To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Re: Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

Amazing how well that worked for Jon isn't it, He finds out he has a claim, they beat the NK and lose Dany's two most loyal followings in the process. With Rheaghal potentially having split loyalties now Jon has ridden him as well...

Daario supplying reinforcements seems possible and we haven't heard much from the Dornish in a long time.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

There’s no Dornish named characters left alive, are there... I guess the ordinary people of that region are just living quietly while providing Cersei and Tyrion with wine :wink:

Dany and Jon (and their dragons) surely won’t turn against each other before such time as Cersei is defeated, that would be the biggest own goal possible.

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man

forestfan wrote: 02 May 2019, 12:19 There’s no Dornish named characters left alive, are there... I guess the ordinary people of that region are just living quietly while providing Cersei and Tyrion with wine :wink:

Dany and Jon (and their dragons) surely won’t turn against each other before such time as Cersei is defeated, that would be the biggest own goal possible.
Ellaria is presumed dead, I don't think we actually saw Cersei kill her. Prince Martell had sons in the books but I don't think we've ever been introduced on the show, they do seem a bit forgotten down there.

I think we could see some arguing about what happens next in this coming episode. Sansa will surely want to know the final outcome if she sends "her" men South (and they surely are hers now). We know she has her own reasons to take Cersei out but Sansa won't want to get involved if it involves bending the knee to Dany and losing the Sovereignty of the North.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

We’re all assuming that pre war values and beliefs still exist. Perhaps after the experience they’ve all just been through some/all will have a new perspective about what is important/proper/desirable?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 02 May 2019, 14:09 We’re all assuming that pre war values and beliefs still exist. Perhaps after the experience they’ve all just been through some/all will have a new perspective about what is important/proper/desirable?
Yeah, we will get three episodes of everyone being nice to each other. The Starks might even negotiate an orderly Nexit :wink:

I think the one thing that’s for certain in reality is there will be more carnage :lol:

As for Dorne, it was pretty much universally viewed as the worst story arc in the show, and I believe parts of the more convoluted book version have been panned as well. I don’t expect it to be revisited in the remaining episodes! Or maybe whoever wins will give it to Bronn, I think he’d be happy to be Prince of Dorne...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

No but Sansa might not feel the need to respect previous promises of the north... given 99% of it has been wiped out. Or Dany might of had an epiphany and decided to let Jon have it... he might step aside and let her have it.

The carnage will (I assume) come from Cersei trying to wiped them all out. They have a mega army presumably sailing and marching towards a battle weary group of people who don’t even have a castle to defend.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

True but Cersei can't end up top dog - that would be just too depressing.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

No, I think she’ll wipe a load out and then good will finally triumph (my own view is that John will be the ‘winner’ but he’ll get rid of the the iron thrown and maybe dissolve the 7 kingdoms.

#threxit 🤣

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 02 May 2019, 19:04 No but Sansa might not feel the need to respect previous promises of the north... given 99% of it has been wiped out. Or Dany might of had an epiphany and decided to let Jon have it... he might step aside and let her have it.

The carnage will (I assume) come from Cersei trying to wiped them all out. They have a mega army presumably sailing and marching towards a battle weary group of people who don’t even have a castle to defend.
The only weapon they really have is the dragons, which is why I think Dany will have no choice but to go Mad Queen and burn King’s Landing. I expect Qyburn will have prepared another mega-crossbow or two, or a new anti-dragon weapon...

If they need somewhere to retreat to and retrench, I suspect there’s a few empty castles in the North, given all the houses that are wiped out... the lack of numbers is the major issue though.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Is there anyone left on the iron islands?

Obviously uncle must have chopped down every tree to build his fleet and presumably took all the men... but Theons sister returned. Is there any chance of her being able to get an army/navy together?

In my mind i always picture it like Winterfell is like Yorkshire or above and Kingslanding is London. Is there anyone in between... or were they already obliterate and/or sign allegiance one way or the other? Where was High Garden?

What about Jaquen and his crew (does he have a crew)... or are they the lot Cersei has bought with all the gold she stole?

Cersei must get wiped out because there was the prophecy with the witch that had said she’d have three children (which she has had already). So presumably the baby she is currently carrying won’t be born.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, the Freys were in between, but Arya wiped them out... not sure what happened to her uncle, Edmure Tully? Highgarden’s somewhere down south, but the Lannisters took that.

I think Jaqen was just a plot device for Arya to acquire her skills, don’t think he had an army or needed one for his line of business!

Lister
Grumpy Old Baggie
FS Record: Won a few golf things a long time ago!!

Post by Lister »

Jara said she would take the Iron Islands back so Dani would have somewhere to return to if the army if the dead were not defeated.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

forestfan wrote: 03 May 2019, 08:36 I think Jaqen was just a plot device for Arya to acquire her skills, don’t think he had an army or needed one for his line of business!
Was thinking more in terms of ‘where’ he was (rather than him having his own crew).

Is the land where he lives where Cersei has bought all her army from (it was where all the money men were... the fella out of League of Gentleman)?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Is it starting to unravel for Dany? Seems to be being played quite well by Cersie. Could be quite a conundrum for John Snow to sort soon.

Either way lots happening again and not much time for resolution.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

There's rumours on the interweb that the ending is utter pants.

I hope not and these just turn out to be mere rumours.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

in fairness.... the ending has to be pants. How can they do anything that isn't an anticlimax.

I found the latest instalment to be yet more hollywood-ised annoyance.
a) how quick have they got from the North down to Kings Landing?
b) why the *&^% was she not flying her Dragons at altitude to take a peak at what lies ahead?
c) if she had done B, she could have come round the back of the fleet and torched them all.

Instead, she's lost another dragon and we've zero chance of seeing missande bathing in another stream (or was she doing her laundry).

d) Cersei - who's willing to bomb the Citadel and thousands of her own people... but is willing to honour some war code of conduct and not just slaughter Tyrion, Grey Worm and Dany etc right there and then?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The ending is always going to be divisive, as it won’t be the precise one that individuals are hoping for. And those who wanted a White Walker-based endgame have already (seemingly) been disappointed.

Those venting the most anger are the long-time book fans who for the last few years have been angry at GRRM for not finishing the books, at Benioff and Weiss for diverting from them, and at HBO for not waiting for them. And probably at their cult fantasy epic becoming the most popular TV show in the world, rather like fans of a once obscure and critically acclaimed band that have now “sold out” and are headlining festivals.

I haven’t pinned my hopes on any specific ending, the only things that I think would really leave me feeling cheated are an “it was all a dream” scenario or a massive unresolved cliffhanger. It might be underwhelming, but at least they will have given it a proper ending, not just left it to fizzle out or become an endless soap opera.

Regarding the points above... they can’t string a journey out over several episodes now as they haven’t got other storylines to cut back to, it’s a consequence of it all coming together for a finale. And if Cersei attacked them all then surely Drogon would just come in and torch her, it would be a suicide move, unless her archers got lucky?

As for maximum dragon flying altitude, I’ll have to Google it :wink:

Oh, and they did remember about Dorne, the “new Prince of Dorne” has given Dany and co. his support... I’d put good money on the fact that we won’t actually see him (or even learn his name) in the remaining two episodes though :wink:

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man

I have to agree, very few long running shows get endings that satisfy the fanbase as they have so much time to build up an ending in their heads and GoT has more potential paths than most and more characters to be invested in. It will be a let down to most as the wrong person will be on the throne in their eyes and certain characters didn't get the ending they had imagined for them.

There is definitely more than one dragon in the next episode, bar some trick with Drogon like armour or flying out of the sun I can't see any other reason for the look of shock on Euron's face when he looked skywards in the trailer.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

I just hope it's better than "Lost" :|

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: 09 May 2019, 21:56 I just hope it's better than "Lost" :|
I’ve never watched that, but didn’t it turn crap a long time before the last few episodes?

I know some say that about GoT, though they’re in the minority... even if I’d say season 4 was the best overall and season 6 had the best two episodes. A definitive ending has to be a bit contrived, and that’s what we’ve seen the past two series. It’s still good but in a different way. It’s a show about dragons and zombies after all, don’t overthink every plot hole or violation of Newton’s laws of physics :wink:

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

So which do you think were the best two episodes in Series 6? (Don't worry, I'm not looking for an argument, just interested as I didn't rate Series 6 that highly ...)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Billy Whiz wrote: 09 May 2019, 23:54 So which do you think were the best two episodes in Series 6? (Don't worry, I'm not looking for an argument, just interested as I didn't rate Series 6 that highly ...)
The last two - agree it was a bit of a patchy series overall, but finished in style. BotB for fairly obvious reasons, and then the finale with the scene leading up to Cersei blowing up the Sept, which is probably my favourite bit of TV of all time - that music, the way the tension builds up to the moment we see that massive green fireball. Then it’s one big payoff after another the rest of the episode, the pie scene, Jon’s parentage, King in the North 2 etc...

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Whilst I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole series I am always a little disappointed when the focus moves "down south" and am always waiting to see what is happening "up north", and in particular north of the wall.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Well I can't see much happening north of the wall now - especially since the wall no longer exists!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Billy Whiz wrote: 10 May 2019, 17:05 Well I can't see much happening north of the wall now - especially since the wall no longer exists!
Well, I don’t think they destroyed the whole thing, just a big enough hole for the White Walker army to march through... not sure who the Starks will get to pay for the repairs though :wink: But yeah, not sure there’s anyone/anything left up there for the time being!

I always saw Winterfell and King’s Landing as the “core” locations anyway, with everything else being somewhat peripheral, if generally important to the story as a whole in some way or other.

Lister
Grumpy Old Baggie
FS Record: Won a few golf things a long time ago!!

Post by Lister »

The Wildlings have gone back to Castle Black, I wonder if in some twist we will see them again?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Lister wrote: 10 May 2019, 18:21 The Wildlings have gone back to Castle Black, I wonder if in some twist we will see them again?
Maybe just in a Return of the Jedi-style celebration scene at the end?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

forestfan wrote: 10 May 2019, 18:30
Lister wrote: 10 May 2019, 18:21 The Wildlings have gone back to Castle Black, I wonder if in some twist we will see them again?

Perhaps they could turn up to save the day when everything is going pear shaped after having had a change of mind.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Spinynorman wrote: 10 May 2019, 19:51

Perhaps they could turn up to save the day when everything is going pear shaped after having had a change of mind.
There aren’t many left though, are there... unless Tormund finds a couple of long lost giants back up North?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

forestfan wrote: 10 May 2019, 19:56
Spinynorman wrote: 10 May 2019, 19:51

There aren’t many left though, are there... unless Tormund finds a couple of long lost giants back up North?

Might also take them a long time to catch up although some journeys in GOT are quicker than others. :mrgreen:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”