freedom. It just gt far to far fetched. The final straw to drop the rating down to 5 was the final season - firstly it was to short and it was all to done before - worst of all Michael was killed of end of season 4 in the two part The Final Break but to have him return in season five they have to undo all that - if i guy dies being electricuted to deth there's no faking that... it's total BS. Then Season 5 yet another prison break out and going on the run and a big mastermind behind eveything. Sadly it should of just been left alone and ended in 2009.

Overall its Worth Watching but I can understand if people get tired with the same ol same ol premise after about 2-3 seasons. It slowly tails off - it's not boring but it's not as good as them early years.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455275/reference

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

We really enjoyed the 6 episode Netflix series behind her eyes.

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Great TV Series

Post by Moon Knight »

Watched both series of ‘Staged’ on BBC iPlayer at the weekend.

David Tennant and Michael Sheen very good at sending themselves up. A cameo from Dame Judy Dench particularly funny.
Mainly consists of Zoom calls between the pair during lockdown. Loved it.

Episodes are about 15 mins each so you can whizz through it in no time.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

happyhoppy wrote:We really enjoyed the 6 episode Netflix series behind her eyes. Image
Got that one marked.

Have had Netflix for a while now but rarely use it. Currently watching The Valhalla Murders (but like much of Netflix it is just old terrestrial stuff -BBC4 I believe). Quite enjoying it but the dubbing is awful. Bored Americans just reading their lines, the accents, emotions and diction etc just don't fit the character/actor.

KayBur
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: 2

Post by KayBur »

I decided to watch the series Lucifer. I was going to do it for a very long time and finally decided. The first season looked at one go. The main character is very charismatic, perfectly plays his role between good and evil. The series is detective. So, it will also appeal to those people who like to watch murder investigations.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

happyhoppy wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 07:52 We really enjoyed the 6 episode Netflix series behind her eyes. Image
Just started it, and I know who to blame.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

1st Episode is kinda limp, but psycho wife seems ..... while hubby a bit twee. Sec's mate seems OK and loads of lingering camera shots of eyes....

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

blahblah wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 18:02 1st Episode is kinda limp, but psycho wife seems ..... while hubby a bit twee. Sec's mate seems OK and loads of lingering camera shots of eyes....
Without spoiling it, keep watching

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Worth watching just for Adele....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

happyhoppy wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 18:12 Worth watching just for Adele....
As above, she seems the most interesting, or am I in love 😂

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Stena Bib wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 18:12
blahblah wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 18:02 1st Episode is kinda limp, but psycho wife seems ..... while hubby a bit twee. Sec's mate seems OK and loads of lingering camera shots of eyes....
It seems worth a binge on a CL evening 😂

But looks more like a film than 6 hour thang.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Stena Bib wrote:
Yeah it’s kinda crazy the path this goes. Again trying not to say too much.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

happyhoppy wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 18:19
Stena Bib wrote:
Yeah it’s kinda crazy the path this goes. Again trying not to say too much.
You're OK, as in off the hook. 😂

If Adelle is 2nd Gen Irish Catholic then I've been out with her 😂😂😂

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Mrs Brittas 👏👏👏👏

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Probably the best Scandi Noir French\German thing I've seen made in England(English).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

But husband is a bad actor or bad script - I sense the former.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Yeah the hubby is the weak link.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

happyhoppy wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 21:23 Yeah the hubby is the weak link.
A weak Control Freak is a submissive....

Tbh: it is one of the better English thing like this. Brother Tom (Eng Film) and Girl Next Door (Scandi film) are good if you like this....

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

murf wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 11:10Currently watching The Valhalla Murders (but like much of Netflix it is just old terrestrial stuff -BBC4 I believe). Quite enjoying it but the dubbing is awful. Bored Americans just reading their lines, the accents, emotions and diction etc just don't fit the character/actor.
On Netflix, you can turn off dubbing and go back to subtitles if you prefer...I did that when watching 'Dark', can't bear dubbing

Series-wise, some my favourites are on Netflix
- Narcos
- Fargo
- Umbrella Academy
- Mindhunter
- Stranger Things
- Watchmen
- The Good Place

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

jacksosi wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 11:41
murf wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 11:10Currently watching The Valhalla Murders (but like much of Netflix it is just old terrestrial stuff -BBC4 I believe). Quite enjoying it but the dubbing is awful. Bored Americans just reading their lines, the accents, emotions and diction etc just don't fit the character/actor.
On Netflix, you can turn off dubbing and go back to subtitles if you prefer...I did that when watching 'Dark', can't bear dubbing
Thanks - I'll try that (although Mrs m is not a fan of having to read subtitles - hopefully she'll agree to try it on Valhalla as the dubbing is so awful)

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

murf wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 11:48
Thanks - I'll try that (although Mrs m is not a fan of having to read subtitles - hopefully she'll agree to try it on Valhalla as the dubbing is so awful)
Ditto Mrs j :roll: :lol:
It does stop you simultaneously playing with your phone though, which has pros and cons :mrgreen:

KayBur
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: 2

Post by KayBur »

jacksosi wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 11:54
murf wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 11:48
Ditto Mrs j :roll: :lol:
It does stop you simultaneously playing with your phone though, which has pros and cons :mrgreen:
Yes, a very exciting series, if while watching it you want to flip through the feed of social networks or play a game.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Heads up that the Bates motel (pre Pyscho) is on bbc. Now that’s worth watching! We loved it.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

With thingy from Sex Education and M and Scully?

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

blahblah wrote:With thingy from Sex Education and M and Scully?
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0267812/bio?ref_=m_mn_ov_bio

She’s quite nice in this too. Image

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Different version then lol

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Survivors, one of the greatest ever TV series... and somewhat prescient.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”