To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Great TV Series

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 11:17 I'm also (finally) catching up on the final series of Peaky Blinders (about half way through). A bit of a return to its roots and better for it.
Final one to date that is... there’s three more to come, as announced earlier this year!

S4 was good, the previous one with the Russians etc. did get a bit convoluted and away from its roots I agree though there was quite a shocking twist at the end of it...

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

blahblah wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 22:32 Dept Q is quite good (BBC2 or 4 but on i-player)
Loved Department Q. The first film where the killer was keeping her in the compression chamber was really good, I saw it on BBC 4 so I think of it as the first film anyway as that is how it was broadcast.
Zimmerman wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 07:25 I started Gomorrah the other week. Watched four episodes back to back and haven’t had an opportunity to revisit. So far so good. A lazy comparison, but it’s an Italian version of Sopranos (so far).
It does have some similarities with the Sopranos - soft, overweight son who is moulded by a domineering mother, double crossing, ruthlessness etc but i am guessing that is probably a common set up among Italian crime families.

I found the second series a bit of a slog but the third one was excellent.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Another good looking drama started last night on BBC called Informer. Me and the Mrs enjoyed E1.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Finished season one of Gomorrah.

Some annoyances (like massive character changes overnight with little indication of lapsed time or changes in circumstances).

The finale to the season also annoyed me

Spoiler:

Breaking dad out after he’d been pretending to be almost vegetative (and who’s broken him out?... everyone in his clan/family is dead)

Then Genny just twitching his finger right at the end of the episode to suggest he isn’t dead afterall left me disappointed

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

Zimmerman wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 09:55 Finished season one of Gomorrah.

Some annoyances (like massive character changes overnight with little indication of lapsed time or changes in circumstances).

Spoiler:

Breaking dad out after he’d been pretending to be almost vegetative (and who’s broken him out?... everyone in his clan/family is dead)

Then Genny just twitching his finger right at the end of the episode to suggest he isn’t dead afterall left me disappointed
It is ages since I have seen it but which characters have massive character changes and why? If you are talking about Genny, there is a reason why he changes but I can't remember if it explains it in the first series, so I won't go into detail but it would change most people I reckon. If you mean his Dad well when push comes to shove he loves power more than his son or anything else. They all do to greater or lesser extents and their characters change accordingly when they think they are losing it/have a chance to increase it.

There is at least one major player of his clan who is alive who could easily hire people to help with the breakout. I can't remember his name but he helps him in the next series as well.

Haha, he can't be dead, he is the major character, everything revolves around him in the second and third series but yeah it was a lame, cheap trick.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:
murf wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 11:17 I'm also (finally) catching up on the final series of Peaky Blinders (about half way through). A bit of a return to its roots and better for it.
Final one to date that is... there’s three more to come, as announced earlier this year!

S4 was good, the previous one with the Russians etc. did get a bit convoluted and away from its roots I agree though there was quite a shocking twist at the end of it...
Ta, didn't realise that. Maybe they won't all die at the end then! (Ssshhh, no spoilers)

-----

Informer - saw the ads. Will be loading that onto my box. EDIT - All(?) 6 episodes on iPlayer for bingers.
Last edited by murf on 17 Oct 2018, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Gomorrah SPOILER

Yes, i get the Genny went off and had to chop someone up, undoubtedly that would change him.

It was just so dramatic and quick and it was more how they (mum and Genny) dropped Ciro; he went from second in command to being a ‘soldier’ in no time.

And I get that they tried to explain it late on (she revealed she’d never trusted him in the penultimate episode) and Genny wanted to show he was his own man).

It was just a little bit cumbersome and rushed (for me).

I’m half thinking I now know what’s possibly occurred with the rescue.

Anyway, despite my gripes, I enjoyed and will stick with it for sure.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Gomorrah SPOILER

Yes, i get the Genny went off and had to chop someone up, undoubtedly that would change him.

It was just so dramatic and quick and it was more how they (mum and Genny) dropped Ciro; he went from second in command to being a ‘soldier’ in no time.

And I get that they tried to explain it late on (she revealed she’d never trusted him in the penultimate episode) and Genny wanted to show he was his own man).

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Gomorrah SPOILER

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

murf wrote:
forestfan wrote:

Ta, didn't realise that. Maybe they won't all die at the end then! (Ssshhh, no spoilers)

-----

Informer - saw the ads. Will be loading that onto my box. EDIT - All(?) 6 episodes on iPlayer for bingers.
Didn’t realise they have released the whole series. Image

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

Zimmerman wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 11:23 Gomorrah SPOILER

As far as the relationship between Genny and Ciro was concerned I got the impression that even though they were friends he bullied Genny. Ciro thought he was basically going to take over and bully Genny into doing what he wanted with the old man inside. Genny had been spoilt most of his life and was totally unprepared to lead a crime syndicate and Ciro knew that (as did his mother). When he came back from the Jungle he wasn't willing to be pushed around/bullied anymore.

The father being in prison changed the dynamic for the mother as well. I don't think she had much say when he was around and used to hold her own council. When he was out of the picture she started making decisions such as sending Genny off to the jungle to toughen him up (which he definitely needed). Also his mother could now show her true colours as far as Ciro were concerned (her instincts were right, he was really close to grassing them all up before the Dad got jailed and he saw a chance to become top dog through Genny instead).

Glad you enjoyed and are going to stick with it I am interested in what you think of the second series once you have seen it.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Arch Stanton wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 09:17
blahblah wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 22:32 Dept Q is quite good (BBC2 or 4 but on i-player)
Loved Department Q. The first film where the killer was keeping her in the compression chamber was really good, I saw it on BBC 4 so I think of it as the first film anyway as that is how it was broadcast.
Zimmerman wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 07:25 I started Gomorrah the other week. Watched four episodes back to back and haven’t had an opportunity to revisit. So far so good. A lazy comparison, but it’s an Italian version of Sopranos (so far).
It does have some similarities with the Sopranos - soft, overweight son who is moulded by a domineering mother, double crossing, ruthlessness etc but i am guessing that is probably a common set up among Italian crime families.

I found the second series a bit of a slog but the third one was excellent.
On phone and tweaking quotes is beyond me. Was that the Dept Q with the brilliant ending? (Started in school days) I've just put 1st on and twas the 2nd one which I prefered, but I did watch that first for some iPlayer reason. The teeth but in your one was :cry:

I've just watched Ep6 of Black Earth Rising and this is when it seems to warm up... Tbh I'll watch the rest back as it seems rather formulaic ie a far from intelligent bod stumbling into some form of truth as per Bodyguard and Eve after overcoming domestic hardship etc and is kinda like the US Stallone one man against all revealing truth but the (real life) perpetrators of the lies continue... Kinda my Brexit\Cornyn\Sanders\Trump point. I feel like a dose of Colombo :wink:

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

blahblah wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 00:04 Was that the Dept Q with the brilliant ending? (Started in school days)
No, that sounds like the Absent One.

I thought they were all pretty good though. The Keeper of Lost Causes was were the politician disappeared on the ferry and was kept in a compression chamber. I had never seen someone use a compression chamber as a jail before but it is a pretty good way of stopping someone from escaping. The one that started in the school days reminded me of Mr Vengeance.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Arch Stanton wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 18:46
blahblah wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 00:04 Was that the Dept Q with the brilliant ending? (Started in school days)
No, that sounds like the Absent One.

I thought they were all pretty good though. The Keeper of Lost Causes was were the politician disappeared on the ferry and was kept in a compression chamber. I had never seen someone use a compression chamber as a jail before but it is a pretty good way of stopping someone from escaping. The one that started in the school days reminded me of Mr Vengeance.
Yep, and a good twist on the Whodunnit idea, imho.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Making a Murderer has restarted on Netflix. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yes, making a murderer (my fear is they stretch it out too thin. Sinner also has a second series I think - I was 50/50 on the first series... but will be lured back to watch this I’m sure. Series 2 or Ozark came out recently too. Found that quite enjoyable but for some reason Ms Zimm hasn’t been keen to start it (S2)... so might become a solo project.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Gomorrah I’m now half way through Season 3. Enjoying that much more that S2. Found S2 to just be constant killing and plotting and double crossing. In itself not a bad thing, but it was relentless and you never quite got to enjoy character development etc.

Obviously a lot of that ‘action’ is what keeps you watching (and who is shafting who next).

S3 seems a bit slower paced in that regard (and better for it). I still maintain that the series as a whole makes massive leaps of progression - but not enough to put me off.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Zimmerman wrote:Yes, making a murderer (my fear is they stretch it out too thin. Sinner also has a second series I think - I was 50/50 on the first series... but will be lured back to watch this I’m sure. Series 2 or Ozark came out recently too. Found that quite enjoyable but for some reason Ms Zimm hasn’t been keen to start it (S2)... so might become a solo project.
@MaM it’s actually really good done 6 so far and reveals with the new defence attorney Kathleen? how bungled the original defence was. Maybe due to financial constraints whereas Kathleen has taken it on pro bono and has no such problems.

@ Sinner a second series? Not sure how that is going to work. Apparently restarts Nov 9. Like you as I’m invested I’ll give it a try.

@ Ozark S2 as mentioned before I didn’t take to this as much as S1.

@ Gomaroh I’m starting this next. Sounds like I’m going to need to give this time.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Its not really a slow burner, quite the opposite.
Its all in and all up front from the off.

Its horses for courses. My initial post, lazily compared it to Sopranos - but its very different to that in reality.
Whereas the Sopranos was more of a character based show (and the mobster stuff was almost a secondary topic) this is ALL about the 'business'. Definitely some character stuff (and you absolutely get invested in some of the characters).

Its good. Worth watching (a reasonable amount of violence (and graphic too)).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Just finished S2 of Vikings, still enjoying it. Pretty fast paced compared to its most obvious comparison, they don't spend several episodes building up to a battle... still just about enough time for character development though. Ragnar's obviously the main man, but Floki and Athelstan are the most interesting supporting characters. Another one where nobody is safe though, the attrition rate among the minor characters is pretty high!

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

Zimmerman wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 08:04 Gomorrah I’m now half way through Season 3. Enjoying that much more that S2. Found S2 to just be constant killing and plotting and double crossing. In itself not a bad thing, but it was relentless and you never quite got to enjoy character development etc.

Obviously a lot of that ‘action’ is what keeps you watching (and who is shafting who next).

S3 seems a bit slower paced in that regard (and better for it). I still maintain that the series as a whole makes massive leaps of progression - but not enough to put me off.
The second series really put me off almost to the point I didn't bother with the third one but I am glad I did watch it, it was much better. I have never noticed the massive leaps of progression and usually I am always nit picking I can't help it, it never spoils what I am watching though.

I was talking to someone I go to dinner with at work about it on Friday and he said the same as you about the killing, for him it had got to the point where it had completely lost it's effectiveness because you were expecting it, he felt it was totally overused. For me it has had some great set pieces as good as anything in the Godfather films, I am thinking of the killing of the mother and another one I won't mention but I definitely take the point.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Done 5 (nearly 6) episodes of Gomorrah yesterday and really enjoying it so far.

@FF - S3 was really good from memory too, glad you're enjoying it.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Gomorrah SPOILER

Arch - it’s things like Genny going from being beaten and dumped in the street destitute to being a boss again in no time.

The bank job they pulled to start it rolling.

Patricia going from being a shop girl to a mobster consultancy service (and seeming no. 2 to Annalise).

Blue Blood going from a guy selling a bit of weed to City overlord in no time.

I get that you there is a foundation for these leaps/progression (blue blood being the grandson of a former boss or Patricia being the niece of whatshisname).... but it’s all just a bit ‘convenient’/rushed.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m nitpicking. I’m enjoying it and will continue watching, it’s just the finer detail that stops it from being a ‘great’ series

EDIT and now posh kid who two minutes ago was just someone who bought their weed off them is taking on the role of leader whilst blue blood is in hospital and all his ‘boys’ don’t say boo (probably in the previous episode they were questioning why blue blood was assuming the role of leader.

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

Zimmerman wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 13:32 Gomorrah SPOILER

Arch - it’s things like Genny going from being beaten and dumped in the street destitute to being a boss again in no time.

The bank job they pulled to start it rolling.

Patricia going from being a shop girl to a mobster consultancy service (and seeming no. 2 to Annalise).

Blue Blood going from a guy selling a bit of weed to City overlord in no time.

I get that you there is a foundation for these leaps/progression (blue blood being the grandson of a former boss or Patricia being the niece of whatshisname).... but it’s all just a bit ‘convenient’/rushed.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m nitpicking. I’m enjoying it and will continue watching, it’s just the finer detail that stops it from being a ‘great’ series

EDIT and now posh kid who two minutes ago was just someone who bought their weed off them is taking on the role of leader whilst blue blood is in hospital and all his ‘boys’ don’t say boo (probably in the previous episode they were questioning why blue blood was assuming the role of leader.
Don't read this until you are finished because I am not sure what is a spoiler and what isn't as I am going off memory, although I will try to keep it vague.

I think they are fair points and I understand why you think them and are (to a certain extent) irritated by them. It does all happen pretty quickly. You also seem to have anticipated why I accepted these plot points without complaint. The main reason I accepted it was because I never saw Patirica's or Blueblood's rise as down to them.

I am not sure what episode you are up but I have a feeling you will hate the ending because the things you hate are all foreshadowing to make the last few episodes seem believable.

You are right about blue blood/Patricia thing being a bit convenient but it also provides context if nothing else. What I would say it is the connection (family ties) and the circumstances are important. The two of them are just pawns in Ciro's/Genny's game, they are being told what to do (in Patricia's case) and manipulated into what to do (In Blue Blood's case) by Ciro who is truly Machiavellian and Genny. They both needed people with a strong enough motivation such as revenge, a family history to make them seem authentic and ambition.

The driving force behind their rise is Genny and Ciro. They needed someone with a ready made gang and burning hatred of the people they wanted overthrow and Blue Blood definitely fits into that category, Ciro sees that and exploits it. Genny grooms Patricia, by helping with her brother and trusting her with important stuff. Also Patricia's friend Marinella's life was destroyed by Scianel (Annalise's son). They needed someone they could trust who would be motivated and authentic enough to be convincingly inserted in to Annalise's inner circle. Although why such a cynical/callous person as Annalise would take a relative stranger to heart is a bit of a stretch I can only assume it is an attraction or she sees something of herself in her or maybe it is because her son died and it is some sort of weird maternal thing. Possibly she trusts her because Genny killed his father/her lover, I don't know. One thing I do know is they only get in the positions they are in because Genny/Ciro want them there, that is the important part. I won't spoil it but once they do get there, then all bets are off.

Genny going from being beaten and dumped in the street destitute to being a boss again in no time - yeah it is pretty quick no doubt even with Ciro's help.

Bank job - yeah pretty ridiculous, a means to an end.

To accept the bank job and Genny getting on his feet in no time, in fact all of it, you have to really accept that Ciro is a criminal mastermind.

Posh boy, I never really understood that relationship to be honest, I thought maybe he was in love with Blue Blood but even then some of the things he does are mad and seemingly out of character. He steps up more than once and stepping up when he was in hospital was maybe a case of the gang needing a leader, they were essentially followers, even if they were questioning Blue blood's role as leader they needed someone to take control in a crisis. Posh boy and Blue Blood were pretty close but why he should take on the role of leader or why they should listen to him specifically (other than his unwavering faith is Blue Blood) I am not sure.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yep, up to date now and waiting for S4.

You sum it all up perfectly. Yes, the ending was slightly ‘meh’ but was offset by being semi unexpected. What was unexpected was Ciro taking one for the team so to speak... but then again, he believed in the cause so much and some mental loyalty thing that he’d previously killed his own wife!

Be interesting to see where they take it from here.

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

Zimmerman wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 07:17 Yep, up to date now and waiting for S4.

You sum it all up perfectly. Yes, the ending was slightly ‘meh’ but was offset by being semi unexpected. What was unexpected was Ciro taking one for the team so to speak... but then again, he believed in the cause so much and some mental loyalty thing that he’d previously killed his own wife!

Be interesting to see where they take it from here.
No finger twitch.
Last edited by Arch Stanton on 09 Nov 2018, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Ignoring your comments above unless they’re S1?

Finished Season 1 of Gomorrah. Wow absolutely superb! Edge of the seat stuff.

Spoiler
Can’t believe they got rid of Imma, thought she would be around forever. And the way they dispense with characters like Daniele is brutal. They draw you into these characters and then blow them away lol

Minor Spoiler
Loved the finger twitch at the end to let us know he wasn’t finished just yet! Set up nicely for S2 with the father escaping.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

The bit you loved I hated :D
Zimmerman wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 09:55 Finished season one of Gomorrah.

Spoiler:

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

. I loved it all. I take your points but it didn’t detract from my enjoyment at all.

Can you give some examples of the character change comment I’m struggling!

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

happyhoppy wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 17:45 Ignoring your comments above unless they’re S1?
Oh man, I have taken a huge spoiler out of one of my posts, it would ruin it for me if I read it. I am sorry if you did, I am guessing you didn't since you haven't mentioned it. Didn't think anyone else wouldn't have seen it by now but edited the post just in case there are others who haven't and they accidentally read it.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”